A Dysfunctional Government.

iamthey

National Referendum  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OOC: Continued from, http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=68777

IC: As the crisis has progressed the social order of the Citadel has continued to degenerate to a present level of chaos. While the aristocracy, the one group which has been left un-touched by this crisis remains to enforce the rule of law and defend the nation; the decision making process of the triumvirate has continued to break down fruther. Today Ethan Kaiser the late guild speaker, the hypothetical voice of the nation's professional class or gentry was forcibly removed from office by a mob of separatist guild members and publicly executed. While those who committed the crimes have been arrested their actions have only sparked further dissent and a further break down of the guild's former political monopoly.

Along side this the syndicates who represent the technical experts of the nation from the level of scientists to laborers have also split apart however they did so with the permission of their leader James Crown. This break down leaves the Aristocracy as a whole unopposed and unquestionably the sole remaining sovereign body of the land. While many expected him to seize power directly the Prince himself has decided upon an alternative course of action.

Instead of a coup, or a simple declaration of sovereignty a national referendum has been called. The Prince now has issued this videoed speech to be televised across the nation.

*Video*

"People of the Citadel, it is not by the magnificence of this government which I now come before you today; but by its failure. It is now clear in my mind that signing the Articles of Union was a grave mistake. It was one of desperation made on the eve of rebellion, and was at the time the only salvation this nation had of truly being unified under a common state. It is now clear that the old adage "any state is better than none" as in fact not entirely true. You, not I, not your reprsentatives saw through the smokescreen of the guild, and the syndicates and saw straight through to their corrupt core. When you demanded that the veiled elitism within them be reformed they proved your suspicions by issuing threats to your safety and attempting to make pirate bargains with those stronger than you.

I might though for a moment appeal, to your own graces. When they came to me and asked me to crush you coalition. I plainly refused. And when I had the moment before me to seize power, I waited and instead turned to your counsel. Of all the people who have called themselves representatives of your will, who has demonstrated above all to truly do so? Myself. So when I come before you I ask to bank on this trust which I hopefully have earned.

That being said I lay before you a plan. Though my authority as the sovereign I wish to create in the place of the two factions of the Triumvirate, the Guilds and the Syndicates, a national unicameral body of parliament which will be conferred onto it the general powers to legislate and to judge those subject to it. Their principle responsability will be the facilitation of the national government to provide for the citizens domestically; and their core and principle right will the the right to tax.

By contrast; I shall remain in principle the head of the executive branch, and shall bear the special discretionary powers of royal prerogative. While in principle I will be head of state and government; I will appoint from among you a High Magistrate to advise me on of my utilization of this prerogative, and to represent the political interests of the crown and by association the people. That being said it will be my intent to remain an apolitical force and allow my proxies to do your work for you. In the coming days you will as a citizen of this nation be encouraged to participate in the referendum. Therefore I ask that when you do so your answers be duly yes."

*End transmission*

While the Haruhiist Empire dislikes the use of bloodshed, they view this action by the civilians of the Citadel with mixed reaction.

However, we believe it is truly the people's right to decide how they wish to be governed.

Removal of the current triumvirate, and the creation of a Parliament could lead to a more unitary state.

A third of total polling time has now been used up. So far exit polls are showing a strong favor ability for doing away with the triumvirate and a fairly strong support for the prince's proposal. More will be revealed in the coming days.

The polls have closed today and the Prince's officers have begun counting the votes. Results will be published after every vote has been counted.

Edited by iamthey

Votes have been counted and tallied by the prince & his staff. The following announcement has been made.

"In accordance with the recent referendum there was an overwhelming majority in favor of officially disbanding the defunct Triumvirate. That measure is therefore decreed effective immediately. Over the following days my office will ascend taking a position as the nation's sovereign.

In the coming days after the conclusion of this ascension I will issue a second decree setting up a convention tasked with the responsability of creating an acceptable governmental structure, and at principle a parliamentary system. Once complete I will examine the plan and if it is satisfactory sign it. That being said, thank you." - Ryn Atrevier

Edited by iamthey