Donation Bonus

I have noticed that admin did, in fact, lower the bonus for donations in CN:TE as suggested, but I still consider this a rather imperfect fix for a poor situation. CN is a game the specifically fosters the goal of building up a strong alliance for reasons of defense and political influence. CN:TE is a game designed to focus on building up a nation for offense and leaderboard standings. As such, where a boost to nations in CN from donations has a relatively minor impact on the main political game, the same type of boost, even a smaller one, can still give the impression of buying one's way to the top. As such, I'd like to open the floor to alternative ideas for what a donation can give that will add enough to the entertainment value to make a donation worth it, without providing something that really unbalances the gameplay.

I'll start with my own war slot suggestion.

$5: +1 Offensive War slot for the month

$10: +2 Offensive War Slots for the month

$20: +3 Offensive War Slots for the month

Now, extra war slots add a great deal to how much you can do in TE. Let's face it, being able to declare on 6 nations gives you the flexibility to find a lot more entertainment than 3, but any gain in standings arising from this would still be brought about as a result of skill on the part of the player. Rather than automatically jumping past everyone even if you are the worst nation builder and fighter that ever lived, the extra slots would proide the most advantage to those who know how to use them, while allowing people who aren't skilled enough to really play competitively still have plenty of fun smashing each other to bits just that little bit more.

As an added point, I would personally be very unlikely to drop money on building a nation that will be reset in less than 3 months, but I just might invest a few dollars on some added entertainment in the war department.

Any good 'outside the box' suggestions?

interesting thought, it would be interesting if people could select one combination of effects..

for example, lets start with a 20 dollar donation.. the form is coded as such, based on the type of donation, that someone wants to make, they click on lets say d, (mostly because 200 infra would kick butt) and then the info is passed over to the form for paypal with $20.00 locked in and the type being chosen which is D, and that info would be passed along to admin via paypal and or his staff...

A) $200,000.00, 100 land, 100 infra, 10 technology (Standard)

B) $600,000.00

C) 200 land

D) 200 infra

E) 30 technology

side note that this could dramatically change the way donations could be coded for the regular game...

Edited by maxfiles

6 war slots would be fun, but way too much of an advantage.

Not really. You wind up fighting 9 people, that's only an advantage if you're damn good. Even if they're all half your size that still adds up to about 10x your strength that you're in a war with. And anyone declaring on you is probably not half your size.

I like the creative idea of extra warslots. Perhaps: Lose one defensive war slot and instead gain one offensive war slot. Still have a total of 6, but now you have the advantage.

EDIT: I don't like the idea of donations giving the same types of boosts as in the regular game, since in TE we are supposedly competing for "prizes" that have some kind of real value. Donation buying your way to the top seems kind of wrong.

Edited by JoshuaR

• 3 weeks later...
Not really. You wind up fighting 9 people, that's only an advantage if you're damn good. Even if they're all half your size that still adds up to about 10x your strength that you're in a war with.

I don't really get declared on and if I had 6 offensive slots and others didn't, I'd most likely be in first, fairly easily. I could just rotate 6 raid slots instead of 3 and there would be no way for the others with only 3 to keep up with me. For the most part, most raid targets won't fight back, they'll either peace out, turtle or go inactive so you wouldn't have to fight all of them at the same time.

And anyone declaring on you is probably not half your size.

Agreed, but if 3 people double your size declared on you, you probably wouldn't go out on 6 tech raids.

The top of the rankings would all who donated or got a donation (and are active), and there would be no way for those w/o one to catch up. If you are arguing that it isn't really an advantage, why would someone donate RL money to get something that doesn't give them an advantage?

I like the extra war slots idea, but as an alternative (as in, you donate and get to choose between bonuses), perhaps allow a nation to be able to use peace mode without economic penalties? Or perhaps merely reduced ones, though not the standard CN ones which are intentionally crippling. My nation has been mostly built on raiding, but if a person wants to try and just build their way to the top peacefully, well, let 'em try. There IS some skill to nation building, otherwise the CN standard Citadel peeps wouldn't be as large as they are. Economics is just as much a part of this game as war is, after all.

It'd have to be fiddled around with to be properly balanced, but I think pure economics should be held out as an alternative to constant warfare.