UN Security Council Discussion

Triyun

"We would like to ask the Athenian Federation to not conduct verbal attacks against our nation's honour. Japan's activities in regards of the Order of Island Nations are in no way an act of being a mouth piece of Tianxia, but have solely been handled as an affair of Japan and His Imperial Majesty Yuan Jia, in his position as Emperor of Japan. Now, just because South america has seen a lot of instability, due to the recent war waged against Imperial forces by the Republica, the fact that only one nation is left in the region does not mean we can take away their seat. By such logic we'd be taking away the seat of the American Commonwealth, should their canadian neighbours disintegrate. This is hardly acceptable. And just because the seat was left unadressed at the outset of the UN, because no UN member was part of Oceania back then, this does not mean we cannot appoint one now, when there is."

-Katsura Kaede, permanent representative of Japan

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tierra del Fuego would be representative of a minuscule population and not even a double digit percentage of the South American continent in size. In our opinion a better balance is achieved by including Central America into this seat to have some contesting in the form of Tikal"

"All African states except Athens combined do not constitute a double digit percentage of Africa either. How about we redefine Africa to include Tikal, so that this issue is solved? Geographical boundaries are clear and we do not want to move them. This argument is a bad joke, in which Athens seems to change from arguing about counting states and counting people, changing between the two as it sees fit. It blockades Oceanian representation for no good reason, having the enormously large region that ranges from Persia all the way to Polynesia represented by one seat and the Tianxian permanent seat, while Europe's rather limited but more balkanised setting somehow deserves more votes and South america should be redefined so that up to now outside powers be allowed to dominate a region. If Athens thinks such an argument that contradicts itself and which obviously is only being made due to Athenian opposition of the Tianxia Imperial Commonwealth, as Athens itself remarked before rather clearly, that this argument will be seen as acceptable or that it will be construed as anything other than anti-Imperial passive aggressiveness, then I would kindly disagree. Athens is going out of its way to make thinly veiled attacks against Tianxia and its more loyal allies, this however is not the forum for that and we would thus request Athens to stop the farce, which in no way promotes peace or stability."

"Indeed Africa likewise does not reach the level at which it could be reasonably represented on a Security Council level and why the committee we proposed would most likely conclude a shift was proper there as well. Geographic boundaries are not clear and they have always been subject to debate and cultural definitions at the time. If anything they go with the winds of politics at the time. We can see the merit of including people, we can also see how the number of states in a region would establish a need for representation on a global level. South America has been controlled by outside forces for half a decade now, Tikal is no more foreign to it than Japan or Tianxia. Furthermore with only five states in that massive area the permanent seat for Tianxia and the non-permanent one already consists of nearly half the amount of states and a large majority of the population in that area being represented here. No other continent can say they match those numbers."

This seems purely like a transparent attempt to redraw geography to play power politics.  I'm going to have to say no.

It should be beneath the dignity of those with good taste and a spirit of cooperation, instead we've had to listen too what I must say much to my profound sorrow, chagrin, and disappointment coming off as knee jerk resentment and sophomoric jealousy unbecoming of Athens formerly much more dignified and level headed approach to foreign policy and dialogue.  Perhaps future discussions of reform cannot start from the point of insulting and hating others. 

"Given that it is up for regional members of the UN to appoint a Security council representative, not the Security Council, we would think that due to lack of competition, Tierra del Fuego would now be a member of the Security Council."

This seems purely like a transparent attempt to redraw geography to play power politics.  I'm going to have to say no.

It should be beneath the dignity of those with good taste and a spirit of cooperation, instead we've had to listen too what I must say much to my profound sorrow, chagrin, and disappointment coming off as knee jerk resentment and sophomoric jealousy unbecoming of Athens formerly much more dignified and level headed approach to foreign policy and dialogue.  Perhaps future discussions of reform cannot start from the point of insulting and hating others. 

OOC: Did he say that third sentence all in one breath?

"Given that it is up for regional members of the UN to appoint a Security council representative, not the Security Council, we would think that due to lack of competition, Tierra del Fuego would now be a member of the Security Council."

"On the contrary, there must be competition of at least one other nation as the seat is non-permanent."

"There is no such clause and it is not intended as such. The seat is non-permanent by being open to any contester that may arise. In contrast to a permanent seat which is not up for contest at all and which enjoys veto power. The fact that we are the sole country eligible for sending a representant should not disqualify us from being represented. This is nonsense."

"There is no such clause and it is not intended as such. The seat is non-permanent by being open to any contester that may arise. In contrast to a permanent seat which is not up for contest at all and which enjoys veto power. The fact that we are the sole country eligible for sending a representant should not disqualify us from being represented. This is nonsense."

"There is no such clause that guarantees a seat to a nation without competition either. Perhaps Japan should strive to work with members of dissenting opinion instead of claiming "nonsense" and getting agitated every time there is a disagreement."

"Our seat is not 'guaranteed' by any clause, it is solely not disputed as of the moment. Thus, our country is a member of the Security Council, elected by 100% of the regional vote. It needs not be guaranteed via clause as long as regional arrangements do not change. The Prussian argument is nonsense and it will not be called by us by anything other than what it truely is. We do not strive to compromise in a debate where the other side cannot even properly grasp the logic of an argument."

A guarantee of a South America seat is actually written competition is not so the Prussian representative should mind their manners before insulting a fellow council member. The Prussian is behaving beneath the dignity of this body which I'll remind you is an international forum not a cable news show.

Entering the UN Security Council chambers in a formal capacity for only the second time in her history as Poland's UN Special Ambassador, Hannah Powolzcski seemed to stroll as confident as ever. The confident walk was far from a swagger, more so that of an individual who seemed to have a grasp on what she was doing more than anything. Having been informed that there were ears willing to listen, she jumped at the opportunity provided to speak. Trailed by a few aides that would remain outside the lights over the tables, she took an open seat and nodded when she was formally introduced again to the council.

She looked around the Council, before speaking in an even tone, "I would like to first personally, and on behalf of my nation, thank my fellow representatives for allowing permission for me to speak at this venue, and use it as a stage that could perhaps find a lasting peace in Europe in."

"As this conflict seems to continue to expand and evolve in Northern Europe, it is the belief of the Polish government that the longer that it goes on, the more stubborn it will be to resolve it. Although I cannot speak in a representative capacity for the Greater Sith Empire, I believe that if a positive response can be found to this initial offer by Poland, the deal can be slowly expanded to encompass their Empire. I believe that settling this conflict before it deepens any further is in the best interests of all nations involved, and the region as a whole," stated Powolzcski, in a firm manner.

"From what I have gathered from discussions here, it seems that the belief by our adversaries that pushing Poland's forces back to its borders will be the only way to achieve peace, and that it will settle this conflict. This is an ill-conceived notion, and it would be dangerous to assume that it works in a long term schematic of peace in Europe, it will only create animosity and probably create a large nationalistic cadre. Most voices on this council have expressed the need for a long term solution to the issues that brought this war to a head, and I believe that we can come to an agreement without further bloodshed."

"What Poland presents is a comprehensive peace plan that would require not only bilateral cooperation, but also multilateral cooperation to enforce and achieve. The Fourth Republic of Poland is prepared to institute a regime of reasonable and non-debilitating reparations to Prussia for damages in the war, but this comes with stipulations that we can expand upon. The terms of the peace I am proposing are fairly straightforward, and somewhat flexible, but I'm unsure of my nations' ability to accept much less than what we are proposing here," she stated, taking a sip of water from a glass before looking around the room.

"First and foremost, the Fourth Republic of Poland will ask that any tariffs levied against Polish imports or exports through the Baltic port of Danzig will be waived. These goods are not being sent to Prussian stores, or are touching Prussian hands, and therefore should not be subject to Prussian taxation for their movement. What will be paid, are increased dock fees at the port, to ensure that some losses of revenue are recouped. If Prussia feels that it will need to expand its port facilities in Danzig to accomodate increased Polish shipping as a result, the Polish government will help fund such a project. Furthermore, we would request that an oil and natural gas pipeline will be built to import such fuels into Poland, which will be paid for by public and private Polish funding.

"Secondly, we request that a demilitarized zone, twenty kilometers wide, is set up along a major route to Danzig, to ensure the free flow of traffic and provide a measure of safety for one of Poland's most important thoroughfares to the sea. The DMZ will be nominally patrolled by Prussian police forces, and will only be crossed across by large Prussian military convoys along certain designated routes with proper warning given first. Moreover, we request that a security regime is set up by the United Nations to administer the territory for five calendar years to support this measure and ensure it is enforced properly. After these five calendar years are up, the UN forces administering can leave once a measure of trust has been allowed to foster good European relations once again."

"In the spirit of renewing and fostering cooperative European security, Poland requests this term, not as a concession, but as a business deal in an effort to further contribute to collective European defense and security. We request a twenty-five year, non-cancelling lease on a plot of land, ten square miles, along the shore in the relatively uninhabited areas northwest of Danzig for a base that will become home port to the Polish Navy. This base will be paid for annually by the Polish government for these twenty-five years, and will be considered property of Poland for that time, but subject to Prussian law should any infractions effect local citizenry. Access to this base by land, air, and sea will be guaranteed, although major movements of forces, particularly by land, will be made aware to the Prussian government in advance."

"As I'm sure this third clause will be perhaps the most controversial, I will gladly go further in depth into our thinking on the matter, and I would advise against wholesale rejection of it altogether before hearing Poland out on it."

"The sanctity of this peace deal will be sealed by a binding United Nations Security Council resolution that will immediately bring sanctions against any party that breaks it. Furthermore, it will allow the UN Security Council the ability to immediately use whatever means necessary to bring both sides back to the peace table, including use of force by a multinational coalition if necessary. This term, as part of the deal, is non-negotiable to us. This will ensure that both sides have less incentive to break the deal and that sides will more likely resort to a diplomatic course of action."

"We believe that this is a deal that all of our sides can walk away from feeling relatively satiated in their requests. I have the ability to accept additional terms added to Poland's, if any country so chooses to ask that they are imposed, and I will gladly hear them out. I believe there is a chance for peace to be fostered here today."

"Conditional on Prussian approval the Athenian Federation finds this proposal acceptable with one minor exception. Any UN force would need to consist of solely European elements. Eliminating the warring parties this would leave Russia and Sweden as the most stable elements"