1-800-MYSARAH

Sargun II

War in Mexico.

He knew it was coming. But this soon?

And there were a lot of fears. A troop build-up on the old Louisianian border. Lives at stake. And there was the whole thing about the one person he actually had human emotions about not talking to him. What did he do? What was the problem? He had fallen into a drunken, sad state reminiscent of the time when Sargun had been shot. That had been brutal. It still was brutal; nightmares, however, were worse. The only time he didn't have nightmares was when his mind was too fuzzy to give a !@#$ and make one. Those were the best nights. Tonight would not be a good night.

"Come on, Evan. Man up." A tall, stout black man with minimal hair and in a white tuxedo was lounging back on a La-Z-Boy, some unidentified substance in one hand and a beautiful woman in the other. "You haven't had a good night in weeks, just give it up. She's probably !@#$@#$ some African," he said with a self-referential chortle. The once-King of the Republic smiled and let his hand travel a little bit lower down her back.

"That's not funny, dude," Evan threw his empty glass at Sargun, who tightened his arm around the woman and stood up. "Aight son, I can see you'll be that way. Just.. call me when you're over her," Sargun sighed and walked out the door, closing it quietly behind him and the woman.

"!@#$@#$.. gah," he stood up and kicked his chair across the room, where it collapsed into a pile of worthless wood. With an ungrateful motion, he walked over to his phone and jammed in the numbers for the last phone he knew Sarah had. Damn security. "Answer it, goddamnit!" He yelled while it rang.

The divorce hadn't been messy, but it wasn't something to smile about either and the day that Larsa had come back to reclaim what was rightfully his in the Manor was very hard for her and ended up with yet another broken mirror on the floor. In truth, Sarah had lost much more than Larsa had, which rightfully so, she had been the one that had slept with the man outside of the marital boundaries. All in all, her rank and claim to any part of the Franzharian line was destroyed, she was considered discredited, dishonored, and surely in some close circles in Europe and throughout the world, a whore. But at the end of the day, she really didn't care what the world thought, or at least not anymore.

Sarah had had her nights of tears, of beating down pillows into the bed, of tearing herself apart about what people honestly thought about her socially. It was stupid, socially she wasn't a leader, socially she was only a young woman that was trying to break free from the binding culture of politics. That was the reason she had flirted with Evan at the cafe in Berlin, it was why she had traveled to Nova Scoita, it was way she slept with another man outside of her marriage. It was very wrong, extremely wrong, but honestly and truthfully, she didn't care anymore.

It was late when the phone rang, not horribly late, but the Manor illuminated a quaint beam from the outdoor gardens were the servants were still cleaning from a night time serenade. Sarah had left early, she was tired of being around the elites, she was tired of dressing up, and she was tired of being someone, who though she definitely was, she definitely didn't want to be. After getting to her room, she crawled into bed in junk clothes, they made her feel cozy as she shut of the light and tried to fall asleep. 10:30, eh who was she kidding, she was going to lay there all night.

When the phone rang, her eyes shot open, and her hand found the receiver as she brought it to her face. As she did, she heard a familiar voice on the other end and part of her wanted to hang up the phone again, while the other part was quietly elated. She met the mood half way. "Evan. Its late what do you want?"

"Late? It's late?"

Evan looked out the window. It was a little late; the sun wasn't out, but it wasn't yet midnight. Palau was a great place to vacation. "What do I want?" He quietly put his hand over his end of the phone and let out an enraged yell - at the same moment, thunder rocked his vacation house, blocking it out. "The last time we met in daylight you broke your leg; seems like whenever it's nighttime we have a better time." He mellowed a little bit. "I, uh.. is tonight bad? You sound tired," he said quietly. The rain outside intensified.

Inside of his head, he had a raging battle. One part of him wanted to slam the phone in frustration; after two months of complete silence, the first thing he hears is "It's late what do you want?" That nearly pushed him to the limit - his fist was still clenched. "I'll.. talk to you later. I guess."

He sounded a bit hurt and she immediately felt kind of bad after she had said it. Truthfully, yes, she did want to go to sleep, but Evan had been that escape route for her when things were bad. He had always come through for her and it really wasn't right to tell him off like she did. Not at least without some explanation. "No, no Evan its okay. I'm sorry, I've been having a rough few months. Tonight's not really bad." She sighed. "I've just been busy that's all....Larsa and I got divorced...so its been kind of tough, but you know me, I've always been able to get through !@#$ like that."

She smiled as she sat up in the bed, filling herself with a new energy as she wrapped the phone cord around her hands. Sarah couldn't help but laugh at the scenario, considering she had been in the same boat, ten or twelve years ago with boys from college and high school. Sitting on the bed in the middle of the night, sorting out problems about love, hate, and fear.

"You know I want to apologize, we haven't been able to hang out recently and I've missed that. I hope I didn't scare you away in Nova Scotia" She blushed. "But, its just been kind of hard recently. But I mean I'd be up for seeing you again for sure. But how have you been? What you been up to recently? How are things in Louisiana?"

"I don't.. it's not about hanging out, really. I've just not been able to see it from your side. You're.. nevermind, I'm about to ramble on about stuff I probably don't know. Things are going great here, if you count the total loss of political and military power by Louisiana to the United States because of the Tahoe conflict.. ah, it's pretty much in the !@#$ter. I think I almost tried to assault my best friend about two minutes ago," he said rather cheerfully, "but right now I don't really care. I'm in Palau on vacation, actually. But, uh, yeah. Do you think you could be ready to go about midnight? I've got a cool place to go to," he said with a grin on his end while he hurriedly changed his clothes.

She chuckled. "I thought it wasn't about hanging out. But, yeah I can be ready at midnight. I'll see you then." She hung up the phone and jumped out of her bed and looked out the window. The outdoor party was beginning to break apart and the government elites were beginning to head back to their respected houses as the Lillians were beginning to filter back into the Manor. It wasn't going to be exactly easy to get out of the Manor this late at night, but if she planned it right, like she used to when she was a kid, it couldn't be any worse than her father's babysitters, when she wanted to go out with boyfriends when she was in high school.

She changed her clothes, a pair of sneakers, pair of jeans, and t-shirt. Slowly going over towards the door, she opened it and glanced down the hall to make sure that there were no guards. Then she thought for a moment. Its not like the guards could do anything, they were her guards after all, so she jumped out from the room and ran down the hall like lightning towards the marble staircase at the end of the hall. She jumped on the handrail and slid down, with a huge smile on her face. She still only had the height of a teenager, and the weight of one as well, which was nice. Petite was always something to be proud of. Flinging open the door she ran out into the courtyard and down towards the gate. The guards immediately opened gate, happy almost only because she was smiling again. Something that she hadn't done in a long time. Then passing by the boundaries of her residence Sarah stopped. Now it was time to wait.

She collapsed on the side of the curb and looked up and down the street for Evan to arrive. By car, plane, helicopter, whatever. She just wanted to be taken away. Taken to some place cool.

Evan grinned as he turned the phone off and looked at the clock. He picked up the cell phone to call Robbie, and older Artemis engineer who happened to have one of the fastest planes in the world. The SR-71 Blackbird. From Palau to Brisbane was about.. 4300 kilometers, and with the Blackbird he could be there in three hours. By midnight he meant his midnight, which was one hour behind, so he'd be there on his time. Or something.

In any case, the flight was rather uneventful. Other than flying in a FREAKING SR-71 BLACKBIRD, the flight was uneventful. A FREAKING BLACKBIRD, I MUST ALWAYS BE FOUR THOUSAND KILOMETERS AWAY AT ALL TIMES MUST FLY THIS AGAIN OH MY GOD THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME

A few hours later, a surprisingly refreshed Evan Hiley, one of the richest men in the world and constantly on the run from American media, was dashing down the streets out of Brisbane. It took him a few moments - he didn't even know where he was looking - but when he saw the petite and oh-so-familiar body shape of Sarah collapsed on the curb, he rushed over and collapsed right next to her, his chest constricted from running three dozen blocks. "You know," he said between breaths, "I flied in quite possibly the world's most unstable plane for three hours to get here?" He grinned.

Patience as a virtue was always good to have, especially waiting for a date. But Sarah was okay with it, she had taken her time to get ready, even if coming out of the Manor itself was a bit rushed. But as she sat on the curb, her head tilted to the sky she could see the gray clouds mixing in with a clear navy blue night sky. The stars twinkled brightly and she was lost in a daze as she focused all her attention to the blinking spheres of gas that burned millions of miles away. Her focus was not taken away before she hurt the sounds of foot beats coming from down the street. Evan's shoes echoing off the asphalt of the street, as he slowed up the nearer he got to her and finally collapsed down next to her and stared.

"Well its about time."

"You know, I flied in quite possibly the world's most unstable plane for three hours to get here?" He grinned.

"Well then I can forgive you for that." She leaned over and smiled at him before kissing him on the cheek, blushed for a moment and then withdrew, still smiling like a little elementary school girl. "Its great to see you again Evan, its been forever." Her hand went down to take his. "I really did miss you. Even with all the Larsa stuff." She moved her hand away and played nervously with her fingers and took a deep breath as she pulled her hair away from her face. "I was kind of tough, but you know, as bad as this sounds, I don't regret that it happened. I wasn't ready for that kind of love. I was too young."

She smiled and showed him her hands. Her knuckles scarred. "I got those from punching the window." She smiled and then went back to hold his hand. "So what was the cool thing you wanted to show me?"

I'll show you some real love, he thought in the back of his head, chuckling like a teenager again in his mind. "First of all, that window's going to hell," he said in a serious voice. "Secondly, we're going to go on a very nice, relaxing flight back to Palau and you're going to have your heart explode with joy. I think it's cool, though. And my dudes. But, they're morons. So maybe it isn't cool. But it's awesome, in any case. And I put a lot of time into it, and it helps people. Well, yeah. I think you should see it rather than I explain it."

Evan grabbed her hand, kissed the scarred knuckles and gently - by gently I mean he scooped her up roughly, threw her in the air and plopped her back down into his arms - picked her up and started jogging back to the airport. All thirty-six blocks.

About nine years later (or fifteen minutes), they both arrived at the airport, sweaty and a bit rumpled. After bypassing a few raised eyebrows, he jumped through the metal detectors and ran up the stairs on the tarmac into the very nice private plane he had waiting for them. He always had a plane in Australia waiting for him - this was the first time he needed to use it. "I think it's time for us to relax while we make a very pleasant flight to Palau."

He grinned and laughed.

"Well just lead the way and I'm sure I'll love it." He bent down and kissed her hands and the next thing she knew was that she was in Evan's arms as he carried her, or ran her down the street back towards where the plane had been docked at the airport. They could have taken a car, it would have been much faster, but in all truth it didn't matter and she was happy being in his arms as she bounced softly, up and down with every foot beat against the smooth asphalt roads of the city.

There was something about night time that enchanted her, turned her into something other than herself, night flying was one of those things. Truth be told, Sarah enjoyed flying during the day for the sole purpose that she could sleep. She couldn't sleep at night, she would just sit and stare out the plane windows at the Earth below, at the fading lights coming from civilization, at the murky clouds that wafted above them and the pale stars that were above the clouds.

She sat in her chair next to the window with her chin on her hand and gazed out to the dark ocean below and the stars up above. "Thanks again Evan for taking me out tonight. Its been too hectic and I need the vacation, even if its just for the night." She stared back out into the sky. The stars catching the twinkling of her eyes, like oceanic gems. "And you're right about us and nighttime, we always have something to do when the sun goes down. But I like it that way. Its original and never came home at night when I was a kid. I was always out at this time. But I'm excited to get to Palau and see this surprise. Your surprises always turn out really interesting."

She chuckled and looked into his eyes. All she did was smile, her teeth barely visible behind her lips. But all she did was smile cause that's all she could do or think of doing. There was no need to be sad here, happiness was too right and too easy.

"It's worth it to see that smile," he replied warmly, his eyes attracted to the brightest spot of the plane. "I hope you don't like those clothes," he added, looking her up and down (though he didn't really need a reason to) and nodding. "We'll be getting a little messy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The flight to Palau took a few hours, and by the time they had gone through old Artemis-based security measures that were still in place on the island the sun was just barely beginning to rise. Evan gave himself a quick break to drink a large pitcher of coffee while offering her some. His hands were a bit shaky and he ended up coughing once, spraying a mouthful into the ocean, but in the end he had enough energy pumping through his veins for the both of them. The first rays of the sun were creeping out over the horizon, so he looked down at his ridiculously cheap watch and smiled. "Alright, come on," he said in a low voice - although there was nobody there to hear it.

He walked her across the island, most of which was deserted at this point. There were a few cars packed full of children heading in the direction they were - and every time they passed one of them, he smiled. "Almost there," he muttered every time they were passed. After a few minutes of walking - and the sun coming up - they finally arrived at an open-sky stadium where cars were packed and armed guards were hidden in the trees. The voices of children could easily be heard.

"This was the last thing I ever did for Palau before I had to leave. I really hope you like it," he said as he walked up to the ticket booth. "Two Artemis Suite tickets, aight?" He was given two tickets and two paintbrushes. He grinned and handed one of each to Sarah.

The sun was beginning to rise as they touched down in Palau, while the sun began to rise over the eastern ocean. It was breathtaking to say the least. Slowly at first with small rays of red shining the sky and then the entire Pacific seemed to be coated in a gloss of red, orange, and yellow. When Sarah jumped down from the landing, after a few hours of much needed sleep, she could barely contain herself and grinned as she watched and grabbed on to Evan's arm. "Its wonderful." But as he continued to walk, she knew that there was more to see on the island.

He led her across the abandoned roads of Palau, broken asphalt surrounded by bright palm trees all beginning to stretch their branches in the morning dew and fog that was rushing over the island. The children surprised her, buses full of their happy smiling faces, she couldn't help but smile, but she was so confused. Finally arriving, the stadium lunched out in front of her and she was even more confused at seeing the buses entering.

Then taking the paint bush she could only smile up at Evan and laugh. "This is some surprise. What is this? Where are we?"

"What is this? Where are we?"

"You'll find out soon enough, and this is Ares Stadium. One of the largest stadiums that we built," he said with a happy tone to his voice. "Alright, before we get to the main event we'll be sitting front-row at one of the most deliciously cute plays I've ever had the pride to finance." Evan's grin was wider than the distance from the Sun to Pluto as he took her hand and led her through a series of twisted hallways designed to comfort the curiosity of children. It was a bit of a hassle for adults, but Evan's energy wouldn't be paved off. He eventually found the door that said 'Enter', kicked it open forcefully and walked into a large - very large - stadium with over a hundred thousand empty seats facing them. As they walked in, enormous curtains were falling to block out the seats and give the illusion that they were in a pit. At the same time, the retractable roof of the stadium was closing, about to engulf them in pitch black.

Thankfully, their seats were only a short walk forward, and they reached them before the roof closed. When total darkness came, he quickly reached under his seat and pulled out two porcelain masks. He smiled to himself when he put them in his lap, then looked up at a stage that was in the middle of the stadium. The stage was facing about three thousand people in chairs - Sarah and Evan in the front row. As lights came on focusing on the stage, a band of children marched onto it in elaborate costumes and others more serious, and the applause started.

"I do hope they keep the forklift resonator."

Evan led Sarah down through the stadium towards their seats. Ares reminded her of the ancient amphitheaters in Rome and Greece, it had the feel of it, even with the modern trappings. As the roof began to close and the dark enveloped the stadium, Sarah could only look around anxiously as the play began to begin. She saw Evan reach down for something, but really paid no attention to it as the children came out onto the stage in the costumes. She smiled and applauded with the audience.

"Evan, this is awesome. A play. I'm touched." She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "What is it?"

"If I knew the name of the play I probably would tell you," he replied back, grinning in the darkness. The children started singing quite horribly (ever tried to sing a british song in an american accent while being from the pacific islands?) but it came out even better because of it, and they did some strange dance that involved a toaster flying across the sea to save the breadsticks. Or some crazy !@#$, because Evan couldn't follow half of it because of how random it was. He was giggling half the time, though, quite evidently enjoying this brief insanity.

And then it came time for the surprise.

Once the children left, a bunch of adults in stereotypical costumes came on. The butler, the maid, the rich-$@! baron, the angsty teenager, and Harry Potter were among the cast members. In the center of the stage was a man lying dead (pretending to, actually) and the maid clasped her hand over her mouth and fainted. The butler muttered something about being underpaid, and Harry Potter shouted "AVADA KEDABRA" and flung himself off the stage.

After a few more moments, the rich-$@! baron stepped up and yelled, "Who dares step into my home to help me find the killer?!" To the audience.

"Oh its a participation play!" She turned to Evan. "You know we have to be apart of it." Though deep down inside, she was a little nervous. Sarah always stood in front of large audiences, but technically she was forced to and this had just crept up upon them. She grabbed Evan's hand and held it tightly then whispering in his ear she smiled. "Evan, volunteer us. I'm to nervous to go up there by myself. C'mon please."

She sat forward in her seat and chuckled slightly. "C'mon I'm not good with just dashing out in front of crowds at random, unless I'm in the mood. I wasn't ready for this. Please, you go first." She said trying to pull him up from the seat.

"You, the Goddess of the Entire World, is afraid of dashing out in front of crowds at random? Good God, woman," he said sarcastically with a big-$@! grin. "Aight, hold on," he muttered.

"Is nobody too afraid to ste--"

"HEY, LARDY!" He could hear the laughter of the children as he stepped forward, and the man took it in stride. "I know who did it. It was definitely that portobello mushroom swissburger."

"Portobello mushroom swissburger?"

"THE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SWISSBURGER!" He declared, and even though he didn't know where they were he could definitely hear the children laughing and giggling as he stepped forward in an overly-brave, almost superhero-like motion. "And I'll prove it, my good man! Let us go, fair lady - and to protect our identities from the portobello mushroom swissburger, we shall wear these MASKS!" He pulled out a porcelain mask and placed it over Sarah's face, tying a string around her head and letting it rest gently over her ears. He placed his own mask over his face, grabbed Sarah's hand and walked up onto the stage.

"YOU WILL MEET YOUR END!" More giggling - he was enjoying this.

She screamed in joy as he yanked her out of her seat and on to the stage. The adrenaline immediately began to pump through her veins as she stared at the darkened audience around her while only the Baron was really lit up. The mask too had shocked her, but this made the anxiety wear off almost instantly. Now she was just a character without a face and she could act as crazy as she wanted to, which for Sarah in these conditions, once pushed, wasn't extremely hard to do. As Evan jumped his way up and put himself near the Baron, Sarah assumed the role.

She jumped in between them and held out her arms. "No gentleman please! You can't you can't fight over this! We have to find the murderer, then you can kill each other. Unless of course it was one of you two?"

Sarah walked up towards the stage and bowed. "Do any of you know anything? Do any of you know who might have killed that man?"

"After that scream a minute ago I think I'm deaf!" He yelled out, to more giggling. He was really doing this for the children - and Sarah. Well, he wasn't doing i-- nevermind. Point being that he's doing it, right? No matter the inspiration... right?

Get back to acting, Evan!

"He was stabbed! Who here works with pointy objects, hmm? A-HMM?"

"I'm a butcher."

"I'm a clipper."

"I'm a letter opener!" Harry Potter screamed while holding up a letter opener. The giggles turned into laughter. "Whoopee!"

Evan gave a quick laugh and snatched the letter opener. "Wingardium Leviosa this!"

"This might take a while," the rich lord muttered to Sarah, although everyone could hear it thanks to the stadium's design.

Sarah covered the eye holes of the mask with her hand and shook her head. Well at least she was laughing, but truthfully she didn't understand anything that was going on in the theater or with the play. A Harry Potter character in the middle of a murder mystery? Strange, extremely strange, but I mean what could you do.

"He was stabbed with a letter opener? Good grief." Sarah thought for a minute. "Well if Harry Potter had the letter opener, didn't that mean he probably killed the guy? Unless of course he found the letter opener. Which in that case, I'm sure our esteemed guest could point us in the right direction of where to go. Right? Right?"

Of course Sarah was as confused as anyone right now. Sort of like going through the day in a strange daze where nothing really made sense. The perfect time to be an actor really.

Unfortunately, both Harry Potter and Evan were rolling on the floor pretending to beat each other. While Harry at the moment had the upper hand, Evan was still trying to avoid getting his mask broken by accidentally rolling over it. After Sarah called out "Right? Right?", they both stopped, looked at the letter opener and grabbed it. "Oh, no you don't!" Harry yelled, lunging a little to far and hitting a bookcase. It toppled over and created an explosion of dust - and when it cleared the butcher was gone.

"The butcher!" Evan and the rich old fart yelled at once - Evan got up and ran after him while the rich old fart started to run, stopped, and just panted with fake exhaustion. "I'm too rich to run," he muttered in a dignified tone. While he was doing that, the butcher was running up the stands to the lighting section. Really? The lights? Evan thought worriedly; and then he remembered he specifically outfitted there to be two vests that would allow them to "fly" with strings and levers and stuff. Grinning, he ran faster and stopped for a moment to put on the vest. The butcher winked at him and flew down, the cape attached to the vest billowing wildly. As he flew, so did Evan, his hands outstretched comically.

"Oho! Trying to catch the butcher, are ya?" He yelled out as he grabbed Sarah and hoisted her up in the air, coming to a hover about ten feet off the ground. His insanely strong butcher arms kept her supported, though Evan's face went crimson with rage for a moment. "You put her down!" He yelled, although at the last moment he realized it was part of the act. "Or I'll, I'll.." He flew away, grabbed a toaster, and went back in the 'sky'. "I'll toast your buns!"

The words, a cluster of confusion came into her mind as the butcher ran across the stage followed by Evan trying to catch him. Now everything seemed a little lost for her, normally plays had scripts, and rolls, and plot elements to it, this was just a free-for-all. Sarah was nearly in silent thought before she saw the butcher jump off the ladder and glide swiftly on the vest string attached to the ramparts above before she felt his arms around her waist and her body being lifting up into the air. He grabbed her with a thud and with the wind knocked out of her only for a second, the mask she was wearing was being held by nearly a thread.

Sarah screamed as she was being lifted off of the ground and into the air, it wasn't that she was that high up, though ten feet can be high enough to break a bone, especially one as frail as hers. It was that the suddenness of the thing. She pounded her fists over and over into the butcher's arms. "Let me go! Let me go!" She yelled while looking through the mask at Evan with a worried look on her face.