Imperial Announcement

Elrich von Richt

Announcement of the Far Eastern Empire

Over the past few months, the great Far Eastern Empire has been watching the sea, across it's borders. We have spoken to tribal natives, and the free people of the islands of New Ireland, New Britain, and Bougainville. They have told us of their anarchy, and their strife. They have told us of their tribal unrest, and the blood shed at the hands of their ancestrys rivalries. As such, the Far Eastern Empire, by the order of the divine Empress Ae Sook, hereby extends the South Pacific Mandate. As such, the islands of New Ireland, New Britain, Bougainville, and the Solomon Islands are hereby proclaimed a part of the Mandate, and as such are under the administration of the Empire. In expanding this Mandate, and bringing ruling and administration over these territories, we hope to end their anarchy and begin the gradual process of developing this region further. Army engineers, as well as a deployment of marines have been dispatched to the areas from bases in Micronesia.

***PRIVATE TO INDONESIA***

We wish to open relations with you, as our Asiatic brethren and neighboring state.

If possible, we'd like for open discussions to take place as soon as possible.

OOC: So basically you took over what was left of Papua New Guinea, plus the Solomon Islands, correct?

IC: ***PRIVATE TO FAR EASTERN EMPIRE***

Discussions are definitely a good idea. Do you wish to send a representative to Bali, or would you like an Indonesian representative to come to you?

***Classified to Far Eastern Empire***

Very well. We will send a representative shortly.

***End Message***

Agus Halim was a trifle nervous during the flight. For one, he wasn't sure if the old plane would hold together--it was an old B-17 Flying Fortress, built during the early years of World War 2--though of course it was not loaded with bombs, and had the machine guns removed. He wondered how the thing could possibly hold together after all these years. A testament to American engineering, he supposed.

When the plane began descending, he held his breath, but nothing amiss occured, and they touched down at the coordinated the air-traffic controller had given them.

He couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief when it came top a full stop.

However, he was fully composed once he stepped off...

headline6043.jpg

Empress Ae Sook stepped forward to the man, and probably suprised him. Unlike your typical Empress, she was only 18 years of age. However, her maturity and personality were different than those of an 18 year old girl, and she acted almost as if in her mid-20's.

"Greetings, sir, and welcome to Seoul"

It did take him aback to a small degree, but he had been told to expect anything. Just because Indonesia was currently a closed society did not mean those sent out were ignorant of world history or culture. To the contrary, these people tended to be the most educated in such areas of knowledge.

"I thank you for the welcome," he replied formally, inclining his head in a gesture of respect.

"I have to say, my government was quite surprised to receive your invitation." He himself had not been so surprised...after all, with the Empire's recent acquisitions, the two nations were now neighbors.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

Ae Sook nodded, and took a good chance to think about what to say next.

"Indeed. The fact that I invited you here would seem quite strange. However, considering our position in Asia as both neighbors and powers, i believe it's for the best that we hold a talk and gain relations with one another. I'd especially like if this ended up in a mutual defense pact, or something pro-Asiatic."

He raised his eyebrows in mild surprise. A defense pact? Not even he had been expecting such a proposal so soon.

"I can assure you that at the very least, Indonesia would be very interested in a non-aggression pact."

He took in their surroundings before he committed to saying more. No one seemed to be nearby, but still he wondered if it were wise to be discussing these things outside, in the open. He almost said as much, but he didn't want to be rude.

She could see he was a bit shocked of the surroundings, just in the expression on his face.

"Well just so you know, I know it seems quiet here and rather isolated. That's because this isn't the main airport of the capital, it's actually a private military we keep restricted for military personnel and foreign envoys. As for a non-agression pact, even this is an advancement in the good name of Asiatic brotherhood."

"I had wondered why we were discussing this in the open, but if you say it is private, I'll take your word for it." He inclined his head again to show he meant no disrespect.

"Do you have some sort of template I could look over, a formal draft I can see? Or were you waiting to see if we would approve?" He saw nothing wrong with either course. There was sound reasoning for and against both.

She liked his response. It showed his 'enthusiasm' to see other cultures. It was still a good thing, really.

"Well, i'll have one of my drivers pull up to this location in under 5 minutes, i've just got to give him a call."

She pulled out a black cell phone, and began to make the dial, eventually reaching the man she wanted to reach. The call was short, and simple, and entirely in Japanese. The driver was on his way as soon as she made notice of him for it to occur.

"He's on his way. If you want since we're sparing time here, let's chat."

He waited patiently, his hands folded casually together behind his back, as she made the call. He knew some Japanese, but was far from completely fluent in it, so he couldn't honestly say he'd undertood what she'd said during the call.

"He's on his way. If you want since we're sparing time here, let's chat."

He smiled at the Empress. "Sure. But I have to admit I'm a little short on subjects to talk about. Is there anything you want to ask about my nation while we wait?"

She chuckled a little.

"Actually I was going to talk about both that, and lightly personal matters, nothing deep or serious. As for your nation, how are the conditions weather-wise over there? In the Empire it depends on location, and can range from hot to cold."

The driver wouldn't arrive for another 3 minutes.

He let out alight chuckle. "I've never been very good at discussing trivial things. Perhaps it has something to do with my training as an ambassador." When she asked about the weather, he stared for a few seconds, then struggled to hold in the laughter. "When you said chat, you really meant it, didn't you? The weather...well, when I left Jakarta, it was raining lightly. I heard it was bright and sunny in Bali. Don't know about much of the rest."

By the end of his little speech, he was completely relaxed, and the serious demanor he'd arrived with had faded away to be replaced by a true smile.

She could see easily how the man lost his initially serious demeanor. This was a good thing, not only for negotiations, but for the future of these two countries. If even common folk, and government officials of these two nations could get along, possibilities were endless.

She smiled, as the driver pulled up and she motioned for him to get into the car.

"Well, looks like our ride is here. But don't worry, we'll continue the conversation in the car."

She smiled, politely.

In good spirits, he took the clear invitation to enter the car that had just pulled up.

"All in all, I'd say it was nice weather back home," he concluded, once she got inside too. "I can see what's hapening here, but what's the weather like elsewhere in your Empire?"

"Well, like I said, it sort of depends where you happen to be. In parts of mainland Japan it ranges from cold to hot, while Northern Korean for example has some cold to warm areas, and South Korea does as well. The Phillipines and our other territories in the South Pacific Mandate are both rather hot, and humid. It really depends on which area, and what island though, as the weather is sometimes moderate and tropical."

The car eventually reached a halt outside the Imperial Palace. The Palace itself was a marvel, or more of a splendor really. It combined Korean and Japanese architectural styles. The outside was modern in appearance, however when one entered the building, the appearance was traditional and old-styled. Rice walls, and everything, adorned the palace inside. As they got out of the car and stepped inside, the envoy from Indonesia must have noticed. The serenity in the building, and the amount of quiet that was maintained here was also very peaceful. As they reached her 'throne room', which in realities were her living quarters, even the size of the room alone was enormous. The room was almost the size of a good sized apartment, including living quarters, a bathroom, a small kitchen, and various other luxuries. Her throne sat in an area outside the actual living quarters, where one had to enter a door from the hallway to enter. There was also a door through the room, for Ae Sook. She sat down quietly at the table, folded her legs, and sat in traditional Japanese style.

"Now, before we continue this oh so formal discussion, and chat preceding it, would you like a traditional Japanese meal? Figured you might be hungry from the long flight."

Knowing about something and actually seeing it were two different things entirely. Agus Halim had been told this his whole life, but never had that been more fully brought home to him as he beheld the palace. First the more modern blend of the Japanese and Korean architecture, then inside, the more traditional appearance. And he doubted it was just appearance--it was undoubtedly made of the materials it appeared to be. Right down to the tatami mats used for the flooring.

As he entered, he was already relaxed, but now any remaining tension seemed to melt away. Not even the sheer size of the place bothered him.

His study of the environment was brought up short when she asked him if he'd like something to eat. "As a matter of fact, yes, a meal would be nice. I never much liked flying, especially in that old, as the Westerners say, 'crate' they sent me in, so I try to avoid eating before a flight." His smile remained in place--he couldn't help but remain relaxed in such an environment. So different from the loud and crowded city he was from.

Ae Sook smiled politely upon seeing the man's expression light up. This truly hadn't become just a diplomatic conversation anymore, but more like a friendly meet 'n' greet, with the addition of some formality. She enjoyed being able to return to the palace and relax, as it was always nice and quiet in her living quarters, and the throne room. Even after the Korean Revolution in 2011, things began to relax. The Far Eastern Empire was at peace, and seemed to be remaining at such for a long time. She was glad. Avoiding unneccessary bloodshed and violence was a good thing, and with the expanding frontier, the Empire gained new populations and people that depended on it.

"Heh. I haven't got much in the house at the moment, so how does some spicy curry sound with a little steam-cooked rice on the side? I'm a pretty decent cook."

She blushed a little. She was curious to learn more about this stranger, as he had caught her attention through her visit. It seemed like she might be enjoying this diplomatic envoy more than usual too, considering she usually didn't have company as often as she used to.

"Out of curiosity, how old are you?"

She had already started up the rice cooker and gotten the box of curry out. This conversation would be heading in an interesting direction, mixed formality with friendship.

Seeing this place and remembering is home certainly made for some interesting comparisons. many people thought Asians and their cultures all looked the same. Such were the thoughts of ignorance, as nothing could be further from the truth.

Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese; each had their distinct styles. Though remembering home reminded him that the current administration was not exactly a pleasant set of people. Still, he knew that they had to be hard if they wanted to root out the corruption that seemed to plague every Indonesian government before them, so he still supported their efforts.

All through these thoughts, the smile remained. After all, it was alwayst the darkest just before dawn...and things were already improving.

"That sounds lovely, though to be honest, I'd eat anything that was edible right now," he confided as his stomach growled.

"And since you asked...I'm 33 years old. I'd ask how old you are...but someone once told me it's rude to ask a lady her age."