The formation of the Red Cross

ModusOperandi

redcrossa.jpg

On June 24, 1859 the Austrian and French armies clashed at Solferino, a town in northern Italy. After 16 hours of fighting, the battlefield was strewn with 40,000 dead and wounded men.

That same evening Henry Dunant, a Swiss citizen, arrived in the area on business. He was horrified by what he saw: for want of adequate medical services in both armies, thousands of wounded soldiers were left to suffer untended, abandoned to their fate. Dunant immediately set about organizing care for them, without discrimination, helped by civilians from neighboring villages.

On returning to Switzerland, Henry Dunant was unable to forget the terrible scenes he had witnessed. He decided to write "A Memory of Solferino" which he published at his own expense and circulated to friends, philanthropists, military officers, politicians and certain reigning families. The book was an immediate success.

The Geneva Society for Public Welfare, a charitable association based in the Swiss city of the same name, decided to set up a five-member commission to consider how Henry Dunant's ideas might be implemented. This commission met on February 17 and founded the International Committee for Relief to the Wounded in time of war, which later became the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Having established their Committee, the five founders set about ensuring that the ideas put forward in Dunant's book would become a reality. In response to their invitation, 16 States and four philanthropic institutions sent representatives to the International Conference which opened in Geneva. It was at that Conference that the emblem - a red cross on a white ground - was adopted and the Red Cross as an institution came into being.

“Would it not be possible, in time of peace and quiet, to form relief societies for the purpose of having care given to the wounded in wartime by zealous, devoted and thoroughly qualified volunteers?”

“On certain special occasions, as, for example, when princes of the military art belonging to different nationalities meet (...), would it not be desirable that they should take advantage of this sort of congress to formulate some international principle, sanctioned by a Convention inviolate in character, which, once agreed upon and ratified, might constitute the basis for societies for the relief of the wounded?”

The first of these ideas led to the creation of the National Red Cross (and, later, Red Crescent) Societies, and the second to the development of modern international humanitarian law, which first found written expression in the Geneva Convention.

A parallel history unfolds...

Let it be known that the formation of the Red Cross is now underway.

And the power grab commences!

This has nothing to do with power.

I have been forbidden from creating a red alliance for three years due to the tyranny of greed.

Upon arrival on Bob, nations are obligated to align themselves to the color of their choosing; red should be a choice. Red shall be a choice.

Akin to its namesake, the Red Cross shall be a humanitarian community of organized and honorable states.

The time is now or never.

You know not to be a pain in the butt or anything but ahm ... the red cross on the white background goes back a little further than the Red Cross. It was the Crusader Cross in 1188; served as a symbol for many Knightly Orders (including the Knights Templar) and several others.

See link http://flagspot.net/flags/rel-c188.html

Also it was a symbol used with Joan of Arc and several paramedic agencies around the world. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category..._in_white_field

So I am wondering if you are attempting to one over an already existing concept here in CN?

This has nothing to do with power.

I have been forbidden from creating a red alliance for three years due to the tyranny of greed.

Upon arrival on Bob, nations are obligated to align themselves to the color of their choosing; red should be a choice. Red shall be a choice.

Akin to its namesake, the Red Cross shall be a humanitarian community of organized and honorable states.

The time is now or never.

Don't get me wrong, I think the fate of the red sphere will be one of the interesting things to watch in the next few weeks, but every non-alligned nation in the red sphere has benefited from the Revenge Doctrine, either directly (protection from attack) or indirectly (easier trading environment compared to some other spheres). If your only goal for the last few years has been founding an alliance, you probably should have switched colors long ago. The fact that you've announced this tonight of all nights, after waiting for so long, suggests you're looking for the first mover advantage. This is not a criticism; I think what you're doing is more in the spirit of the game than any other crazy thing that's gone on tonight, and, absent the Revenge Doctrine, a quick coalescing of red nations is a good thing for everyone. I myself have had many red trading partners in the past. Good luck with the alliance, I'll be keeping an eye on this AA.

Modus you were posting on our forum not 16 hours ago... You wrote our charter, you know the rules for leaving. A resignation is required.

Edit: Modus, I will be contacting you regarding time-stamps.

Edited by Bower3aj