Seeing Red

***Secret***

The man didn't know how long he'd been chained here, in the dark. He didn't know the last time his captors had fed him, nor when they had last given him something to drink. All he knew was the steady drip, drip from the ceiling to the puddle on the floor six inces away from his feet, that and the pain that seemed to permeate every cell in his body. The pain reminded him he was still alive, that his captors still had not obtained the information they sought from him. That, at least, gave him a moment of bitter satisfaction. If he died, he'd take the secret they were desperately searching for to the grave. On the heels of that, reinforcing the need to keep it to himself, was that if he gave it up, more people would die. One person in particular who trusted him, above all others...

***One month earlier, during the rising tensions between the ComIntern and the Nordlandic Confederacy***

It started with murmurs, complaints from those losing their jobs. The economy was already starting to downshift. The Communist Party had slowly been gaining power with these dissatisfied workers, and not a few of those they would have been enemies with, the wealthy and powerful, werwe beginning to be swayed by the communist rhetoric. They were, by now, a force to be reckoned with in the political world.

Election campaigning was just beginning, but the rising star of the Communist Party could not decide on one clear candidate for the presidency. In an effort to bring about unity, the candidates met. it was not known what they discussed, but what was known was that the next morning, they were both dead, each from one, precisely-placed bullet to the head.

Murmers began to grow. To the people's knowledge, the only ones capable of pulling off such superb shots were military snipers, and mutterings within the Party began.

Things got worse when there was an attempt on the President's life. Someone put cyanide into his morning cup of coffee, and the only reason he survived the assassination attempt was due to his cat, who happened to try an sneak a few laps of the bitter liquid, and only moments later was dead. The whole affair was kept hush-hush, and it was at this point the borders were closed, and the whole Communist Party (as the prime suspects) was put under surveillance. Their activities were restricted, much to their annoyance and outrage.

-------------------------------

A week went by, and no leads from the investigation turned up. still, the surveillance continued. The President, however, decided enough was enough, and announced he was going to give a speech from Government House.

The communist party Members of Parliament silently protested by refusing to come, and a small number of other MP's had joined them. Approximately two-thirds of parliament were there the day of the speech.

By the time he'd arrived, the space outside was packed, with protesters and supporters in equal measure. The guards got out of the limo first, followed by the former marine himself. Slowly, he walked toward the building, past the crowd...when the world erupted in front of him. The blast vaporizing the center portions of the building, and threw debris in all directions. The crowd panicked, trying to flee, and at least as many were injured from trampling as were from the pieces of the building falling among them. All the president felt was the blast that knocked him off his feet, knocing his head to the pavement, and then he felt nothing at all...

OOC: All occurances in here are to be considered classified. However, should any of you choose to RP as any of my citizens reacting to this chain of events, by all means do so. But not at least until the next post. And no one but me is going to RP the perpetrators.

And OOC is ok.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: No interest? Hmm, my next post will have to be a little more provoking, apparently.

No, this does not count as the second post referred to in the OP. However, you guys are welcome to express OOC interest in RP'ing one of my citizens.

OOC: Well, I for one don't wanna clutter your thread...But a commie revolution or what?

Geez. You're the beacon of stability, this isn't supposed to happen with you. D=

OOC: Well, I for one don't wanna clutter your thread...But a commie revolution or what?

Geez. You're the beacon of stability, this isn't supposed to happen with you. D=

OOC: Well, time things got shook up. As for a commie revolution...it's not that simple. There might be one, but if so, it won't be the only thing that's happening... :D

And didn;t i say I don't mind OOC posts? ;)

OOC: I was interested, but I took your post as "wait until i post again before replying IC or OOC".

OOC: Nah, I merely meant hold the IC posts for when I make the next one.

OK, here we go...just remember that most of this is not being released to the public, and even public events are being hushed to a degree. The utmost effort is being put into keeping this all secret--and it's occuring while the borders are closed. Little communication is going on with the outside world, except by official government channels.

IC: Also just arriving when the blast took place were Georgina Gates and Richard Anderson, Lady of Foreign Affairs and Lord of Internal Affairs, respectively. Gates was close enough to be pelted by the debris, resulting in critical injuries. She, and President Jackson were both rushed to the hospital by the overworked emergency services, but they had little hope she would survive the injuries, and Jackson was deep in a coma he would not wake from.

Anderson was not injured, as he had still been in his car when the blast occured. However, he had his , who slumped in their seats. Before he knew what was happening, his door was yanked open, and he ad no chance to see who it was before a cloth covered his face. He smelled something peculiar, but could not discern it before his vision faded, and consciousness fled.

-----------------------------

The next day, emergency workers were still picking through the rubble, looking for survivors or, more likely, remains. To the public at large, it was announced that a major gas leak had led to an explosion when an unlnowing security guard had lit a cigarette too close to the source.

Only the police investigators knew it to be a bomb, they and the government officials who informed them to keep it under wraps for the time being.

OOC: OK, feel free to start posting now. Your character's story can begin at any point from the time of the assassination of the Communist candidates on. You can choose to be just about anyone, from the police investigators, to one of the Parliament members, from a government or emergency worker to a member of the communist party.

And yes, your characters can interact with each other.

OOC: Need some more to work with? I can do it on my own, but it'll be more fun with your participation.

IC: Anderson was gone 24 hours before his guards and driver were found dead. An investigation showed he had never returned to his home, to work, and neither were his remains in the capitol building. Of course, the public was told only that there had been some attack, and the President was hurt but still alive. Martial law was declared, and ambassadors were asked to remain in their embassies.

General Leonid Pushkin, the man in charge directly under Westly Davies, announced that "every lead concerning the explosion is being looked into, but all evidence points to an accident caused by a gas leak."

***Highly secret***

The man woke to a blinding light in his eyes, and a steady drip, drip, drip, of water. He could vaguely make out ta silhouette behind tyhe light, but there was no indication who it was.

Finally, they spoke, but it gave no clue either--it was muffled, masked. "Ah, you're awake. Good. That'll make it so much easier for you to tell me what I want to know..."

OOC: Truth be told, I would join in but I can't think of a good reason for an Alvonian citizen to be in Promised Land in the first place. That and my Strange Happenings RP is too fun. :v:

OOC: Dude, I gave you permission to RP as one of my citizens. ;) There wouldn't be foreign citzens here anyway, unless they are spies (who can hide their true origins) or diplomatic staff (who are being confined to their embassies). But if you want to Rp as one of those, nothing's stopping you. That is provided, of course, you have such a person in my nation.

OOC: Well, since no one seems to be willing to participate, I can suggest roles:

1. A cop that investigated the explosion, but has just been told by a government agent to keep to the cover story of it being an accident due to a gas leak

2. The government agent who has just told a cop to stick to the story. The agent is not sure why he/she was supposed to do this, but is still going to do his/her job.

3. A surviving Member of Parliament that is growing slowly alarmed at the chain of events, especially when Martial law is declared

4. A teenager in high school who happened to witness the bomb blast, and is physically unharmed...

These are just suggestions, and people are welcome to come up with their own, but if still no one takes an interest...oh well. *sighs*

IC: In the wake of the disaster, martial law was declared. A ten o'clock curfew was put into effect for all civilians. Despite all this, the government continued monitering outside events, and sent 300,000 troops out of the borders, to be used in case of a war between the ComIntern and the Nordlandic Confederacy. This still left half the military forces at home, which combined with the police, was adequate to keep order in the nation for the time being.

The public by and large believed the cover-up story of an accidental explosion, though they were still horrified that so many MP's could be killed in a single instant, and some questioned if it could really be an accident, considering the closed borders. This argument was often countered with the actual date of the closed borders...a week before the explosion. The curfew and martial law were also pointed too, and explained away by the fact that really, the only organization left functioning and capable of governing was the military.

There was still no communication with the outside except via official government channels, and any communications systems already in place in foreign embassies. The ambassadors of foreign nations one and all recieved 'requests' that were not really requests that they stay inside the boundaries of their embassies for their own safety, and so they would know little of what was going on.

Harrison Dodge threw his rucksack into the backseat and secured his rifle on the makeshift gun rack in the backseat of his open top jeep. He walked around the front of the car and hopped into the seat. The engine shakily revved as he moved the stick shift into first and started down the dusty outback road.

Dodge was a roughly handsome man. He had rather long hair, over which he wore an Australian-style cowboy hat with a full, yet short beard. His blue eyes surveyed the boring, ever-similar terrain from behind his aviators as he made his way home from supper after a day of hunting.

Upon arriving at his self-built cabin, he reclaimed his gun and backpack from the backseat and marched inside, leaning the rifle against the wall next to the door and tossing the backpack onto the couch in the first room. He had done a good job building his home, it was very nice for an outback cabin.

As he made his way into the kitchen his wife, Addison Dodge, undoubtedly the lovliest woman living in the desert, stepped into the threshold wearing her apron and oven mitts. "Ah, Harry, just in time! Dinner's almost ready. We can sit down and watch the news."

Harry, only Addison was allowed to call him that. He took off his hat, walked up to her and hugged her from behind. In his thick accent, he spoke to her, "How's my Queen of the Outback this evening?"

She chuckled as she continued minding the meat in the skillet before her, "I'm fine darling. Why don't you get some plates, hmm?"

He smiled, "Alright." He moved her long, brown hair aside to give her a peck on the back of the neck and then went to fetch the dinnerware from the cupboard, moving it to the coffee table in the livingroom.

"Dinner's ready!" Addison proclaimed as she brought out the serving dishes. The two served themselves and sat down, turning on the TV. What they saw shocked them. A reporter stood in front of a ruined Parliament building in the Capital, as firecrews and police officers milled around behind him in the still smoldering ruins.

"This is a special report by Christian Jackson. Today, the world of the Promised Land was rocked, as a gas leak caused a massive explosion, right here at Parliament. The President was giving a speech right at the time of the incident. No official casualty figures have been released, and search efforts for survivors in the rubble are ongoing. We have been assured that this was in fact an innocent gas leak and no foul play was involved. Stay tuned as PLNBC continues to report."

Addison's jaw dropped a little over the course of the news report as Harrison got up, reloaded his gun, set the safety to off and then sat back down.

"Can you believe that, Harry? That could have killed half our government or more for all we know!"

"Yeah, it could have. The innocent part though, I'm not so sure of that."

"What do you mean darling?"

Harrison paused, "Nothing. Let's just keep an eye on it for the next couple of days. I think there may be something else there."

OOC: Correct me if I have any details incorrect. This is a really fun RP.

Edited by Cody Seb

Today she was going to meet the so-called vanguard of the revolution, Red Army... Red Brigade… Red Cell… Red Dawn… Red Faction? It was Red something or another, it was another group of self-styled communist insurrectionists. Allegedly the liaison from another faction of communist guerillas Sasha was going to transform these inexperienced troublemakers into the scourge of the Promised Land. Sasha might not actually be a communist rebel, but she had plenty of experience in unconventional warfare – as much as any Dark Hand operative.

With Justinian removed from play few threats remained for the Dark Hand, destabilizing a government of potential Slavorussian sympathizers would further the organization’s current agenda. Having lost her previous cell in a firefight with SWORD agents Sasha didn’t care about the politics, she just wanted to see Promised Land burn.

Edited by Generalissimo

Harrison Dodge threw his rucksack into the backseat and secured his rifle on the makeshift gun rack in the backseat of his open top jeep. He walked around the front of the car and hopped into the seat. The engine shakily revved as he moved the stick shift into first and started down the dusty outback road.

Dodge was a roughly handsome man. He had rather long hair, over which he wore an Australian-style cowboy hat with a full, yet short beard. His blue eyes surveyed the boring, ever-similar terrain from behind his aviators as he made his way home from supper after a day of hunting.

Upon arriving at his self-built cabin, he reclaimed his gun and backpack from the backseat and marched inside, leaning the rifle against the wall next to the door and tossing the backpack onto the couch in the first room. He had done a good job building his home, it was very nice for an outback cabin.

As he made his way into the kitchen his wife, Addison Dodge, undoubtedly the lovliest woman living in the desert, stepped into the threshold wearing her apron and oven mitts. "Ah, Harry, just in time! Dinner's almost ready. We can sit down and watch the news."

Harry, only Addison was allowed to call him that. He took off his hat, walked up to her and hugged her from behind. In his thick accent, he spoke to her, "How's my Queen of the Outback this evening?"

She chuckled as she continued minding the meat in the skillet before her, "I'm fine darling. Why don't you get some plates, hmm?"

He smiled, "Alright." He moved her long, brown hair aside to give her a peck on the back of the neck and then went to fetch the dinnerware from the cupboard, moving it to the coffee table in the livingroom.

"Dinner's ready!" Addison proclaimed as she brought out the serving dishes. The two served themselves and sat down, turning on the TV. What they saw shocked them. A reporter stood in front of a ruined Parliament building in the Capital, as firecrews and police officers milled around behind him in the still smoldering ruins.

"This is a special report by Christian Jackson. Today, the world of the Promised Land was rocked, as a gas leak caused a massive explosion, right here at Parliament. The President was giving a speech right at the time of the incident. No official casualty figures have been released, and search efforts for survivors in the rubble are ongoing. We have been assured that this was in fact an innocent gas leak and no foul play was involved. Stay tuned as PLNBC continues to report."

Addison's jaw dropped a little over the course of the news report as Harrison got up, reloaded his gun, set the safety to off and then sat back down.

"Can you believe that, Harry? That could have killed half our government or more for all we know!"

"Yeah, it could have. The innocent part though, I'm not so sure of that."

"What do you mean darling?"

Harrison paused, "Nothing. Let's just keep an eye on it for the next couple of days. I think there may be something else there."

OOC: Correct me if I have any details incorrect. This is a really fun RP.

OOC: Nope, seems good. :awesome: I'd just about given up on anyone else joining this. :D

IC: To the suspicious mind, there would be plenty to suggest that this was no accident, though it would all be coincidences and no irrefutable proof.

Martial law, the curfew, and if he was watching closely, the embassies being closed off, and ambassadors being forced to remain on their embassy grounds. And the borders remained closed, with no communication outside the nation, at least on the civilian level.

The people would be scared, but they kept themselves under contro...for the moment.

Today she was going to meet the so-called vanguard of the revolution, Red Army... Red Brigade… Red Cell… Red Dawn… Red Faction? It was Red something or another, it was another group of self-styled communist insurrectionists. Allegedly the liaison from another faction of communist guerillas Sasha was going to transform these inexperienced troublemakers into the scourge of the Promised Land. Sasha might not actually be a communist rebel, but she had plenty of experience in unconventional warfare – as much as any Dark Hand operative.

With Justinian removed from play few threats remained for the Dark Hand, destabilizing a government of potential Slavorussian sympathizers would further the organization's current agenda. Having lost her previous cell in a firefight with SWORD agents Sasha didn't care about the politics, she just wanted to see Promised Land burn.

The Red Guard, as they would remind her upon meeting, were wondering themselves who was behind the attack. They sure as hell hadn't done it.

The contact that Sasha was to meet sat in the corner of an unobtrusive little coffee shop, sipping a tall, decaf cappuccino, and a red book sitting on the table next to their left hand, which was encased in a black glove. The book and the glove were the clue--red for the Guard, and the glove for the Dark Hand. He also happened to be reading another book between sips of his coffee, but that was unimportant. The signs were there for Sasha to read when she walked in.

Tom Berman had only recently gone to Promised Land for Alvonia. His mission was only to confirm if Promised Land did, in fact, have the nuclear weapons they claimed they did. Unfourtunately if he did find out if there were any, then he would have no way to contact Markus or the new leader. He needed to know exactly where these things were, but getting a straight answer from anybody in PL was impossible. All he had was a small pistol he somehow managed to smuggle in, but other than that he was not armed. He hoped he wouldn't have to use this...

OOC: If he does learn too much (which I would like you to) then you have my permission to kill him off. :awesome: Just not yet.

Tom Berman had only recently gone to Promised Land for Alvonia. His mission was only to confirm if Promised Land did, in fact, have the nuclear weapons they claimed they did. Unfourtunately if he did find out if there were any, then he would have no way to contact Markus or the new leader. He needed to know exactly where these things were, but getting a straight answer from anybody in PL was impossible. All he had was a small pistol he somehow managed to smuggle in, but other than that he was not armed. He hoped he wouldn't have to use this...

OOC: If he does learn too much (which I would like you to) then you have my permission to kill him off. :awesome: Just not yet.

OOC: OK...

IC: it was a minor miracle that he'd managed to smuggle in the weapon, but it just might save his life down the line if he ever got too close to something sensitive.

If he had any skills at computer hacking, he would find out that yes, indeed, Promised Land did have the nukes, and he would even be able to find out that they had been constructed in a base not far from the capital, but he would be unable to determine their current location, as each of them seemed to have vanished immediately after construction, with little indication on where they were headed, except away from there.

This was because extra precautions had been taken when each missile was shipped out--several trucks capable of carrying the weapons were dispatched each time one was completed, with no indication which one in actuality contained it. of course, if he ever managed to contact any of the drivers, he might be able to bribe or otherwise persuade (OOC: interrogation, anyone? :D) them to give up their route and ultimate destination. This would not guarantee he found any of the missiles, but it would reveal the possible location on one or more of them...

He had managed to find one driver, a Louiz Sanchez. An immigrant, he had to do grunt work like this just to make ends meet. Tom found him easily, for transporting nukes he didn't make it exactly secret. Luiz didn't even know what hit him until he woke up hours later, with Tom looking over him with a rather sharp knife he had recently bought. "So Mr. Sanchez...tell me, where did you transport these nuclear weapons? And dont lie to me, boy, or being here will be the least of your concerns." He played with the knife a bit before recieving an answer.

He had managed to find one driver, a Louiz Sanchez. An immigrant, he had to do grunt work like this just to make ends meet. Tom found him easily, for transporting nukes he didn't make it exactly secret. Luiz didn't even know what hit him until he woke up hours later, with Tom looking over him with a rather sharp knife he had recently bought. "So Mr. Sanchez...tell me, where did you transport these nuclear weapons? And dont lie to me, boy, or being here will be the least of your concerns." He played with the knife a bit before recieving an answer.

Louiz blinked in confusion. "Huh? Where am I?" He suddenly realized he was bound, unable to escape. He squinted at his captor. "Who are you?"

"That's not important. See this?" He makes sure that Louz can see the knife clearly. "This can cut your jugular and I would let you bleed out in...oh maybe a few minutes. 10 at the most. Now, tell me...where did the nukes go and what route did the truck take? I have you there, I have the knowledge, I just need your cooperation otherwise...well let's not go into specifics." He cuts a piece of hair off his head then cuts it with the knife. "Now are you going to cooperate now?"

"That's not important. See this?" He makes sure that Louz can see the knife clearly. "This can cut your jugular and I would let you bleed out in...oh maybe a few minutes. 10 at the most. Now, tell me...where did the nukes go and what route did the truck take? I have you there, I have the knowledge, I just need your cooperation otherwise...well let's not go into specifics." He cuts a piece of hair off his head then cuts it with the knife. "Now are you going to cooperate now?"

The words tumbled out of his mouth, the thoughts being in no particular order. "I-I, I swear, I don't know! I don't know if the nukes are even in my truck! I just know the route I take takes me through Alice Springs, then past Mintabie. I stop in each of those towns..." he trailed off, stared at the knife, then swallowed nervously...

"Ooh...that hurts, man. That hurts." Tom puts the knife to his own thumb. "Hurts me like this!" He cuts his thumb and puts the bleeding finger over Louiz's forehead and lets the blood drip down. "Who are the other drivers?! I know you know. You want another man's blood on your head or do you want your head on the wall behind you?!" He keeps his thumb over Louiz's head, but has kept it from bleeding to let him answer. Tom loved this technique. His philosophy on interrogations is if you can have them say "If he'll do that to himself, what will he do to me?" then you've gt it.

Edited by N Reeki

His eyes widened even further when the man cut himself, and let the blood from the wound drip into his face. Such a choice he was given, he was nearly speechless with terror. But enough thought remaind that he knew if he didn't say anything, he was dead anyway. "I've m-met them, but I d-don't know anyone's n-name, I swear! We're told that if anyone r-reveals their n-name to another driver, they lose m-more th-than their job...one man tried to tell me his name, and the next day, h-he d-disappeared w-without a t-trace!" His terror was obviously increasing, as indicated by his stuttering getting worse and his voice growing high-pitched. it was difficult to tell who or what he was more afraid of, the man right in front of him, or the faceless terror that menaced anyone who broke the rules...