Carthage Reformed

Sargun II

With the two largest cities in the country in ruins and the majority of the government dead, the Catholic Church, under orders from Pope Benedict XVII, started organizing a proper governmental election. While turnout is expected to be relatively low, it is indeed important to those who reside in the state. The future of the Carthaginian state is now.

Quick Overview

barack%20obama2.jpg

Barack Obama - Born in Kenya, age 48. At a young age his family moved to Gebiv. His father was a Muslim and his mother was a Catholic; he proclaims himself to be a Catholic. As a young man he went to several private schools and eventually became a Constitutional Law professor at Tunisia University (mainly about the constitutions of other nations). He was one of the original authors of the Carthaginian Constitution when he became a Senator from the Carthaginian state. He is considered centre-left by some and a leftist by others, but none claim he leans to the right.

AlanKeyes.jpg

Alan Keyes - Born in South Africa, age 59. His father was a soldier employed in a PMC - he traveled a lot as a young boy. They eventually settled in Gebiv, where he would live for the next thirty years. He studied political philosophy in college and after his life was threatened by an African professor who was enraged by his unwillingness to protest, he moved to Paris for a year. He returned to Gebiv. He is a conservative candidate who believes that religion, specifically Christianity, should guide the soul and the moral decisions of the country.

//OOC:

I did a check and nobody else has had Barack Obama or Alan Keyes as their leader/whatever. :P Just vote and snarky comments about them will be laughed at.

Edited by Sargun

OOC: I'm not sure how you're gonna pull this Catholic Obama thing off without me dying from laughter! Obama's, well pretty much an anti-Catholic. I would be interesting to watch you RP that instead, but your choice.

OOC: He said they were different and that he would likely RP him more of a Catholic than his RL counterpart. At least that is what I've gathered.

OOC: I trust you will RP him a more devout Catholic than he appears to be in RL?
OOC: I'm not sure how you're gonna pull this Catholic Obama thing off without me dying from laughter! Obama's, well pretty much an anti-Catholic. I would be interesting to watch you RP that instead, but your choice.

OOC: I said he calls himself a Catholic, not that he is devout. :] In fact, I'm looking forward to the criticism from the Church on his policies while still calling himself a Catholic.

;)

Edited by Sargun

"The people of North Africa have always been close to Hanseatic hearts since the Great European War, the people of Eastern Spain even more so and it is with a joyous heart that the Commonwealth wishes its allies in Carthage all the best for this election."

-Potentate Hannah Asgeirsson

In Carthaginian elections today a surprising twist was put into a rather normal election. Senator Barack Obama was elected President today by an 20% margin. The vote was clear in who voted for Obama, and some have said that had the cities of Carthage and Gibraltar not been destroyed the margin would have been even greater. Regardless, Professor Alan Keyes has had his strongest showing yet and the perennial candidate might not be a loser for much longer.

In the House today, which has a total of 300 Representatives, a rather strange sort of crew was elected. On the left side of the scale, 78 leftists and 60 centre-leftists were put into seat. While this may compare favorably to the 21 centre-rightists and the 99 rightists, history has shown that rightists are more prone to being able to cooperate within the aprty while leftists and centre-leftists have had internal conflicts. This puts more pressure on the 52 independent centrists, many of who were elected on a slim margin.

With the Senate race in progress leftists scored another victory, with 37 leftists and 20 centre-leftists. The 7 centre-rightsts and 23 rightists were generally hangovers from the year before. The 13 centrists were generally new faces and are considered to be generally weak overall. Whether or not they will succumb to rightist tactics will be seen.

Edited by Sargun