Best Resources Set

Professional

As usual, Veritas knows what he's talking about ;) Do the math, and you can usually tell what's best for your nation. I made an excel spreadsheet a while back that makes it a little easier to compare resource sets. It can be downloaded here. I found that as a young nation (when I made most of my income on tech deals), I used the 8 bonus set (although I wasn't getting scholars yet) to reduce the cost of tech. Once I gave up tech selling and started tech buying, I switched to the industrial set.

I'd agree that going with all pop boosters is useful to get new improvements (though the optimal industrial one gives almost all pop boosters anyway [1.24 vs 1.29 pop boost]).

You're right, of course. But just to nitpick:

Agriculture gives: 30.56% population boost

Industrial (5 bonus/auto build) gives: 26.15% population boost.

Just remember, like-improvements are additive, everything else is multiplicative.

5 clinics = 10%

5 clinics & Fish = 1.10 * 1.08 = 18.8%

You're right, of course. But just to nitpick:

Agriculture gives: 30.56% population boost

Industrial (5 bonus/auto build) gives: 26.15% population boost.

Just remember, like-improvements are additive, everything else is multiplicative.

5 clinics = 10%

5 clinics & Fish = 1.10 * 1.08 = 18.8%

I was just counting the resource boost, not the boost + improvements and the wonder.