When the Hero becomes...

Sarah Tintagyl

After some tension in the cockpit, Fletcher smiled. They had been allowed to pass. He told the pilot, "Continue," and went out into the cabin.

Otranto would receive a final message from the trailing airplane in which the Hourglass representative was. "Lemur Heavy 309, acknowledge. Proceeding on course over the Adriatic. Over and out."

The planes, having been in a holding pattern above the Mediterranean, banked and set off on a course to the Adriatic, from which they would enter Republican Austria. Feeling the plane begin to turn, the passengers tensed up. A murmur of doubt rose up among them. Were they turning back?

Their group leaders had come out from the business class, and one of them took the initiative to make an announcement. "Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement regarding our status with the blockade..." He paused for effect, looking among the faces, then: "We're going to Austria!" Another cheer rose up in every aisle. The second meal was given out, and within an hour, they were entering Austrian airspace, sticking more closely together; side by side now, only 200 meters apart. Fletcher contacted the Salzburg air command using the encryption codes that had been handed to Saenger, and made arrangements for equipment to be prepared for unboarding of personnel and unloading of cargo.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[code]
Madame Chancellor,

I have the pleasure of informing you that your
Russian doctor has come through in the most
spectacular way possible. The Bohemian Assault
against Salzburg in the air has been repulsed
without any casualties to our own forces. Dr. Y
and his men have devised some of the most clever
equipment that I have seen in my life and with it
I believe that the defense of Salzburg is secure
even with an Imperial assault that is likely to
follow.

In light of a possible attack, I have done what I
can to prepare defenses on the outskirts of the city
and will see what Dr. Y will propose as well. My hopes
are that the garrison in Linz will exhaust itself to
the point that perhaps even a counter attack is possible.
If this is the case, do I have permission to assault Linz,
if practical?

In addition, the units of those Artican mercenaries have
arrived this morning. They will have their orders to
join our own soldiers in defense of the city and offer
what other services they can provide to our army.
I am actually surprised that someone of your, shall
we say, idea of the world would go to hire Articans to
fight in this war. However, anything will work to send
those Bohemians back to the hell hole where they came from.

I wish you well on the Southern Front and with any luck
we may meet each other in Vienna before long.

Regards,

R.O. Lemann
[/code]

---

[code]
Madame Chancellor,

I wish to submit my report for the recent engagement at
Scheifling. At the moment, I have engaged both divisions
under my command and have deployed them from Oberwolz in
the north towards St. Lambrecht, about ten miles south
from Scheifling. I believe that I have in fact engaged
a great deal of the Graz garrison and have left much of
the city undefended. With our forces now concentrated in
the south, I believe we have ample opportunity to capture
not only Graz and Klagenfurt, but perhaps the whole of
Slovenia and Southern Austria as well.

At the moment, I wish I had better news to report that
there might be a break through of the lines. However, the
Imperial Army has command of the hills to the south of
Scheifling and attempting to flank their positions proved
to do nothing more than expand the stalemate between our
forces.

I regret to inform you, Madame Chancellor, that until a
breakthrough can occur here, my divisions will be pinned
in Scheifling as I refuse to give up the field, unless
under specific orders from Your Excellency. I believe that
giving Graz the ability to command this section of Austria would
go against our general strategy and thus will hold until relieved.

My divisions will await your orders, Excellency. Until then,
I wish you well in bringing victory to our men in the south.

-Schroder
[/code]

---

When Giullia would enter Bridgette's room in the inn of Mallnitz, she found the Chancellor, not only awake but foraging through the various reports that had arrived the night before. It seemed as though the entire war had exploded in a brilliant display of attacks and counter-attacks from both the Imperial and Republican Forces. At the moment events seemed hopeful that if the Republicans played their cards correctly, the Imperials could well be routed from the south. The report from Lemann shocked Bridgette most of all. Dr. Y had not only come through for her, but his expertise in military technology may have turned the table in favor of the Republicans. If the Bohemians couldn't even conduct a successful bombing raid over Salzburg then there was a chance that the city itself could hold against the attack from Linz. A counter-attack didn't seem practical, but if it could perhaps divide the Imperial garrison in Vienna and other southern cities further, then a sacrificial attack would be worth it.

Now it was time to push the Republican success, Klagenfurt lay five days ahead of Bridgette's main force and while she expected a rather large garrison, with fifty thousand men at her command along with armor and artillery, she was confident that the day would be hers.

The news that Giullia brought only heightened the Chancellor's spirits, however, Bridgette had never fully trusted the young Italian. While the girl seemed sincere enough, an Italian Rebel who wanted Italy freed from the grips of the Athenians, there was something about her composure that the Chancellor didn't like. There was a passion that a revolutionary carried, a passion that could not be replicated through acting or pantomime, and Giullia's passion came up short. Perhaps it was an Italian thing, their previous rebellions had failed, perhaps they had worn themselves out. Either way, Bridgette always kept an eye on her when the Italian was near.

Bridgette lifted her head from the reports and smiled at Giullia. "Your friends finally came through then. Personally, if they are willing to fight along side us, I don't see why they wait to attack. Independence and freedom is a costly objective when you are ruled by tyrants, our forces would be glad to help your countrymen and a friendly and independent Italy would do much to change the course of Europe." She sighed, "But Italy's destiny is their own and I will not interfere with which I do not understand. Nevertheless, Giullia, I appreciate your report, I thank you, hopefully without Athens' direct intervention the Imperials will crumble even faster."

She turned back to the reports and began writing her replies to Lemann and Schroder. "But unless there is anything else you wish to report, you are relieved Signora Ferrari. I suggest you ready yourself, we will be heading out from Mallnitz shortly."

---

[quote]
[b]To: A.L. Representative of Ravenwood Enterprises
From: Frederich Kant, Her Imperial Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs
Subject: Aid[/b]
[i]
Dear Sir,

While the Empire has attempted to remove itself from the purchasing of mercenary soldiers to fight our wars it would also appear that many of our allies have their hands tied in coming to the aid of the rightful government of Austria. So long as your men behave in accordance to the by-laws of the Imperial Austrian Army, we would have no problems in hiring Ravenwood to do more of the less attractive work that some of our soldiers are not obligated or prepared to do. Perhaps with your skills, Ravenwood may serve a larger purpose in crushing this rebellion, that said in destroying this snake at it's head. Chancellor Saenger is a proud woman and so long as she is alive, her movement attracts follows away from our distraught Empress. These two-hundred men, I believe would be better suited at destroying the command structure of the Republican Army than fighting along side men in the field.

Our intelligence reports that he main Republican Army, commanded by Saenger herself is heading south to block off Imperial routes to the Adriatic and thus trade with our allies. If this force could be delayed or demoralized in anyway, Her Majesty would be most appreciative.

Sincerely,

Frederich Kant
Minister of Foreign Affairs[/i]
[/quote]

The Lemur Charters 747's departed once all passengers and cargo was unloaded, and they had refueled.

The troops gathered at their designated staging area. Each group formed a formation of twenty abreast, six deep. The group leaders all stood before their charges, and briefed them on the situation as workers handed out each mercenary's equipment packet, including his or her weapon. Everyone was issued an F2000 as a primary and a Glock machine pistol as a sidearm. The briefing continued through the distribution.

In the back row of one group, a mercenary slightly turned his head to another and whispered, "Never thought I'd visit Mozart's hometown. Wonder if they'll let us inside his house?" The other operator looked straight ahead, and tried not to crack up.

Andrew Fletcher's staff of 20 had already gone on to the Republican command and control center to coordinate activity. The man himself was walking in front of every group, reviewing his soldiers for hire. This man fit his bureaucratic attire well, both in demeanor and frame. He was here for the company's bottom line. Fletcher got the attention of all the operators, with some difficulty as he didn't have their respect. "Alright, listen now. This is our first combat contract, and our most major to date. Be professional. Don't cause trouble, and we'll do just fine here."

Some of the operators stared skeptically at the man, crossing their arms as he talked as if waiting for a lecture to be over.

Sensing that Fletcher wasn't getting anywhere and the troops had already been briefed, the group leaders got them moving. "Form fives, secure your weapons, and move to your positions. Let's go!" And so the diverse mass of mercenaries were on their way. Afrikaners, blacks, Anglo-Transvalers, Anglo-Arcticans, American-Arcticans, French-Arcticans, Mozambicans, Malagasy...

A highly encrypted message is sent to the government of the Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia in order to pave the way for direct assistance to Austrian forces:

[quote]
To: The Government of the Greater Nordic Empire of Dalmatia
Fr: East Asia Co, and Ministry of External Affairs, Serene Republic of Vaule

We have received word from our allies in Austria, that you are also supporting their cause. We therefore request permission to move supplies and armaments to the Austrian front through Dalmatian territory in support of our mutual allies. We recognize the utmost need for secrecy, and would therefore be willing to disguise said supplies and armaments as cross border trade and humanitarian supplies.

If granted permission to do this, we will file an inventory with your government of all supplies to be sent to Austria. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Signed,
D. Petrovic
[/quote]

[b]***Classified***[/b]

Five trucks are filled with supplies for the Austrian troops and are sent to the Vaulian-Dalmatian border to await further instructions. The trucks would remain on the Vaulian side, as if they were being processed by Vaulian customs while waiting on the response from Dalmatia.

[quote]
[b][u]Supply Inventory[/b][/u]
30,000 AK 47 Rifles
8,000 SA 7 MANPADs
6,000 Anti-Tank Missiles
Medical Supplies[/quote]

Additionally a team of 350 soldiers are specially prepared to be sent into Austria. Each soldier removes all identifying markers and patches and wears old body armor and camouflage. The soldiers then remove their name tags and other forms of ID and are assigned pseudonyms.

• 2 weeks later...

Austrian Controlled Vatican City,

Pope Pius XV rubbed the cross dangling from his neck with his aged fingers as he looked out over the darkening vista of Rome. It was a little piece of Austria that remained outside of the turmoil of the civil war, but the figure behind him said otherwise. How she had made it through Athenian security was beyond him, but she had and she had come desperate and with a daring proposition that even he could not understand. Turning back from the Roman skyline, Pius looked at the woman lounging in his office. Her blonde hair fell far past her shoulders and her body showed the first signs of fatigue, but other than that she looked extremely dashing in her black Republican uniform and maybe with enough work could even test his vows of celibacy. He shook the idea from his head and walked over towards his chair and laid his hands on the back of the cushion.

"I should have you arrested for being here, Signora Saenger, this is Monarchist territory. You know that."

Bridgette looked up at the Pope and smiled. "But you didn't, Your Holiness, because I think you are in fact intrigued with my proposition."

Pius smirked as he reached for his tea cup and sat down on the chair. "You are still mad, Signora."

"Mad?" The Austrian Chancellor nodded, "Yes, most likely, but you also know that my proposition is the only thing that could be accepted by both the Republicans and the Monarchists as a way to end the fighting in Austria. Not only that, but it would place the Papacy on the forefront of European negotiations. It would renew both Papal and Austrian strength at the same time. We are the only country that could make this happen, Your Holiness, you have to think long term."

Pius stared down at his tea and then raised his eyes to Bridgette. She really was mad. The woman wore a gigantic grin on her face and her eyes sparkled ravenously in the bright candle light, if she was not mad, then it was clear that she was possessed by a demon of unimaginable power and the Pope almost felt bad for the woman's fragile body. Her proposition was almost as maddening as her grin. In a few words, she had described out it could fall to the Church to end the fighting between the Republicans and the Monarchists, that nearly all of Austria, since the Nordic and Communist Wars, had become a fervent Catholic state, perhaps to the point of extremism. Extremism in this case was not always bad though. Only a few days ago, Pius had given Cardinal Alfonsino Lucchesi permission for the creation of the Congregation of the Liberation of Truth, a secret department with dealing with the new wave of heresy and paganism in Europe. Lucchesi was adamant that this would be the last Holy War, that the Catholic Church must step up with all it's wealth and power and crush Paganism and Heresy once and for all. Saenger's proposal would accomplish the political side of this.

After the Church would bring the sides together, Bridgette and Maria would declare a personal truce and pledge their individual loyalty to Pius and the Papacy. Following this pledge a national referendum would be passed in Vatican City and throughout Austria for a final union between the two regions. What would come, if fate was friendly was a new country and new government, a Papal State that would extend from Rome, across the Adriatic through Slovenia and to the northern border of Austria. The Greater Papal States, ruled by Pius and aided by the Hapsburgs and Saenger individually. Religion was the only force that could peacefully bring Austria together and as Bridgette said and as Maria had pointed out long ago, Europe was in dire need of a Crusade.

"You are leaving a lot to chance, Signora Saenger. You seem rather taken that Austria will subject itself to Roman rule."

Bridgette smiled again. "Roman rule? No, Your Holy Father, Papal Rule. The Pagans occupy Rome and the Eastern Empress will not approve of this move at all. Valerio Moretti will be wedded to Maria von Hapsburg however and that well keep us safe from the south. It is the North and the East we must worry about, but I can take care of the West."

"Dalmatia? How?"

She bowed her head, "I have my ways. But this Papal State while perhaps centered in Rome, while perhaps your seat will exist in Rome, it will be administered from Vienna. One city cannot be the capital for two rising and powerful nations."

Pius blinked at how quick the words dashed from her mouth. "You prepared a great deal of this, Signora, I'm impressed."

"Well I talked a bit over with Cardinal Lucchesi to make sure it was tailored right. The question lays with the Church now. Will you end the fighting Your Holiness? Can we together give Austria and the Papacy another chance at life?"

"And if the Hapsburgs refuse?"

"They're as fanatical as I am." She shook her head and grinned. "They wouldn't dare."

Pius sighed and ran his hand across his bald head and slowly began to nod. "This may very well be the last gambit of the Church, Signora Saenger, but God has never let our faith down yet. He has given us many tasks and many trials, which we have weathered as good children and believers. I do hope both you, the Empress Maria, and Cardinal Lucchesi know this will not be a simple walk to salvation."

"It is time for all of Christendom to carry her cross, Your Holiness, we will not let them waver, no matter what the tribulation."

The Pope smiled and raised his glass. "In good faith, Sister."

"In good faith, Father."

---

The next day a document of truce would arrive in Vienna, which garnered as much surprise to the Monarchists as it did to the Republicans fighting. An age of political strife was coming to an end and on the other side would be salvation, delivered by the hand of God.

OOC: I'm going to take some liberties with what the mercenaries are doing, please correct me if parts of this are not acceptable.

IC: The Royalists had not attacked Salzburg since the Hourglass operators had arrived, and in the intervening time, the mercenaries, seeing their combat services were not immediately needed, procured permission from the Salzburg ground commanders to take some of their operators off the line; two whole groups, out of six total, left the defenses and proceeded to offer alternative services to the Republican army.

Condor Group split themselves up, one section going to the city's police stations, and the other section going to whatever staging area was being used to gather up the Republican militia forces. The first section assessed the needs of the police force and began training officers in weapon use, as well as providing additional advice to any special units the police force possessed.

The other section worked to free skilled Republican soldiers by replacing them as instructors for the militia; devising a schedule when the militiamen would all be available for training, they drilled them for hours on end, teaching them everything from marksmanship to small-unit tactics. In the warm spring sun, Hourglass instructors shouted at them and encouraged them to perform better. The instructors would forgo formalities such as proper uniform wear, the specifics of standing at attention, and other things that a regular army with the luxury of time would have to learn. They were mainly concerned with preparing the men for the inevitable defense of their town, using the time that they had.

Cheetah Group detached themselves from the main defense force and accompanied Republican scouts - if any - on excursions to the countryside, making sure to map the countryside in case they needed to fight there. After they were done with this, the group focused their efforts on mapping the city; all of them had memorized, for the most part, a basic road map, but in case heavy street to street fighting occurred, they would be able to use the additional details on the Cheetah maps to plan individual unit tactics - ambushes, possible cover, dead ends, bottlenecks or prime booby trap locations. A few separate maps were made, then their data combined, copied and distributed to Hourglass defenders, and the Republicans if they wanted them.

[img]http://www.turkishmaritime.com.tr/images/news/3807.jpg[/img]

The Buryatia Red Cross Ship BRCV Hope after many days at sea, finally arrived at Venice. Her vital cargo would now be unloaded at the port for distribution to the refugees that were fleeing the fighting. Hopefully the aid would save many lives and prevent any outbreak of disease.

Edited by Curristan

[b]Legion Forward Command - Austria[/b]

Denard, that tired old man of the the Legion watches the news broadcasts quietly. For the longest time Legion waited quietly as the revolution played out around them. Their forgotten backwater of Austria, the nuclear strike site, had kept them busy enough with repairs and rebuilding. Up until now, where Denard had just gotten word from the Legion Council in Port Sudan to carry out show of friendship and community in Vienna.

The idea, or so it is said, harks back to the rise of the Legion in Somalia where Denard ordered his men into the streets to restore order through their presence. Not one single man carried a weapon, their weapons were their stoic looking demeanor and glib tongues. Within days peace was restored to the streets of the Somalian capital through diplomacy and a more than a few cracked heads.

General Ian Hardcastle and Chargin' Charlie Beckwith sit with Denard as they plan out the specifics of the evolution. "Hardcastle, you are going to lead the new 4th Regimental Combat Team to the first rally point. Once there you are going secure, peacefully, this small airfield. We'll bring in a squadron of C-130s once the field is secure. This will give us lift capacity that we can use for bringing in and out humanitarian supplies," Denard orders.

"Yes sir, will we also be operating a connecting service?" Hardcastle asks. The idea is another old Legion idea in which smaller aircraft are used to tie the country together in order to optimize medical and civil services during a time of crisis.

"Yes, small Legion detachments led by M'Bembe are fanning out to other major hospitals and civil sites to act as security and to assist them with delivering services. Unarmed messengers have been dispatched to the local police stations and military headquarters informing them of our intentions and with orders to act as a go between to facilitate communications with Austrian Authorities and Legion," Denard states.

"Above all else the Austrian Government rules the waves and waives the rules?" Beckwith inquires.

"Yes, I don't want any shooting contests. Just go in quietly and if they ask you to leave, then leave. I don't think there will be any issues with our permission from the Empress in hand, but you never know," Denard replies.

"Local conditions?" Beckwith asks the Legion Intelligence Operations Director Mustapha.

"Calm, nothing majorly amiss, but tense. Try not to start shooting the place up," Mustapha suggests.

"What are my orders sir?" Beckwith turns and asks Denard.

"Carvinals for the mob my good man," Denard replies.

"Oh god, you can't be serious," Beckwith replies.

"As a heart attack," Denard laughs.

"I'm so not dressing up as a clown for a bunch of kids, even if they are Austrian kids," Beckwith grumps.

"Nothing that extreme, just go into Vienna, hold the parade, set up at the local parks, and spread good will, good intentions, and shake hands. We want the people of Vienna to see that Legion is here as a neutral party, we aren't going to let the civilians get caught in the crossfire of competing government factions if we can possibly avoid it. Our first loyalty is to the Empress, but the Empress has never once ordered us to act against her people, we need to let the people know that," Denard states.

ooc:

10:53 tidybowlman Btw.. can the Empress give the Legion a permit to hold a parade in Vienna.
10:55 SarahTintagyl sure

[i]Vienna- Thursday, 2 days before The Parade[/i]

Overnight signs go up announcing a parade and after parade entertainment to be provided by the Austrian Legion. The route of the parade is clearly labeled on the posters. Legion Military Police Detachments are spread out across the route to network and coordinate with Austrian Police to organize the flow of traffic for minimal disruption to the Austrian Civilians.

Likewise, fourteen other sites are set up for the expositions of Legion Units. They are well stocked with petting zoos, carnival rides, and a variety of other fun family style activities. Rumors have been spread that the Austrian Legion Commander Denard has consented to taking his turn in a dunking tank for the raising of money for local charities.

At the bottom of each poster is a small notice:

"Austrian Legion supports our Empress, The Austrian Legion serves Austria. Together the Legion and Austria will walk towards a peaceful future no matter what changes may transpire."

[B]Saturday Morning, Vienna, Main Street (whatever the heck they call it in Austria[/b]

The Grandmaster of the Parade, Dellion, renders a rigid salute to the assembled officials as he brings the assembled men to attention. He barks out a single order and says, "Austrian Legion, FOWARD HARCH!"

Within seconds the sounds of nearly 250 massed Bag Pipers begin to squall and scream in unison as they follow Dellion as he leads the Austrian Legion down the street. Dellion secretly knows the joke of the Bag Pipers. Denard having heard a piper years ago had said to him, "Dear god, assemble enough of those and we'll never have a man fall out of a formation ever again. The sounds of one of them alone will drive a man insane."

A short week after those fateful words Denard was forced to march in front of three Bag Pipers in a small parade in Port Sudan. Ever since Denard and Dellion had found ways to inflict the Bag Pipers on each other as a running practical joke. The Legionnaires seem to enjoy the squalling as they march so all in all it works out at all levels of the Legion.

The First Regimental Combat Team crashes its way down the street. Thousands of lead tipped boots crash down in time with each other as the they march to the wailing strains of the March of Cambreath. Their standards in front, with General Chargin' Charlie Beckwith and the Standard Bearer Private Suwi Duva guide the Regiment. Suwi, a massive human being, stands nearly six foot six tall and is massively muscled. A freak combination of genetics and good diet that isn't often found in Africa.

Above Suwi is the battle tattered 1st Regiment Colors that has been often repaired. It still bears the original African Legion insignia and the 47 individual battle streamers of the 1st Regiment. At the top of the Regimental Standards is a new stream that proudly advertises, "Austrian Legion, The Empress's Own". While the Standards of the Legion all bear the signs of hard use the uniforms, freshly provided by the Austrian Government do not.

The men are extremely well turned out. Their veteran NCOs having gone over each and every one of the men and their individual equipment with a fine tooth comb. Polish, care, and hard work had turned the men out looking sharp and professional. The scars many of the men carry from battle, from the harsh life of African, and the occasional bar brawl showed them not to be parade ground pansies that tend to clog up other professional armies.

Behind the 1st Regiment marches the 2nd, behind the second marches the 3rd, and behind the 3rd marches the Regimental Support Groups. At the rear of the column marches Denard and his hand picked support team. Well, not so much marching as Denard decided beforehand to torment Dellion with the knowledge that while he has to lead the parade on foot, Denard will be taking up the rear on an well polished APC.

The sides of the APC are decorated with signs saying, "Dunk a General for 1 dollar and support Charity!" Denard waves, smiles, throws children candy, and shakes hands as he often gets off the APC to offer tickets for the dunking tank to the local civilians. While he does so his nervous security team quietly capers about as they are dressed as clowns and are quite ineptly looking the part. Despite their lack of clown like performance the children seem loudly entertained, while Denard suspects their parents are probably wondering how such large infantrymen were squeezed into such small clown costumes.

Each and every chance Denard gets he spreads the message, "The Legion is here to support Austrians. We'll do our bit to keep the peace. If you need help with anything, contact the Legion. Yes, we unplug toilets, rescue cats, fix porches, and you name it we'll help do it." He also makes sure people here him telling children, "Stay in school, get a good education, and listen to the police. Legionnaires follow the police's orders so should you."

As Denard passes the Empress's Palace he orders his APC to a halt, his entire command staff dismounts, and they kneel in prayer. They pray to whatever diety they worship for the safety and health of the Empress. It is an another disconcerting moment for Denard's security detachment, still dressed as clowns, as they stand around looking nervously at the crowds whilst their leader kneels on the pavement and prays.

The parade winds to a halt as the individual units break off and report to their fair sites. Translators are well positioned around the sites to answer questions of the local civilians. Denard and Dellion find themselves at the dunking tank waiting for customers. It appears the last laugh is on Denard as Dellion says, "Sorry Bob, you are going to have to go first. I'm on sick call, blisters on my feet and all."

"@#$#!!!" Denard comments.