Question about Tech Trades

iamthey

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jesus Cochin, this is clearly up for discussion. I had a different interpretation. Maybe you should step away from this game for a bit. I've been able to have perfectly civil chats with Keshav figuring out the rules to our fight, and you go in and start throwing in personal attacks and freak out. FFS just chill.

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='27 June 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1277662611' post='2352050']
In addition, I think there should not be a backdoor to this amendment to the tech sharing rule:

A 10k tech nation buying 1k tech machines does not get to go over the set limit for RP airforces/tanks/etc. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

But-but- they would have greater resources and they would be able to maintain them more easily as they were from a lower TE :v:.

[quote name='iamthey' date='27 June 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1277671642' post='2352154']
But-but- they would have greater resources and they would be able to maintain them more easily as they were from a lower TE :v:.
[/quote]
And it allows players to prove that quantity, is quality. Imagine a leader's look when his or her country equipped with about 3k of highly advanced tanks and 120 squadron of 6th generation aircraft attack a defending country that has 30k of WWII tanks and 1.2k squadrons of propeller powered aircraft.

Edited by HHAYD

If they are not willing to play fair and RP a larger army for their lower TE equipment, then they should just have to take the military units with their own 10k Tech advantage. :3

If I am going to outsource anything in terms of technology.. I'm going to outsource it and let the people who know how to maintain it do so. I also am going to assume that I cannot afford a huge number if the technology is vastly superior. I might even go to calculate what my rough yearly GDP is and work with the person I'm doing the trading with to factor out how much I might be able to realistically purchase. That said, I'd NEVER completely replace my air forces, army, or navy (if I had one) with an outsourced military as that is just asking to have your national security destroyed.

There's also going to be some RP around adapting the technology and training units to understand the new equipment. All of this is already being done as part of an RP I and Lynneth have about him helping with my Space Program and the non-conventional version of the Venture Star space vehicle. This doesn't fit either version 1 or 2, so I slotted it down as other.

Bottom line:

1. High tech to a low tech country is going to be quite expensive, but some will be able to afford it if their nations have strong economies.

2. Adjusting/limiting the number of aircraft you can have based on technology level is nonsensical, just keep a mix of high tech and older types. Stick to IG #s for your total aircraft count. Assume you just can't afford as many as the exceptional models.

3. A rule doesn't fit well to govern this system. That said, when it comes to combat or confrontation where this becomes a concern.. negotiation will be a necessity. Plus anyone touting a higher tech level than they have in a given area needs to be doing more than a 1-2 paragraph post rp on its implementation.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

I would also like to bring up research and development and maintenance are not the same thing. I would argue realistically that someone with 1k tech and 10k Infra has far better maintenance capacity than someone with 10k tech and 1 K infra.

[quote name='Triyun' date='27 June 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1277696007' post='2352422']
I would also like to bring up research and development and maintenance are not the same thing. I would argue realistically that someone with 1k tech and 10k Infra has far better maintenance capacity than someone with 10k tech and 1 K infra.
[/quote]
The 1k tech, 10k infra country would still have to spend extra time to train their pilots in using 10k tech aircraft and they may not have all of the necessary tools to maintain a 10k tech aircraft.

Suppose one of the aircrafts' computers constantly crash into BSOD. However, those poor technicians have no idea what to do since they had never seen such advanced OS and computer (go order a computer technician from the mid 1980's to fix your 2010 Win7 computer, lets see how well that works out) and are forced to reformat the aircraft's computers, which would take extra time and effort IF they even know how to properly reformat the computer. If reformatting doesn't fix the problem, then you will be forced to call the seller to send in their technicians to help and wait.

In fact, replacement parts might not be able to be produced by the 1k tech country, especially for electronic parts, and had to be shipped by the seller. This would become a serious problem if the shipment is delayed/stopped when the parts are needed or if the seller's country declares war on the buyer country.

Last of all, for the sake of realism, the second rule is needed to prevent players from knocking on Lyth's and Lavo's doors and demanding tech stuff and then unfairly dominating their opponents with artificially inflated tech.

If the first rule is to implemented, then all countries MUST have equal tech level to ensure that nobody dominates with artificial stats or a economic system must be implemented to make sure that nobody can spend multi-trillions on military without consequence (which would result in larger problems). Right now, by your interpretation of the rules, I can go around and march with 9k+ tech without any actual consequence.

Edited by HHAYD

Fair comments, discussion and input. As it seems fairly clear what the community supports, I'll adopt as well as enforce the second interpretation of the tech rule. :)

[quote]EXAMPLE
If you can have say, 1000 tanks IG at a TE of 1 (Ie you are a Modern nation) and you buy tanks from a First World nation with a TE of 1.3, you can have 1/1.3 * 1000 tanks = ~770 tanks[/quote]
^From the OP

The rule quite clearly says that option 2 is the rule, a nation that can have 1000 tanks IG at its tech level, if it were to purchase tanks from an advanced nation, it can have only 770 tanks. I will admit the rule as stated makes it difficult to have a mix of tanks from different tech levels, but what it is saying (rather clearly to me) is that by buying tanks from a different tech level you either increase or decrease the max number of tanks you can have.

To me, its fairly clear, but thats just me.