What option for this event?

Otto Verteidiger

Your nation has been asked to host a major 30 day sporting event. While this could entertain your citizens and make them happy, it will also make them quite unproductive during the event.

Option 1: Host the sporting event. Population happiness +1.5.

Option 2: Refuse the sporting event. Citizen income +$3.00.

No Response. Population happiness -1.

I thought 1 happiness = 2 dollars. So by this logic... they're even. Correct or not?

Edited by Otto Verteidiger

Your nation has been asked to host a major 30 day sporting event. While this could entertain your citizens and make them happy, it will also make them quite unproductive during the event.

Option 1: Host the sporting event. Population happiness +1.5.

Option 2: Refuse the sporting event. Citizen income +$3.00. No Response. Population happiness -1.

I thought 1 happiness = 2 dollars. So by this logic... they're even. Correct or not?

1 happiness only = $2 dollars in a perfect environment, so probably they're not quite equal based on the global radiation at the moment. Having said that, it depends on your nation - if all things ARE equal I always advise newer nations to go with happiness to keep the tax rates higher without the workers slacking. If you're always at 28 or 30%, I'd go with the cash this time...

You should always go with Option 2. I don't see what tax rate has to do with it...

If you have a very low population happiness, then 28% tax rate will drop you into the negatives and make it less profitable than a lower tax rate. If you are in this situation, and most very new nations are, then a boost to happiness has the added benefit of allowing you to increase your tax rate.

If you have a very low population happiness, then 28% tax rate will drop you into the negatives and make it less profitable than a lower tax rate. If you are in this situation, and most very new nations are, then a boost to happiness has the added benefit of allowing you to increase your tax rate.

Actually this is incorrect. Which tax rate is most profitable is not dependant on your population happiness but on your Gross Income per Citizen. Both options in this event affect this quantity so tax rates should not factor in your decision on which Event Option is the best for you to go with. In general Tax rates should never effect which option you choose unless the event specifically deals with tax rates (iirc there aren't any).

Right. The +$3.00 will increase your income slightly more than the +1.5 happiness, meaning it will have the same effect on your ability to increase your tax rate.

Of course if something weird happens at negative happiness levels this may not be the case. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever stumbled across a nation with negative happiness. I'm assuming the happiness just takes away from base income rather than adding to it when it is negative.

Actually this is incorrect. Which tax rate is most profitable is not dependant on your population happiness but on your Gross Income per Citizen. Both options in this event affect this quantity so tax rates should not factor in your decision on which Event Option is the best for you to go with. In general Tax rates should never effect which option you choose unless the event specifically deals with tax rates (iirc there aren't any).

Learn something new every day ;)