A Note of Dissatisfaction

Franklin

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jinnai' date='19 February 2010 - 07:13 PM' timestamp='1266624795' post='2192675']
VOC is their official abbreviation, whether you agree with it or not, it is how they want themselves represented when you abbreviate their name. Ignorance of the issue is one thing, but now that you know there's no reason for you to continue abbreviating them as EIC except for some petty form of stubbornness for having an abbreviation you don't agree with.
[/quote]

Now I'll just call them EIC out of spite.

[quote name='Jinnai' date='19 February 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1266624795' post='2192675']
VOC is their official abbreviation, whether you agree with it or not, it is how they want themselves represented when you abbreviate their name. Ignorance of the issue is one thing, but now that you know there's no reason for you to continue abbreviating them as EIC except for some petty form of stubbornness for having an abbreviation you don't agree with.
[/quote]

VOC is not an abbreviation of East India Company. EIC is.

VOC may be their preferred nickname, and I'm fine with that. But it's not an abbreviation of East India Company.

I've never heard of them before this thread, and don't really care. I'm not being stubborn, I'm pointing out that they are getting huffy at people for calling the East India Company EIC. It's an abbreviation. I don't type out New Pacific Order every time I mention NPO, or Independent Republic of Orange Nations every time I mention IRON. Neither does anyone else, because abbreviations are easier. And VOC, by definition, is not an abbreviation of East India Company. The VOC guys are the ones being stubborn and expecting everyone to know and use their nickname.

Edited by Baldr