Militarization?

Subtleknifewielder

"A surprising twist occured today here at government house, where Senator Drake proposed a new bill that, while common in other nations, would be a radical change if implimented here in our own nation. He has set forth a proposal for manditory military service for a minimum of one year for all citizens upon reaching their age of majority at 18 years, and for each to register for the draft at the age of 16. The branch of service will be the choice of each individual, presented to them the day they turn 18."

"Thanks, (OOC: Insert reporter's name/OOC). In related news, a slight increase on income taxes has many people speculating just what our government needs with this money. Certain areas of the coastline are now restricted to all but military personel, and all efforts to uncover why have been rebutted. It is suspected, but not confirmed, that these two events are related."

***Classified***

Indeed, the slightly increased taxes and the closed-off beaches were related. Anyone watching by satellite would see massive naval activity in the closed-off areas, though it might not be clear what exactly was happening. It had been too long since the shores lacked defenses, and that was now changing. Not only was a SOSUS Network being put in place up to twenty miles off-shore (excepting the areas where that would conflict with the sovereign waters of another nation), preparations were being laid for a massive minefiled that would literally make invading by sea (as most enemies would have to do) a treacherous proposition for any nation.

OOC: Woo militarization! (*is gonna do something similar at some point* Minus... the coast stuff considering... I don't have one <_<)

IC: Seeing this on the news, the president wonders, "Related? Hmm... maybe..."

OOC: Mississippi River Defenses :P

"Combined with the new conscription bill, the closing off of coast areas to civilians is enough to warrant interest. What can the government tell us about their intentions regarding these events?" asked a reporter.

"Combined with the new conscription bill, the closing off of coast areas to civilians is enough to warrant interest. What can the government tell us about their intentions regarding these events?" asked a reporter.

"So now Africa is interested in our affairs? That is a bit of a change. All we can tell you is that this is not an attempt to harm any sovereign nation."

OOC: Metagaming, me? I think not. It actually is about time I started Rp'ing some real defenses.

Unless you're referring to his real lineage...which you would have no way of knowing... :P

OOC: :awesome: And it was about me.

Although, I would have a way of knowing.

FOR I AM ALL POWERFUL BWAHAHAHA

and I read some old RPs and connected the dots. >:3

OOC: :awesome: And it was about me.

Although, I would have a way of knowing.

FOR I AM ALL POWERFUL BWAHAHAHA

and I read some old RPs and connected the dots. >:3

OOC: As you said, metagaming. though you can have all the OOC knowledge you want... :awesome:

So Are you going to post a REAL response to what I said, and/or edit the metagaming one out? :D

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: As you said, metagaming. though you can have all the OOC knowledge you want... :awesome:

So Are you going to post a REAL response to what I said, and/or edit the metagaming one out? :D

OOC: Let me rephrase. He read up on his history :awesome:

and no.. real response for you. :3

"So now Africa is interested in our affairs? That is a bit of a change. All we can tell you is that this is not an attempt to harm any sovereign nation."

"Err, my apologies, sir, I work for a private news corporation, not the government."

OOC: Let me rephrase. He read up on his history :awesome:

and no.. real response for you. :3

OOC And let me rephrase...how is he going to know something that exactly nine people alive know (that counts himself), and is not written down anywhere, nor kept in any computer record? Answer that to my satisfacttion, and I'll acknowledge it.

"Err, my apologies, sir, I work for a private news corporation, not the government."

Our apologies as well. You do have to admit it is unusual, however, for Africans to take interest in our affairs.

The reporter blinked, hesitated, then continued. "So is Promised Land claiming that the purpose behind the conscription bill and the new restricted areas is something that should be treated with suspicion if Africans ask about it? Is this something you want to keep secret from Africans?"

OOC: Yes, now he really is twisting words. That's what reporters do. :P

The reporter blinked, hesitated, then continued. "So is Promised Land claiming that the purpose behind the conscription bill and the new restricted areas is something that should be treated with suspicion if Africans ask about it? Is this something you want to keep secret from Africans?"

OOC: Yes, now he really is twisting words. That's what reporters do. :P

"Absolutely not. You do have to admit Africa has rarely shown an interest one way or the other in any events of Australian origin. Do you deny this? This is simply a matter of being a near-first occurance. If you feel threatened by these circumstances, that simply illustrates a previously unseen paranoia."

It is, of course, your right to believe what you wish. We will not force any fact down your throat, because unlike some, we are not conquerors.

No, you are not, nor are you defenders, nor are you men of any military virtue at all. When your lands were invaded, you dared not even fire a shot. You are cowards, and forever you will stay in Australia, always staying back from war, never standing for what is good and right. Nay, your fear of battle shall deter you from any righteous cause because you simply will not fight. You have never fought. If I sent seven soldiers to the Promised Land, the nation would be mine within a week.

No, you are not, nor are you defenders, nor are you men of any military virtue at all. When your lands were invaded, you dared not even fire a shot. You are cowards, and forever you will stay in Australia, always staying back from war, never standing for what is good and right. Nay, your fear of battle shall deter you from any righteous cause because you simply will not fight. You have never fought. If I sent seven soldiers to the Promised Land, the nation would be mine within a week.

OOC: Ouch. Burn... Nice language use though!

Edited by Yort92

Your records must be incomplete, for we did not hesitate to fight when our shores were threatened. We lost a number of pilots when we were attacked, but when they gave their lives, the attackers turned back from our show of force.

We dare you to send your soldiers...they will be ripped apart by civilians, without the military having to intervene.

OOC: Ouch. Burn... Nice language use though!

OOC: But rather incomplete information. :P

With a 75-23 vote (2% having abstained), the bill has passed. Manditory military service is now in effect. Those currently from age 16-18 are now being asked to go to the nearest recruitment office and register.

***Classified***

The SOSUS network is now 10% complete, and work has begun on actually laying the minefield.