Italian Declaration of War

Michael McBride

The shot was a familiar one. Tom Dobbs, Presidente of the Italian Federation, sat behind his desk with the backdrop of Rome behind him. While the images were being transmitted live from Rome, Dobbs himself was actually in Guam, at Fort Lamlam, safely underground. The world at large, however, would not know this.

"People of Italy, Europe, and the world, I come before you tonight under the gravest of circumstances. Just minutes ago, I signed the executive order declaring war on the nation of Valencia. To those who would cheer this as a noble action, I ask you to refrain. I have just had to do one of the most un-Presidential acts you could ask of me: I have ordered brave young men and women to their deaths."

"To those who ask why the Italian Federation stands with Louisiana now, it is for two very simple reasons. One, they are our friends. And two, because it is what is right. One does not need to hold a treaty with another nation to be able to help them in their time of need when they are faced with injustice and overwhelming odds. Today we stand against a much stronger force, but we will prevail, and we must prevail, because the consequences if we do not could be disastrous."

"It is a well known fact that as a leader in America, I advocated the same stance being taken now by Scotland and her allies. I advocated that America was for Americans, and that everyone else should stay out. I even participated in the exclusion of an American nation from America. These are not actions that I am proud of, but they are actions that I have learned from. And what I learned is this: there is no place, in a modern, enlightened society, for ethnocentrism. There is no place for any "continent-first" policy. Colonialism is dead. In this age of information and moral indignation, news travels too fast to allow any nation to colonize if others do not allow it. What we see before us is simply Scotland and her allies throwing their weight around because they can. Because they choose to feel threatened." Dobbs sighed for a moment, looking down, and then looked back up at the camera.

"My friends, my brothers and sisters, we must fight for what is right. Not days, months, or years into the future, but right now, at this very instant. We must fight for not only the freedom of our continent, but the freedom of the world. We can stand together, and with one voice, tell the tyrants that their bigotry and ethnocentrism has no place in our world anymore. We can say that a nation's sovereignty must be respected by all, not just when it is convenient for you to do so. We not only can do these things, we will do these things."

"And so, it is time now for that phrase that has made me and our military famous throughout the world. Valencia: Time to nut up or shut up."

**CLASSIFIED**

Military has moved to DEFCON 2. Active military being prepped to deploy. Naval assets in the Med have started moving towards the Strait. Umbrella Project activated, all phases. Citizens in major population centers have been instructed to move to marked hard zones. Nuclear first strike policy not in effect, though SDI is up and active. All internet access in and out of the country has been stopped.

"Where is the Anti-Borghese criticism now? Had people let him rule the country, Italy would have remained neutral. Indefinitely. Now, the savior system has ellected a Non-Italian politician to rule Italy who has tossed the land into conflict."

"Except that the elected Italians who comprise the rest of the government agree with this decision. Good try though, I'll await your next one."

"I can keep trying: Italy is torn in half. Now we have two Italies, one of which is belligerent, and ruled by a foreigner, instead of one isolationist Italy."

--------

Private: "Too bad we have no means of getting to Italy..."

"And the Italy to the south has already pledged their support to us. So in reality we have one, united Italy in this conflict. As always, good try though."

We find it funny that this particular person, Tom Dobbs, would declare on us, because we are simply doing what he once did.

**Classified**

Navy deployed to defend Valencian waters. Any ship belonging to the Italian Federation would be fired upon. The ships would gather at Valencia's southern water border and at Valencia's northern water border, as they do not expect any Italian ships to come through Molakian water.

As fighting is currently taking place near the strait, a majority of them were moved to the southern water border.

OOC: Let's have fun Pravus, I don't want this to be ruined with any arguments that we may have. :ph34r:

**Classified, Diamond members**

With the outbreak of war, the entire Home Fleet was diverted from its' patrol patterns to the Azores in anticipation of defending Imperial interests. Once more the Empire was preparing for a conflict it did not wish for but would see to the end. In the meantime, Battlefleet Pacific would divide itself between the Atlantic and Pacific in order to watch for home defense.

Battlefleet Azores was thus brought up to strength listed for convenience;

7 Aircraft Carriers (HAS 'Imperial Revenant', 'Resplendent Glory', 'Reconciled Superiority', 'United America', 'Zealous Persecution', 'Triumphant New World', 'Holy Testament'[/i])

8 Battleships (HAS 'Central', 'Phoenicia', 'Costa Rica', 'Brazil', 'Peru', 'Puerto Rico', 'Falklands', 'Guyana')

2 Dreadnoughts (HAS 'Trinidad', 'Antilles')

7 Attack Submarine Squadrons

10 Frigates

5 Destroyers

8 Cruisers

4 Corvettes

All ships were at full capacity concerning armaments, and the coastal defense systems rushed into completion around the Azores were brought online and began scanning the ocean and skies surrounding the assembled fleet. The fleet seen from orbit was a massive thing; the two Dreadnought class ships dominating the formation with their massive guns and huge batteries of missiles.

Each of the goliath ships had the capability of launching literal hundreds of missiles at once; the Battleships and Carriers dozens. The flotilla would literally overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers of hypersonic warheads supported with chaff and electronic countermeasures which would fight tooth and nail to deny any sort of targeting lock.

A Combat Air Patrol of ten squadrons took off and patrolled the approaches to the Azores at a 50 mile radius. They were waiting for any preemptive attack on the fleet, and co-ordinated their search with controllers for radar and SOSUS stations.