Mergers

Stormcrow

After careful consideration, mergers are back on the table. Although fine-tuning is still going on, the basic rule of thumb is:

1. No roleplaying another person's military

2. Can't kill of their players.

3. Can't end their countries (as in destroy them)

4. Have either a historic, logical, regional, or very well roleplayed reason to them.

There you go kids, have fun, DON'T ACT THE FOOL AND GET IT TAKEN AGAIN.

That is all.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So, as I wont to do, i feel like expanding these rules.

1. No roleplaying another person's military

2. Can't kill of their players.

3. Can't end their countries (as in destroy them)

4. Have either a historic, logical, regional, or very well roleplayed reason to them.

The background to merged nations is that a area previously governed come under a single federal government system. However, each province (player) does not get any straight benefit. But due to the overarching governance, several follow-on benefits occur.

1. Provinces have independent military.

RP: Each province has its own standing military forces, which are commanded by local regional commanders. OOC: The merged nation has an army, however, each player must post any and all movements / actions for military stemming from their province.

1.1 Merged nations are at the same TE.

RP: Spreading of standardized designs allows uniform military ability, however, less developed provinces will see a drop in production / increase in maintenance costs. OOC: Each player can optionally use the TE of the most developed nation, subject to the Technological Trade limiters* representing the difficulty in importing / using / building / maintaining these advanced designs. Standard does not mean easy.

* #Advanced Items =#Buyer Items IG* (Buyer TE / Seller TE)

2. Merged nations can only destroy another players nation with their permission. Simple power limiter.

3. If a player leaves RP / is purged, then the merged nation looses the abilities of that nation.

4. Mergers and each addition to a merger should have a simple GM void ability if the RP of the background / reasons are not good enough.

All mergers will be looked on and everything will be examined by a mod. Consider this your trial period. Additionally, the larger the merger the more likely it is that a mod (like myself, Stormcrow or HK) will say no to it.

Additionally, I'm working on stuff for standardizations.

4. Mergers and each addition to a merger should have a simple GM void ability if the RP of the background / reasons are not good enough.

(because I can double-post :awesome: )

Agreed and given - but pass all your decisions by a mod through PM, preferably to both Stormcrow and I.

Well the first was the most predictable, and in fact the best example of doing it wrong in my eyes.

There was no background RP to merging, nor was there any logical / cultural or any reason to merge apart form OOC "we are german, lets merge".

The post was nothing more than an announcement of merger, and the rest of it was a simple layout of the specifics.

Well the first was the most predictable, and in fact the best example of doing it wrong in my eyes.

There was no background RP to merging, nor was there any logical / cultural or any reason to merge apart form OOC "we are german, lets merge".

The post was nothing more than an announcement of merger, and the rest of it was a simple layout of the specifics.

I agree that there was no lead-up to it. Simply the announcement that mergers were acceptable, then a little while later, the same day, it's announced. culterally, I do think they had some reason, but as stated before, it would be better if it were RP'd out a little more.

LVN, are you kidding me? No background? Alright, we started off on friendly terms after the Gebiv-Germany war, and then Nordheim came about, and Prussia proposed the Nordic Confederacy. We were just a collection of states that essentially shared the same leader, military knowledge, and technology. Then, we became like brotherly nations, and decided to form one nation because of our very, very close relations. You're telling me that's not enough of a background? What are you looking for in a background then?

First there was "The American Confederacy" under the Articles of Confederation....then they signed a Constitution and it became a full nation.

First there was "The Nordic Confederacy" under an Articles of Confederation...then we signed a Constitution and we became a full nation.

LVN, are you kidding me? No background? Alright, we started off on friendly terms after the Gebiv-Germany war, and then Nordheim came about, and Prussia proposed the Nordic Confederacy. We were just a collection of states that essentially shared the same leader, military knowledge, and technology. Then, we became like brotherly nations, and decided to form one nation because of our very, very close relations. You're telling me that's not enough of a background? What are you looking for in a background then?

First there was "The American Confederacy" under the Articles of Confederation....then they signed a Constitution and it became a full nation.

First there was "The Nordic Confederacy" under an Articles of Confederation...then we signed a Constitution and we became a full nation.

You were on friendly terms. Then with no RP you were one nation. RP'ing merge background includes things like discussions on mergers, and all the nice little detail items which give RP depth, like news reports about how your people feel etc.

Its as if PP just merged. Same sort of relationship, close physical proximity, and shared cultures. It would be just as unacceptable.

You were on friendly terms. Then with no RP you were one nation. RP'ing merge background includes things like discussions on mergers, and all the nice little detail items which give RP depth, like news reports about how your people feel etc.

Its as if PP just merged. Same sort of relationship, close physical proximity, and shared cultures. It would be just as unacceptable.

Indeed. None of that was stated as a pre-cursor to merging. You should have had the discussions in a thread where everyone could read them, but classified, so no one could act on them without metagaming.

Right, I've been RPing common cultures and increasing pan-germanism and the development of nordlandic identity for like, 3 RL years. That's some background alright.

But nothing that even hinted at actually merging into one nation.

Friendly terms--check.

Common culture--check.

Lead-up--no check (whoops?)

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Just on friendly terms? We had an MADP, were united under one leader, and shared pretty much everything. Things stopped being the German space program or the Dutch bank, they became the Nordic Space Program and the NordlandHauptBank.

Just on friendly terms? We had an MADP, were united under one leader, and shared pretty much everything. Things stopped being the German space program or the Dutch bank, they became the Nordic Space Program and the NordlandHauptBank.

And you simply ignored the rest of what he had to say. Treaties and common culture alone do not a merger make.

You have to have long, serious discussions about things like this.

For nearly 4 months we functioned as the same nation. We moved as one in military force, we had the same face in foreign affairs, and our economies were more intertwined than any in history, and our nation's histories have been established through three years of RP from KM (most of the new Nordland was part of old Nordland).

If there isn't any backing, I don't know what backing is.

And you simply ignored the rest of what he had to say. Treaties and common culture alone do not a merger make.

You have to have long, serious discussions about things like this.

Oh yeah, like long and serious discussions ever happen before something. The comintern alliance never had a long and serious IC discussion, they just one day formed an alliance. Most all of the treaties aren't RPed more than ours was.

To those claiming common culture, remember, half your nations have rerolled since that last merger, and most of them have since the first one. Although you did work together on projects, you have to put RP effort into the actual merger bit of things. Read what Subtle has to say.

Oh yeah, like long and serious discussions ever happen before something. The comintern alliance never had a long and serious IC discussion, they just one day formed an alliance. Most all of the treaties aren't RPed more than ours was.

Treaties =/= Mergers. Treaties are bits of paper. Merges are RP effecting items. They are different leagues.

For nearly 4 months we functioned as the same nation. We moved as one in military force, we had the same face in foreign affairs, and our economies were more intertwined than any in history, and our nation's histories have been established through three years of RP from KM (most of the new Nordland was part of old Nordland).

If there isn't any backing, I don't know what backing is.

But no actual discussions that we could see.

Aha, you name the difference in your post. the ComIntern is an Alliance with a treaty. You have just merged into a single nation with a contitution.

See the difference?

History isn't whitewashed after a reroll, it remains in history books even if we're not the same nations, Germany is always Germany for one as the clearest example, so what's done before still is valid historically.

Also, we're the people who've RPed the closest in all of CNRP for the longest time and one of the few who RPed a lot of culture, so if we can't merge, it'd be like saying no nation in the world is able to merge.