Strengthening Pan-Francism

Evangeline Anovilis

It was just the day after the ball at Randgriz. While her Highness returned to Charlottenbourg, together with Charlotte (who was tasked with entertaining the princess, as well as to take care of all official matters of the state, together with Lisette, until the Senechal was to return), Lieselotte took a different flight. Instead of Charlottenbourg, her destination was further north, the colonial capital of Nouvelle-France, Nouvelle-Orleans.

Lieselotte stared at the sheet of clouds, lying underneath the wings, white and reminiscent of flying wool it hid the Caribbean sea. It was a white reminding her of her sister at home in her white dresses. Sometimes it seemed Lisette was just always trying to make up for Lieselotte. She was way nicer, more collected and had a more joyful aura around her. As she thought about Lisette, the plane began to descent and as soon as it scrapped at the sea of clouds it was already inmidst of them. When they left the white layer of condensed water, Nouvelle-Orleans was already visible.

As the plane lowered its altitude, coming nearer to the ground, one could see the various people and vehicles, then the town stopped and the runway came. The tires touched the asphalt, the brakes set in, the propellers shovelled backwards. The Ju-02 set everything to decreasing its velocity from the fliht and after about 800 metres of runway, it really stopped and was led by the airport personal to the parking position.

Lieselotte received her luggage in the terminal, after undergoing various security checks. The state was still not completely at rest and with its neighbours looking over the borders like this, it was no surprise. As the Princess had left with the government-owned plane, she had to use the regular flight, but now that she arrived in the French colony, a car was provided by the military mission, sent from Biloxi to bring LLieselotte to the chairwoman of the Revolutionary Party, Simone.

Nouvelle-Orleans had changed a great deal from the various regimes which had occupied the city over the years. However this was the first time when direct French influence had returned and Simone made sure to build the capital up into a city that would have no rivals across the Gulf and for that matter, all of North America. Since the Revolution in the Gulf Federation, the continent had change significantly in favor of France. While there had been rumors, as there always were, that the other nations of the Western Hemisphere were preparing an invasion of French territory to uproot the Europeans, the Americans themselves had only divided their alliances further. Canada, the gluttonous blob now extended from the North Pole almost to the Gulf of Mexico. The nation was the height of decadence and Simone believed it would not take much to begin turning the nations of the Americas against Canadian Expansion with the outcome being limited French movement. Furthermore, France had regained several allies, Vicidalia was now firmly in Paris' camp and as one of the more vocal nations of the continent. The French Culture now had flexibility and power, something Simone hoped to exploit further with her new allies.

After the ball in Gallia, she requested the Senechal of Vicidalia, Lieselotte, to come to Nouvelle-Orleans to continue their discussions from Martinique. The Chairwoman hoped that these talks would be less heated and more geared towards friendship and the continual expansion of the Francophonie. Lieselotte's town car, upon entering Nouvelle-Orleans, was guided to Gallier Hall which served as the Chairwoman's temporary residence. A small lunch had been prepared for both of the leaders, and when the Senechal would be brought in, Simone was just sitting down to a bowl of soup that simmered with spice and smoke.

"Ah, Lieselotte, you made it just in time. Please," she gestured at the open chair in front of her. "Sit. Have you heard Canada has continued their expansion southward?"

Lieselotte took a seat. This time, she was dressed in light colours and had again a rather normal appearance. In contrast however to Martinique, where this was a measure to keep the meeting a secret, this time, it was just to keep away other guests in the plane. And lately it wasn't the best idea to go into public without security. At least, this time, there was an alliance already on the table and a few weeks of free time afterwards. "Bon Jour Simone. Hmmm, yes, Canada is moving southward as ever. But as I see the people of Quebec under their rule, I think their expansion will just serve our cause. After all, now it is one less country to invade, in order to recover French lost land." With a mischievious smile Lieselotte imagined the map of North America. Somehow, it had always been one of her talents to imagine locations and maps. "How much do you think it will need to free Quebec?"

"I admire your audacity as usual, Lieselotte, but that the moment I would rather not force a war in North America. New France is still building up militarily and we want to test the diplomatic waters again before possibly creating a war that we are unable to win. Especially considering that the expansion of the Francophonie means cutting through a massive amount of North America. When this happens we need to be ready and economically prepared for a potentially long war. The Gulf Federation, Norway, those battles were small, easily fought against an untrained enemy. Our men for all purposes are still untried on the battlefields against great nations."

Her spoon clanked gently against the side of her bowl as she wiped her mouth with a napkin. "But what is the reason you requested this visit? Just continuing our talks of the alliance before, or is something troubling you?"

"My, my, the live of a Senechal is always a troubling one. But I don't think that is news to the Chairwoman of Revolutionary France. No, the primary reason I came here was [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=107558&view=findpost&p=2882087"]your letter[/url] I recieved back when this colony was established. After all, we agreed to establish a Joint High Command for our armed forces, to be able to better use our limited forces." Lieselotte took out a folder from her small suitcase. "I already prepared the necessary documents for Vicidalia to do its part. Other than that, Vicidalia is only concerned on maintaining its own sphere of influence. As you may know, Peru is in a civil war-like state, they may soon adapt a government more friendly towards Vicidalia. However, we are fearing the loss of our influence by the establishment of New Panama." The name New Panama, only used after a short pause, was spoken out in great disgust. "Those pesky upstarts really go and put an end to Vicidalian ambitions in the region. Of course, I will not ask France to deal with this, as long as we are still giving them a chance diplomatically. After all, this is our domestic problem. The only time I would ask for French help would be if they completely refuse to deal with us, or worse, injure the diplomat. We especially sent Princess Henrietta to negotiate with them. she is Her Highness younger sister, but a wise and quite competent person. I trust her to bring home results."Lieselotte lost herself in thoughts for a mement, then continued. "Maybe both of you will meet sometime in the future. Mais, mon Dieu, now I lost myself in our regional problems. So, what do you suggest for our military organisation and plans? Maybe we find something where our forces can get some training."

"Ah yes!" Simone said lightly chuckling and shaking her head. "Damn my own mind that I couldn't even remember about the contents of the letter." The Chairwoman listened as Lieselotte continued with her concerns that seemed to turn into more of a rant when she mentioned New Panama and the new internal affairs in South America. However she was extremely impressed in the way the Vicidalian Senechal had grown in just a short time. Surely, Lieselotte was always this aggressive, but now her aggression could be fostered against the enemies of France and the eventual expansion of the Grand Principality.

"If your nation is threatened, Lieselotte," Simone began, "The Commune will be there to help, that won't be an issue. If Vicidalia is in trouble, you can expect our support will be there. However, I would warn against wars that we may not be able to handle at the moment. There is talk in the Commune about the potential to start moving towards Africa and the collapsing states in the West, along with a nation nation that has just arisen around Lagos. They're Francophonie, despite that a majority of their territory belonged to the English during previous ages. As to North American problems, New Panama is between both the Lunar Republic and New Spain, both of which are friendly with either France or Vicidalia, they wouldn't dare risk a war and we have to also keep Canada contained. With all this going on, I would say it would be intelligent to create a Joint French-Vicidalian base in Port-au-Prince. We can train our armies and our navies using the Caribbean as our personal swimming pool. It can be co-commanded by both a French officer and a Vicidalian officer to ensure equality.

But anyway I can help your nation maintain its power Lieselotte, you only need to ask."

"Thanks. I value our alliance highly and your help will be appreciated. Altough I agree and Vicidalia shall not start wars unwinable for the Francophonie." Lieselotte giggled slightly. "Otherwise we would not wait for diplomacy in the Panaman matter. Divide and conquer, New Panama is isolated and as long as they are not giving in, I will pull all strings to keep it that way. Hmmm, I'd ask for diplomatic support though, if it is alright with the Commune."

Lieselotte opened the folder. In it were biographies, troop compositions, weapon schematics, plans, in short, it seemed to be a compendium of the most important military matters of Vicidalia. While she skimmed through it, she kept talking. "A base in Port-au-Prince sounds fine. I will send one of my officers there. They will also carry the plans of Vicidalia for actions in a war with Canada and North Africa. France can then revisit them, in order to fit with its own plans. " Stopping at one biography, it looked like Lieselotte had found what she looked for. Then she tipped with her right Index finger against the paper and looked up again. "If you plan to move into Africa, may I ask if there are possibilities for our troops to be trained in desert warfare. I hope there is. Because desert is what will await us and mostly desert is what will reward our efforts." In the desert, she thought. Most of the PRA was Sahara and the bits that weren't were maybe Algeria and the coastal region of the Cote d'Ivoire. Hopefully Vicidalian Africa was not just all sands.

"Desert training shouldn't be a problem actually." Simone said after taking sometime to think of the Vicidalian's request. "I realize we have the territory of New Mexico within the boundaries of New France and while it isn't the Sahara, it's at least something."

Having finished the soup, Simone pushed the bowl out in front of her and stood up from her chair. Walking towards the window she stared out at the streets of New Orleans below and clasped her hands behind her back. "What is necessary right now is to hold the balance of power in check. Africa maybe be what we need to get the North Americans off our back, New France is well defended, but in time we will have to continue our movement up the Mississippi. My hopes are that by that time, we will be much stronger and our alliance network will be larger. But we have work to do in binding Vicidalia and France at the hip Lieselotte. Port-au-Prince is open for you of course so whenever your men are ready to begin training, I will dispatch the needed supplies and troops. Beyond that," the Chairwoman said turning, "France will alert Vicidalia of it's movements and I hope you will do the same; especially with these new neighbors of yours." She said smiling ravenously.

Lieselotte encrossed her fingers. "Of course. I will ring the bell as soon as I see action on the horizon.After all, I am as much interested in winning this conflict as you are. Hmmm. But rest assured, we will bring down our foes. I tell you, one by one they shall fall. The only thing we need to watch out for though, is them allying." She looked down. "And our own hubris. Yes, that we also should watch out for. Well, I think, things are settled now, or did I forget something. If not I would take my leave, you can contact me as always, should need be." As she was waiting for the Chairwomans reply, she remembered something. "Ah yes, important enough. For the next three weeks, I am only partially active. My sister, Lisette will coordinate the matters of the Vicidalian crown. I expect no problems in the meantime though."

Simone turned back towards her and nodded. "That won't be a problem, Lieselotte. I doubt anything major will happen in three weeks time anyways. But of something does come up, I'll be sure to inform Madame Lisette about any complications. But to assuage your fears, we have one of the strongest alliance chains in the Americas, New France, Vicidalia and the Commune with their own alliances will be able to repulse anything Canada or New Panama would throw at us. So rest assured, your nation is safe."

She walked over to her and extended her hand. "It was a pleasant lunch I hope we'll have time to meet again in the future. That said, enjoy your vacation Lieselotte."