Pay Bills Bug

JayStryker

Issue: Overcharged on bills and tax penalties whilst in inactive mode
Number of days inactive: 20

Evidence: 
1. Bills - I've been charged for 50 days, bills are capped at 25 days (ref: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/120202-inactivity-mode-had-to-pay-bills/) - http://i.imgur.com/jR59C7K.png
2. Tax penalties - I've been given a tax penalty for 49 unpaid bill days - http://i.imgur.com/qGqVfpc.png

Result: As I was only made aware of this today, I had to sell down from 7,999.99 to 1,999.99 infra to pay off the bills

Compensation sought: Cash worth 6000 infra purchase cost, + cash to compensate for the extra days in bills and tax penalty

The images provided show the "Pay Bills" and the "Collect Taxes"  pages that prove the claims above.

Thanks!
Edited by JayStryker

This same thing happened to http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=542254 coming out of inactive mode (47 days bills).  Didn't know it until after it was dealt with selling infra there as well, but iIf fixes are possible after the fact, if you could look into that for him as well.

Thanks!

Your last bill payment was previously 2014-03-08 14:36:59.000. As you were inactive for ~20 days your last bill payment was automatically adjusted to 2014-03-29 14:36:59.000

You don't have to the bills while you were away, but you still have to pay the back bills that you had before you went inactive, otherwise going inactive would be an easy way to get out of paying long overdue bills.

No compensation is necessary here.

Your last bill payment was previously 2014-03-08 14:36:59.000. As you were inactive for ~20 days your last bill payment was automatically adjusted to 2014-03-29 14:36:59.000

You don't have to the bills while you were away, but you still have to pay the back bills that you had before you went inactive, otherwise going inactive would be an easy way to get out of paying long overdue bills.

No compensation is necessary here.

That's unadulterated nonsense. Your contention that JStryker did not pay the bills for the time he was inactive is not true. It simply is not true. Did you even look at his screenshot?

Here's another screenshot provided to me by JStyrker, this when he first came to me about this issue:

6Yw3zKp.png

It's similar to the one he provided above, but without him dismantling his troops or improvements.

If the math is too hard for you, I'll try to explain it.

JStryker had 7999.99 infra, with each infra level costing $626.77 per day. This means that he should be paying $5,014,153.73 per day. Simple, right? By your estimates, JStryker should be paying 20 days worth of bills PLUS interest. However, if you look at the pre-interest figures, the infra bill is at $250,707,686.62.

Gee, I wonder how many days that's worth. Oh, I know, I'll use division!

$250,707,686.62 / 5,014,153.73 = 49.99999999999 (or 50)

Do the math for all other bill payments. For wonders, 4,250,000/(5000*17) = 50. The Aircraft bill, 800,000/(200*80) = 50.

He's was charged with 50 days of bills. Not 20. 50.

This is a bug, not something in JStryker's imagination. He's not complaining about the interest (although you should look into that), but something that went wrong with the game. Don't dismiss his concerns, look into them >_>

Issue: Overcharged on bills and tax penalties whilst in inactive mode
Number of days inactive: 20

Evidence: 
1. Bills - I've been charged for 50 days, bills are capped at 25 days (ref: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?/topic/120202-inactivity-mode-had-to-pay-bills/
jR59C7K.png
2. Tax penalties - I've been given a tax penalty for 49 unpaid bill days - 

qGqVfpc.png

Result: As I was only made aware of this today, I had to sell down from 7,999.99 to 1,999.99 infra to pay off the bills

Compensation sought: Cash worth 6000 infra purchase cost, + cash to compensate for the extra days in bills and tax penalty

The images provided show the "Pay Bills" and the "Collect Taxes"  pages that prove the claims above.

Thanks!

^ I adjusted the code on OP's post so that it may be viewed as images on this thread.

In image 1 (bills payment page) - days since last bill payment = 50 days

In image 2 (taxes) - there is a penalty for bills unpaid for 49 days

In addition, if you look at the cost of infra (in image 1), it's $250 mil. He had 8k infra. My nation has 12k infra and my infra bill is $8mil a day. Safe to say his infra bill would be less than that. So if it was $5mil a day, it adds up to $250mil for a 50 day bill.

Additional note: $8mil x 25 =  $200 mil infra cost bills in my case if I went inactive. In his case, it would have to be much less.

EDIT: pah, just look at Belisarius's calculations :P

Edited by Dragonshy

That's unadulterated nonsense. Your contention that JStryker did not pay the bills for the time he was inactive is not true. It simply is not true. Did you even look at his screenshot?

Here's another screenshot provided to me by JStyrker, this when he first came to me about this issue:

It's similar to the one he provided above, but without him dismantling his troops or improvements.

If the math is too hard for you, I'll try to explain it.

JStryker had 7999.99 infra, with each infra level costing $626.77 per day. This means that he should be paying $5,014,153.73 per day. Simple, right? By your estimates, JStryker should be paying 20 days worth of bills PLUS interest. However, if you look at the pre-interest figures, the infra bill is at $250,707,686.62.

Gee, I wonder how many days that's worth. Oh, I know, I'll use division!

$250,707,686.62 / 5,014,153.73 = 49.99999999999 (or 50)

Do the math for all other bill payments. For wonders, 4,250,000/(5000*17) = 50. The Aircraft bill, 800,000/(200*80) = 50.

He's was charged with 50 days of bills. Not 20. 50.

This is a bug, not something in JStryker's imagination. He's not complaining about the interest (although you should look into that), but something that went wrong with the game. Don't dismiss his concerns, look into them >_>

First, you need to get off your high horse.

No where was it stated that JayStryker would only be charged 20 days worth of bills. Before he went inactive his last bill payment was 3/8/2014. He then went inactive for ~20 days and upon his return the game automatically changed his last bill payment (without any cost to him) to 3/29/2014 to accommodate the time that he was inactive. He still has to pay his bills from 3/29/2014 moving forward, which happened to be 50 days at the time of the screenshot, there's no getting around that. If I need to explain further let me know but do watch your tone.

BTW, there is no cap on bills.

This is the information as given in the Nation Information page regarding Inactive Mode:

Inactivity Mode - Starting 2/7/2014 nations that do not login for 30 days will be placed into inactivity mode: 

• Nations will be removed from all aspects of the game at 30 days inactivity and will be placed into inactivity mode. Activity is measured by logging into the game No one will be able to interact with the inactive nation or view it.
  • Once a player logs back into the game their nation will be automatically restored for them back to a mostly last seen state.
  • Wonders, improvements, land, infrastructure, technology, etc.. will remain as the player left it. (If your moon/mars wonders expire while you are gone, they'll just expire)
  • Bills will be adjusted to omit the days that your nation was inactive. (You won't be charged for the days that you are inactive)
  • Taxes get reset to the same date that your nation was restored. (No back collecting)
  • All existing trades, wars, foreign aid, and spy operations will be deleted when you enter inactivity mode.
  • Last wonder purchase date gets reset to the date that the player exits inactivity mode.
  • No new offensive wars (defensive wars can be declared on you immediately) and no foreign aid (sending or receiving) for 7 days after exiting inactivity mode.
  • Nations may not exit war mode for 10 days after exiting inactivity mode.
  • Alliance managers and any other powers that were granted to you within your alliance will be automatically revoked. Nations return to the game as regular alliance members.
  • All nations that were deleted due to inactivity on or before the inactivity mode was implemented on 1/14/2014 will not be restored.
  • If a player does not wish to request a nation sitter or if they will be gone for an extended time they may request a member of the moderation team to place them into inactivity mode manually. Logging into your nation after inactivity mode has been set will put your nation back into an active state.
  • Any penalties and settings for inactivity mode are subject to change while your nation is in an inactive state. 

This is the relevant part:

• Bills will be adjusted to omit the days that your nation was inactive. (You won't be charged for the days that you are inactive)

So which is it? You said JStryker needs to pay for the 50 days (including the days he was inactive), but the page says otherwise. So either you need to clarify the language in that page to make it clear for everyone what's going on or you are currently mistaken. Regardless, you do need to clarify what's going on.

So which is it? You said JStryker needs to pay for the 50 days (including the days he was inactive), but the page says otherwise. So either you need to clarify the language in that page to make it clear for everyone what's going on or you are currently mistaken. Regardless, you do need to clarify what's going on.

Please re-read my responses here. He is not paying bills for the days he was inactive but he is still responsible for his back bills that he had BEFORE he went inactive. Back due bills don't just go away because someone goes inactive, that would be a big loophole.

JStryker's last bill payment was March 8th, and he existed in the game until April 26th (source: stats downloads).  That's 49 days of unpaid bills before he got booted into inactivity mode.

The day he re-activated his nation (May 17) became day 50.

He gets charged for bills between March 8th and April 26th (49 days), as well as May 17 (1 day), but not for bills between April 27th and May 16th.

"Inactive" as quoted above refers to "inactivity mode" (ie. April 27-May 16), not "days your nation existed but you weren't checking it" (ie. March 27-April 26).

JStryker's last bill payment was March 8th, and he existed in the game until April 26th (source: stats downloads).  That's 49 days of unpaid bills before he got booted into inactivity mode.

The day he re-activated his nation (May 17) became day 50.

He gets charged for bills between March 8th and April 26th (49 days), as well as May 17 (1 day), but not for bills between April 27th and May 16th.

"Inactive" as quoted above refers to "inactivity mode" (ie. April 27-May 16), not "days your nation existed but you weren't checking it" (ie. March 27-April 26).

Thank you Gopherbashi for explaining it better than I was able. Belisarius, glad we're on the same page now. :)