Blockades

Yuri Armstrong

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' timestamp='1280005102' post='2387674']
Can you blockade other nations in this game? How does the blockade effect that nation? What is required to set up the blockade? Can you set up a blockade without necessarily starting a war, like the trade federation did in star wars?
[/quote]

Yes, you can blockade other nations in this game.

The blockade(s) reduce the tax collection of the nation up to 5% each until that nation collects. So if a nation was collecting 7,000,000 daily, was 10 days inactive (back collecting or LC swapping) and was attacked and had three (max per day) blockades put on them at 5% each, unless they could break it, they would lose at least 10 million, and more if they were anarchied and had to wait to collect.

To set up a blockade you need at least 5 blockade capable vessels (see http://www.cybernations.net/about_topics.asp#Navy) and your enemy must have no blockade breaking vessels (you can destroy them in navy battles) and at least one navy action slot remaining to blockade with.

No you cannot, in order to set up a blockade you must be at war with the nation.

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' timestamp='1280005102' post='2387674']
Can you blockade other nations in this game?[/quote]

Yes, you can't blockade yourself.

[quote]How does the blockade effect that nation? [/quote]

You lose a percentage of your tax collection for every successful blockade attack, and it cannot be broken without running a blockade breaking attack or collecting taxes.

[quote]What is required to set up the blockade? [/quote]

Battleships, Frigates, Cruisers, Submarines

[quote]
Can you set up a blockade without necessarily starting a war, like the trade federation did in star wars?
[/quote]

No.

E: Gah, I've been ghosted!

Edited by lonewolfe2015

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' timestamp='1280011474' post='2387758']
I think blockades should be set up as a tool of harsh diplomacy. Like the blockade around Cuba in the 60's, a blockade shouldnt' need a war in order to be set up.
[/quote]

Well, if someone blockaded me or tried to blockade me for some political reason, they would find themselves eating nukes.

Hey! How about we set it up so you don't need to be at war to nuke! I mean, it would be an awesome political tool! :P

Although in all seriousness it would be interesting if assuming there are no wars between two alliances, for some political reason if one had a significantly stronger navy the leaders of the alliance could somehow do something that would put, say a max of 5% blockade (total) on every nation in the alliance. Then perhaps another alliance could help break the blockade or enforce it. Would be pretty complex, but interesting if it was set up correctly, perhaps a certain percentage of each nations navy in an alliance could be used by the leaders to set up a blockade. Anyway, that would be for the suggestion box, not to mention it would be absolutely terrible if it wasn't done properly.

Also, sabotage IRS level efficiency is essentially a blockade that can be done without a war of 3.3% - 16.7% each until they collect. Not a very good thing to do to prove a point though :P

Edit: GrammarFail is Fail

Edited by xenon

[quote name='Yuri Armstrong' timestamp='1280011474' post='2387758']
I think blockades should be set up as a tool of harsh diplomacy. Like the blockade around Cuba in the 60's, a blockade shouldnt' need a war in order to be set up.
[/quote]
Sanctions effectively do this. Each color has three senators. Senators can apply sanctions that prevent nations from sending/receiving aid from and/or trading with anyone on the senator's color. No wars necessary.

Edited by Delta1212