Imperial Announcement

Elrich von Richt

So she had heard the hinted question. He hadn't wanted to ask outright, but she was an intelligent young woman, and he'd been right in assuming she'd understand what he was really saying.

"I can't say for certain until I know you a little more, but I think whoever said you have the maturity of a woman in her twenties was right. And in addition, you are quite intelligent."

She smiled, and then blushed a little. She was used to hearing comments about her appearance in public, and occasionally in the palace from civilians and government officials. However, the fact that her intelligence and maturity was now being commented by a foreigner was something she couldn't possibly comprehend, the feeling, that is. She was perfectly calm and cool in the situation however, and popped open the rice cooker when the rice was done. She shaped them into rice balls and mixed the curry ingredients firmly together after adding the spices.

She sat down in traditional style once more, and let out a light sigh. She handed him his dish and a plate with two rice balls on it. She took a plate and dish herself. She made sure it was the way she wanted it, and tasted it. It was just fine, and up to her own standards.

She smiled to the foreign envoy she had met once more, and continued to eat until briefly stopping.

"You know, here we are dragging on conversation without even dishing out names. This is so silly."

She chuckled a bit.

The whole time, he was doing his best to sit in the traditional fashion. He wasn't used to this, but then again, he supposed he would have to get used to a lot of things as a diplomat. it wasn't bad, really, just different.

"Thank you," he said as she handed him the food. Despite his hunger, he waited at least until she had sampled it. Not out of paranoia as some people might have thought, but to be polite. Once the Empress had taken a bite, he began eating. He wanted to simply wolf it down, but in addition to that being bad manners, he knew that if he wanted to keep it in his stomach, that would not be the best idea. So he ate slowly and steadily.

"You know, here we are dragging on conversation without even dishing out names. This is so silly."

Now it was his turn to have his cheeks tinged pink. "You're right, I never told you my name," he commented, the smile showing a hint of sheepishness. "I am Agus Halim."

She thought the name was unique in it's own way, like hers. It had a ring too it, and was nice, peaceful, and quiet in the room. She smiled a bit, and was enjoying this. It'd been the first time she'd actually had a conversation outside her own nationality and homeland. This man was interesting in her opinion, and she might actually allow him to stay here longer than the planned envoy's initial stay was set at. She'd enjoyed having company from a foreigner, despite the obvious age difference. She continued to eat her food patiently, and quietly without a word. She then smiled, and downed the food in her mouth, and prepared to say her name to the man, finally.

"And my name, good sir Halim, is Ae Sook. My title, Empress of the Far East, Protector of Japan and Korea, Regent of the Phillipines, Administrator of the South Pacific Mandate."

She chuckled upon saying her long title, as she only did it to joke around.

He'd already known that this was the empress...it made sense, from what he'd seen and what he'd been told before he came. It wasn't hard to figure out. And yet she didn't deliberately advertise the fact. And of course, he'd been told her name before actually leaving. But it was a pleasant thing just to talk to someone like this over a meal, even if that person was a foreign head of state.

He swallowed the bite he'd taken while she was introducing herself. he couldn't help but be infected by her humor. "That sounds like quite a mouthful," he commented with a sly grin.

OOC: I take it the name is in the traditional Eastern order (surname then given name)?

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of the conversation drifted on, and over an hour had passed. The noodles, rice, and the traditional meal had been wiped clean by the two of them. The conversation had managed to actually allow their eating to take longer than expected. Ae Sook was in a rather jolly mood, far more so than usual. Her view of this foreigner was more than that of just a friend, but almost like a higher curiosity. Maybe she was falling for a foreigner, or maybe she just viewed him with far more interest than the normal human or Far Eastern civilian. Whatever it was, she'd ask him to stay as a guest for a few days so she could decide that herself. Whatever was coming for her, and possibly him, in the coming days might be a special time. Festivals, and a walk in the daily life of a Far Easterner were only two of the primary things on her mind. Some rather akward thoughts crossed her head, but far below perversion. As she washed the dishes of her own meal, and picked up his, she decided to finally gather the courage herself and ask. An empress feeling nervous was rather odd, but not exceptional.

"I know you only came here to talk diplomacy, and I think we've accomplished that. I was wondering if you were willing to stay in the palace for a few days as a guest. It'd be an honor really, and I've got some fun ideas we could go with."

For more than one reason, Halim was glad now that he hadn't simply wolfed down the meal. For one, he didn't overeat, as he had a tendancy to do at times (and often resulted in him being sick). Two, it allowed the conversation to last that much longer. It was pleasant to just talk like this. Most conversations were boringly formal (since it was his job, he could deal with those, but he still didn't have to enjoy them), or involved being given orders by his superiors, or following another vein, etc. He didn;t even get along with his own family much of the time due to some of his more progressive views.

He had just finished his own portion, and was about to ask if she wanted him to take care of his own dishes, when she took them herself. It should have been an awkward feeling for an Empress to treat him so graciously, but it was not, somehow, though he still wondered at it curiously as she spoke.

He couldn't tell for certain, as she seemed quirte capable of controlling her reactions, but was she nervous?

In any case, he had to give an answer one way or another. He inclined his head as he delivered that answer. "I myself would be the one honored. My government has set no limit on my visit, so I can stay for quite some time."