Bill Unpayment Restrictions

Gopherbashi

I was just wondering if anyone had a complete list on what things you aren't allowed to do if you don't pay your bills.

As I recall, not paying bills for 3 (5?) days straight means that you won't be able to buy military and send aid. What else is restricted by this?

(I also remember hearing somewhere that you weren't allowed to collect taxes if you didn't pay your bills - it seems counter-intuitive and I'm 99% sure it's wrong, but I'm just looking for some confirmation on this.

From the Cyber Nations Information Index (emphasis mine):
[quote]A nation pays bills on the items and equipment that it has purchased over time including infrastructure, military equipment, improvements, and wonders. Nations are not billed for land or technology. Being up to date on bills means that you have paid your bills within the last 3 days. A nation must remain up to date on their bills in order to perform certain transactions in the game which includes [b]the ability to make purchases of infrastructure, land, technology, improvements, and wonders, the ability to spy on another nation, the ability to purchase all military equipment, and the ability to perform battle attacks (except ground attacks).[/b] The ability to declare war and perform ground attacks is not restricted as a way to allow a nation to wage war in an effort to raid other nations to help pay off bills. A nation that is unable to pay their bills is considered to be in bill-lock. There are a couple of options to get yourself out of bill lock which includes 1) receiving foreign aid from another nation 2) raiding other nations in war 3) adjusting the setup of your nation to change your tax collections and bill payment structures 4) selling off and deleting your nation's assets in order to lower your bills enough to pay them off. If you do not pay your bills for 20 days you will begin to accrue a bill avoidance fee on your income tax collections of 20% at 20 days plus 2% per day after that.[/quote]
What you heard about not being able to collect taxes is incorrect, although if you accumulate a large enough bill avoidance penalty then your daily bills may start to exceed your daily collections.

I'll leave this open in case someone thinks of anything we missed.

[quote name='Tocsii' date='01 April 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1270153061' post='2244255']
From the Cyber Nations Information Index (emphasis mine):

What you heard about not being able to collect taxes is incorrect, although if you accumulate a large enough bill avoidance penalty then your daily bills may start to exceed your daily collections.

I'll leave this open in case someone thinks of anything we missed.
[/quote]
Is the Bill Avoidance Penalty the same as the Interest Charge at the bottom of the Pay Bills screen, or is that a separate impact on your tax collections?

[quote name='Gopherbashi' date='02 April 2010 - 02:33 AM' timestamp='1270172018' post='2244684']
Is the Bill Avoidance Penalty the same as the Interest Charge at the bottom of the Pay Bills screen, or is that a separate impact on your tax collections?
[/quote]
It's a separate penalty that you will only experience if you go over 20 days without paying your bills. It's a lot larger than the interest that shows up on the Pay Bills screen. It should also be factored in when you collect taxes not when you pay bills.

[quote name='Tocsii' date='01 April 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1270172358' post='2244691']
It's a separate penalty that you will only experience if you go over 20 days without paying your bills. It's a lot larger than the interest that shows up on the Pay Bills screen. It should also be factored in when you collect taxes not when you pay bills.
[/quote]

So if you end up with no money, and bills higher than your income, then when you get 20 days behind on bills, your income gets even worse? Ouch.