General Canadian actions

Lynneth

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-----------------------------------------------

For the two of them, it would be rather boring, waiting for the countdown to get to fifteen minutes.

"T-minus 15 minutes. All non-essential personnel, clear the launching area."

By now, internal checks had been completed. All astronauts were in their chairs and waited.

Civilians and other non-essential workers left the launching area, heading for safety in the command centers or other buildings.

"T-minus 10 minutes."

When the first shuttle to the moon had launched, countless of people had gathered to watch it take off. Since then, there were less and less people, but today, it was different.

Their leader, the Chairman would visit the moon. He'd not only be the first national leader to visit the moon, he'd at the same time also be the first disabled person to visit Bob's satellite, getting two spots in the Guiness Book of World Records.

This was also the time when the astronauts had to put on their helmets and were required to check their seatbelts again. Anderson would notice that while the training models had HUDs like the real suits, it was more minimalistic than what he could see now. It was, however, very easy to understand, and he had more than enough time to experiment with it, during the flight to the moon.

"T-minus 5 minutes. All personnel, clear the area. All personnel, clear the area."

The orders were obeyed.

Within less than a minute, there was not a single soul within 150 meters of the shuttle, and those closer than 300 meters wore protective suits.

"T-minus one minute."

Most non-essential work had ceased, everyone waiting for the take-off, looking at the shuttle.

"T-minus ten seconds.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

Six.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

Zero!"

The shuttle's rockets roared and soon, it would begin moving upwards, into the sky. Saboria's people watched their Chairman leave into space.

----------------------

Minutes later, the people on the shuttle would already feel gravity weakening. Anderson would be able to watch the blue of the atmosphere be replaced by the dark of space, sprinkled with stars everywhere. A magnificent sight.

Two hours after take-off, they were be allowed to unfasten the seatbelts and do what they wanted to do.

As he sat there, during the inevitible wait that was the countdown, he occupied himself with checking his seat belt, putting on his helmet, and experimenting a little with the HUD. Of course, that didn't keep him occupied for long, so finally he just layed back and waited for the launch. Surprisingly, despite the energy that had been coursing through his body like electricity just before getting dressed in his suit, he managed to catch a wink or two of sleep. But he woke up when the rockets ignited.

He barely thought about the enormous amount of potential explosive fuel underneath him, or the G-forces pulling him back into the seat, but rather watching the sky outside as it slowly darkened from bright blue to dark, and from dark to star-spangled black. He couldn't help but admire that view. Almost breathtaking. Or maybe that was the G-forces acting on his body--nah, it was the sight.

When the two-hour mark after take-off came, he had to be reminded that he could take off the seat belt. He was still staring into space. He wondered what the planet would look like on their return trip...

As he sat there, during the inevitible wait that was the countdown, he occupied himself with checking his seat belt, putting on his helmet, and experimenting a little with the HUD. Of course, that didn't keep him occupied for long, so finally he just layed back and waited for the launch. Surprisingly, despite the energy that had been coursing through his body like electricity just before getting dressed in his suit, he managed to catch a wink or two of sleep. But he woke up when the rockets ignited.

He barely thought about the enormous amount of potential explosive fuel underneath him, or the G-forces pulling him back into the seat, but rather watching the sky outside as it slowly darkened from bright blue to dark, and from dark to star-spangled black. He couldn't help but admire that view. Almost breathtaking. Or maybe that was the G-forces acting on his body--nah, it was the sight.

When the two-hour mark after take-off came, he had to be reminded that he could take off the seat belt. He was still staring into space. He wondered what the planet would look like on their return trip...

Once the seatbelt was off, Anderson would likely notice that he was already floating freely and that most of the other astronaut - aside from the one reminding him that the belt could be taken off - were already in the main-part of the shuttle, where most of the equipment was stored.

Should he decide to stop looking at the amazing sight from the pilot centre (OOC: Hooray for another word for '$@pit') and go to the shuttle's centre, he would find the astronauts doing some experiments, while the Chairman was floating around, restraining himself from giggling like a little girl. He hadn't felt this free and this good for decades, just moving around without any effort at all! The only thing that restricted him, though only slightly, was that he couldn't use his legs to move around.

He saw Anderson and stopped near a small tesla-coil experiment, waving to the man from Down Under. "Anderson, finally you're getting out of the pilot centre. Come and enjoy life in zero-G, for it is incredible!" The Chairman smiled wide, then propelled himself to the other side of the room, from there looking out of a window. "This is just incredible."

Once the seatbelt was off, Anderson would likely notice that he was already floating freely and that most of the other astronaut - aside from the one reminding him that the belt could be taken off - were already in the main-part of the shuttle, where most of the equipment was stored.

Should he decide to stop looking at the amazing sight from the pilot centre (OOC: Hooray for another word for '$@pit') and go to the shuttle's centre, he would find the astronauts doing some experiments, while the Chairman was floating around, restraining himself from giggling like a little girl. He hadn't felt this free and this good for decades, just moving around without any effort at all! The only thing that restricted him, though only slightly, was that he couldn't use his legs to move around.

He saw Anderson and stopped near a small tesla-coil experiment, waving to the man from Down Under. "Anderson, finally you're getting out of the pilot centre. Come and enjoy life in zero-G, for it is incredible!" The Chairman smiled wide, then propelled himself to the other side of the room, from there looking out of a window. "This is just incredible."

Anderson blinked as the other astronaut tapped him on the shoulder, thanking the man and unfastening his seat belt.

Enjoying the zero gravity sensation (it felt a little like being in a constant freefall), he decided to see if he could get to the doorway in one try. Carefully, he gripped his chair, bunched his legs underneath him, and then at once shot forward, toward the door. He was off by only ten centimeters (gah, now these people had him thinking in the Metric system--ah, well, not too bad, considering).

He managed to latch onto the doorway and pull himself through to the central portion of the craft.

"Oh, hello there," he said, when he saw the Chairman waving toward him. he gave a wary eye toward the tesla-coil experiment, but came "down" toward Lynneth. "What's up?" he asked, intentionally leaving the conversation wide open for the Chairman to make a joke if he so chose.

Anderson blinked as the other astronaut tapped him on the shoulder, thanking the man and unfastening his seat belt.

Enjoying the zero gravity sensation (it felt a little like being in a constant freefall), he decided to see if he could get to the doorway in one try. Carefully, he gripped his chair, bunched his legs underneath him, and then at once shot forward, toward the door. He was off by only ten centimeters (gah, now these people had him thinking in the Metric system--ah, well, not too bad, considering).

He managed to latch onto the doorway and pull himself through to the central portion of the craft.

"Oh, hello there," he said, when he saw the Chairman waving toward him. he gave a wary eye toward the tesla-coil experiment, but came "down" toward Lynneth. "What's up?" he asked, intentionally leaving the conversation wide open for the Chairman to make a joke if he so chose.

OOC: You should get online earlier, Subtle. <.<

IC:

"Aside from enjoying free movement, you mean? Not much. I think I'll watch the men do their experiments. This stuff has always interested me."

He floated back to the tesla-experiment, but staid in a small distance from it, as he didn't want to accidentially get fried by it. He watched the lightning dance around, guided from a small metal ball to its 'targets' by an ionizing laser.

OOC: You should get online earlier, Subtle. <.<

OOC: Sorry, limited time is limited. I can't do this from home...

IC:

"Aside from enjoying free movement, you mean? Not much. I think I'll watch the men do their experiments. This stuff has always interested me."

He floated back to the tesla-experiment, but staid in a small distance from it, as he didn't want to accidentially get fried by it. He watched the lightning dance around, guided from a small metal ball to its 'targets' by an ionizing laser.

IC: "Ah, what's this, no joke? After all, there really is no 'up' out here in space..." He winked, then turned to watch the experiment for a little while himself.

"Fascinating, yet dangerous stuff. Do you think anyone will ever be able to fully control that kind of technology?" he asked, pointing at the experiment they were watching.

OOC: Sorry, limited time is limited. I can't do this from home...

OOC: Adjective noun is Adjective.

Aww. *Hands cookie*

IC: "Ah, what's this, no joke? After all, there really is no 'up' out here in space..." He winked, then turned to watch the experiment for a little while himself.

"Fascinating, yet dangerous stuff. Do you think anyone will ever be able to fully control that kind of technology?" he asked, pointing at the experiment they were watching.

"Sorry, I'm not a joker all the time, you'll have to buy a set of poker cards for that. There's even four in one of those."

The tesla experiment was, luckily, below a glass-bell, though in an environment similar to Bob's atmosphere. Above the iron ball was a small laserthat could rotate up, down, left and right. Wherever it pointed and activated, to there would a small lightning bolt from the iron ball - or tesla coil - jump. Directed lightning, quite easily done on such a small scale, but immensely harder on larger scales that would be needed for this to be a viable weapon in war.

"Indeed, fascinating. And I'm quite sure that, eventually, this stuff will be controlled. Mankind advances, no matter the obstacles."

When asked how exactly the laser guided the lightning, one of the astronauts observing the experiment would explain, "The laser essentially creates a tiny stream of ionised gases, or a low-temperature plasma. Through this, the bolt can get to its destination and be guided. On this scale it's easy, but if you make it only ten times bigger and more powerful, then you need a much more powerful laser to reliably guide the lightning. Great to watch, though."

OOC: Adjective noun is Adjective.

Aww. *Hands cookie*

OOC: Meh, I've lived with it all my life. I get by, usually, except for on weekends (time being more limited than usual) and national holidays (no time at all).

Thanks for the cookie! *Nomnomnom*

"Sorry, I'm not a joker all the time, you'll have to buy a set of poker cards for that. There's even four in one of those."

The tesla experiment was, luckily, below a glass-bell, though in an environment similar to Bob's atmosphere. Above the iron ball was a small laserthat could rotate up, down, left and right. Wherever it pointed and activated, to there would a small lightning bolt from the iron ball - or tesla coil - jump. Directed lightning, quite easily done on such a small scale, but immensely harder on larger scales that would be needed for this to be a viable weapon in war.

"Indeed, fascinating. And I'm quite sure that, eventually, this stuff will be controlled. Mankind advances, no matter the obstacles."

When asked how exactly the laser guided the lightning, one of the astronauts observing the experiment would explain, "The laser essentially creates a tiny stream of ionised gases, or a low-temperature plasma. Through this, the bolt can get to its destination and be guided. On this scale it's easy, but if you make it only ten times bigger and more powerful, then you need a much more powerful laser to reliably guide the lightning. Great to watch, though."

A deck of cards? He struggled to contain his laughter. He didn't want to distract the astronauts working on the experiment. Though it was safely under the glass, it never hurt to be too careful.

Once he had gotten it under control, he nodded in agreement with Lynneth's other comment. "Indeed, mankind always advances. Our presence here, in space, is proof enough of that. Though I often wonder if some of our advances are worth the prices we must pay..." he trailed off, sobering slightly at some unspoken memory.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Meh, I've lived with it all my life. I get by, usually, except for on weekends (time being more limited than usual) and national holidays (no time at all).

Thanks for the cookie! *Nomnomnom*

A deck of cards? He struggled to contain his laughter. He didn't want to distract the astronauts working on the experiment. Though it was safely under the glass, it never hurt to be too careful.

Once he had gotten it under control, he nodded in agreement with Lynneth's other comment. "Indeed, mankind always advances. Our presence here, in space, is proof enough of that. Though I often wonder if some of our advances are worth the prices we must pay..." he trailed off, sobering slightly at some unspoken memory.

OOC: Delicious cookies. =3

IC: "Sometimes the price is high, yet must be paid in order to advance...Especially in highly controversial areas such as genetic research." He sighs silently, remembering the atrocities that had been done by Fjodor Leclerc and his men in the name of science.

"If it's worth paying it, that we only know afterwards. Unfortunately."

OOC: Delicious cookies. =3

IC: "Sometimes the price is high, yet must be paid in order to advance...Especially in highly controversial areas such as genetic research." He sighs silently, remembering the atrocities that had been done by Fjodor Leclerc and his men in the name of science.

"If it's worth paying it, that we only know afterwards. Unfortunately."

"Yes, that is an unfortunate truth. You never know if what you are doing will actually be of benefit--or if it will open a Pandora's Box that should have been left shut." He thought particularly of the war against the original Duetschland. The weapons used in that war had the capability of annihilating the world if put into the wrong hands.

He shook his head after a bit of brooding, however, adn attempted to dispell the dark mood that had come over him. "Anyway, let us leave the past in the past, and the future will take care of itself. I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

"Yes, that is an unfortunate truth. You never know if what you are doing will actually be of benefit--or if it will open a Pandora's Box that should have been left shut." He thought particularly of the war against the original Duetschland. The weapons used in that war had the capability of annihilating the world if put into the wrong hands.

He shook his head after a bit of brooding, however, adn attempted to dispell the dark mood that had come over him. "Anyway, let us leave the past in the past, and the future will take care of itself. I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

"I'm hungry, too, as are likely the others. Unfortunately, we'll have to use space-food."

One of the astronauts had already taken several tubes of astronaut-food out. While it didn't taste too well, it calmed the stomach and had all the nutrients the human body needed. The man gave the tubes out, one per person. After he had finished his, the Chairman sighed again.

"Ah, what I'd give for a turkey right now."

"I'm hungry, too, as are likely the others. Unfortunately, we'll have to use space-food."

One of the astronauts had already taken several tubes of astronaut-food out. While it didn't taste too well, it calmed the stomach and had all the nutrients the human body needed. The man gave the tubes out, one per person. After he had finished his, the Chairman sighed again.

"Ah, what I'd give for a turkey right now."

"Meh, it's food. My stomach won't care what kind." As he ate it, hoewever, a slight frown of dissatisfaction crossed his face.

"Turkey? I could go for a good-sized beefsteak...ah, well, what's this one drawback when we compare it with where we are? We're in space. A year ago I'd have given up far more than a plate of food to be here." He began to gesture with his hand, only to realize it would have a few more consequences here in zero-gravity...

OOC: Good. Now go and post.

OOC: There, happy? :P

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

"Meh, it's food. My stomach won't care what kind." As he ate it, hoewever, a slight frown of dissatisfaction crossed his face.

"Turkey? I could go for a good-sized beefsteak...ah, well, what's this one drawback when we compare it with where we are? We're in space. A year ago I'd have given up far more than a plate of food to be here." He began to gesture with his hand, only to realize it would have a few more consequences here in zero-gravity...

OOC: There, happy? :P

OOC: Yus. =9

IC: "Beefsteak, Turkey, both are fine, really. I just don't like the astronaut-food too much."

The Chairman watched Anderson gesture. The main thing that would happen? Anderson would begin spinning lightly, depending on the direction into which his hand went.

The Chairman chuckled.

It would take three days to reach the moon or rather, to get into its orbit. Once there, preparations would be made to actually land the shuttle on its surface.

OOC: Speeding things a bit up, because we can only talk so much in that time

OOC: Yus. =9

IC: "Beefsteak, Turkey, both are fine, really. I just don't like the astronaut-food too much."

The Chairman watched Anderson gesture. The main thing that would happen? Anderson would begin spinning lightly, depending on the direction into which his hand went.

The Chairman chuckled.

It would take three days to reach the moon or rather, to get into its orbit. Once there, preparations would be made to actually land the shuttle on its surface.

OOC: Speeding things a bit up, because we can only talk so much in that time

"Hey, find me someone who actually LIKES this stuff, and I'll show you a pig that can fly," Anderson retorted. Again he needed to restrain a gesture, as when he did things like that, he tended to make wide, fast movements. It wouldn't necessarily cause anything bad, but it would be a little hard to regain control of his movement if he began spinning in place.

"Hey, find me someone who actually LIKES this stuff, and I'll show you a pig that can fly," Anderson retorted. Again he needed to restrain a gesture, as when he did things like that, he tended to make wide, fast movements. It wouldn't necessarily cause anything bad, but it would be a little hard to regain control of his movement if he began spinning in place.

The Chairman shrugged, then went back to watching the experiments.

______

Three days later

The shuttle had gone into the moon's orbit and everything was being prepared for landing. Anderson, once again in a seat in the pilot center, could easily see the surface moving below him. All had their seatbelts on, as they would land soon.

"Approaching landing point one in three...two...one..."

O'Connor pressed a button and the shuttle moved, quite suddenly. Several minutes passed, then:

"Landing point two in three...two...one..."

Again, he pressed a button, and the shuttle moved again. This process would happen several more times until the shuttle had slowed down sufficiently to land on a flat area, which happened approximately half an hour after reaching landing point one.

The Chairman shrugged, then went back to watching the experiments.

______

Three days later

The shuttle had gone into the moon's orbit and everything was being prepared for landing. Anderson, once again in a seat in the pilot center, could easily see the surface moving below him. All had their seatbelts on, as they would land soon.

"Approaching landing point one in three...two...one..."

O'Connor pressed a button and the shuttle moved, quite suddenly. Several minutes passed, then:

"Landing point two in three...two...one..."

Again, he pressed a button, and the shuttle moved again. This process would happen several more times until the shuttle had slowed down sufficiently to land on a flat area, which happened approximately half an hour after reaching landing point one.

Anderson sat securly in his seat. While he restrained himself from actively whooping aloud (he REALLY didn't want to distract the pilot and become a smear on the lunar surface, or worse, find himself creening off into space), his adrenaline was running what felt like full throttle, and his grin was as wide as it could go.

As they neared the final landing point, he found the assessment about his adrenaline to be innacurate--his heart rate actually increased. It wouldn't be long now...

Anderson sat securly in his seat. While he restrained himself from actively whooping aloud (he REALLY didn't want to distract the pilot and become a smear on the lunar surface, or worse, find himself creening off into space), his adrenaline was running what felt like full throttle, and his grin was as wide as it could go.

As they neared the final landing point, he found the assessment about his adrenaline to be innacurate--his heart rate actually increased. It wouldn't be long now...

"Landing point Omega in five...four...three...two...one..."

The shuttle shook, though not too violently, just enough to disorient someone.

O'Connor took the radio from the console in front of him and plugged it into the suit, into a plug on the chest. "O'Connor to homebase, O'Connor to homebase. We're safe on the cheese. I repeat, we're safe on the cheese." He chuckled a bit, finding the though of calling the moon 'cheese' funny.

Shortly afterwards, a reply came. "Here homebase. We heard you loud'n clear. Now go and have fun, you're on one of the last direct moon missions for the time being."

"Yes, Sir."

O'Connor unplugged the radio, then unfastened his seatbelt, giving the others the sign to do the same.

Soon afterwards, all would be in the main room of the shuttle, the door to the airlock open. O'Connor asked, "Gentlemen, who wants to step on it first?"

"Landing point Omega in five...four...three...two...one..."

The shuttle shook, though not too violently, just enough to disorient someone.

O'Connor took the radio from the console in front of him and plugged it into the suit, into a plug on the chest. "O'Connor to homebase, O'Connor to homebase. We're safe on the cheese. I repeat, we're safe on the cheese." He chuckled a bit, finding the though of calling the moon 'cheese' funny.

Shortly afterwards, a reply came. "Here homebase. We heard you loud'n clear. Now go and have fun, you're on one of the last direct moon missions for the time being."

"Yes, Sir."

O'Connor unplugged the radio, then unfastened his seatbelt, giving the others the sign to do the same.

Soon afterwards, all would be in the main room of the shuttle, the door to the airlock open. O'Connor asked, "Gentlemen, who wants to step on it first?"

Anderson had to physically restrain himself from insisting he go first. Instead... "As leaders in our respective nations, I believe the Chairman and I should go first, in the spirit of unity. What say you, Chairman?" He pivoted to look directly at the man as he spoke.

Anderson had to physically restrain himself from insisting he go first. Instead... "As leaders in our respective nations, I believe the Chairman and I should go first, in the spirit of unity. What say you, Chairman?" He pivoted to look directly at the man as he spoke.

The Chairman, who was sitting on the ground - the moon does have gravity, though weaker than Bob's - shrugged. "I don't really care who's first out there. I just want to look at it. I want to explore it a bit, not more."

Meanwhile, two of the astronauts got a modified wheelchair from the back of the shuttle. This chair was probably the most expensive one in the solar system, because it had small rockets in the case the Chairman found himself drifting away from the moon. It was made specifically to let him drive around here, having six wheels. (OOC: Like the marsrovers the US sent to mars.)

The Chairman, who was sitting on the ground - the moon does have gravity, though weaker than Bob's - shrugged. "I don't really care who's first out there. I just want to look at it. I want to explore it a bit, not more."

Meanwhile, two of the astronauts got a modified wheelchair from the back of the shuttle. This chair was probably the most expensive one in the solar system, because it had small rockets in the case the Chairman found himself drifting away from the moon. It was made specifically to let him drive around here, having six wheels. (OOC: Like the marsrovers the US sent to mars.)

OOC: Got it.

IC: Anderson raised an eyebrow at the rather unique chair they brought out for the Chairman (he still got a laugh out of that little joke), but did not comment on it. Rather, he replied to Lynneth's statement.

"Still, it would be highly symbolic, would it not? Besides," he added in words only the Chairman would hear, "it would be the perfect opportunity to plan our moon base."

OOC: Got it.

IC: Anderson raised an eyebrow at the rather unique chair they brought out for the Chairman (he still got a laugh out of that little joke), but did not comment on it. Rather, he replied to Lynneth's statement.

"Still, it would be highly symbolic, would it not? Besides," he added in words only the Chairman would hear, "it would be the perfect opportunity to plan our moon base."

The Chairman grinned. "So be it then."

He put on his helmet and activated the radio before driving into the airlock. It was, luckily, big enough to fit Anderson in, too.

The Chairman grinned. "So be it then."

He put on his helmet and activated the radio before driving into the airlock. It was, luckily, big enough to fit Anderson in, too.

Anderson repeated the actions of the Chairman himself, putting on his helmet and turning on the radio. He followed a step behind until they reached the airlock, where he stepped up beside the Chairman.

He glanced to the side, once.

"You ready?" he asked. Upon receiving confirmation, he would move forward at the same pace as his companion.