how to choose the right alliance

abt88

Hi,

I am new here in Cyber Nation and i am surprised that i got so many massages from alliances.

And all of them have great promises like they are since x years one the best or they will send me a huge amount of money and so on.

But how do i choose the right alliance?

What do I have to consider?

I would say that its based on your own preferences. 

There are a lot of different types of alliances out there, and the important thing is to figure out where you fit in. 

Micro-Alliances:

These are your small fish, often less then twenty members. 

Pros: A lot of them are very active, and they have a more closeknit community. You also will be considered as more of a person, less then a number to them. You get more personable treatment, and a better chance of having some say in where the alliance is heading. My own alliance, the Fifth Column Confederation is at this stage. 

Cons: You aren't going to get as much aid usually as they don't have as many big nations to hand out money. There is also a higher chance of getting raided as they don't carry as much recognition as some of the Huge alliances. This can be alleviated by proper diplomatic relations, but it is still a factor. 

Mid-Tier alliances

These are your established but unsanctioned alliances. 

Pros: There are a ton of them, with varying degrees of activity/government types, aid programs. 

Cons: This is basically your middle of the road average option, its difficult to diffentiate between the good ones and the bad ones, and they can still get raided, but wont have the programs that the massive alliances have. 

Sanctioned alliances:

These are the big daddies, all the power, all the numbers. 

pros: safety from raiding, and a bigger aid packages.

cons: Hugeness at the cost of personability. While many strive to buck that trend, inevitably, you are going to be a small fish in a big pond. 

The final thing to consider is your own ambitions. There are many different government types out there. Do you want to just log in, collect, go to war when told and follow one emperor? I'd try the NPO or one of the imperial orders, Do you want to have a chance at leadership every election cycle? Try one of the more democratic alliances. There are also alliances like mine that split the difference, with elected positions but some set leadership.

Zacharias is correct though, another piece of the puzzle is the fact that ATM, most alliacnes are involved in a global war. Joining them will likely mean your nation gets involved as well since they are attacking eacothers applicants. Check this forum for more info on which ones are currently at war. 

Basically, its all up to you, just do your research, get to know some of the members before you sign on, and find a good fit for you where you will have fun. 

Now on the selfish side: My own alliance, the FCC, would love to have you, so if your interested in a micro, please dont hesitate to stop by. 

I can also recommend the Terran Empire, or Brotherhood of Sithis as good active alliances that are a little more established then us. 

NATO is a great big alliance that is nearing sanction and has a lot of good people in it as well. 

Those would my reccomendations, but again, good luck, and just find somewhere that you will have fun!

You should pick an alliance that has a theme you like and it'd help if you browsed the CN Wiki to read up on any potential alliances you are interested in. It also usually is a plus if you visit the forums that the alliance(s) you are interested in have -- it can tell you a lot about them.

As noted above, there's differences between sanctioned and non-sanctioned alliances as well.

LoSS don't offer sign up aid, you shouldn't have to bribe people just to boost your numbers and people shouldn't join an alliance just for free money

Read the wiki's, get on IRC and ask their gov questions about the alliance

And I'd avoid those trying to bribe you to join

My first alliance was NPO because I like the colour red, I knew nothing else about CN at the time

I'd disagree with the statement that large alliances offer less personable treatment. Any alliance that treats its members in that way is going to have problems and is not worth joining. In anycase, you get out what you put in. IRON is a mass alliance (currently second largest in the game) and is a good example of this. Our aid programs are varied and there is a role for everyone, and you are given a choice as to how you want to be in the alliance. We have an academy program that trains people and various services that people can enter into. Others don't want to be as involved and just follow instructions. Certainly our members are not numbers. I also think that a mid ranking alliance is not necassarily a bad place to be. There is no reason for them to be described as just "middle of the road." That in itself is significant as it gives you a balance between security and chance for personal advancement that takes longer in a large alliance. However the price for being in a small or mid tier alliance is that you will not be at the heart of things as much. Mid tier and especially small tier is about finding your place in a power sphere rather than punching your own weight. As a diplomat I go to other alliances and immediately get noticed as a representative of an alliance that can pummel you. On the flip side it is perhaps easier for a small alliance to pursue a certain role play dynamic. LSF and Kaskus are good exampls of small alliances (although I suppose they would both be mid teir) that have interesting times and interesting dynamics whilst not having a major punch or role in the world.

I'd disagree with the statement that large alliances offer less personable treatment.

I also think that a mid ranking alliance is not necassarily a bad place to be. There is no reason for them to be described as just "middle of the road." 

These are both totally valid points. I didn't really take enough time to properly explain these points. I have nothing but respect for IRON as well as many other alliances. None of what I said should be read as a scathing attack on any alliance, sanctioned or otherwise. I was simply trying to quickly put forth a basic explanation and provide the skeletal framework for future research. 

I express my apologies for any slight I may have put forth in my haste. 

That said, OP did actually join the Fifth Column Confederation, and we are happy to have our new german friend!

Wherever you go, I would definitely avoid LoSS.  Not because they don't offer aid, but because there is not a single good thing that I can think of to say about them.

And the point of petty personal attacks was.................?

Showing how classy Optional Defense Network are?

I would say that its based on your own preferences. 

There are a lot of different types of alliances out there, and the important thing is to figure out where you fit in. 

Micro-Alliances:

These are your small fish, often less then twenty members. 

Pros: A lot of them are very active, and they have a more closeknit community. You also will be considered as more of a person, less then a number to them. You get more personable treatment, and a better chance of having some say in where the alliance is heading. My own alliance, the Fifth Column Confederation is at this stage. 

Cons: You aren't going to get as much aid usually as they don't have as many big nations to hand out money. There is also a higher chance of getting raided as they don't carry as much recognition as some of the Huge alliances. This can be alleviated by proper diplomatic relations, but it is still a factor. 

Mid-Tier alliances

These are your established but unsanctioned alliances. 

Pros: There are a ton of them, with varying degrees of activity/government types, aid programs. 

Cons: This is basically your middle of the road average option, its difficult to diffentiate between the good ones and the bad ones, and they can still get raided, but wont have the programs that the massive alliances have. 

Sanctioned alliances:

These are the big daddies, all the power, all the numbers. 

pros: safety from raiding, and a bigger aid packages.

cons: Hugeness at the cost of personability. While many strive to buck that trend, inevitably, you are going to be a small fish in a big pond. 

The final thing to consider is your own ambitions. There are many different government types out there. Do you want to just log in, collect, go to war when told and follow one emperor? I'd try the NPO or one of the imperial orders, Do you want to have a chance at leadership every election cycle? Try one of the more democratic alliances. There are also alliances like mine that split the difference, with elected positions but some set leadership.

Zacharias is correct though, another piece of the puzzle is the fact that ATM, most alliacnes are involved in a global war. Joining them will likely mean your nation gets involved as well since they are attacking eacothers applicants. Check this forum for more info on which ones are currently at war. 

Basically, its all up to you, just do your research, get to know some of the members before you sign on, and find a good fit for you where you will have fun. 

Now on the selfish side: My own alliance, the FCC, would love to have you, so if your interested in a micro, please dont hesitate to stop by. 

I can also recommend the Terran Empire, or Brotherhood of Sithis as good active alliances that are a little more established then us. 

NATO is a great big alliance that is nearing sanction and has a lot of good people in it as well. 

Those would my reccomendations, but again, good luck, and just find somewhere that you will have fun!

then what would Alpha Omega be considered as?