Reformation of the Confederation of Arctic Nations

Californian

"We feel that Buryatia's opinion has been totally neglected when considering what this unfair charter states. Therefore along with the UFE we refuse to sign and we will now take our leave from this conference."

Nataliya Valueva then rose from her seat and exited the room.

Edited by Curristan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Then perhaps Sir, you would be so kind as to offer your opinions and possible suggestions in regards the articles laid down? Nothing is yet set in stone and Britain is willing to discuss how to make this treaty more relevant to what its goals are. Those around this table must work together to accomodate the objections raised by Vauleyo, Burytia and the UFE and to find a middle ground we can agree on. A point raised earlier in the discussion was in reference to possible tensions that could arise from this organisation and its my personally firm belief that the tensions could be lowered to a level not worth noticing, or removing them all together by hammering out a treaty that fits into the foreign policies of the nations assembled here today."

"Well, if Vauleyo and the UFE do not wish to agree on the current terms, and do not wish to make any changes to the treaty, then they need not sign it. While it would be preferable if we could work out a middle ground, the CAN can still be formed without these nations."

Crown Prince Yuri stood from his seat and took a deep breath. He glanced at Deputy Prime Minister Kerbev, then turned to the conference:

[i]"Ladies and gentlemen, I reiterate that the concerns I have raised have not in my view been sufficiently addressed. The fundamental questions that we have posed have not been addressed by most present here. Despite this I have sought to find an acceptable middle ground. Rather than simply proposing a series of modifications to the treaty without arriving at a set of common goals and positions,which is in our view a waste of time, we sought to first determine by consensus the direction which the reformed CAN would go.

The suggestion by the Commonwealth of Canada that we either agree to and sign the treaty, propose changes or not sign it at all is neither constructive nor in the spirit of cooperation. The statement seems to imply that by having different positions than those of the majority, my allies and I are in some way delaying the process of reforming CAN. It shows clearly that our efforts at further dialogue are futile as the treaty is, in the opinions of quite a few present, finalized. The disrespectful manner in which one of my nation's closest allies was treated by one potential signatory is also of concern to us.

As there is clearly no point in my remaining here any longer, I will depart. The Serene Republic of Vaule will not at this time sign the treaty, nor apply for observer status in the reformed CAN. We wish those present the best of luck. I thank our gracious hosts the Federal Republic of Greenland.

Good day."[/i]-Prince Yuri

Prince Yuri walked swiftly out of the room followed closely by Deputy Prime Minister Kerbev. Wasting no time, they headed immediately for the airport and took off for Vaule.

On board the aircraft en route to Vaule the Prince turned to the Deputy Prime Minister and said:
[i]"With allies like those, who needs enemies"[/i]

"It seems we have reached a deadlock. We have answered all questions asked of us and if certain nations are unwilling to compromise then I'm afraid little else can be done. We wish the best to these nations including the UFE and Vaule and hope that our relations will continue to improve, irregardless of membership in the CAN.

Lunch has been prepared just outside the room and I invite all of you to take a well-needed break and eat and drink. After lunch is over, I invite all the nations who intend to join the CAN back into the conference room so that we may proceed."
[b]
[OOC: Only nations who have indicated their intent to sign the document may now post.][/b]

"Welcome back!" Californian said to those who had returned back to the room, all feeling slightly fuller. He was delighted to see the faces of so many neighbors and friends present, and he was confident that the CAN would be an even bigger success this time around due to these people.

"After more discussion I present a revised version of the Charter, with changes in Article VII. detailing membership. I hope you find it satisfactory and I encourage everyone gathered here to make suggestions or revisions as you feel necessary.

The next order of business is to select a location for the CAN headquarters. Does anyone here have any preference for the location? I feel that the Commonwealth of Canada would be a suitable choice for a headquarters in the center of CAN member nations however north Greenland may be more suitable for a location in the center of the Arctic region as a whole."

[quote]
Charter
of the
Confederation of Arctic Nations

[b]I. Preamble[/b]

The undersigned nations are sovereign independent entities who sign this pact in the hopes of peace and prosperity for the mutual betterment of the respective signatories as well as the Arctic region as a whole. Through this treaty the aforementioned states strive to ensure security and justice through a unified Arctic defense, increase well-being through economic measures, and promote Arctic unity through cross-cultural exchange as well as increased cooperation.

[b]II. Non-Aggression & Intelligence[/b]

The aforementioned nations agree to a pact of non-aggression, and will not interfere or step into the soil of any other member nation that does not specifically ask for outside assistance. Nor will any signatory illegally spy, destabilize, or in any other way attempt to bring harm to another signatory.

The nations in this pact agree to disclose and share any relevant intelligence and information that would adversely affect the security of a fellow member nation or this organization.

[b]III. Mutual Defense[/b]

The aforementioned nations agree to a pact of mutual defense and pledge to defend any member of this treaty that is being attacked by a foreign aggressor. If a nation is waging a defensive war, the signatories promise to provide military, intelligence, and civilian aid to ensure the survival of the threatened nation.

Member nations are not required to assist in any aggressive war started by a signatory. If fellow signatories wish to support the nation that is in a state of war, they are allowed to do so, but this is neither required nor expected of any nation upholding this charter.

[b]IV. Economic & Political Cooperation[/b]

The nations in this treaty agree to try to engage in mutually beneficial economic policies and agreements with other member nations when possible. Members should work to increase economic cooperation through increased trade and lowered tariffs.

The nations in this treaty agree to house embassies of other nations in this pact in the spirit of political cooperation. Likewise, nations agree to staff foreign embassies with diplomatic staff.

[b]V. Organization of the Confederation of Arctic Nations[/b]

The member nations agree to staff a Confederation of Arctic Nations headquarters in the city of ____. The undersigned nations agree to staff the building with permanent representatives at all times to ensure urgent issues can be quickly dealt with. All foreign diplomats in the Confederation of Arctic Nations headquarters are provided full diplomatic immunity.

The Confederation of Arctic Nations General Assembly, consisting of all full member nations, will be led by the Confederation of Arctic Nations Secretary General. The Secretary General is elected with a 66% majority to a six year term (OOC: six months) and acts as the spokesperson for the Confederation of Arctic Nations. The Secretary General may be impeached with 75% of member nations voting in favor of impeachment.
[b]
VI. Security Council[/b]

The nations in this treaty agree to form a Security Council tasked with providing a unified command during periods when Article III of this pact has been activated. While member nations will maintain complete authority over their citizens, the Security Council will provide a centralized front to repel any aggressive attack on a member of this organization.

The Security Council will be led by the Security Council Chairman. The Chairman is democratically elected for a six year term (OOC: six months) by members of the Confederation of Arctic Nations. The Chairman can be impeached with 75% of member nations voting in favor of impeachment.

[b]VII. Membership[/b]

Nations may apply to join this treaty at any time, as either a member state or observer state. There are no specific requirements to apply for membership, however geographical location in the Arctic or close proximity to other member nations is suggested.

Observer states agree to uphold all articles except Articles III and VI. They may not vote however they are allowed to discuss Arctic matters and affairs as well as cooperate with other full member and observer states. Observer states are allowed to maintain a delegation at the Confederation of Arctic Nations and may participate in non-secret General Assembly dialogue and discussions. To apply for observer state status, the applicant must submit an official application to the Confederation of Arctic Nations Headquarters and receive unanimous approval from members of the Confederation of Arctic Nations.

Full member states agree to uphold all articles in this treaty and are guaranteed a vote in any matter brought before the Confederation of Arctic Nations. They agree to defend other full members. Member states are allowed to maintain a delegation at the Confederation of Arctic Nations and may participate in all General Assembly dialogue, discussions, and voting. After one year (OOC: one month) of being an observer state in this treaty, a nation is eligible to apply for full membership standing. The applicant must submit an official application to the Confederation of Arctic Nations Headquarters and receive unanimous approval from the members of the Confederation of Arctic Nations.

If a member nation exhibits behavior or rhetoric inconsistent with the principles and goals detailed in this document they may be expelled from the Confederation of Arctic Nations by a vote of all full member nations besides the nation in question. If over three-quarters of members vote in favor of expulsion, the nation in question will be removed from the Confederation of Arctic Nations and will have neither the privileges nor responsibilities associated with membership in this organization. They may be reinstated if they follow all procedures for membership outlined in this Article.

[b]VIII. Amendments[/b]

This treaty, excluding Article II, may be amended at any time. Any changes to the wording of this document require more than three-quarters majority of all member states in favor of the proposed changes.

[b]IX. Termination[/b]

No nation shall be forced to stay in this treaty against their will and are allowed to leave if they so choose. Thus, any nation may leave this pact so long as they give a five day notice before withdrawal. The nation may apply to rejoin at any time, however the nation must follow all procedures to becoming a member state as written in Article VII.

[b]X. Signatures[/b]

This treaty was ratified on the date of June XX, 20XX. The undersigned agree to uphold this treaty and all of its specified obligations to the best of their abilities.
[/quote]

Edited by Californian

I find this agreeable to Manitoba's needs.

[quote]
[b]For The Kingdom of Manitoba[/b]
[i] Queen Andrea White[/i]
Queen of Manitoba

[i]Marcus Henderson[/i]
Prime Minister of Manitoba

[i]Paul Thomas[/i]
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.[/quote]

Edited by Stefano Palmieri

La Republique du Quebec would like to propose a location within our borders as the headquarters for the CAN. Just as the original headquarters was within our borders, we feel that it would provide continuity.

[quote]
Maxime Vigneault, President of Quebec
Alexandre Picard, Prime Minister of Quebec
Cherie Lalonde, Foreign Minister for Quebec

1st Parliament of La Republique du Quebec[/quote]

[quote]For the United Kingdom of Great Britain

Queen Jessica Bonaparte-Windsor[/quote]

"I would like to nominate London for the home of the CAN. It is newly rebuilt and there is a specially built embassy district for organisations like these." said Jessica as she looked around.

"We are glad to see the Commonwealth of Canada, Kingdom of Manitoba, Republique du Quebec, and United Kingdom commit to the Confederation of Arctic Nations. While we believe both the Commonwealth and United Kingdom would be excellent locations for the CAN headquarters, we find ourselves in agreement with Quebec and believe that the headquarters should be hosted in the city of Ivujivik in Quebec, the traditional location of the CAN.

Would this be acceptable to the other members, or do you wish to put the matter to a vote?"

OOC: I will have the CAN thread up tomorrow.