Conference of North and Central American Affairs

Tanis777

OOC: You said screen, not "remove". There is a difference. That post is also edited, so I don't know whether or not it was in at the beginning or not. My apologies.

IC: Arthur wrote to Maya Cooper, the acting president of the Republic, and asked her to have the communications department post a petition for signing and host it on the nightly news.

Edited by Mara Lithaen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecilia Alcott would stand up again, given the call to order to Lady Hanobel. "Well, as far as Faraway is concerned, your vision is mostly right, especially given that we indeed think that for long-term stability, the state of affairs must be brought into a workable order. As it stands, movements are springing up left and right, while the protectorate has no clear borders as of now."

"Faraway is especially concerned, as there exists a crude demarcation between the Hudson Bay and the American Commonwealth zones at the Mississippi river, while our own forces operate on both sides in the Great Lakes Region. In the long term, this is not going to work out, we fear."

An aid to the Secretary of State Mark Collins leaned over and whispered to him, "You don't think you should say something? I'm surprised someone hasn't gotten caned yet." Mark shrugged and shook his head, whispering back, "I would say it's unfortunate some government is being radical enough to challenge Faraway and the Federation but what can we do about it? To be perfectly honest I just wanted to get in here, receive formal recognition and get out but it isn't any trouble for us to stay and enjoy some North American diplomacy.. Maybe you'll learn something kid." The small security detail stood by Mark and his team, carefully watching the bickering representatives. 

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I've been out all day and currently doing this from my phone.

The delegation would rise from their seats and follow Mr. Rolan to the adjacent room. Collectively inspecting over the document and delighting to see their request formally accepted, they would quickly sign over their names. Without further need to be there the Mexican delegation would choose to stay, if only to observe the rest of the conference and gain a greater understanding of the powers they'd call partners in regional politics...or perhaps foes. Nonetheless, he three men returned to their seats and began listening to the conference as the emerging powers began their debates... each of them taking a keen observation of the American delegations and their dispositions.

After receiving the president's response, Arthur Sullivan returned to the main room, and stood near the entrance. "While we wait on these signatures to be collated," he said, directing his attention and focus towards the Federation's organizer and representative, Welks, and continued."I humbly request that we take this moment to have a short recess, that we may all get to know one another. It shouldn't take more than fifteen or twenty minutes to start getting the preliminary results."

"We have no need to recess Mister Sullivan," sternly replied Welks.  "Stopping the meeting for your signatures is premature due to our, well, my tight time schedule here good sir.  We're moving forward with our proceedings."  

Minister Rolan and the Mexican delegates streamed out of the nearby room after the formal signing of their agreement of their recognized status by the Federation; however, signatures by Faraway, Oregon and the American Commonwealth were also signed on it beforehand at the Hudson Bay Embassy in Mexico City.   

"However, we do have drinks that can be served by our waiting staff here today, if you want to partake in the large selection of drinks or menu items available," stated Welks, "Carrying on, I welcome the Confederation of MidAmerica delegates here today."  Chancellor Welks nodded a friendly head gesture to the delegation.  

"The question of Central America is laid to rest as we focus on the partition of rest of the old Mexican protectorate.  Our initial projection for the lands west of the Continental Divide is slanted to Cascadia, in which, our government has no objections.  But the Midwest and Southeastern region of Greater Florida is a bit muddled.  I know the Commonwealth has seemingly strong support in the Carolinas while Faraway has oversaw the Great Lakes regions as a proxy steward."

Meanwhile, Minister Rolan motioned aides from Cascadia, Faraway and the American Commonwealth into the next room over...

One of the Federation's aides invited some of MidAmerican and CSA delegates through a door to a hallway that would lead to a room nearby.

Lastly, another Federation aide invited the three new independent movements to another room where Assistant Minister Townsend would brief them. 

Edited by Tanis777

"Indeed, our realm has started operations in the Great Lake Region most likely as one of the first countries neighbouring the former Mexican protectorate. To us, any instability in this region would be detrimental to the well-being of our people and I think it is no less in the interest of the people living on the Southern side of the Lakes, that the region is kept ordered and peaceful. The only country that has similarly large committments in this region would be the American Commonwealth, currently holding Ohio, while also being the only country besides us to actually border the Great Lakes.", Ephraim Halliwell pointed out, underscoring the importance of Faraways mission in the area.

"Also, let me use this chance to particularly thank the Commonwealth for their cooperation in the security of the Lakes."

Meanwhile, Lady Hanobel would follow the invitation and quietly slip out of the delegation to join Minister Rolan and the other aides.

After a short conversation with her elder sister, Dorothy Alcott also left the delegation, though, she left the conference altogether, to head home to Faraway, as someone had to attent to the affairs in the realm and its protectorate. Thus, the delegation of Faraway shrunk to two at the main room.

Secretary McNutt and the American Commonwealth delegation moved to the other room at the insistence of Minister Roland.  In the meantime news was sent to the delegation through the Hudson Bay Federation's communications networks about the large mercenary force in Mississippi as well as the information on Jade and what they had received from South African authorities about Elizabeth Stratton.

Presidente Agustin De Juaguari of Chile, Major General Charles Pullero of the Chilean Marines, and Montessori aide to the Presidente quietly make their way into the conference after presenting an seemingly endless number of documents proving their identities and showing their intentions to be harmless. Once they've managed to squeeze their way into the back of the room. They watch the conference unfold with a bit of amusement in their eyes. Presidente De Juaguari can't help but remembering how every other North American conference ended up. 

Finally he quietly clears his throat, stands, and says, "Everyone, I'm not a Central American or a North American. I'm a South American, yet we all carry the same comment denominator of living somewhere in the Americas. I'm not going to go on some big tangent about mutual cooperation or any of that. Most of us South Americans don't know you and none of you all really know us. Neither am I here to represent South America as a whole. I'm just here for the free drinks and to meet the leaders of old and newly established nations. I also bring promises of wine and honey so to speak, my Chief of Staff Montessori and myself have been charged with representing Chile for the purposes of providing economic opportunities to all who are interested. I'll just sit down over there at that lovely table, the dour looking fellow with too many medals is with me, he's General Pullero, don't let him scare you. That's all, thank you for your time."

The waiters would begin serving conference delegates drinks laced with soy sauce; however, even though the Federation delegates knew, they would partake in the joke together.

Meanwhile, in the room with the established power with Minister Rolan, he laid out a map of North America on the table as the some of the delegates from CSA and MidAmerica entered the room.

"Gentlemen," began Rolan, "Here is the final partition of... dear God pffft." Rolan coughed out his drink.

"WAITER!  What is this!" boomed Rolan, loud enough to obviously be heard out the door this time.  However at this point, it was too late as various delegates most likely accepted some form of drink, even the water wasn't spared, since the tap water was exchanged for spiked sparkling water with a hint of vodka.

After a couple minutes, Rolan regained his composure and began again with his equally irate guests, "Well, where were we?  Oh yes, partition of North America.  Without RAS the delegation in here, the Federation 'North America Territorial Division' in cooporation with Cascadia, Faraway and the American Commonwealth is as follows gentlemen."

He pointed to the map as MidAmerica colored in grey stretched to the Continental Divide with Cascadia as far north as Oklahoma and Arkansas, virtually a straight lined northern border.  To the CSA delegation, he pointed to the pink outlying the new nation encompassing territories east of the Mississippi as far north as the Ohio River and to the east to the Appalachians with their border to the American Commonwealth.   

"Gentlemen, the established nations of North America see fit to hand you this territory based on good faith, due to the low level of instability since we moved our forces in the old Mexican protectorate.  In regards to initial aid, the Hudson Bay Federation is issuing $30 billion dollars in aid to both of your nations to be used as you see fit.  My MidAmerican friends, Hudson Bay armed forces will withdrawal north by land towards the end of the month, unless you request otherwise.  If you men don't mind, sign on this document here and your on your way to official recognition by the North American powers."

Turning to the rest of the powers, Rolan began his approach to the rest of North America.  "As we have agreed earlier, the Commonwealth is to have the Carolinas and Ohio annexed to them.  Faraway will assume control of all territory lining the Great Lakes Region as we understood as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana.  This leaves us with the territory of the Upper Midwest that is under our oversight as the last remaining land without a nation, some of which the RAS delegation has spawned from.  It is from here, I believe RAS could make home, but as we've said earlier, we make no concessions on our pre-arrangement."

The map was rolled up and hidden away, along with the documents pertaining to the recognition of CSA and MidAmerica in Rolan's briefcase, which was handed over to a FSA agent for safekeeping downstairs in the security room.  With that, that meeting in that room was finished.  

Edited by Tanis777

As Hanobel left the room, she cringed a bit mentally. While it sure meant an expansion of Faraway, it was a new border that was mostly straight lines drawn on a map with little regard for much else. In some way, she herself had not achieved any of her objectives. The integration of Ohio into the American Commonwealth messed with the Southern border, bringing it much closer to the Detroit River and decreasing Faraway control over the Great Lakes, while the Western border at least encompassed the complete shore of the Lakes, but land she had sought to gain, was now most likely in the hands of some republican abomination. Still, for now, she had to swallow it and accept the modest expansion. It was better than nothing, and certainly, the new acquisitions would need to be diggested for now. The liberal madness like what could be seen in Wisconsin had to end and order had to be established. And who knew, maybe one day the Faraway Order would reach further than today.

As she arrived at her delegation, she was quite surprised. Halliwell had dozed off, stinking of Whisky, while the Lord Protector was not around, only a half-full cup of black tea standing on the table. Was she on the toilet?

The Secretary of State, Mark Collins, would fill his flask with the tap water, enjoying the sparkling-alcohol mix as he approached the map. He was more than satisfied with the straightening of the Texas Panhandle and the additions of Arkansas and southern Missouri. "This is more than acceptable gentlemen, I am very happy we could come to agreement." Mark took a pin out of his suit and signed the document swiftly on behalf of MidAmerica and asked if he could take a picture of the map to show congress behind closed doors when he got home.

Mark then walked over to Moore and his group from the CSA. "Before we concluded here I just wanted to verbally offer my recognition of the Confederate States of America. I understand that some are afraid of doing so because of the past that is associated with a nation that existed nearly four-hundred years ago, however I am sure that the Confederacy will be a strong and independent nation that will bring a bright light on the southern half of North America." Collins shook his hand and then walked over to Welks and those from the Federation where he spoke softly.

"I understand that these are not the most... peaceful, times which is why I would like to request that your government keep a minimal military presence in northern Oklahoma. If that is too unreasonable I understand, but seeing as we are still dealing with domestic issues I was hoping it could portrayed as a sign of good faith?" Collins would explain that the troops wouldn't need to stay there forever and could leave once the government was settled down and everything was in check.

Edited by PresidentDavid

Minister Rolan would allow the MidAmerican and CSA delegates to have a small photo op for official documentation to their officials back home.  He posed with the delegates in front of the map with his aging face showing a slight smile while grasping the hand of the head of the delegates.

Gregory Rolan wasn't blind to the unspoken emotions by anyone, the craft of being a statesman had honed his skill in spotting differences in human emotion where words would betray what their faces would say.  He would walk up to Hanobel before leaving the room and spoke to her, "The Ohio question was a difficult situation for us to decide whom to give it to, I would not expect this road map of partition to be... a final deal in my opinion.  This is definitely something between you and the Commonwealth to speak on further; however, we're very aware of the unsettling unrest developing in your region. It's a veiled formality for the conference to see the Ohio question to not be questioned by anyone else, since it's just between the three countries that we truly know.  If your nation needs assistance, we're just a call away."  

Back in the conference room, the Secretary Collins approached Chancellor Welks and listened to his request.  He nodded his head in agreement with Collins, replying, "You give a number and a location, we'll be there in as a sign of good faith between our government.  We'll fund the construction of the base wherever you decide to place Federation forces, so that in the end, a fully functional base in northern Oklahoma can be transferred to your military when the time of departure is necessary."

With everyone back into the room, Welks decided it was time to deal directly with Mr. Sullivan.  He nodded to the newly arrived Chilean counterparts, he would not mention the what happened to the first South American delegates trying to gain entry into the conference, deciding that with the main agenda of the conference nearly complete, an open meet and greet was close at hand.  Even so, only the Chileans were invited because by brought their own homemade chili with tortilla chips for a good snack.  

"So Mister Sullivan," spoke Welks, "What do you have in mind with your representation of various territories claiming to be on board to join this Republic of American States, so tell me again what areas support you?"

Edited by Tanis777

Sullivan shrugged, Ellen and Carnegie hovering nearby. "We represent the territories of eastern Colorado and New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi. The only thing I've got in mind, Mr. Welks, is getting recognition. It seems that isn't happening, but one can hope." he said, with another shrug. "Beyond that... well, that's up for my government to decide. Or whoever gets elected if and once this is a 'real' thing by you fine people's standards."

Chancellor Welks pondered his response for a minute before replying, "See that's the problem, Mister Sullivan.  The established nations of North America have not stated official recognized of any of the new nations until this conference was formalized, while the independence of Mexico was an obvious choice due to our lack of power projection this far south, more so even our refusal of long term occupation of territory south of the Rio Grande.  You can say all you want about having a government, but we're the final obstacle in making sure the stability of North America is ensured for the time being."

"My administration is quite disturbed by the reports we're receiving from our allied partners to the East as well as information from American Commonwealth intelligence that has been transferring over to us.  I do hope that the Commonwealth's intelligence is very wrong, but we are prepared if the credibility of that intelligence is true.  Besides, we have personally ensured that non-partisan Federation officials have gone throughout the Midwest and have discussed in length with our partners to the East the best 'on-the-ground' feeling on the ground with sediment of the people.  We have found these claims of independence into RAS unfounded and continued with my plan for the partition of North America."

Rolan laid out another duplicate map of what was in the adjoining room.  In the meantime, a FSIA agent handed Welks a fresh report from the Great Lakes.

Welks continued, peering at the report with his glasses, "The unrest in the Great Lakes region is most disturbing to us, and we do not feel it represents the entire region with their feelings towards Faraway.  I'm going to dismiss your vaunted claims of support of anything east of Mississippi."  Welks swept his hands to various areas of the map outlining the partition of North America to everyone to see, even the RAS officials.

"This map was made my administration with some help by Cascadia, Faraway, and the American Commonwealth.  We see fit that the low level of violence in the MidAmerica and CSA areas warrant expanded areas of responsibility of their initial claims and have gotten them with our exclusive support.  However, the Great Lakes region, as myself and most the Federation government sees is that Faraway is best suited to ensure the continued stability in that region and the unrest so far unfolding is by a small group of vocal dissonant folks trying to stir up trouble for the rest of the people.  The Federation as well our joint established partner nations here today will ensure to see that is a reality."

Welks condescending tone pushed on with what left of the map, which was labeled the 'Upper Midwest HBF Security Zone', concluding, "Since you say you represent this area as well, our officials have found a decent amount of support for RAS north of the Oklahoma border; however, as I stated before," Welks lifting up the piece of paper of the report, finishing, "East of the Mississippi, your sources mislead you."

Sullivan folded his arms and raised his eyebrow. " I did not say that we held anything beyond Mississippi, Minister Welks... As a matter of fact, Mississippi's about as far east as we do claim to have support. And as for our Farawayan compatriots..." Sullivan said, shrugging. "My email from the acting president indicated - with videographic proof - the extent of the brutality initiated on the people of Madison, Wisconsin, in particular, by the Faraway Royal Army. If you wish, I can pull up the news feed. Or, you can look for yourself." He said. "I don't think that nearly six hundred thousand people gathering in the capital city to protest the Farawayans' mistreatment could be described as small, but I guess that's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?" he said, smiling a bit at Welks.

"I have seen the reports," Welks stated sternly.  "Just because I'm in Mexico City that I'm not following what is going on outside.  I've seen the news, the gathering broke emergency laws enacted after the Faraway forces moved in.  I have also heard, the Faraway Army has not fired shots thus far.  Our assessment by our non-partisan officials in the region have seen large support for Faraway outside of major urban centers.  We digress your 'proof' that these protests are legitimate calls of independence due their outright lack of cooperation with Faraway officials."  

Nearby, Minister Rolan moved a finger over his mouth rapidly in a silly fashion as the argument began.

Edited by Tanis777

Sullivan's eyebrow stayed raised. "Lack of cooperation? Have you seen their decrees? The Farawayan officials have not been wanting 'cooperation', Minister Welks, they have been wanting submission. Our calls for independence in that region have been utterly ignored. The Farawayan Army, as of my last time at the computer, has opened up with tear gas, rubber bullets, water cannons - fire hoses, of all things - and a number of other devices, on unarmed protesters who had not made violent or aggressive moves since the beginning of the rally. I am not here to argue with you, Minister Welks - I am here to present you with the the facts that I have, nothing more, nothing less. Three different news agencies cannot all be streaming live, faked footage."

"Do not try insult my intelligence Mister Sullivan.  Our dealings with the Faraway government has been amriable so far," replied Welks.  He turned on the television to one side of the room of some news coverage in Madison.  "The protest still did not receive, nor clear the proper channels for authorization sir.  I may said this in a different tune if there was some sort of working with the Faraway government; however, we have not seen it.  My administration would have done the same thing if such a large group assembled threatened the overall security of the city and immobilizing commerce."  

"Our governments have agreed to the partitioning plans I have made for North America based on the data our officials have gathered, this is really non-negotiable." 

Edited by Tanis777

Lady Hanobel would raise her voice. "We dispersed what was an illegal assembly of people and as it seems, we were right in doing so, as it is, in fact a detriment to regional stability. I wouldn't call it peaceful protesting when the violence is fully directed against our soldiers and law enforcement. Peaceful protesting is to shout paroles and to wave signs and plackards. I'd rather not call a complete escalation and a mob attacking our garrison 'peaceful protesting'. And one has to say, our troops were monitoring, as long as these people were peaceful, but we had to resort to crowd dispersal, as soon as these rioters started to actively use violence against us. This is for the security of our people."

Hanobel shook the head.

"And if I may point to our own reports from the situation, I heard there has been heavy weapons fire on our garrison. I doubt you can still call that peaceful and I doubt you can argue that a nation which actively tries to sabotage regional stability and starts firing at the garrison troops of established nations when these troops are keeping back a crowd that has hostile intentions. you have been shooting our troops who have acted responsibly in self-defense. The hell would you have to say as justification for this violence?"

Sullivan looked shocked. "I have no idea what you're talking about. Firing on your garrison? Name one good reason why we would do that when we're fighting to get recognized, Farawayan! We don't even have an army - hell, not even a militia, because of you three's ban on such gatherings. And the group was peaceful, until you opened fire on the crowd and a local news station's uplink van."

Sullivan turned back to Welks." I have records of not less than five attempts to sign into being the RAS Constitution in the states affected by Faraway, and after the first, Faraway saw fit to ban all gatherings of more than ten people. I also have records and recordings of civilians being dragged off to work their uranium mines - in one case, the group was having a birthday party." Sullivan said, looking aghast. "They do not desire stability, or rather, if they do, they would prefer it to be under their thumb, and not a local entity's."

Edited by Mara Lithaen