Discussion of AI versus VI

Triyun

Let me start out this thread by saying I fully support a ban on AIs. I think that especially the creation of true AI military hardware spells disaster for CN RP.

That said, I would like to start a discussion on what constitutes a VI versus AI. I am actually looking at this more on the civilian side rather than military side. As I said I'm quite a skeptic on the military side, if for no other reason than the effects it'd have on further making the top tier uber strong versus the bottom tier.

What I would like to do with my nation is begin the creation of early Asimov style robots. These robots would primarily be used with my new burgeoning major space program as well as perhaps use it in undersea economic operations, in a way which can be less harmful ecologically to the Sea Floor (a major issue).

Anyway I'd like to discuss where the red line is.

I consider an AI a machine that can think creatively and evolve beyond the parameters of programing on its own. I consider a VI an incredibly comprehensive construction of if then statements. I think that a VI can adapt some based on input, and expand the data sets for its programing, but it shouldn't be able to change underlying behavior.

Edited by Triyun

Personally I'd advocate maintaining two standards, a military one and a civilian one.

Militarily a VI should be able to process instructions, analyze information and within some extent be able to modify its programming. In essence not anything near the human intelligence however a military VI would be able to improve itself slightly everytime it has seen combat. A military VI would have no self-awareness, no feelings, etc as those serve no military purpose. You don't want your fighter to complain about his terrible working conditions in the middle of a dogfight.

Civilian I think the line should be a lot closer to AI. While a civilian VI should not be self-aware or be as or more effective than a human being. However a civilian VI should be able to have some form of problem solving integrated and perhaps even personalities. That said even those programs should be based on a core in hard code. I'd also see this sytem being able to alter its own coding more than a military vi.

[quote name='Centurius' timestamp='1315162923' post='2794741']
You don't want your fighter to complain about his terrible working conditions in the middle of a dogfight.
[/quote]
I totally want my fighter plane to be like Woody Allen in a dogfight.

Oy, you call that a barrel roll?

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1315173642' post='2794863']
I totally want my fighter plane to be like Woody Allen in a dogfight.

Oy, you call that a barrel roll?
[/quote]

Be careful, if robots are too whiney I'll send Mascurians for my deep space missions instead.

[quote name='Triyun' timestamp='1315173739' post='2794865']
Be careful, if robots are too whiney I'll send Mascurians for my deep space missions instead.
[/quote]
We'll just start whining when we run out of important things like turnips or oxygen.

Well, for use against other RPers, BAAL would most likely fall under the VI with the capability to adapt and catalogue output based on varying stimuli category. For fluff, I WAS going to start veering towards C&C CABAL territory and have it develop a disgust for humanity, while still being immovably binded to its masters - kind of like Rampage and Megatron :P