Sarah's Reflections

Sarah Tintagyl

After the conference was over and the leaders of the countries present had dispersed from the meeting hall, Sarah had stayed back to think. Still holding a glass of wine she walked up the stairs to the roof of the Conference Building to an observation deck that overlooked the city of Brisbane. It was a warm night, so she let her hair down that had been in a tight ponytail and took off the suit jacket and laid it across the bar separating her from the open air down to the city streets. Taking another sip of the wine she placed the glass lightly down on the granite ledge and sighed as she looked out over the city. In all truth she felt like she could fly, her and Nikita had done an amazing job at literally holding the world together and though while there would be problems that would come in the future, a great disaster had been avoided and she couldn't help but smile.

"We finally did it." She said looking up at the sky. "We finally did it Dad." A small tear formed in her eye and she wiped it away with a smile still on her face. "The world isn't going to destroy itself this time over."

Of course there was still much more to be done, the Hansa and most likely the AWS was tasked with making sure that everything in this peace worked like clockwork. She trusted both the ComIntern and the Nords. Deep down she really did believe that leaders wanted the best for their people and for their countries. If they hadn't, well then the world would already have been swept away in a horrible catastrophe. Also deep down she was a bit ashamed of herself that she had resigned from the Nordic Confederacy so soon, she could have enjoyed this peace with them personally, but maybe this was best. They had their own destiny and she had hers and maybe that's what had driven her back to the Pacific time and time again. Sure she had Valkurheim, her golden city of the gods, but it wasn't Brisbane and she had fallen in love with the south, she had even began to tan a little bit. Very lightly, but it was starting to show that she could actually adapt to a new environment. Her destiny was no longer in Europe, though it was definitely tied to it. It was tied to the world.

Did she doubt that peace would last? Of course she did, she doubted that peace could ever come into existence in the first place, so there was hope still and as long as she had hope there would be peace. Sarah still remembered her titles and even though they were just words, she still had a duty to seek peace on Earth and Sarah promised herself that she would seek that to her dying breath.

Finishing her wine she placed the glass to her side and smiled as the door was still slightly ajar. If anyone found their way up to the roof, she would be more than happy to entertain them. After all the night was gorgeous.

brisbane_citynight.jpg

The last of the bags had been packed and final security arrangements were being made for Marc Delgado's drive to the airport and eventually to Valencia. The delegation was a flurry of activity, but Delgado himself stood like the eye of a storm in the midst of it all, quiet and most pensive. Finally stirring, he left the suite, went up a few floors, and found one of the Hanseatic security personnel. "Excuse me, would you mind telling me where I might find Lady Tintagyl?"

"I believe she's on the roof, sir. The staircase is over there."

"Thank you very much. Your men have done an excellent job covering these proceedings. I appreciate it. Please tell them that."

"Thank you Mr. Delgado."

Heading through the service door to the stairs, Delgado paused. She doesn't want to talk to me. I'm just going to annoy her. Still... He pushed open the last door and walked out onto the roof. Seeing Tintagyl leaning against the parapet, he slowly and quietly walked over and stood beside her, a respectful distance away and yet close enough that his quiet question could be heard. "Does it get any easier, Sarah? Sitting in that room, I couldn't figure out why Luis chose me to be Foreign Minister. I made a fool of myself... And after everything was said and done, you managed to get everything with hardly a cross word." Turning to the lady, he repeated, "Does it get any easier?"

Heading through the service door to the stairs, Delgado paused. She doesn't want to talk to me. I'm just going to annoy her. Still... He pushed open the last door and walked out onto the roof. Seeing Tintagyl leaning against the parapet, he slowly and quietly walked over and stood beside her, a respectful distance away and yet close enough that his quiet question could be heard. "Does it get any easier, Sarah? Sitting in that room, I couldn't figure out why Luis chose me to be Foreign Minister. I made a fool of myself... And after everything was said and done, you managed to get everything with hardly a cross word." Turning to the lady, he repeated, "Does it get any easier?"

Sarah turned around a little surprised at her visitor, but not horribly so. Hearing his question she smiled and walked over to take his hand. "It is a harsh world. The world of diplomacy, it is a world of wolves and badgers but I think you did fine Mr. Delgado and it will get easier, like everything does with a little bit of training." She turned back to the ledge and looked out into the city. "We live in interesting times, times of war, times of peace. Times of suffering, times of plenty and as humans we can only adjust to our surroundings. That is what diplomacy is. It is adjustment. We adjusted without killing each other and in the process saved millions of lives. What ever leaders say, about nationalism or pride, it is false. When men die because leaders want to fight. It is wrong. I still can't sleep from what happened in Helsinki, I have blood on my hands. Many leaders are lucky that they do not."

She sighed and took in the warm air. "Always remember that. You are the servant of the people, love them as you love yourself and if you do that. Then war is the most brutal thing possible. My country is my family. I will never let my family die. Take that to heart when you think about Iberia."

Edited by Sarah Tintagyl

Mithlandi headed upstairs and out to the balcony, having a good idea where Sarah would be.

"Well, suprise seeing you two up here."

Sarah smiled at the Atlantian President as he appeared in front of her and the Iberian Foreign Minister. "I didn't know you had been at the Conference Your Excellency, I forgot to say hello I'm afraid. How are things and I hope you've been enjoying yourself?"

Ex-Director Hiley, who had dropped out of the world stage for quite a while, ascended the staircase. Since Sarah had left the cabin he had been a lot more relaxed. Less worrying, less everything, really. He was in a happier mood, and he felt like with more peace on the way he should drop by and tell her she did a good job. Well, she did, honestly. And he hadn't been to Brisbane before, so he thought he might just see the city anyway. But that's beside the point. He felt like telling her a nice job.

"Oi, where's Lady Tintagyl?"

"Up," the guard replied.

"Thanks."

He was still quite a few floors away, but he made it anyway. He got on the rooftop and saw Sarah with two unfamiliar world leaders, and he smiled. Damn, she's good. "Hello, Lady Tintagyl. Congratulations on peace," he said as he walked towards her, Mithlandi and Delgado.

He was still quite a few floors away, but he made it anyway. He got on the rooftop and saw Sarah with two unfamiliar world leaders, and he smiled. Damn, she's good. "Hello, Lady Tintagyl. Congratulations on peace," he said as he walked towards her, Mithlandi and Delgado.

"Ah Mr. Hiley, glad to see you. Though you were another person that I don't believe I saw down in the Conference Hall." Sarah walked over to him and gave him a tight hug, though watched any more show of affection in the public eye. "But yes, we have peace, at least for now. The world has finally been able to come together as a family for once and I don't think we can expect any less. We've all done a great thing here. I can only pray that it lasts. But it will, people don't want to see the world die." She chuckled. "Normally I would say that would put you out of business, as the Merchant of Death, but you've given up that life haven't you? Someone must have convinced you." She flung her hair as she walked back over to the ledge.

Kevin Holihan, Imperator of his country and object of affection from millions of citizens, gazed out across the balcony without much hope. His bleak outlook was shaped by years of political experience eroding against his naturally optimistic attitude. It had been so long since the Imperium had joined the world stage; he couldn't remember what it felt like to go to sleep at night without guilt.

He noticed a group talking and glanced in their direction, noting a few prominent members of government. Sarah Tintagyl was probably trying to promote her unattainable goal of world-peace, he thought sadly to himself. A man with complexion often seen in the Imperium was chatting with her and a North-American man.

'Must be that Spanish representative. Guy has a bit of a temper.' Kevin thought wryly to himself. Almost against his will, he walked over to the group but took up a position a few feet away. He would listen and contribute if asked anything, but nothing more.

Kevin Holihan, Imperator of his country and object of affection from millions of citizens, gazed out across the balcony without much hope. His bleak outlook was shaped by years of political experience eroding against his naturally optimistic attitude. It had been so long since the Imperium had joined the world stage; he couldn't remember what it felt like to go to sleep at night without guilt.

He noticed a group talking and glanced in their direction, noting a few prominent members of government. Sarah Tintagyl was probably trying to promote her unattainable goal of world-peace, he thought sadly to himself. A man with complexion often seen in the Imperium was chatting with her and a North-American man.

'Must be that Spanish representative. Guy has a bit of a temper.' Kevin thought wryly to himself. Almost against his will, he walked over to the group but took up a position a few feet away. He would listen and contribute if asked anything, but nothing more.

When Sarah had first arrived on the roof, she hadn't noticed the man in armor before and when he began to step over towards her entourage she became slightly flustered. It was quite the surprise in all truth. He was quite a large man and his armor made him larger and the Imperator stood in direct contrast to Sarah's frail body. But never to turn a person away from her smile she walked over to the man after the conversation had paused for a bit and welcomed him to Brisbane.

"Sir, I don't believe we've met before." He had to be someone important if he was at the Conference Hall. "Perhaps you know me." Sarah said sticking out her hand. "Sarah Tintagyl, its a pleasure. I don't believe I remember you from the Conference. You are?"

He smiled but the light didn't touch his icy-blue eyes. His gauntlet moved up slowly, clasping her hand in a firm handshake. Kevin was careful not to apply too much pressure; it was already probably uncomfortable to press a hand into cold, unyielding metal. He gave her hand a brief squeeze and let it drop.

"You have not met me before. My name is Kevin Holihan; I represent the Holy Imperium of Man as it's leader." He paused for a second, thinking of what he wanted to say before speaking. "Your work is...admirable, if misguided. I'm sorry to say that I don't believe world peace will ever be possible." He gestured to himself almost whimsically. "People like me are the result of that."

His slight smile faded and he stared deep into her eyes, trying to get a read on whatever Sarah was thinking. "Don't take me wrong; it's a wonderful thing to promote peace. But so long as leaders among men exist, there will be vanity, hatred, war...."

Almost unheard, he whispered. "And anguish..."

Pushing himself away from the balustrade, Delgado addressed himself to the newcomer. "I have to be honest, your words ring true with me. Then again, someone has to stand for the people, if only to show them how to stand for themselves. Surely an armored one such as yourself would know the heritage of the knight errant," he quipped with a slight smile. Checking his watch, he started and said, "My flight is scheduled to leave in half an hour. I might be able to avoid security checks, but I still have to get to the airport. Thank you Sarah for all your help, and I bid all of you a good evening." Hurrying away, he ducked inside the stairwell and was gone, his sense of duty reaffirmed by the words of his companions on that rooftop.

He smiled but the light didn't touch his icy-blue eyes. His gauntlet moved up slowly, clasping her hand in a firm handshake. Kevin was careful not to apply too much pressure; it was already probably uncomfortable to press a hand into cold, unyielding metal. He gave her hand a brief squeeze and let it drop.

"You have not met me before. My name is Kevin Holihan; I represent the Holy Imperium of Man as it's leader." He paused for a second, thinking of what he wanted to say before speaking. "Your work is...admirable, if misguided. I'm sorry to say that I don't believe world peace will ever be possible." He gestured to himself almost whimsically. "People like me are the result of that."

His slight smile faded and he stared deep into her eyes, trying to get a read on whatever Sarah was thinking. "Don't take me wrong; it's a wonderful thing to promote peace. But so long as leaders among men exist, there will be vanity, hatred, war...."

Almost unheard, he whispered. "And anguish..."

"It is a pleasure to meet you Your Excellency." She smiled and as he continued, though her smile faded, her eyes continued to sparkle to give off the necessary array of hope that she had built into her body. "I understand completely where you are coming from. True peace will never come, as much as we'd like to see it, to end the fighting and the strife and the war. But leaders will never understand equality and leaders will never understand what it means to value life. Or at least not all leaders understand this. Those that send men away to the wastes of the world to die in. But someone has to be around to inspire hope, especially when no one else desires it, that is my job Your Excellency and I will do it to the best of my ability."

As he bowed his head, she heard his whisper and Sarah's heart broke hearing his sadness. "Kevin, that is why we must hope. To clear the anguish. I'm sure you have much to be sorry for, I as well. But that is why we have to try and change our world, to prevent this anguish not only to our own hearts, but to our people's hearts as well."

Sarah smiled at the Atlantian President as he appeared in front of her and the Iberian Foreign Minister. "I didn't know you had been at the Conference Your Excellency, I forgot to say hello I'm afraid. How are things and I hope you've been enjoying yourself?"

"Things are fine, My Lady, but I am no longer the President of the Atlantian Federation. Arkantos just won the election. He is an old friend, and he decided to grant my request to stay in Brisbane as the Ambassador to the Hanseatic Commonwealth."

'Me? A Knight? How ironic. One must protect the people to be a knight, not sentence them to death.' A Cold, slightly sneering voice whispered from the back of Kevin's mind. He shook his head as if to clear it and smiled, calling out to the departing man. "The world has no need for heroes; only loyal servants. And only in Death does Duty End."

He turned back to Sarah. "As the Holy Writ says, Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." His voice warmed fractionally above absolute zero as he continued. "The world will always be a cruel place. Until we can all learn to think more of men than so many beans to be expended, war will be inevitable."

Kevin's voice broke for a moment and he cleared his throat. "Things to be sorry for?" He whispered, his voice husky from unshed tears. "I see the faces every night. White, Black, Tan, Asian; all of them. I...don't think anyone who hasn't experienced it knows what it's like. So many people, crying out for help and all you can do is blame yourself."

Edited by Shadowsage

'Me? A Knight? How ironic. One must protect the people to be a knight, not sentence them to death.' A Cold, slightly sneering voice whispered from the back of Kevin's mind. He shook his head as if to clear it and smiled, calling out to the departing man. "The world has no need for heroes; only loyal servants. And only in Death does Duty End."

He turned back to Sarah. "As the Holy Writ says, Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." His voice warmed fractionally above absolute zero as he continued. "The world will always be a cruel place. Until we can all learn to think more of men than so many beans to be expended, war will be inevitable."

Kevin's voice broke for a moment and he cleared his throat. "Things to be sorry for?" He whispered, his voice husky from unshed tears. "I see the faces every night. White, Black, Tan, Asian; all of them. I...don't think anyone who hasn't experienced it knows what it's like. So many people, crying out for help and all you can do is blame yourself."

"And yet, without hope, what is there to live for?"

The diplomat from Alvonia, Federico Clonfero, headed up to smoke. He had had a stressful night, and he was sure to get flak form Markus for signing...but he had a good argument. (OOC: Assume that there's a second door :P /OOC) He walked through the door and there was Sarah, talking with some other diplomats. He put his pack of cigarettes away and approached her. "I am truly sorry for my comments, MiLady...I always had a place in my heart for Italy. Too bad I'll never see my old home again." He sighed. "And how are you, MiLady?"

"To serve the people, that is the one true purpose in life. The Loyal Servant learns to Love the Lash; so the Holy Writ teaches."

"And if I follow not the Holy Writ, but instead the Holy Bible?"

"Then I cannot say anything but my deep belief that to serve the people is a task to never be taken lightly, lest one fall to corruption."

" I do agree that to serve the people is a very glorious and worthy call in life, but it is one that only few have. It should indeed be taken very seriously, and we all know how easy it is to become corrupt when opportunities present themselves."

The conference was a success far beyond what anyone would have dared to believe, but Liska and even Procinctia’s presence was entirely unnecessary. Kiska once told her of the irrelevant representative’s plight, but never did Liska expect to live the experience.

Why was she here? Why did she accept Generalissimo’s ridiculous offer? Appointing a sixteen-year-old schoolgirl administer a country’s diplomacy was questionable. Even if her older sister was Minister of Foreign Affairs, it was too far out of her league. The old man insisted a lack of formal training could be overcome with experience, but this was irresponsible. Liska knew better, but accepted to hold on to something of her sister’s.

Liska had already changed back in her school uniform (not that she would wear something like that to a diplomatic event), attempting to leave the conference unnoticed. She need air and time to figure things out, and who would be on the roof at this hour?

Liska.jpg

Liska Atka, Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs (acting Minister of Foreign Affairs)

She touched his shoulder and smiled at him. "I know what it's like Kevin, I hear their screams and see their tears every night when I go to sleep. I never actually saw Helsinki explode, but it exploded in my heart and in my dreams. They still haunt me to this day and they will haunt me forever. That is the reason that I dream of peace, so that I never have to see my people suffer as they did that terrible day. That is all that keeps me going Kevin is hope and I know that when that is taken away from me that I will have no longer a reason to live. I will fight for what I believe in until the day that I die, I can promise you that. So that anguish can be wiped from the world forever."

She smiled. "Of course that's a pipe dream. I know it won't be gone. But it sure would be nice, wouldn't it?"

The diplomat from Alvonia, Federico Clonfero, headed up to smoke. He had had a stressful night, and he was sure to get flak form Markus for signing...but he had a good argument. (OOC: Assume that there's a second door :P /OOC) He walked through the door and there was Sarah, talking with some other diplomats. He put his pack of cigarettes away and approached her. "I am truly sorry for my comments, MiLady...I always had a place in my heart for Italy. Too bad I'll never see my old home again." He sighed. "And how are you, MiLady?"

Though not done talking with the Imperator, Sarah turned to receive Clonfero into her entourage and smiled softly at his apology. "I am never one to hold a grudge Mr. Clonfero, but you must understand something. War is not helpful to any countries. Even if the Nords were wrong and on some aspects they were. Killing them only causes more hatred. Alvonia is a small nation by all means, I don't mean to belittle you, but you are like the Hansa. As smaller nations we have a duty to remind the giants of the world that they are hurting more than just themselves. If we go down to insulting and pestering then we are no better than the great warmongers and I have no respect for those that seek war about all else."

As he sighed about Italy she laid a hand on his shoulder. "Perhaps one day you will return, maybe even I will be able to help you achieve that dream. If we could make peace, then anything is possible. Things can only get better now. But I am doing quite well, thank you for asking."

" I hope the story of the Atlantian Federation's return to its homeland will encourage and give you hope, Federico. It is possible to return home. Just give it time."

The conference was a success far beyond what anyone would have dared to believe, but Liska and even Procinctia's presence was entirely unnecessary. Kiska once told her of the irrelevant representative's plight, but never did Liska expect to live the experience.

Why was she here? Why did she accept Generalissimo's ridiculous offer? Appointing a sixteen-year-old schoolgirl administer a country's diplomacy was questionable. Even if her older sister was Minister of Foreign Affairs, it was too far out of her league. The old man insisted a lack of formal training could be overcome with experience, but this was irresponsible. Liska knew better, but accepted to hold on to something of her sister's.

Liska had already changed back in her school uniform (not that she would wear something like that to a diplomatic event), attempting to leave the conference unnoticed. She need air and time to figure things out, and who would be on the roof at this hour?

Liska.jpg

Liska Atka, Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs (acting Minister of Foreign Affairs)

Theodore Jameson didn't really have anywhere to go. Really. The borders of his homeland were closed; they were not admitting anyone, soldier or civilian, foreigner or native, inside. He lingered in the meeting room as everyone drifted out. However, he finally decided to head upstairs. At least he could look at the same sky as those at home would be seeing.

When he got up there, he saw a small group of people conversing. he wasn;t sure he wanted to add himself to the crowd, so he drifted inthe opposite direction. However, he did not notice young miss Atka until it was nearly too late. he stopped himself from runneing over her with inches to spare.

"My apologies, miss," the tall, massive black man stated. "I almost didn't see you."

" I hope the story of the Atlantian Federation's return to its homeland will encourage and give you hope, Federico. It is possible to return home. Just give it time."

"Hm." He pondered. "Possibly. Although I highly doubt that the NC is willing to give Alvonia Italy back."