Wars and Rumors of Wars

Subtleknifewielder

The pastor made his impassioned plea to an enthralled congregation.

"Brothers and sisters, now is the time, now is the time when we should spread the word! Look at our world today--Nuclear attacks, biological and chemical weapons, terrorist atacks and violent feuds. Crime rates the world over are rising. Nations rising and falling. This world is getting old, it is getting tired. It is a sign of the times, a sign that the end is nearing. Therefore, I repeat that now is the time when we should go forth and spread the word, spread the good news to anyone that is willing to hear it. Everyone will have the opportunity to hear, though they may refuse to listen. It is the choice given them by God, the choice of free will, and in God's name we will present the choice to them clearly!"

A loud chorus of 'Amen's' was heard, almost as one, from the people gathered in the church for the service.

--------

"In today's news, a recent poll shows remarkable growth in a small and previously little-known branch of the Protestant Christian Church. Seventh-Day Adventism."

"What marks this sect as different, what sets it apart to a degree that some call it a cult, is actually several things. None of these factors are, by themselves, unique to Adventism--it is the combination that makes them completely unique."

"One, they believe Saturday, not Sunday, is the true day of worship, citing there is no Biblical evidence that Jesus, or any of his representatives, gave the authority to change it from the seventh day of the week (the week as followed by members of Judaism) to the first."

"The Second belief is their views of heaven and hell. They do not believe that when a person dies, that person's soul goes straight to their eternal location, but rather that the soul and body are one and the same, and therefore, when they die, they sleep, totally unaware of the passage of time."

"The third is what many non-Adventists find the hardest to believe when they are told of this sect. An Adventist is, by definition, almost always a Conscientious objector. Their belief in the sanctity of life is so strong, they refuse to touch a weapon, even in self-defense. They may serve in the military in non-combatant roles, such as technicians or field medics, but they will not pick up a gun with any intent to use it."

"It is this last issue that is troubling to some officers. The recent growth spurt of the Adventist belief system has them worried that it may cut down on volunteers for military service."

"'If this trend continues,' states General Swanson, 'then in time they could become a serious threat to the security of our nation. What use could I possibly have for an entire army full of medics or technicians? Sure, an army has a vital need for these individuals, but a unit formed exclusively by them is not very effective in combat.'"

"What action, if any, is taken in response to this situation, remains to be seen."

OOC: Hopefully, by the time this thread progresses, it will become a controversial issue. I figured it was about time I created such an issue... :D

EDIT: Please note that the events of this thread are taking place in the past of where current RP lies. This should be taken into account if you feel the urge to reply.

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Hmm, it is a bit vague, isn't it? Sorry about that, it's CNRP.

IC: The trend of the poll proved to be true. The population of this curious little sect continued to grow. They were, admittedly, not much in comparison to the general population, about 2% of the total pupulation, but considering their previous numbers had been about half that, it was a startlingly quick increase.

For the time being, General Swanson appeared to be the only major figure concerned with the increase. Not even his immediate superior, General Gogol, had much to say when the situation was communicted to his command post just outside Brisbane.

On the lower levels, Drill Sergeants and other trainers werre having trouble integrating the recruits who refused to touch their weapons.

----

One Desmond Doss was having a particularly hard time. He had just bent his head to pray over his food in the mess hall, when he felt something hit his skull from behind.

When he could sit straight once more, he turned around to see who had thrown it, but the culprit was not immediately clear even as he felt the back of his head. Nothing but a burise would be forming there, but boy it sure hurt. He bent down to see what had been thrown, and found a baseball lying under his chair. It was a wonder he hadn't been more seriously hurt, but he gave that no thought as he returned to his previous occupation, then began his meal. He was used to this kind of treatment from his fellow recruits by now.

OOC: Props to anyone who gets the reference.

"From this point on, I decree that all members of Promised Land's armed forces, from naval crew to aircraft engineers, must be at least acquainted with the basics of their firearms. No exceptions."

~Administrator Richard Anderson

--------

Private Poole tasted mud for the second time that day.

"Didn't you hear me, Private?" Sergeant Penn snarled. "Pick up your weapon! Or do you think you're better than the rest of us?!"

Poole spat out the mud, standing straight once more. "No, Sir, I do not, Sir!"

Penn got in his face. "Then prove it! Bend down and pick up that weapon!"

The hapless private didn't move. "Sir, I can't, Sir!"

"You can't? What, did that fall give you an injury I am not aware of, Private?" Poole was visibly red in the face, and the other recruits wore various expressions: of relief that it wasn't them being picked on, of anger if they thought he did feel superior to them, of sympathy for his positon. None spoke, however. None dared to, not even in this pouring rain.

"Sir, no sir!"

"No, drill Sergean, no!"

The eyes of the Sergeant glared daggers at the Private from only an inch away. "Then pick up that ****ing weapon!"

Poole didn't move until the fist hit him in his left cheek, sending him down to taste mud for the third time...

We express our alarm at such a sect growing so quickly, and send our hopes that this issue is taken under control soon. If we may ask, have any members of this sect been involved in any...'shady' events?

OOC: I was wondering when someone would respond to it...it isn't closed, after all.

IC: "So far, we have been unable to find any trace of illegal or borderline activities sponsored by this movement."

***Classified to to Mandalore***

The very reason they are considered a threat to the nation's security is, we believe, the same reason we can find no evidence linking them to treasonous activities.

***Classified to to Mandalore***

The very reason they are considered a threat to the nation's security is, we believe, the same reason we can find no evidence linking them to treasonous activities.

***Classified to Promised Land***

Yes, almost all sects that grow this large this quickly are connected to some crime...we wish you luck in finding out more on this sect, and we think you should know that the few practitioners of this cult in Mandalore are being monitored closely. We will report suspicious findings to you immediately.

OOC: Am i allowed to RP any practitioners of this cult performing suspicious activities in my nation?

Edited by Nagato the Great

***Classified to Promised Land***

Yes, almost all sects that grow this large this quickly are connected to some crime...we wish you luck in finding out more on this sect, and we think you should know that the few practitioners of this cult in Mandalore are being monitored closely. We will report suspicious findings to you immediately.

OOC: Am i allowed to RP any practitioners of this cult performing suspicious activities in my nation?

OOC: No, I'd prefer others merely RP'd national responses (or responses by individuals or organizations within their nation). I have a specific direction I want to take this RP.

Private Doss had no trouble learning how to be a medic. He'd felt a little ill the first time he'd seen blood, but he quickly got over that, and now he worked as an intern in the infirmiry. It was interesting what kind of injuries happened on a military base, but then again, most of them weren't seasoned soldiers, but rather fresh or half-trained troops. One poor man by the name of Poole came in, refusing to talk about the bruises all over his face. he assumed the soldier had tripped over his feet on some hike, or something.

However, he did not look forward to the marching-and-drilling session that followed his shift here today.

----

Sure enough, when he showed up without a weapon, he'd been bawled out by the sergeant. in public view of 200 other troops, as well as various other personel passing by.

Afterward, he'd been confided in by another recruit what had really happened to the bruised and beaten private he'd bandaged up.

To make matters worse, in the mail he received a letter that his sister had died in a terrorist attack in Alice Springs. The funeral was set to begin in two weeks. he would have to talk to the base CO about obtaining some formal leave...

Private Doss had no trouble learning how to be a medic. He'd felt a little ill the first time he'd seen blood, but he quickly got over that, and now he worked as an intern in the infirmiry. It was interesting what kind of injuries happened on a military base, but then again, most of them weren't seasoned soldiers, but rather fresh or half-trained troops. One poor man by the name of Poole came in, refusing to talk about the bruises all over his face. he assumed the soldier had tripped over his feet on some hike, or something.

However, he did not look forward to the marching-and-drilling session that followed his shift here today.

----

Sure enough, when he showed up without a weapon, he'd been bawled out by the sergeant. in public view of 200 other troops, as well as various other personel passing by.

Afterward, he'd been confided in by another recruit what had really happened to the bruised and beaten private he'd bandaged up.

To make matters worse, in the mail he received a letter that his sister had died in a terrorist attack in Alice Springs. The funeral was set to begin in two weeks. he would have to talk to the base CO about obtaining some formal leave...

OOC: Erm, I think that soldier is going to be denied for disobeying the drill sergeant's orders.

OOC: Erm, I think that soldier is going to be denied for disobeying the drill sergeant's orders.

OOC: I wonder what made you say that... :P

And still no one has caught the reference? I don't mind OOC guessing, people.

"If the sanctity of life is so important to these people, why do they even enter the military in support roles, when their actions help their countrymen to take life? It is completely absurd to choose to, instead of not joining the military, join the military and refuse to handle weaponry. If they're joining the military on purpose and then refusing to fight, then that's a risk to national security - disrupting the military's work and all that - and I don't see why the PL government doesn't just kick 'em out. You wouldn't let a sadist work at a suicide prevention hotline or a pyromaniac work as a fireman, would you? So why let a pacifist join the army? These people need to get their {censored} together or {censored} like this is gonna tear their country apart." - portion of a late night talk show in Arctica, reacting to the situation in Promised Land

While the borders were physically closed, communication was not actively cut off. People still accessed the internet, listened to the radio...and watched TV.

The following was an excerpt from the laws concerning the armed forces, played on TV as part of an educational program.

"...every citizen must, at the age of 16, register for the draft. At some point on or after their 18th birthday, excepting they should have some grievous disability, they shall be required to serve no less than one year in the armed forces of the nation, of a branch of their choosing, in a capacity as they see fit. Regardless of the branch chosen, each new member of the armed forces must go through a month-long course in basic training..."

OOC: I like that post, Vedran, so I thought I'd respond in kind... :D

OOC: Ah, I had a feeling you had a draft law but I wasn't sure. That's why I went the random citizen/TV show route: I don't need to check the facts. Now that I know the facts I can say something official.

IC: "The rise in membership in the Adventist organizations will soon pressure the Promised Land government to reform its conscription laws - and the sooner it does so, the better, because the movement shows no signs of fading." - government official

"The conscription laws are necessary to maintain our nation's security in these troubled times, and the sect will not be banished unless they prove to be unnecessarily stubborn on this issue."

"Yes, because your national security is so threatened. You're in Australia, there's been, what two wars total there? If it's internal issues you're worried about, conscription does more harm than good."

-HRH King James I

"Yes, because your national security is so threatened. You're in Australia, there's been, what two wars total there? If it's internal issues you're worried about, conscription does more harm than good."

-HRH King James I

"That just shows how little you really know..."

As New South Wales' closest ally, should Promised Land require any assistance in this matter, you have our support.

"We appreciate the offer of assistance, but for now we prefer to keep this matter an internal one."

Doss walked through the doorway into the Major's office, as the secretary indicated he should do. He was tired and sweaty from the drilling, but this needed to be done.

"Sir, request permission to obtain leave in two weeks' time, for approximately three days, sir."

Major McGuire looked up from his paperwork. "Reason?" He also gave the pivate permission to sit.

Doss thanked him before answering. "My sister in Alice Springs was killed. I need time to help plan and attend the funeral." he also handed the letter in question over as proof.

The Major scanned over the typed missive, then nodded. "I don't see why not. I'll get the necessary paperwork to you tomorrow. Dismissed."

Doss stood. "Thank you, sir," he said, taking his leave.

OOC: Please note that most of this thread is taking place in the same time slot as "Red Tide."

IC: Doss sighed as he packed the last of his things into the bag. He was not looking forward to this trip, but it had to be taken. And he would feel even worse if he missed it.

He picked up his bag, not very heavy (as was to be expected), and walked out of the barracks.

At the checkpoint, he presented to the guard the paper that gave him permission to leave the base. The guard seemed satisfied and was about to let him through, when none other than Sergeant Penn strode up to them. Without a word, he held out a hand to see the permission slip.

Upon reading it, he tor it in half, then in half again, until there was nothing left but confetti. "Until all aspects of your training are complete, Private, you are not going anywhere."

----

An appeal to Major McGuire yeilded no fruit. He was stuck there. He tried phone home, but was unable to connnect. He attempted to send a letter in the mail. It got through, but it wouldn't arrive until the funeral was over.