Infra tech ratio limits

King Chill I

Hey guys i wanted to get some opinions on this idea of mine. I have be thinking that the amount of tech purchased should be somehow limited/defined by the amount of infra a nation has.

RL logic is that unless a nation has the proper infrastructure it cannot support or practically apply its vast technological knowledge.

The in-game logic is that it would stop the great imbalances that the current system allows. As Alden suggested in this topic (http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=20024&st=0&start=0) there can be great differences in capabilities between two nations that have essentially the same NS.

Once a young nation gets to the point where they can afford 50 tech for 1.25-1.5mil there is nothing stopping them from buying as much tech as they want.

This not only allows for situations where a 4k infra nation with 2k tech has the same NS as a 7k infra nation with 700 tech but also allows these tech heavy nations to declare war against what are in effect much bigger opponents with much more expensive infra and do millions in damage.

I am still not sure of the proper infra:tech ratio ranges but off the top of my head, a logical limit would be that a nation can only buy enough tech to compensate for an additional 1k equivalent of their current infra amount.

So essentially if you are a 2k infra nation you should only be able to buy enough tech to fill in the NS gap between 2k and 3k infra (just an example and not a very good one since with that system a 4k nation can still have 2400 tech).

Another option is maybe a max of a 4:1 infra:tech ratio. That way a 4 nation can have max 1k tech. Again all tentative and not very specific suggestions.

This way however smaller nations can still declare up but within reasonable limits.

Coupled with a war range reduction to 75-133% it would make a pretty fair system.

In fact, the amount of tech you can buy could also be based on a combination of infra and land stats thus maybe adding another potential use for land (which currently is far behind infra and tech in its usefulness).

I have posted here looking for opinions of why this might be a bad idea or why it might not work so keep replies civil.

Edited by Chill

you do realize anyone dumb enough to inflate and attack a nation thats at the same NS who isnt inflated is probably going to get ZI'd in that battle... the bigger nation would beef up all the way and then destroy the smaller one while stealing the tech that was stolen, and getting more...

you do realize anyone dumb enough to inflate and attack a nation thats at the same NS who isnt inflated is probably going to get ZI'd in that battle... the bigger nation would beef up all the way and then destroy the smaller one while stealing the tech that was stolen, and getting more...

Well there is the problem with nuke rouges and overinflated NS.

Another option is maybe a max of a 4:1 infra:tech ratio. That way a 4 nation can have max 1k tech. Again all tentative and not very specific suggestions.

and what do you do with all those nations who are right now well over that ratio? Just delete all their additional tech? If so, will you refund them for the cash they paid to get it? Or let them keep it? Great idea, in that case no one can catch up to my 8k+ tech before he has at least 25k infra :rolleyes:

Well there is the problem with nuke rouges and overinflated NS.

Hey, if I'm inflated on tech and so have higher NS than I normally would for my infra level, I'd rather a nuke rogue hit me than an alliance mate who has more (and higher costing) infra than I to. A smart nuke rogue would get targets based on infra, not on just NS. Plus fighting a nuke rogue would be fun. :D

I can see a tech ratio of 1 to 1 infra vs tech but anyone stupid enough to go super tech heavy and fight a nation with double infra is going to loose. That other person has friends and the rogue with lots of tech will be quite a party for nations to get a load of tech. Sure that 7k infra nation will get damaged, but any good alliance will help him out.

This idea is only good at keeping tech = to infra.

and what do you do with all those nations who are right now well over that ratio? Just delete all their additional tech? If so, will you refund them for the cash they paid to get it? Or let them keep it? Great idea, in that case no one can catch up to my 8k+ tech before he has at least 25k infra :rolleyes:

Well it can either be "frozen" until your infra grows to the proper ratio to unfreeze it or, even better, you could send it out to fellow alliances mates ;)

The main purpose behind the idea was to stop NS inflation and to make the system more logical by introducing ratios but from what i see it doesnt look like it would go down.

As for the "people who inflate and attack high are gonna get ZIed" argument, yes of course they are gonna get ZIed but in a nuke war (by todays rules = ZI anyway) they could do a disproportional amount of damage. Although another way of fixing this has already been proposed (shorten the attack range to 75-133%).