Congo DoE

kitex

The president, Joseph Lumumba stood up before the gathered throngs of people in front of the Presidential Palace. His hands steady and his body language relaxed, Lumumba stepped up to the microphone and began to speak.

While we have remained quite for sometime, the time has come for the people of the Congo to organize and form ourselves into a new nation. We declare ourselves the Democratic Republic of the Congo!

After the Address

Lumumba quietly walked back into the Palace and met with his Minister of Defense, Robert Goodluck.

"How've you been Goodluck?"

"Rather well Mr. President. So, what do I owe this meeting to?"

"I want to check in with the military situation. How many troops to we plan to have total and how many divisions have already been raised?"

"In terms of overall troops, from soldiers to financial teams, we plan to have a total of 1.1 million troops overall. So far, we only have 5 divisions, 2 light infantry, 1 armored, 1 infantry, and 1 airborne division. We are currently engaged in recruiting and training and hope to have three more divisions by the end of the year."

"Good to hear. Keep me updated with the situation."

"Understood."

Edited by kitex

Vice President Rebecca Hardworthy walked from the Presidential Palace and went to the Parliamentary House to meet with Autonomy, a coalition of three major political parties (the People's Democratic Party, the Luba Loyalists, and the Kongo Front) which preferred regional autonomy, with the regions coming together for collective action rather than a centralized state.

Hardworthy walked into the House and took the elevator to the fourth floor, afterward going into a room on the right. In it was the Autonomy representative and head of the Kongo Front Party, Leslie Kennington.

"How are you Vice President?"

"Well. And yourself?"

"Also, well but I really want to get down to business, I have a rather busy schedule."

"Sounds fine to me."

"Autonomy agreed to a national goverment, but only with regards to certain areas, namely military, foreign affairs, and economics. He promised explicitly in talks that we had  before the Declaration of Existence that our communities would be able to police themselves.

There is currently legislation to have a national police force under the control of the Ministry of Justice. It is due to this situation the coalition feels that Lumumba is not holding up his end of the bargin. "

"I can assure you that the President is keeping the agreement in mind. While he is proposing legislation for a national police force, the regions will be able to police themselves up to the agreed upon points."

"This had better be made quite clear to Lumumba. If any of our sovereignty is enfringed upon, we will defend ourselves."

"I don't think that kind of language is necessary nor conductive, in fact-"

"We will defend ourselves. End of story."

Kennington got up and quickly exited the room.

Well, Hardworthy thought, we need to get this situation resolved soon before this whole things blows out of proportion.

Kennington left the Parliamentary House and drove to her own private residence, some 20 minutes away. Once home she emailed the members of Autonomy and said:

It seems that the national government is still going to press on with this national police force. Arguably, they could state that the police doesn't violate the agreement as it is in the interest of national security. However, I think that we need to keep a check on Lumumba and his goals for the nation to ensure our autonomy. What say the rest of you?

From there, Kennington began to contact members in the southern regions of the country to inform them of what the federal government was doing and to inquire as to if they wanted to protest.

The Parliamentary House

Lower Parliament Majority Leader Shriva Verning, head of the nationalist Congo First Party, was sitting in her office having a chat on the phone of Upper Parliament Majority Leader Harry Abake, also of the CFP.

"Well, do you think that we can get this bill on the national police force to pass?" asked Abake.

"Possibly, but while you have the majority, that is not the case for me. I will need at least a couple of votes from one of the ethnic parties. The problem is that the usually vote in a bloc on issues like this. Is there any way we can deal with the situation?"

"It doesn't seem likely at all."

"What about shifiting some money over to one of the ethnic parties?"

"That isn't likely as that would be seen as a bribe. And on top-"

"But if we bribe them and one of them accepts, wouldn't it shatter their coalition?"

"Hmmmm... well, we could potentially do that. I'll set up meetings and see what happens, though I seriously doubt that any of them will accept."

"We can still try."

Upon looking at the note from Autonomy representative Kennington, President of the Kongo Front, Houston Ford was furious. How does this national police force not violate the agreement? This is utterly ridiculous! he thought.

Ford quickly shot back a reply, saying "This National Police Force is utter nonsense! It completely violates the agreement of regional sovereignty. This cannot be hid under an argument of national self-defense as  the police are not part of the military forces of this nation. This needs to be addressed immediately. While I will support certain initiatives such as not having tariffs between regions, I do not and will not support a national police force."

Meanwhile, Harry Abake was on the phone with President of the Luba Loyalists Party, Jay Mobutu, and asked if he would be available in the coming days for a meeting to discuss financial aid to majority-Luba regions. Mobutu refused on the grounds that Lumumba was a traitor to his ethnic group.

• 4 weeks later...

Shriva Verning and Houston Ford met up in the evening to discuss the events that had transpired that day. They met at a small, upscale restaurant, as per usual.

"So, what do you think of this national police bill? I didn't get to read your email today."

"It's quite ridiculous and arguably infringes upon the agreement that the Lumumba government made with the ethnic groups that wanted to remain autonomous. However, we will have to fight this in the Parliament building."

"Hmm... an interesting strategy. No protests or anything of that sort?"

"Well... I want there to be protests, in fact my people are helping to organize a number of protests in the coming weeks."

"But if it goes through, won't people see that as too weak and thus give him a chance to usurp you?"

"...Possibly, but I don't think that that will happen."