Through a glass, but Darkly..

Maelstrom Vortex

[b]After Delta arrives.

Jesse: [/b]What is going on Paul. You look nervous, even more nervous than normal.

[b]Paul: [/b]Did you see that article in The Angevin Enquirer?

[b]Jesse: [/b]I've heard of the Global Enquirer but I did not know that Angevin had its own version of it. What is the article about?

[b]Paul shows him the article that is shown the the Angevin News thread.

Jesse: [/b]Wow. He didn't even show himself in public yet and the news is already spreading.

[b]Paul: [/b]Did you tell anyone about what happened?

[b]Jesse: [/b]Besides Delta which includes Brian, Nathan, Ben, Anthony, and Daniele [b](OOC: If JEDCJT decides to let her go with them)[/b] there is no one else that I have told. They have all been with me the whole time so I would know if they told anyone or not. If I had to guess at who the culprit is it was probably someone in the security force or one of the many doctors. Looks like someone wanted to make some big extra bucks. And I'm guessing you want us to try to figure out who it was.

[b]Paul: [/b]You guys are good at these types of mysteries.

[b]Jesse: [/b]I'm more of a man of action.

[b]Paul: [/b]But you have also solved mysteries like this as well. Before you joined the military you and Brian used to investigate crimes and you guys were the best.

[b]Jesse: [/b]That was years ago, it was my tactical skills and gun skills that got me out of that and into the elite military forces, besides we are more like mercenary freedom fighters now.

[b]Paul: [/b]The question is will you help or not?

[b]Jesse: [/b]Yes. We are going to need a list of all the security forces and doctors in the hospital though.

[b]Paul: [/b]There are over a hundred on that list. How are you going to find out who.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Only the doctors and security forces close to them knew what was really going on. Right now it could be anybody, even Dr. Karnell could be the one.

[b]Brian: [/b]We could just get the people at this Angevin Enquirer and interrogate them.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Last resort, maybe.

[b]Paul: [/b]I see you guys have your work cut out so I will let you get to it.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Not so fast. You can help question people here while we go talk to the others.

[b]Paul: [/b]What about the conference?

[b]Jesse: [/b]I think the king will agree when I say that it will have to be postponed until we find this person.

[b]Paul: [/b]Everyone was going to find out anyways. Do we really need to postpone it?

[b]Jesse: [/b]Well why don't you go ask him. In the meantime we will find and question the doctors that were with Karnell and we will probably interrogate him as well.

[b]Brian: [/b]Lets do this.

Edited by jesbro

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoffrey shrugged, "Do not postpone it. People are going to speculate and rumor and gossip. There's no avoiding that."

In the meantime, Jesse was able to round up everyone who had access to the security cameras. Going through the time sheets related to security personnel login and access he is able to eliminate the possibilities down to 4 guards.. including 1 ex guard who literally had been dismissed yesterday for too many absences from duty. He would discover none of the doctors had access to the cameras from which the shot could have been taken.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[b]Brian: [/b]4 guards. The only one I can think of it being is the one who was recently fired. He is the only one that seems to have an actual motive.

[b]Jesse: [/b]One of the others could have done it as well. They probably figured that everyone would have found out anyways during the conference. Me and Paul will question the ex and the guy who orginally had access to it while you and Nathan question the other 2.

[b]Brian: [/b]Sounds like a plan.

[b]They went into the two interrogation rooms and started questioning them.[/b]

As expected, all 4 of them denied having anything to do with the leak. However, a review of financial accounts provided by a King's Warrant allows Jesse to discover that the one who had recently been fired had suddenly come into a significant lump of money from a strange account, which he would discovered originated at an Andorran bank.. which had been opened, used for one transaction, and closed the same day. The name of the owner of the account "U. Wonfindme." Further research would indicate the id on the account as owner was a complete forgery.

[b]They eventually find out that it was the guy who was fired but they still can't figure out who it was that sent him the money.

Jesse: [/b]Stuff like this used to happen in Noveria a lot and all we basically did was ignore them, at least until it got to the point where they were selling weapon designs and stuff like that then we took them down. Hopefully they keep records of what he has said so even though we probably won't find them today we will find them before they do something that may later on kill them. He says that they called him and sent the money once he gave them the info. Other than that he does not know who they were.

[b]Paul: [/b]OK. Everything is ready for the conference. I guess everyone was going to find out anyways so hopefully this will still go well.

[b]Jesse: [/b]It better. No one wants to see me pissed right now.

Edited by jesbro

[b]That afternoon, everyone is waiting for Geoffrey to say he is ready for the conference. All the media crews have their cameras set up and the reporters are waiting for it to start.

Jesse: [/b]Did you ever tell him that everything at the conference is ready?

[b]Paul: [/b]Yes. He is probably still a bit nervous, this is his first time showing himself to the public since they first “changed” and that article in the Enquirer did not help.

[b]Jesse: [/b]If anything it should make him less nervous. They are probably going to be a little less shocked than they were going to be so this should actually be a bit easier for him, not harder.

[b]Paul: [/b]He is probably still trying to figure out what he is going to say. You were never really the patient type anyways.

[b]Jesse: [/b]You know me so well. Maybe you should go see if he really wants to do this right now or not.

[b]Paul: [/b]Do not worry Jesse. He will come out when he is ready, you are just going to have to wait. When he is ready I will go up and introduce him then he will come out and say what he wants to say.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Something else better not be wrong. I already took care of one thing today and I’m still pretty tired so I do not know if I can handle another.

Edited by jesbro

Geoffrey came out in his robe and wearing his crown. As he did there was a collective gasp among the press at his new appearance.. Christine followed shortly after and there was another gasp and the cameras went crazy. "Yes, yes, I missed you too."

There was a slight chuckle from the press corps. There was then some rather awkward silence before someone broke it, "Do you feel your new forms will impede your ability to govern?"

Geoffrey replied, "I am less concerned over this new body, thrown upon me by the virus, causing me any added trouble.. than I am with human nature. I am very different from what I was.. very different from normal. I am hoping people will remember who I am and that this state which I am in does not make who I am any different. Only what I am.. has changed."

Another corps member asked, "Is there any concern the cult responsible for this device and your change, according to the government reports, may attempt to enshrine you?"

Geoffrey nodded, "I am concerned about that. I am no god, nor any reincarnation thereof. I hereby proclaim it an offense to in any fashion worship me or my image punishable by 1 week in prison and further psychological evaluation."

"Are you comfortable in your new skin?" Another asked.

The answer was short, concise, "No, I am not. Not yet. I am not sure I will ever be."

"Is the virus contagious?" A concerned report inquired.

"By design, it is not." Geoffrey replied, "It was intended only to spread by direct fluid contact and only succeeds at infection at an intense level of concentration, or so I was told by the son of its designer.. who I will leave in anonymity for his own safety and because of the help he has rendered in sparing the wife of myself and my beloved wife. If it were contagious, you would not be having this conference."

"Do you have any cool powers?" A younger reporter asked.

Geoffry chuckled and shook his head, "I have new abilities, yes. Are they powers? No. Nothing that isn't already found in nature in some species or other."

"Speaking of species.. what exactly are you?" An older reporter with Angevin Sciences Journal inquired.

"According to the son of the doctor who created this virus, Christine and I have become Chimeras. We possess a combination of useful genetic traits from a variety of species world wide. While the vast majority of our genetic make up remains human, the virus over-wrote key sections using RNA recombination processes. When the cells began to comply and tissues to conform, the result is what you see before you. I wish to note, if it hadn't been for the assistance of our doctors, nurses, and the son of the creator of this virus.. we would have died. Without certain catalysts and injections the transformation caused by the virus is typically fatal."

Angevin News political consultant Jacobe de'Poitou inquired, "Does that mean Joseph de'Plantegenet would have become King as your appointed Heir?"

Geoffrey nodded, "Yes, that was the intended outcome should we have died."

"What is your phsyical condition now?"

He sighed, "Well, besides changes to what we are, we feel we are in good health and according to our physicians we appear to have stabilized at new normals for our vital signs. The truth is though, the anatomy of our current state is still questionable. The fact the last person who lived for any length of time having survived this infection died of cancer due to rapid mutation I do not think is a positive long term indicator of our well being, but we shall see. I trust in the Lord more than I do the madness which has spawned this form."

"Did your faith help you through this?"

"It helps us live daily." Geoffrey replied. "Even without what has happened to us, the challenges of leadership require constant guidance and strength. I rely on my faith for it."

There was a glimmer in the crowd near the back. Instinctively, Geoffry's eyes narrowed on it at a range beyond normal human eye-sight and saw the barrel of a gun pointing at him. He and Christine both dove towards the floor as less than a second later the sound of a gun-shot broke the still air. Already in motion, the bullet missed its targets. Security forces scrambled and a gun fight ensued with the would-be assassin.

[b]Jesse [after the shot is fired]: [/b]OK NOW I'm pissed![b][he looks and sees the guy who fired trying to get out of the room quickly][/b] Why does there always seem to be assasins at these things?

[b]Jesse then starts running in the same direction the assassin went. Jesse continues to chase him out of the building and down the street.[/b]

[b] Brian [trying to follow them]: [/b]Dang Jesse is fast. [b][radio to Paul][/b] Jesse is chasing down the assasin. See if you can get any police vehicles to track them for us.

[b]Paul: [/b]OK. You think Jesse can catch him?

[b]Brian: [/b]He will track this guy to the end of the earth if he has to. Once Jesse sets an objective for himself there is very little that can stop him.

[b]Jesse eventually corners him in an ally.[/b]

[b]Jesse: [/b]There are a few ways this can end. A bullet to your head, or you can surrender and hope they don't execute you. Why did you even try something like that anyways?

[b]Assasin: [/b]They are Deamons. Sent by satan to doomus all.

[b]Jesse: [/b]That's not how I see them. I was with them during their change. They were mostly unconcious but once they found out what happened they were a little scared, especially Queen Christine. Just because they look different does not mean they are totally different. A man like you should understand stuff like this.

[b]The Assasin shook his head, [/b]"Liar, you are a servant of the devil!" [b]He brought his gun up again to fire at Jesse. [/b]

[b]Before he could fire Jesse heard a gunshot that came from behind him. It hit the assasin in the head and Jesse turned around to see Brian holding his pistol.[/b]

[b]Jesse looks back at the dead assassin on the ground, [/b]"Actually I fight for God, but I guess you didn't think about that before you pulled out your gun now did you?!"

[b]Brian looks at Jesse, [/b]"How many times is that now? I saved you how many times now?"

[b]Jesse responded, [/b]"That was the fifth."

[b]Brian looks puzzled, [/b]"Really I thought that was the 6th?"

[b]Jesse looks back at him, [/b]"I had everything under control with Kang, besides it was the other guy that finished him off anyways."

[b]Brian: [/b]Lets get back to Paul and the others. The police will clean up the mess here, plus I think the King and Queen will want to know who took out the assasin.

[b]Jesse is confused for a second then answers, [/b]"Yea. After I cornered him for you."

[b]Brian: [/b]OK it was 50/50. But I was the one that killed him.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Fine I will give you credit for that one. Especially since it was me that took out all the other assassins we had to chase before this one.

[b]Brian: [/b]How many assassins have we killed now?

[b]Jesse: [/b]Enough to lose count. I think it is somewhere in the 30's or 40's.

[b]When they get back Paul was outside waiting for them.

Paul: [/b]With the look on your faces I say you got him.

[b]Brian: [/b]A bullet to the brain solves everything.

[b]Jesse: [/b]I cornered him and he brought out his gun when I was trying to get him to surrender. Lets just say he did not last long.

[b]Paul: [/b]Come on. I'm sure that Geoffrey and Christine want to know what happened.

[b]Brian: [/b]You think it will still be safe for them.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Their security will need to be tightened a bit but I think they should stay in the Chateu for now. At least until we can make sure that it will be safe for them.

[b]Brian: [/b]Wherever we go death and supernatural stuff seems to follow.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Death is one thing. That supernatural stuff is another. I do not know why my family seems to be magnets to the supernatural stuff but I am going to try to find out. As for the assassin he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to do a bad thing.

Edited by jesbro

[b]They get to where the King and Queen are waiting.

Jesse: [/b]The assassin is dead. I don't know if there are any more so I think you should stay in the Chateau until we can sort this out.

[b]Paul: [/b]Who was that assassin anyways.

[b]Jesse: [/b]Basically just a radical that thinks they are daemons but if he was watching the conference he probably would have found out otherwise, but oh well. He was about to shoot me so it was something Brian had to do.

[b]Brian: [/b]I don't know if there are any more of them but I agree with Jesse. You should stay here until this is sorted out and we can confirm it safe.

Geoffrey sighed and shook his head, "I do not believe it shall ever be 'safe' for us.. or ever have been. It's just the level of danger has risen because of what we are."

Christine shook her head, "Lets go home love."

He nodded to her. They went with their security team to the awaiting armored limo and made their way back to the Chateau. As soon as they were within, Christine rushed to her room. The toll of the day's events weighed heavy on them both. Geoffrey sat on his throne.. his TV was brought to him so that he could watch the news. If anyone followed him, to them, it would look like a very sour and depressed mood had overtaken him.

[b]Jesse and the others then had a conversation while on their way to the Chateau. Paul started it, [/b]"So do you guys know what you are going to do for the next few days until we return to Andorra?"

[b]Jesse responded, [/b]"Me and Brian will stay at the Chateau to provide a little extra security for them until people can get used to this."

[b]Brian: [/b]Do you think that assassin was working alone?

[b]Jesse responded to the question, [/b]"Yea. Radicals like that tend not to trust many others so I believe this guy did that one by himself but that does not mean they are safe. We need to keep a close eye on them and anyone they are around for the next few days."

[b]Daniele then finally said something, [/b]"Well this could be a good time for me and Nathan to go sightseeing around the town. As far as I know there should be no one here that wants us dead. Ben and Anthony can join us if they do not have anything better to do."

[b]Nathan: [/b]I think that is a good idea. Its been a while since we were ever able to go out and do something like that.

[b]Jesse then spoke after thinking for a sec, [/b]"OK. After Paul drops us off at the Chateau he will then drop you guys off at the hotel and you guys can go have fun tomorrow but meet back up with us tomorrow night at the Chateau. OK?"

[b]Nathan confirmed, [/b]"You got it."

[b]After a quiet day helping security at the Chateau Jesse and Brian met with Nathan, Ben, Anthony, and Daniele in the main lobby. Jesse started the conversation, [/b]"So how was your day?"

"Very good actually." [b]Nathan says as he lays back on the couch. [/b]"We went to a lot of museums and a lot of other places. Ben says he has something important to tell you."

[b]Ben looks around to see if anyone else was watching, [/b]"I was looking at their Brian scans taken just before they left the hospital and I think I found something. At first I thought it was nothing considered what they were going through but even then it wouldn't be like this. There are changes in the different parts of their brains to help with their new body parts and such but there are also some other changes in the Frontal Lobe as well. That is the part of the brain that affects emotional behaviors and such. This is from before the assassination attempt so you can't say that it was caused by the trauma of that."

[b]Jesse was a little worried but he didn't show it, [/b]"I'm sure it is nothing. Once Paul is here I'm sure he will say the same thing."

[b]Paul then comes in, [/b]"Say what?"

[b]Jesse then asks, [/b]"Besides the obvious trauma from their change and the assassination attempt to they seem different to you.

[b]Paul looks confused, [/b]“Is that a rhetorical question?

[b]Jesse looks a little angry, [/b]"No."

[b]Paul answers, [/b]“Not that I can tell. Geoffrey still has a good sense of humor even considering what has happened and Christine is still as shy as usual. Even more so because of the assassination attempt, but other than that they still seem the same as before their change into Chimeras. You can ask them yourself though once they get here. They were right behind me.”

[b]Jesse sighs, [/b]“OK. We’ll wait.”

Edited by jesbro

They weren't behind them. But a Chateau staffer was, "Geoffrey and Christine wanted to invite you all to the banquet hall. They wanted to surprise you with a rather robust dinner for the services you've rendered to the Crown the past several days. If you'll all make your way into the east wing for seating.. we'll get the dinner started."

They were taken to a room with a long banquet table and upon it were a myriad of delicious dinners ranging from sea food, to poultry, to beef. A tossed salad was also available and the best silverware was out. Their seats were labeled so each would know where to sit and no awkward musical chairs moments might occur. Geoffrey and Christine sat together at one end with a spot for Paul and Jesse to either side of them.

Paul and Christine would rise as they entered, "Please, everyone.. have a seat. We want to graciously thank you for the help you've been the past several days during our recovery and in stopping the assassin. We couldn't think of any better way than a feast. We hope you do not object." He grinned, a grin that once was warm and welcoming.. but now to many would perhaps be considered ghastly.. as three white rows of gleaming serrated teeth would be revealed by his smile.

[b]Brian then asked Jesse something after they sat down, [/b]“Usually you start the dinner conversation when we are at feasts like this.”

[b]Jesse answered, [/b]“After what happened at the last one back in Noveria I prefer not to start it this time. Besides there is nothing I have to say other than what they probably already heard.”

[b]Paul then said, [/b]“Than I will.” [b]He looks at King Geoffrey and Queen Christine,[/b] “It was pretty amazing at how quickly you were able to drive away from the bullet when the assassin shot at you.”

Geoffrey nodded, "It took me off guard as well. I saw the glint of the optics. As soon as I saw them I saw the muzzle of the weapon below it. Christine saw the same. We both reacted accordingly." Geoffrey sat down as he waited for the others to take their selections first including Christine. He would take some white slices of the Turkey.. even though he knew it was destined to make him want an evening nap.

[b]Paul continued, [/b]"Not even Jesse can react to something like that so quickly."

[b]Jesse countered, [/b]"Actually I can and have. You wouldn't know because you are not getting shot at every time you have to do your job. That is also why I barely flinched when he shot. Everyone else was diving for cover but when you get used to the sound of gunfire and stuff like that you are not as scared of it as you were before. If I did dive down like the rest of you we probably would not have been able to get the assassin."

[b]Brian then spoke, [/b]"Jesse is correct. He did have him cornered before I got there but it was still me that took the final shot."

[b]Jesse was starting to get angry, [/b]"I could have dove out of the way if he fired."

[b]Paul then stood up, [/b]"Lets not get hostile here. You both did a good job and took him out. That is all that counts."

[b]Jesse continued, [/b]"He is correct. It was both of us together that brought him down. This is what counts."

[b]Ben then started to speak to Jesse, [/b]"I think we should tell them what I found out."

[b]Jesse answered, [/b]"I really do not think that is the best idea. I'm not saying it is a bad thing to do but something tells me this is not the place to tell them. Lets wait until after dinner, wait until everyone has full stomachs."

[b]Paul could see what he was thinking though. He could see why Jesse was worried, [/b]"You are worried because you do not know how they will react. It does not matter if we tell them or not because if we don't someone else will."

[b]Jesse finished, [/b]"Lets just wait until after dinner."

[b]Ben sighed, [/b]"OK."

[b]Jesse answered his question and told them, [/b]"Ben found some "noticeable changes" in the frontal lobe area of both of your brains. Yours and Queen Christine's. That is the area that deals with emotions and thoughts. I think it is nothing but still you needed to know."

[b]Paul looked at him, [/b]"That is what you were worried about telling them?"

[b]Jesse answered him, [/b]"I didn't know how they would react so that is why I wanted to wait until after dinner."

[b]Paul: [/b]Oh.

Edited by jesbro

Geoffrey shrugged, "With so many other changes to other parts of me and my beloved. I am not surprised. The Frontal Lobe if I'm not mistaken also deals a lot with image processing.. and given I now see you in spectra beyond visible light, I would assume I'd need more processing."

Christine stated somberly, "It's really kind of eerie. I can see your warm hearts beating. I can see the warm flow of blood through your body. It's not like from the Hollywood films.. it's just like.. I see heat in the same resolution I do color. You know..." She looked to Geoffrey while looking a bit excited. She had just had a remarkable idea, "I should draw the animals and people I see in this range of vision. It'd be a new form of art."

"Good idea love. I cannot wait to see your first work." He bit into a piece of his turkey and then sipped some of the champagne.

As everyone continued to eat they started to talk about what they were going to do for the next few days while waiting for more info on the Dragon Cult. Paul had an idea, "My estate on the Andorran coast has been vancant since I moved to the Andorran capital so you guys are welcomed to stay there for as long as you want. Heck you can turn it into your new base of operations for all I care. My friend Renard is the gardener and caretaker there and if there is anything you guys need just tell him and he will get it for you."

Jesse had a question about that place, "Is there a place there that can be used kind of like a briefing room to go over any intel we get?"

Paul answered, "The basement has many old screens and monitors that I have not used since I became Duke of Andorra. They are a lot like the ones I have in my office right now so they should be perfect."

Jesse finished, "Well unless something else happens here that is where we will head next." He looks at King Geoffrey and Queen Christine, "You guys should be fine now but if anything happens like another assassination attempt or something like that all you have to do is call us and we help track down those responsible and take them out." Paul then asked him when they plan on leaving Angers, "We will leave in a few days when we can confirm that things here will be safe."

Jesse knew that hiding themselves from the public was not the way to rule the country. He wanted to say something about it, "I do not believe that hiding yourselves from the public is not the best way to solve this. Although I can see why you want to do that the people will still want to see you no matter what has happened and staying hidden will not solve all of your problems. I think you should should just do things the way you normally did but with a few extra security guards watching or something like that."

Brian knew Jesse was right but he was still concerned over their safety, "That still won't make much of a difference Jesse. Although I agree that they should still appear to the public regularly extra security still won't solve the problem."

Jesse was now curious to what he was saying, "Than what will Brian? What do you think will solve the problem?"

Brian answered, "Besides killing anyone that may want to hurt them there is no way to solve it. As much as I do not want to admit it they are not humans anymore, they are something much more. The people that created that virus were looking for ways to advance humanity and I believe they found it. If there was a way to make the transformation process much safer by "editing" the virus to where the transformation won't kill you than I believe this virus is the key to the advancement of our race. The cult might have been using it for their own selfish gains but if someone was able to make the transformation non-painful and find a way to distribute it to everyone in the world... well just think of how the world would be."

Jesse already thought about that and that is what made him angry, "I already have thought of it and trust me it is somewhere you do not want to go. You may think it will solve all of our problems but it won't, humans have that ability to take something that could be good and make it totally bad. There are some things that will never change especially if this does happen. Famine, poverty, WAR, things like that will never change. I know you are trying to do something good Brian but just stop. This virus is not the answer to our problems and never will be, and this is the last I want to hear of it."