Bohemian Trumpets Sound

Sigurd Odinnson

There was a light wind rustling through the small Bohemian town of Gitschen. Friedland had not had a ruler since its founder, Duke Albrecht von Wallenstein, had been assassinated almost five hundred years ago. Now, his descendant, King Sigurd von Waldstein stood on the balcony of the Palace of Waldstein in Central Gitschen, once the capital of the lands granted to Wallenstein by his sovereign. Before him in the great stone church, so recently completed, the people of his new domain, peasants, labourers, petty landowners and greater knights filled the sanctuary, wrapping around the pillars like so much undergrowth about the thick trunk of an oak. He stood before them, their new ruler, their king, bedecked in all his royal glory; the white fur of his cloak shone brilliantly as the midday sun broke through the windows of the church, the glimmering gold of the crown, the orb of power, and royal sceptre of Friedland seemed to glow with reborn power, placed so neatly upon the velvet where they rested, awaiting their placement.

First, the drums of the small orchestra assembled in the choir announced that the coronation would begin; the Bishop stood, then the young King, and as trumpets rose is triumphal call, the congregation joined them. Ferdinand had chosen the [i]Te Deum[/i] to mark the climax of his Coronation Mass, and in honour of the age in which his great ancestor had lived and ruled, it was Charpentier’s setting he chose. No more regal tones existed. The choir soon joined, as the trumpets disappeared into the rising strings. The congregation remained standing, holding themselves proudly, peasant and knight, rejoicing both in their God and in their new King.

As the music came to its crescendo and calmed, the Bishop stepped forward and once again extended the blessing of the Cross upon the people and turned and offered his blessing upon the new King. Two priests approached as they lifted the pillows upon which the three symbols of new power rested. The King was bid to take his throne and as he sat, the congregation knelt in perfect unison. The crown rose to the blare of trumpets and descended from the Bishop’s hands onto the head of the new King, and as he took up the sceptre in his right hand and the Orb in his left, he ceased to be Sigurd von Waldstein and was born anew, not petty Lord or Baron or Duke, but [i]King[/i]—Sigismund I, by the Grace of God King of Friedland, Duke of Mecklenberg and Inner Pomerania, Baron of Gitschen, Prague, Griefswald, and Rostock, Lord-protector of the Free City of Stralsund, and Defender of the Faith.

The Coronation concluded with a blessing that was barely finished before the nave of the church erupted in joyous shouts that seemed to pierce well beyond the high vaulted ceiling. As the recessional sounded, it was the King who would exit last, though the Bishop had preceded him entering. He was met with the cheers of his new subjects, but his thoughts were on the fulfilment of his family’s half-millennium dream of once again gaining prominence in these lands, which he had achieved beyond their most implausible dreams. His domain stretched the length and breadth of what was once Bohemia, the largest portion of the lands of the Crown of St. Wenceslaus, and he had even gained significant portions of his famous ancestor’s former lands in Mecklenberg, as well as a portion of Inner Pomerania, with two sizable ports to make way for Albrecht von Wallenstein’s dream of a great Baltic Navy.

The Kingdom of Friedland hereby declares its independence from the Union of Slavic Republics in peace and friendship, and claims from Germany the ports of Rostock, Stralsund, and inland cities of Griefswald, Damgarten, Demmin, Gustrow, Tribsees, Bergen, Sassnitz, Wolgast, Schwann, and all surrounding lands in this vicinity, which shall depart from Germany in good faith and friendship.

[quote][b]Treaty of Friendship and Mutual Defence
Between the King of Friedland, Sigismund I, and the Government of the Union of Slavic Republics[/b]

Article I.
The Kingdom of Friedland and the people of the Union of Slavic Republics do hereby recognise full sovereignty of the other over their claimed territory and all people, industry, and properties civil and ecclesial within their realms.

Article II.
1. The Kingdom of Friedland hereby declares a state of peace, friendship, and cooperation in matters military and economic between the states of the Kingdom of Friedland and the Slavic Federation.

2. The Union of Slavic Republics hereby recognises a state of military cooperation with the Kingdom of Friedland, and promises military and economic aid for all operations undertaken, defensive and offensive, insofar as those operations are not undertaken against the allies or interests of the Slavic Federation.

3. The Kingdom of Friedland likewise offers full military and economic aid to the Union of Slavic Republics in all operations undertaken, defensive and offensive, insofar as those operations are not undertaken against the allies or interests of the King of Friedland

Article III.
This Treaty of Friendship shall be of undefined duration, liable to cancellation, amendment, or abridgement at any point with the expressed agreement of both parties together.

Article IV.
No actions of either party may be taken up that jeopardise the peace and friendship herein established between them, nor shall the respective parties undertake any form of military action against the other, lest this Treaty be deemed null and void, with all benefits and agreements terminated.

In witness whereof we affix our names hereunto in the Sight of God this Twelfth Day of August in the Year of Our Lord 2010.

For the Kingdom of Friedland,
[img]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/Odinnson_NoR/SigismundI.png[/img]
(bearing also the name Sigurd von Waldstein)

For the Union of Slavic Republics
[i]Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Congress of Slavic People's Deputies
[b]Michael Visari[/b]

Chairman of the Council of Ministers
[b]James Drake II[/b][/i] [/quote]

The Music featured:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKJoSCGy-FI"][i]Te Deum Laudamus[/i] 1st Mvmt.[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCieQ9gUYo"][i]Te Deum Laudamus[/i] 2nd Mvmt.[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQvbpi_XoLU"][i]Te Deum Laudamus[/i] 3rd Mvmt.[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_2fm1l0pY"][i]Te Deum Laudamus[/i] 4th Mvmt.[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0uHV3FPgs"]Recessional[/url]

Edited by Sigurd Odinnson

We welcome this new nation to the world stage and wish it the best of luck in all future endeavors.

[i]Signed for the Union of Slavic Republics,

Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Congress of Slavic People's Deputies
Michael Visari

Chairman of the Council of Ministers
James Drake II[/i]

Edited by Malatose

"Germany recognizes the independence of this new Nation and guarantees its sovereignty. Welcome to the world scene, regards from Berlin. We will make an Embassy available to you at Berlin, for there's much to be discussed when the war is done. It will be close by the Gothic Embassy too. This is a day in which Europe becomes indeed richer by having more voices and identities."

His Majesty King Sigismund I sends heartfelt thanks to Germany for the recognition of His Majesty's claims. An ambassador shall arrive in Berlin posthaste to take control of the embassy. Germany may expect the establishment of an embassy in close vicinity to the Wallenstein Palace in Gitschen. Likewise, the Gotische Reich may expect an embassy established in Gitschen as well. Both shall be near the embassy of the Union of Slavic Republics, that the three neighbouring nations of the Kingdom of Friedland may themselves enjoy a diplomatic centre where all four of our great nations may cultivate good relations.

"The Gothisches Reich recognizes the independence of Friedland. If the King wishes, he can send an ambassador to Innsbruck where we will establish an embassy for his nation. The embassy shall be in the Central Europe block, about 2 miles from the center of the city where the capitol building is."

His Majesty King Sigismund shall appoint an ambassador posthaste to journey to Innsbruck, in the hopes of pursuing close relations with the Gotisches Reich. The Kingdom of Friedland would like in particular to pursue close trade relations and exchange of intelligence information to build better relations between our two young nations.

[b]In Prague[/b]

As the Delaware delegation's plane approached they saw on the tarmac a small convoys of armoured personelle carriers and black Mercedes C-class Sedans awaited the landing. As the plane came in, the cars started their engines in unison.

John Read stepped off the plane. He was greeted by a tall, dark-haired man in a plain dust-brown uniform, extraordinary only in its black Sam Browne and perfectly shined jackboots. He accent was thick as he greeted the diplomat, his Czech blood clear in his speech.

"Herr Read, welcome to Prague. If you will follow me, we will drive you to the Hradceny, where the Minister of Foreign Affairs awaits to discuss matters of state."

[b]In Berlin[/b]

His Excellency Jan Smiřický, now assigned as Ambassador to Germany, gazed out the window of his government jet, an adapted Airbus 319. One of his aides handed the ambassador a small glass of red wine to steady his nerves. Flight always upset him. Normally he refused to even step on a tarmac, but with orders from his King he had no choice. King Sigismund was absolute in his rule; there was no room for questioning-- not even in his own family, a part of which Smiřický soon hoped to be a part with his approaching marriage to Anna Maria von Waldstein.

The plane landed with all the typical roughness the ambassador hated in air travel, and he stepped off to greet the car that was waiting for him at [i]Berlin Flughafen[/i].

Edited by Sigurd Odinnson

[quote name='kitex' timestamp='1281721950' post='2414533']
"Blue Heaven recognizes the Kingdom of Friedland and wishes them peace and prosperity."

-Lila Nevak (Blue Heaven Prime Minister)
[/quote]

The Kingdom of Friedland offers hearty thanks and invites Blue Heaven to open an embassy in our Capital City of Gitschen.