The Great Exodus

Sarah Tintagyl

Raglan sat as close to the rear door as possible, a few rows in front of Sarah. Ahead of him, several hundred refugees were beginning their journey. He glanced back and saw tears in her eyes. He felt a great deal of compassion for the young leader. Nonetheless, he slumped against the fusilage and forced himself to sleep.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Romanov rest his head against the Seat of his Helo and tries to sleep. He fails and starts to drink heavily once again, holding back his anger and sorrow.

"I regret nothing. Finding Anna is all that matters."

He opens the door of the aircraft and chucks his bottle out into the hazy skies, and opens another.

In Vantaa and Turku, the empty transports from Taeunas began arriving. They weren't completely empty, of course. Several teams of Taeunas MP's had shipped over to assist in crowd control and to make sure boarding was oderly. They would also make sure that families went together on the same aircraft whenever possible, to make the transition eaiser.

Flying in the same air corridor, only about an hour behind the prime ministers plane, were the first five loaded transports. Each carried several tons of food and other sundries that would be needed, as well as engineer teams to help set up. Also aboard the first of these were three people from different departments of the Taeunas Foreign Ministry, as well as several troops from the Embassy Security Division.

President DeSchaine was informed of the departure of the PM from Europe and breathed an uneasy sigh. "Out of the frying pan, into the fire." he muttered. The senate was still debateing about a retaliation strike against the Germans. In a small, ironic way, he envied the PM her ability to pick up and leave, even though that opportunity had come at a terrible cost.

Sarah stood in an abandoned city, silence, silence all around her. The buildings were gray, the sky was gray and all she could feel was a harsh wind blowing against her body. Walking against the wind she braced herself against the ash and the gray snow falling from the sky. "Hello? Is anyone here?" She cupped her hands together and cried out for someone to answer, but it was just silence. Continuing against the wind Sarah continued walking through the town, until she came to a small marble fountain, it was a brilliant white marble and the water that poured from the angel's mouth was blood, blood red. Sarah walked closer until she was at the fountain and looking at the statue closer it seemed so familiar. It was her! And the bloody water was pouring out of her fingers, her mouth, and her eyes.

"What? W-What's the meaning of this?" She turned around to see a great crowd of people beginning to surround her. They were gray figures, but she could make some of them out.

"Lady Sarah!" One of the gray figures called out. "Lady Sarah! We will follow unto death!"

"Lady Tintagyl!" Another one called out. "Lead us! Lead us to destruction!"

"No, no, get away from me! Get away from me!" Retreating away from the advancing horde back towards the fountain, but as she walked backwards, she felt a bump and turned around to see another figure. "Larsa?"

"Sarah my dear, why? Why such death?"

"No! Leave me alone!" She could hear the distant sound of the whistle of the missile. "No! No! Not again!"

"Lady Tintagyl!" The crowd shouted in unison as the whistling stopped for a moment only to be followed by a great white flash and darkness...

-------------------------------

Sarah woke up with a start with two Hanseatic Marines looking down at her. "Milady? Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes I'm fine. What is it?"

"We've landed." One said with a smile. "Welcome to Brisbane Your Excellency."

Slowly Sarah and her officers as well as Major Raglan and about one hundred Hanseatic refugees disembarked from the plane walking into Brisbane International Airport. Sarah, her officers were at the front, along with the Major as they walked out into the city where vehicles had been prepared for them. Stepping in she only had one request to begin settling in as quickly as possible and to set up a government. The limousine took off for the City Hall of Brisbane to speak with the Mayor of the City and to begin the necessary transitions of government. For the entire ride, she was still sweating from her dream.

It was no Mayor that would meet Sarah Tintagyl.

Joshua Williams himself was there to meet her at the city hall. He had only been released from care a few days earlier, still recovering from the attempt on his life. He threw Raglan a loose salute, before extending hand to Lady Tintagyl. It was, as luck would have it, his right hand, which was missing the index finger due to yet another shooting a few months before. "Milady, I am honoured to meet you, we have much to discuss."

Sarah bowed as the Head of State of New Cymru appeared to her. She had never met many of the leaders of the Australian continent before and first impressions were everything. "Indeed we do President Williams, indeed we do." She released herself from her bow and looked at him in the face. "I cannot begin to extend my thanks and gratitude for your goodwill in giving my people a home. I'm looking forward to beginning the process of setting up my government, so whatever we need to begin to negotiate let us start." She smiled, things were beginning to look bright for once.

OOC: Sil, sorry if Williams has a different title than President. I'll be more than happy to edit if I got it wrong.

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

"Ah, that's High Minister, however, that is merely a case of aesthetics." He returned the smile, it was not often he met people who so commanded respect. A sort of subconscious confidence which inspired all those who followed. "There is very little that needs to be said in the way of negotiations. However, it is better to discuss them inside." He led the way up the stone stairs and through several office areas to the main conference room. He waited for Sarah to select a seat before taking his own, in the centre of one of the long edges.

"Now, perhaps we had best begin with you explaining exactly what you are hoping for. I am sorry if I sound somewhat blunt, milady, it's just my way."

Edited by Silhouette

Sarah sat across from the High Minister and smiled. "Not at all Your Excellency. My people and I are looking for a very simple thing, we would like to be granted full autonomy so that we may govern ourselves and if were possible if we would be able to sign some kind of Defensive Treaty between our nations and the hope of being recognized inside the Australian Coalition." She sighed. "I know that sounds like a great amount to demand and if it is not possible to provide those requests I understand, but my people and I would just like a home to call our own again. We have seen the wandering of Camberlain before and cringe at the thought of that happening to us, but I can assure you that we will strive to be your greatest ally. No Hanseatic citizen has ever dishonored their neighbor and our government will do the same. We pledge to support New Cymru in any endeavor they strive for." She folded her hands and waited anxiously for the High Minister's reply.

"These terms are acceptable to us. As far as the AC goes, you will probably get observer status at first, but I have no doubt you will be given full admission after a short time. Here in Brisbane, many will not wish to leave there homes and jobs. I propose a dual citizenship agreement for anyone who wishes it, subject to a background check, of course." He withdrew a small hip flask and took a short swig. "We also propose leaving a light brigade in the region to aid with any possible transitional problems. The regional base is just outside the city, and has capacity for 20,000 troops, of which, if you agree, New Cymraeg troops will take up 3,500 of those available spaces. It is also important for you to note that you will be inheriting a string of coastal defence batteries, placed roughly every twenty miles along the coast."

Williams looked into her eyes, and held his gaze there for a full ten seconds. While his eyes were cold, his face radiated warmth, like that of a favoured uncle or grandfather, yet he had never been married, even at his age.

"Madam Prime Minister, you have my full support, and that of my government."

"Thank you Your Excellency." She extended her hand across the table. "Together I hope that our New Hanseatic Republic and New Cymru will build a strong future together in Australia. Together we will make this a bastion against the war and chaos that my countrymen have escape so such destruction will never rear its ugly head on your fair continent."

"Think nothing of it." He took her hand. "John here will provide you with the paperwork. I will leave a security detail here for your personal use, to ensure we don't have any mishaps. I wish I could stay longer, however, I have urgent business to attend to. My apologies." With a final salute, he left the and almost glided to his waiting vehicle, leaving Sarah alone with the fidgeting aide.

The first of the Taeunas supply and transport aircraft touched down and taxied over to an empty patch of tarmac to wait. The nose of the aircraft lifted only long enough for a single Cougar utility vehicle to drive out. In the vehicle were Andrea Price of the Foreign Ministry, Patrick O'Day of the Embassy Security Division, and John Kelly of the Taeunas Intelligence Service, covered as a Col. in the Taeunas Air Force.

The vehicle stopped at the first official looking person and Col. Kelly spoke up. "Scuse us, who do we talk to about unloading my birds? Also, Ms. Price here needs to find someone from the Hansa... er.. government. Or, whoever is in charge of the contingent of folks here. Might you be able to point us in the general direction?"

The first of the Taeunas supply and transport aircraft touched down and taxied over to an empty patch of tarmac to wait. The nose of the aircraft lifted only long enough for a single Cougar utility vehicle to drive out. In the vehicle were Andrea Price of the Foreign Ministry, Patrick O'Day of the Embassy Security Division, and John Kelly of the Taeunas Intelligence Service, covered as a Col. in the Taeunas Air Force.

The vehicle stopped at the first official looking person and Col. Kelly spoke up. "Scuse us, who do we talk to about unloading my birds? Also, Ms. Price here needs to find someone from the Hansa... er.. government. Or, whoever is in charge of the contingent of folks here. Might you be able to point us in the general direction?"

A marine saluted the Taeunas the colonel. "You might want to head downtown Colonel, right now our only official leader is the Prime Minister, not many others made it out alive. Her meeting with the High Minister should be over by now so you can probably just walk right in. But do go in with a little...calmness...her Ladyship hasn't been the same recently."

Sometime after Sarah's arrival, a letter would arrive at her location.

"Sarah,

Even though you apparently have left Scandinavia, I will still defend your former home. As soon as I have done what must be done to restore the sanctity of my home, I will be on the first flight to Brisbane.

We still have a Wedding to sort out if I am not mistaken."

Still Alive with Eternal Love,

Larsa

Edited by Ranather

A few days later a non-descript Plane would land at Brisbane.

One man would step out. It was a beatup-looking Larsa Solidor. A large sickle-shaped scar, still rather fresh looking, now highlighted his face. Sitting down on the nearest bench he could find, he looked around, the hot Australian climate playing with his hair.

Sarah,

Even though you apparently have left Scandinavia, I will still defend your former home. As soon as I have done what must be done to restore the sanctity of my home, I will be on the first flight to Brisbane.

We still have a Wedding to sort out if I am not mistaken."

Still Alive with Eternal Love,

Larsa

Dearest,

I wish you the best of luck in restoring order in Scandinavia, I have only been in Australia a few days now and though it is a beautiful and much warmer country than Scandinavia was I hope that before the end of our lives we will be able to return to our true homelands. Brisbane is a beautiful city and the New Cymreag are a wonderful people to neighbor as well as a few of them to rule over. When you arrive we will begin talks of the wedding as soon as possible as it might be the only thing to restore my true happiness. These have been trying times and I am suffering in holding hope, but we will persevere.

I await for your arrival in Brisbane with anxiousness.

Eternally,

Sarah

Larsa figured there was no point in sitting around any longer. He decided to head to the one place in town he might get some answers.

City Hall.

Hanseatic and Franzharian Citizenship Papers in hand, he flagged down the nearest taxi. Not wanting to attract unwanted attention, he used the name Lamont Archades. Upon arrival he paid the man and entered the building, sitting on a nearby bench to catch his breath. Not expecting anyone to recognize him here, he just sat there.

About the same time a contingent of Hanseatic marines who had returned from inspecting the shore batteries on the coast of the country. Four of them walked into the Hall, joking and laughing, one of them a Major who had been a veteran of the Christmas War, the Republican Revolution, and the first Hanseatic Nuclear attack was with them and when he passed the bench where Larsa was seated he stopped for a moment. He stared at the man seated and then turned to his comrade and told them to go on without him that he would present his report to the Prime Minister later. Carefully he approached the General.

"Excuse me sir." Said the Major removing his white Hanseatic cap, "You might not know me, by name's Johann Kolm, I'm a Major in the Hanseatic marines and excuse me if you seem to resemble a old friend." The major laughed. "Well not friend, but a man I respected, he led one of my contingents in Turku. Larsa Solidor, if you knew him you look like him. But are you a Hanseatic?" The major sighed uneasily, if the man was a New Cymreag he had really embarrassed himself then.

About the same time a contingent of Hanseatic marines who had returned from inspecting the shore batteries on the coast of the country. Four of them walked into the Hall, joking and laughing, one of them a Major who had been a veteran of the Christmas War, the Republican Revolution, and the first Hanseatic Nuclear attack was with them and when he passed the bench where Larsa was seated he stopped for a moment. He stared at the man seated and then turned to his comrade and told them to go on without him that he would present his report to the Prime Minister later. Carefully he approached the General.

"Excuse me sir." Said the Major removing his white Hanseatic cap, "You might not know me, by name's Johann Kolm, I'm a Major in the Hanseatic marines and excuse me if you seem to resemble a old friend." The major laughed. "Well not friend, but a man I respected, he led one of my contingents in Turku. Larsa Solidor, if you knew him you look like him. But are you a Hanseatic?" The major sighed uneasily, if the man was a New Cymreag he had really embarrassed himself then.

Larsa smiled as he handed his real papers to the man.

"These folks know me as Lamont, don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention. But I am who you think I am."

Larsa smiled as he handed his real papers to the man.

"These folks know me as Lamont, don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention. But I am who you think I am."

Kolm's eyes flashed and began a sharp salute before calming himself. "General, its a blessing to see you alive still. Thank God you got out of Helsinki when you did, most of the government was destroyed, we're in a terrible situation here and her Ladyship's been taking in quite hard. If you can imagine she's paler than usual, but the military is mainly unaccounted for and we're not sure which officials made it out alive. In addition, her Ladyship is trying to make this new move here as smooth as possible which means appeasing both these spoiled Hanseatics and the New Cymreag. In a few years we're going to have a whole new ethnicity on our hands." Kolm chuckled. "But General, there's now point if having you sit down here by yourself. I'm heading up to her Ladyship's office now to report on the shore batteries and I'm sure that a visitor of your prestige would end any depression she might be feeling. I also read in the papers that you two are going to become quite the couple, its just the story these people need." The major offered the general a hand as he motioned him to follow to the Prime Minister's Quarters.

Kolm's eyes flashed and began a sharp salute before calming himself. "General, its a blessing to see you alive still. Thank God you got out of Helsinki when you did, most of the government was destroyed, we're in a terrible situation here and her Ladyship's been taking in quite hard. If you can imagine she's paler than usual, but the military is mainly unaccounted for and we're not sure which officials made it out alive. In addition, her Ladyship is trying to make this new move here as smooth as possible which means appeasing both these spoiled Hanseatics and the New Cymreag. In a few years we're going to have a whole new ethnicity on our hands." Kolm chuckled. "But General, there's now point if having you sit down here by yourself. I'm heading up to her Ladyship's office now to report on the shore batteries and I'm sure that a visitor of your prestige would end any depression she might be feeling. I also read in the papers that you two are going to become quite the couple, its just the story these people need." The major offered the general a hand as he motioned him to follow to the Prime Minister's Quarters.

"She could use a friendly face and a firm shoulder, which I will gladly provide. Lead the way, friend."

"No! No I don't care about setting up embassies right now Minister Bracck! Honestly I could careless about the greater health of the world right now, we have our own health to worry about now and we still have millions of people that aren't accounted for. You want to provide a solution to Hansa's problems right now! Get me a God Damn Census!"

"But your Ladyship, foreign negotiations are just as important right now, we don't know who on our borders are friends or enemies."

"And we don't know who is in our own borders! I want to know our homeland is secured for once! Can you do that!"

----

Kolm and Larsa arrived outside the door to the office and paused hearing the volume of Sarah's voice coupled with the whines of her new temporary foreign minister. "Yes, yes Larsa I think you being here will be just the thing to return peace to the government for a moment. We're dealing with a lot of young rich kids with political science degrees right now. Lady Tintagyl's been in need of actual men of experience and we don't have many at the moment." He knocked on the door and waited for a moment. No answer. He knocked again, a little louder this time.

"What is it!?" Sarah's voice screamed from behind the door.

Kolm breathed deeply. "Our cue General Solidor." He turned the knob and walked in.

"Kolm what do you want? I'm having a meeting right now, if this is about the batteries can it wait?"

"The batteries are fine, my report can go to General Nyberg if you would rather than, however I have someone to present to you."

Sarah rubbed her eyes. "Is it another !@#$%^& who thinks they can help me run my government?"

"Not at all Your Excellency." Kolm coughed. "My I present, General Larsa Solidor of Neo Franzharia and the Hanseatic Republic." Sarah dropped the pen out of her hand and the color in her face disappeared totally as her fiance walked through the door.

"Larsa?"

"No! No I don't care about setting up embassies right now Minister Bracck! Honestly I could careless about the greater health of the world right now, we have our own health to worry about now and we still have millions of people that aren't accounted for. You want to provide a solution to Hansa's problems right now! Get me a God Damn Census!"

"But your Ladyship, foreign negotiations are just as important right now, we don't know who on our borders are friends or enemies."

"And we don't know who is in our own borders! I want to know our homeland is secured for once! Can you do that!"

----

Kolm and Larsa arrived outside the door to the office and paused hearing the volume of Sarah's voice coupled with the whines of her new temporary foreign minister. "Yes, yes Larsa I think you being here will be just the thing to return peace to the government for a moment. We're dealing with a lot of young rich kids with political science degrees right now. Lady Tintagyl's been in need of actual men of experience and we don't have many at the moment." He knocked on the door and waited for a moment. No answer. He knocked again, a little louder this time.

"What is it!?" Sarah's voice screamed from behind the door.

Kolm breathed deeply. "Our cue General Solidor." He turned the knob and walked in.

"Kolm what do you want? I'm having a meeting right now, if this is about the batteries can it wait?"

"The batteries are fine, my report can go to General Nyberg if you would rather than, however I have someone to present to you."

Sarah rubbed her eyes. "Is it another !@#$%^& who thinks they can help me run my government?"

"Not at all Your Excellency." Kolm coughed. "My I present, General Larsa Solidor of Neo Franzharia and the Hanseatic Republic." Sarah dropped the pen out of her hand and the color in her face disappeared totally as her fiance walked through the door.

"Larsa?"

"Sarah. I can't even think of words right now. Your...our..pain is immense beyond measure. Whatever you need, and I don't care what it is, just say it, and I'll march straight into hell if I have to, to get it." he said as he moved in to embrace her.

"Sarah. I can't even think of words right now. Your...our..pain is immense beyond measure. Whatever you need, and I don't care what it is, just say it, and I'll march straight into hell if I have to, to get it." he said as he moved in to embrace her.

She threw the papers of the desk and jumped out of her chair and into his arms. Almost immediately her eyes welled up. "Larsa I was so worried about everything. Everything's gone, I have no idea how we are going to rebuild all this, Europe is in ruin and I can't help but to think that it is my fault." Sarah cried, burying her face into his arm. "We've lost so much and I thought that I lost you, I was sure that you died when Helsinki was destroyed and I hoped day in and day out that you would make it to Brisbane. I just want the world to be tied together again and I don't think that will ever happen again. The people are getting by, but how much more can we take? How much more can we take before all hope is lost?"