What gives?

Pericles

I'm looking to get a plot on the map and it looks like every space open is taken by someone as a "protectorate". What gives? How is someone supposed to get involved if all the land is taken...?

Protectorates are there for new players, to protect them from being gobbled up by imperious players (as was a problem in the past).

I'm looking to get a plot on the map and it looks like every space open is taken by someone as a "protectorate". What gives? How is someone supposed to get involved if all the land is taken...?

Guess you didnt even read the reply i made to your post which told you to read the first page of the map thread huh?

Protectorates pretty much are empty space.  Nine times out of ten, you'll get what you ask for.

The tenth time is normally people infamous in the community. To get denied despite being new, you'd need to make a really bad impression. Like, insulting the owner of the protectorate, showing extremist behaviour, writing in a matter that does not follow English grammar and spelling, adding uguu~ to the end of your sentences... or a combination of those.