A question about disease resistance for the GMs

I have put in my factbook that the Olympians in my country are immune to most bio-war agents due to them being the survivors of the biowar accident that devastated Neo Olympia.

As you may recall 98% of the population was killed off by a stray "Black Wind" missile launched by Glorious Artearoa and which wiped out New Taiwan a few months back that was accidental detonated.

These missiles contained a mixture of every known bio-war agents in existence.

And as we know every disease has survivors that are naturally immune and since the survivors from Neo Olympia were exposed to every disease that these weapons had and survived it is logical to assume that they did so because of a natural immunity/resistance.

Here is how disease resistance works in RL and I am using it as a guideline for this development.

Here is a short lesson in disease resistance for those of you unfamiliar with this concept.

When a disease strikes a population for the first time its effects are devastating and all the individuals without resistance quickly succumb to the effects of the disease, While a few individuals with natural resistance either are immune to the disease or only exhibit mild symptoms from the infection and acquire an immunity due to their bodies producing antibodies to combat the infection and the antibodies remain in the individuals system thereafter and grant varying degrees of immunity to that disease to the surviving individuals from the effected population. The latter case can also apply to the few statistical outliers in the non resistant population who by some miracle survive, but their immunity/resistance is acquired and not genetic and will not be passed on to their offspring.

So I chose an arbitrary small percentage of my original population (2% of 2000000 , 10000 individuals) to be the "lucky" few who survived the plague by this mechanism and form the core group for the re-founding of my new nation, These individuals are now an increasingly small minority of my population due to massive immigration from unaffected areas to repopulate the new nation.

So in practical in-game terms my nation will still be just as vulnerable to biological warfare attack as any other nation but a small core of the population will not be effected by bio-war agents due to their immunity. The immunity of the Olympians will only really be "flavour text" for my nation.

Would this bit of "flavour text" be an acceptable addition to the rules by the GMs and community since it is based on some pretty well established scientific principles.

EDIT- Stupid word filter. ($@tails such as Martinis are apparently banned here :lol: , I had to substitute the word mixture)

Edited by Prime minister Johns

From a medical standpoint, this is totally impossible. Not that SOME wouldn't be resistant to diseases and all, but bio agents are designed to mutate quickly, negating any possible aquired immunity benefits. Now, they may have resistance, but immunity...not quite

And as we know every disease has survivors that are naturally immune

This is not necessarily true. Many diseases have survivors who have no immunity transfered (to use a laymans term). A lot of times survivorship is due to drugs and simple luck, not any sort of superior genetic ability.

Not that I'm saying your idea is totally impossible. Implausible, yes, and some parts need some serious changes to be even slightly scientifically possible, but an interesting idea, certainly.

The issue with this that I see is that this is only good for your current generation. Children of parents who are immune to certain pathogens do not always carry the same immunity. In fact, an immunity to a virus like rabies or the measles is actually considered a genetic defect that is luck when it happens, not something that is passed down generation to generation. Also, I don't think anyone has the genetic engineering technology to make sure these traits are passed down.

Creative thinking, certainly, but it would only last for a short time, not be a permanent thing.

The issue with this that I see is that this is only good for your current generation. Children of parents who are immune to certain pathogens do not always carry the same immunity. In fact, an immunity to a virus like rabies or the measles is actually considered a genetic defect that is luck when it happens, not something that is passed down generation to generation. Also, I don't think anyone has the genetic engineering technology to make sure these traits are passed down.

Creative thinking, certainly, but it would only last for a short time, not be a permanent thing.

Form what I understand, that's actually the idea. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Form what I understand, that's actually the idea. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

*shrugs* If that is his idea, that this generation of survivors who are around right now are immune or whatever, then I am fine with it. As long as he realizes it will only be this part of his population and not everyone.

*shrugs* If that is his idea, that this generation of survivors who are around right now are immune or whatever, then I am fine with it. As long as he realizes it will only be this part of his population and not everyone.

Yeah, I think he does realize this, :P as the following paragraph atests to...

So in practical in-game terms my nation will still be just as vulnerable to biological warfare attack as any other nation but a small core of the population will not be effected by bio-war agents due to their immunity. The immunity of the Olympians will only really be "flavour text" for my nation.