question on soldiers/working citizens

Wolfae

I'm told to have 25% of my total population in soldiers, which required me to keep doing math over and over again to get a precise 25%.. Although I found that a precise 25% is impossible due to the game not letting me decom 1 soldier, because I just decommed 2....... I also noticed that my working citizens started to decrease..... Usually I went by 30% of my working citizens. Of course now I'm told to go by 25% of total supporters, which include soldiers.... I was just wondering what is the most economic percentage to go by, since I lose working citizens?

Edited by Wolfae

I'm told to have 25% of my total population in soldiers, which required me to keep doing math over and over again to get a precise 25%.. Although I found that a precise 25% is impossible due to the game not letting me decom 1 soldier, because I just decommed 2....... I also noticed that my working citizens started to decrease..... Usually I went by 30% of my working citizens. Of course now I'm told to go by 25% of total supporters, which include soldiers.... I was just wondering what is the most economic percentage to go by, since I lose working citizens?

As few soldiers as you can

The less soldiers you have, the more citizens you have. You can decom all your troops and self anarchy and you will have more citizens because of it. However, I have found that you do take a penalty for having your soldier count too low.

The reason you're told to do 25% is for 2 reasons. It offers you a little extra padding in case you're raided so you're not immediately thrown into anarchy. It also doesn't harm your collections all that much. However, 25% really doesn't do much as you need to have be knocked below 20% soldiers to be anarchied. Take into consideration your nation is at the stage most likely to be hit by tech raiders. So since you're maxing out on tech deals and doing long improvement swaps I would sell as many soldiers without anarchy to maximize profits on your collection day, then buy max soldiers for bill pay. But that's just me. It comes down to security and you get what you pay for.

Caladin, you would find 25% in older guides for the reasons I explained above.

I've been under 20% before after an infra buy before (not from decomming), and income penalties for not having enough soldiers.only apply when you're below 20% of citizens in [i]effective[/i] soldiers.  That's the number in parentheses that includes multipliers from resources, barracks, GCs, etc.

I've been under 20% before after an infra buy before (not from decomming), and income penalties for not having enough soldiers.only apply when you're below 20% of citizens in effective soldiers.  That's the number in parentheses that includes multipliers from resources, barracks, GCs, etc.

Yeah this is true as well.

You can get a significantly lower than 20% if you are willing to self anarchy, though.