ISP with DHCP

scytale

Hello,

Just something I thought of.

I know that CN uses more than IP addresses to limit people from having multiple nations but I have a concern. What about the players who log in from home where the ISP uses DHCP? That means those player’s IP addresses can change every day and someone else that plays CN may (and statistically will) get that IP address. Now that we are pretty much out of IPv4 addresses, I hope the CN admins have made provisions for this possibility…at least until everyone is on IPv6 AND gets their own unique IP address.

Just concerned.

Hello,

Just something I thought of.

I know that CN uses more than IP addresses to limit people from having multiple nations but I have a concern. What about the players who log in from home where the ISP uses DHCP? That means those player’s IP addresses can change every day and someone else that plays CN may (and statistically will) get that IP address. Now that we are pretty much out of IPv4 addresses, I hope the CN admins have made provisions for this possibility…at least until everyone is on IPv6 AND gets their own unique IP address.

Just concerned.

Ohh, I know a few sites have had problems with this.

Though, the IP adresses cannot take over another one because of Internet workings and such and general rules and programming.

until everyone is on IPv6 AND gets their own unique IP address.

Being in the industry, I'll tell you straight, don't expect this anytime soon, were not even looking at this implementation for another 5 years, thats on ISP level have you, things move mighty slow when you have new protocals with the magnitude of glitches that IPv6 will have overall.

We don't even know how to test this on grand scale without effecting 10,000 users, I'll give you a little list of things that concern guys like me at the moment.

1. VPN connections incuding MSChaps, which is dead we know it, however companys still use it.
  2. Spoke and Wheel IPSec
  3. DNS, which will be replaced
  4. DHCP
  5. SWAN

Of course, even when (if?) IPv6 becomes standard, the multi-detection stuff will have to be updated to take that into account. Probably instead of the "same network" being two people on the same /8 (as I assume it is now), it'll be two people on the same /64, leading to the same types of false positives as we have now.

Oh, and Freelancer, AAAA records (that carry an IPv6 address) are here today and work just fine, there is no need to replace DNS, and IPv6 stateless address auto-configuration eliminates much of the need for DHCP (admittedly, it doesn't totally replace it though, but DHCPv6 is in the works)

Of course, even when (if?) IPv6 becomes standard, the multi-detection stuff will have to be updated to take that into account. Probably instead of the "same network" being two people on the same /8 (as I assume it is now), it'll be two people on the same /64, leading to the same types of false positives as we have now.

Oh, and Freelancer, AAAA records (that carry an IPv6 address) are here today and work just fine, there is no need to replace DNS, and IPv6 stateless address auto-configuration eliminates much of the need for DHCP (admittedly, it doesn't totally replace it though, but DHCPv6 is in the works)

raskull, keep in mind my research days are almost non-existent these days and I rely on what I read from Corporate.

AAAA records (that carry an IPv6 address) are here today and work just fine

Everything, I have read to date only has this working on Intantants and local networks, correct me if I'm wrong and a link to documentation would be appreciated, I have been keeping up with the progress of DHCPv6 which still is looking like another year out if not longer.