Rifts...

Maelstrom Vortex

Caiphus had this one, "The subject races in our society are those who voluntarily rely upon us to protect them. They specialize in their own niche in our social structure and provide key assistance in specific areas. They are not without a voice, and each race is represented based on their popular size upon the general council of the Empress. We guarantee the sovereignty of our peoples with our blood.. they are there in turn to make sure we are able to guarantee that sovereignty. You exist on a world with a uniform and dominating species wherein specializations are limited. We do not have this problem, but it lends towards a more diverse and complicated social environment. This interpreter is getting pretty good.. I'm actually starting to sound like I know something."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So, basically, you have a sort of a caste-system, like traditional India..." Lark nodded. "Well, it might not help you making friends, even if people get over you simply being there. Anyways, it'll be quite a bit longer until this thing can reliable translate speech into speech instead of text-translations. Even if those happen basically in realtime by now.
As for 'uniform', I'd debate that. There's plenty of differences between races, and subsequent racism. Slavery was commonplace until around two centuries ago. Hmm, is there anything else you'd like to know? I'll try and inform you, I guess."

In the meantime, a message was sent via satellite to Von Braun regarding the nutritional needs of the visitors and other information. A test-shipment would be approved within hours and sent soon after, though it wouldn't arrive until several days later.

"Very similar to it. We fully intend on keeping our heads low on this continent and our contact mostly with you until we've had time to observe the other human nations. I'm going to recommend we work on a modular rail line that rests on sleds and can be adjusted with the flow of the ice so that when we're ready for a shipment to pass south we can simply adjust the track. That way, the shipment would not be adversely affected as conditions change. Do you think the idea is feasible given terrain and conditions?" Caiphus inquired.

"I'm no egghead, but I'm sure they can figure it out... Otherwise, VTOL or helicopter operations might do the trick.
But it's a good idea to keep your heads down for the time being. Who knows what sorts of people - or nations, even - would want to do very bad !@#$ with you guys the second they heard of your existence."

[left][font="Arial"]The temporal/spatial anomalies weren't only detectable on machinery. The Aurora Australis (southern lights) put on a particularly fine display from the moment the first one opened. That was not so unusual, and so the various nomadic tribes loosely calling themselves The Forgotten Ones initially ignored the phenomenon in favor of the daily business of mere survival.[/font][/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left][font="Arial"]But when the lights did not let up for some time, they started to wonder. The more superstitious cried that it was a sign from the Heavens, an omen of coming change--they were divided on whether it may be good, or bad. The ones styling themselves as purely rational passed it off as an unusual occurrence, nothing more. The ones blessed in equal parts with imagination, intuition, faith, and logic reasoned out that it must be a sign of something important, not necessarily man-made, but then again probably not likely a sign from any kind of deity.[/font][/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left][font="Arial"]A few bold, hardy explorers, scouts for their respective tribes for the most part, made their way south, not knowing how long or how far they would need to go, or even if their quest would bear any fruit...[/font][/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left] [/left][left][font="Arial"]The wisest of the tribal leaders, however, used the phenomenon as an excuse to call a clan gathering...[/font][/left][font="Arial"]
OOC: Could not resist. Perfect medium for it. :) Interaction only if anyone sends planes much further east ;)[/font]

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

The Explorers would catch glimpse in the far south of flying vehicles in the shapes of wings that were shiny, metallic, and unlike any seen made by any known nation. They appeared to fly in a pattern (on a mapping mission, but the observers would not know that) and then returned south west.

## Back at the growing city at the polar region ##

Sections of ice were being shaped and colorized to make vtol landing easier. Though the landing would be more difficult than the average land based landing due to ice flow, it should be less challenging than landing on a moving carrier if one excludes the worst of the elemental factors in landing in this environment.. the bitter cold.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Having been so long in the frozen southern lands, knowledge had drifted away of what life had been like elsewhere for the majority of the tribes. They understood some technology, but the memories of the more advanced things grew fainter and fainter with each year.

So when the small party saw the planes flying in the sky, they at first could not believe it. When they proved not to be tricks of the light, the scouts felt the first glimmerings of fear--even they were not completely immune to superstition. But being what they were, they were not immobilized by their fear. No, they used it, channeled it to their own purposes, and pushed on. They knew their tribes would want a full report...

As they walked on, the explorers would come over a drift.. and there.. standing.. appeared to be a soldier. But not a normal soldier. It looked like a bipedal dragon of snow white scales and sky blue serpentine irises. It was starting directly at them, it was obvious it was expecting them and had placed itself accordingly. The soldier had a weapon on his back. It stood there, with its arms ends held in the pockets of its winter military uniform. It appeared to be alone. In front of it, on the ground, was a stack of books partly uncovered in a satchel. It took its hand-like claw out, gestured at the books, then took a few steps back. Bending over, it then drew a line in the snow and stood behind it.

The small band of about a dozen explorers that had, eventually, united for the long journey out of necessity, halted to a man and woman, almost as one. They hadn't exactly been chatty to begin with, but what little they had been saying died off instantly at the sight of the otherworldly being before them.

The individuals within all knew, intellectually, that the frozen wastes contained other inhabitants, but as a general rule, they avoided those inhabited areas, and would until such a time as the inevitable happened and the people there were left behind by their parent nations. Few aside from the administrators of the Antarctic preserve even knew these people existed.

The Dragon, in turn, wouldn't be able to see much from his (most likely) first glimpse of humanity. The figures were clothed in layer upon layer of furs and skins belonging to what little native wildlife the continent had to offer, hiding most of the features except for their normal-seeming eyes. The weapons they carried were much more crude than the humans at the Lunar research base had carried. An assortment of knives, old-looking but still serviceable, a sword or two (both rapiers) in the same condition, and a few spears slung across the backs of their respective owners. One even had a loaded crossbow clutched in their hands with several spare bolts in a quiver on their back, though how he (or she? They were so bundled it was hard to distinguish the sexes) could handle it through all that clothing remained a mystery.

Aside from the antiquity of the weapons, it was important to note that none of them were aimed in a threatening manner--yet. After a moment or two to process what they were seeing, the group fell into what could, charitably, be called a huddle, obviously consulting on the proper course of action. They babbled at each other in a language that would be unfamiliar, even if the Dragons were familiar with all the world's dominant languages. The tones rose and fell, some words sharp and crisp in the freezing air, others low and sounding almost threatening. There was much gesticulating and hand waving, both with and without weapons in hand. A scuffle threatened to break out more than once.

Finally, however, the babble quieted down, and a de-facto leader emerged from the group that once again turned to face the Draconic soldier. Surprisingly, it was the smallest one in the group, not the largest, and it approached with a little hesitation, yes, but what surely must also have been curiosity that was plain to see in its dark green eyes. This figure was one of those with a rapier attached to their side, and the one with the crossbow as well. It ignored the books and the line, though it did set down the crossbow next to them in a gesture that was fairly universal in saying no violence was in its heart for the moment.

Instead, the eyes fixed on him and addressed the soldier directly. The words would not be not comprehensible to the dragon, of course, but the light, almost musical tone of the figure gave away with near certainty that it was probably a woman. After a few moments, she stopped, as if realizing that was probably pointless, and simply tapped herself on the chest with a finger, speaking one word. "Linden." She then held a hand out, with that same finger pointing at the newcomer to this world, and spoke an unintelligible word. However, the meaning would be clear to anyone with even the most basic diplomatic training. She had introduced herself, and wanted to know his (or her) name.

He pointed at himself and half-growled/half-roared his name, fluctuations in the tone and pitch of the roar and growls was so rapid that it almost was not perceptible to the human ear except as a single blurred call. The tongue extremely alien and unlikely to ever be spoken by a human being without electronic aid. The edges of its mouth appeared to turn upwards.. like unto a smile.. after he finished giving his calling. Pity they do not have a written communications device.. he thought. He moved to the books, crossing the line. He lifted them.. he returned to her. He set the books in front of her, he then returned to his line. They had reached the edge of the settlement. He could risk them going no further, but as as instructed if encountering any humans he had been equipped with books of language to give to them for their written tongue. He was to hold his ground, not provoke them.

The individuals that remained at a distance didn't exactly cower, but they were noticeably more tense, clutching their weapons more tightly. They did not yet, however, show any signs they were about to use those weapons.

Linden involuntarily took a step back, apparently mildly alarmed, but when the being made no other hostile move, in fact managing what looked to be a smile, she recovered her ground. She let out a soft chuckle, an almost musical sound expressing her amusement. Why should they have expect this one's language to be anything remotely human-sounding? She watched him, not seeming the least bit intimidated as he walked up to her, presenting the books once again. As he retreated, leaving the satchel at her feat, she finally bent down to inspect his offerings, carefully unwrapping the coverings on her head and hands, so she could more easily look at and handle them.

He would note a dusky skin tone on her face and hands, not fully black, but definitely much darker than the humans of the Lunar Republic's colony. The most striking feature, however, would be the hair. Another human would note it almost seemed to be an unnatural blond, almost white enough to blend in with the snow around them, and yet she couldn't have been much older than 20 years of age.

She withdrew the book on top of the pile inside, opening it to the first page to see...

The Empress inquired, "How long til impact?"

The chief science adviser present before herself and [i]The Doctor[/i] slowly gave her reply, "Estimated time of impact is in one month. We are already witnessing meteor showers caused by the disruption of orbital bodies in proximity to Protagon. We are preparing to shut down the gates.. We are cutting off the refugee line on Protagon at the point we know refugees will not continue to make it through. They have been advised to prepare themselves for death in line with the wishes of Lord Bahamut and to make peace with themselves. There is no panic, only sullenness and resignation.. though some wiser souls are throwing the largest party possible, making good what time they have before the impact. We are using remote observation to study how the population is handling the event, it is giving a complex and rare opportunity to show our people handle catastrophic events."

"And how are you holding up?" The Empress asked.

The chief scientist buckled and looked away, eyes closed. They did not weep, they had no tears. "I feel very fortunate to be one of the souls this society felt fortunate to spare the disaster through our only means of escape. But I can't help thinking of the family and friends who are having to stay behind.. I.. I don't think I'll ever be over the loss."

"Nor will any of us.." Rumbled [i]The Doctor[/i] with a weary sigh. "This planet is tiring, but we will have to make due.. increased gravity.. shorter rotational periods. Adaptation and catastrophic loss, I wouldn't wish this on anyone save for the need to spare our species a total annihilation. I will not have any pretense in understanding our Lord Bahamut's will in this situation, I feel like we have been totally abandoned." There was silence.

"I believe all of our faiths have been rattled." Aurora gently put a claw on his shoulder. There was no response... only the silence of affirmation. "We have no choice but take it one day at a time now. We have no idea what the future holds."

## Back at the exploration party the humans had sent.. ##

... a children's primer on the names of objects and basic claw marking symbols for their language.

Boa nodded as she opened the book. He then turned.. and began to pace along his line in the ice.

Linden had heard about books, even seen some on one rare occasion. Some of the tribes had precious collections of such things, but she had never actually laid hands on one. So naturally her hands trembled with excitement, even though she knew that she wouldn't be able to read the markings in there. She wouldn't have been able to read it even if it had been in a language she understood. None of the exploratory party would, so far as she knew. You didn't waste those precious few that could still read and remember their past in that way by sending them out on the most perilous assignments. Life was a precious enough commodity on this continent for those unprotected. Worse still for scouts, particularly when their tribe was feuding with another.

Still, she was an intelligent being. She understood that this was a written language, and that to be written, a language needed rules. She might not understand what all the displayed objects were in the primer, but she understood almost immediately that the symbols paired with them represented them in some fashion. She was almost in a trance as she reverently traced the outline of one of the symbols, what looked like a tent, or at least a dwelling of [i]some[/i] sort, with a fingertip.

The rest of the party kept wary eyes out, three of them in Boa's direction, the rest in the other directions, always watching the surrounding terrain from their position at the very top of the drift. They were obviously well-trained and experienced with the terrain, though what danger they thought they might face would no doubt remain a mystery. The ones watching him tensed as he started pacing, but relaxed when they saw that was all he was doing.

Linden glanced up at him then, pointing at the symbol she recognized, and enunciating the word she thought went with it. "Tent?"