How to calculate individual income - What am I doing wrong ?

angelheart

Trying to calculate (future) income I found the formula mentioned in the wiki

1a719006604e64d09853000.png

Now according to my status I currently have

*Avg. Gross Income Per Individual Per Day: $203.38

*Population Happiness : 30.82

*Banks : 5

*Foreign Ministry : 1 

*Event : Citizen income +$2.50.

So the above formula would be (disregarding the event) 

203.38 = [30+ (2*30.82) + X] * 105/100 * 135/100

The problem is that doing the math above, you find that X=52.05 which cannot be correct, so I am obviously doing something wrong, or have the wrong formula.

Any thought (or guidance) would be appreciated 

Edited by angelheart

Income = (30 + (2 * 30.82) + 2.5) * (1.07)5 * 1.05 * 1.01 * (1.05)5 + (1.08)2
Income = (30 + (2 * happiness) + bonus) * (Five banks) * (Foreign Ministry) * (Harbour) * (Five schools) * (Two Universities)
Income = $179.87

I imagine that the difference is due to:

• Inaccuracies in the formula (Not sure if it's correct or not - just saying)
  • 1 Happiness is not actually worth $2 - it's a ballpark figure, as its income value varies
  • There may be other factors involved
Edited by Horo the Wise Wolf

Thanks for the input.

You are both right. I have done the math without the School/University/Harbor impact. So the *updated* results are

203.38 = [30+ (2*30.82) + X] * 105/100 * 135/100 * 116/100 * 125/100 * 101/100 which, if you solve for X makes X=6.47.

Now 2.5$ is the event, so I am still missing something (6.5-2.5 = 4$ to be precise).

To be exact I *SOMEWHERE* make 4$ that I can't find. Now could it be the Uranium ?

Thanks again

EDIT : Quote from the wiki

"...If a nations government preference favors nuclear technology for the use of nuclear power plants but does not support nuclear weapons then
the nation will receive +$3.00 per citizen and +$0.15 for every level of tech purchased up to level 30 but loses -1 population happiness..."

Edited by angelheart

...so I checked my "Government positions" and found out that in the matter of the Nuclear non-proliferation treaty (question #2) I opted for A which in terms of income is wrong. I changed to B and

*Avg. Gross Income Per Individual Per Day became $213.88 instead of $203.38

*Population Happiness : became 29.58 instead of 30.82

So the *UPDATED ONCE MORE* formula is now

213.88 = [30+ (2*29.58) + X] * 105/100 * 135/100 * 116/100 * 125/100 * 101/100 which, if you solve for X makes X= 13.86

Now 2.5 is the event and Uranium is (3 + 0.15*30)=7.5 which both add up to 10.

I am now missing $3.86

EDIT : by changing the answer to question #2 my population count went from 30100 to 29707. Any thoughts on this ?

EDIT #2 : to answer the above, by changing from A to B on question #2 you loose the +half star effect on environment you already had (A gives half a star). So mine got to 10 (from 9). This explains the population decrease.

Edited by angelheart

It's because 1 happiness is worth $2 citizen income only under certain conditions. You do not currently meet those conditions, so your formula instead becomes:

213.88 = [30 + (Y * 29.58) + 10] ... etc.

Where Y is a value less than 2. I'm sure you know enough algebra to solve. The task of figuring out how Y is determined is up to you.

The formula on the wiki is a decent first-order approximation. The actual income numbers are more complicated. The above is merely one of the little wrinkles that must be accounted for.

Thanks for the input

What u say makes sense, but by saying "You do not currently meet those conditions", you imply (or maybe I see it that way) that the multiplier *2* for happiness is under circumstances less than 2, thus decreasing income.

I do NOT say otherwise, but I actually make ~$4 in bonuses MORE than calculated. So somehow I make an extra $4 in bonuses without knowing how, or I/we have the wrong formula, or Y (following you here) can under circumstances be higher than 2.

Problem is that I (so far) have not found anything mentioned towards Y being less/more than 2 though (said it before but never mind) it seems logical. 

Thanks again.

or Y (following you here) can under circumstances be higher than 2.

This is also correct -- my econ knowledge is lacking and outdated, but I believe it can max out at 2.88 or some shit like that (tech level and other factors) .. Not sure the exact number, but it can get over 2 ..

Y represents the base income value of happiness. This is then modified by the Harbor, Foreign Ministry, School, Bank, and University improvements. If you just take direct happiness to income, then the value of one happiness can be greater than two, but the above formula already takes that into account.

You can confirm that Y is less than 2 by temporarily changing DEFCON, and comparing incomes and happiness before and after. If you have $213.88 (modified) income with 29.58 happiness in DEFCON 5, you should expect something like $211 (modified) income with 28.58 happiness in DEFCON 4. If it was exactly 2, then the modified income would be $209.73.