Tahoan Press Conference

Manetheren

haider_1009868c.jpg

Foreign Minister Darragh McDonnell answers reporters questions

"Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to this press conference. As many of you know, our government just negotiated the territorial limits of the State of Alaska with the Procinctian government as well as discussed commercial fishing rights in the Bering Sea. As such, we felt it was time to open up our government a little for a press conference with reporters, leaders and average citizens from around the world, to let you all know what the Tahoan Government and People are doing. Transparency is a valuable asset in a modern nation. So we invite you, one and all, to ask us questions about what we are doing. Both our government and people. Don't limit your questions to foreign affairs either. You may ask any question you like. What is happening inside of Tahoe, what our people do for fun, what sports they play, how our professional sports leagues and teams are doing. What the Tahoan citizen is like, what their life is like, what they think about the world. The possibilities are endless.

So lets begin now with your questions. I will answer them on behalf of my government and people as best I can."

"The Rheinmark is not a Nordlandic nation and we are German speakers, but a slight majority of our citizens are Norse Pagans. We do not ask what the governments point of view is, but the peoples. Are Tahoan citizens fearful or disdainful of people who have Norse beliefs?"

a reporter from the Malvinas stands up

"What is Tahoes Policy regarding Deep sea exploration , for example, an ancient tahoan ship is sunk in for eg, Procintian waters, the procintian government claims the find and its treasure. even tho it would be a tahoan vessel of historical value but in procintian waters?"

"What is the average Tahoan's idea of a good Friday night?" asked one man.

"For most Tahoan families the average Friday night is spent out at a pub somewhere. A late meal around nine thirty or ten with hours of socializing, playing games, talking and of course drinking. In nice weather, people often sit outside in the beer garden and during poor weather cram inside. Often families have a particular allegiance to a local pub where people of all ages gather and catch up on the weeks happenings. I know that I, for example, frequent The Battery, a pub located near my home in south Cruachan. People from across the neighborhood speak to each other freely and friendly there, and quite often a doctor, train conductor and professional footballer will be deep in conversation. People of all types ask me about how my week has been and I tell them. That is probably the most unfortuante part about being Minister of Foreign Affairs. My stories are long winded and can be quite dull compared to others."

"The Rheinmark is not a Nordlandic nation and we are German speakers, but a slight majority of our citizens are Norse Pagans. We do not ask what the governments point of view is, but the peoples. Are Tahoan citizens fearful or disdainful of people who have Norse beliefs?"

"I wouldn't say fearful or disdainful is either the right term. Tahoans are by huge margins devout Catholics or Protestant Christians and have very little time for what they consider to be fairy tales. But it is most impolite in Tahoe to publically scorn another man's religious views but I am sure it happens. It is probably a conversation that one would have on a friday night in the pub with some mates than any time else really, since it isn't an issue in Tahoe. There are very few pagans here and it isn't familiar to Tahoans."

A New Englander reporter stood up. "What is everyday life in Tahoe like?"

"Well that depends on where you live. A very large portion of our population is rural and much of the rest is urban. Unlike many nations of equivalent size and prosperity, we don't have large suburbs and cities transition to the countryside very quickly. Much of the rural population is farmers or else support the farming community in some way. There are even large "rural parishes" where the people live in traditional European farming communities with little 21st century technology. You have the Amish in New England, and these communities are similar to the Amish except quite often make use of modern technology more often than the Amish do. Those that live in "rural parishes" do so primarily for religious reasons, feeling that opulent urban life is degenerate, although they aren't intimidated or disdainful of modern conveniences like the Amish are. Most of those that live rurally aren't in the so called "rural parishes" though, simply small towns surrounded by farms. Many wealthy urbanites also have country estates that employ large numbers of rural citizens. Urban Tahoans live in densely populated cities and, by and large have white collar jobs. It really is a dichotomy to see the difference between the two, the lifestyle is so different. It is almost like being in a different country, although fundamentally the people have the same mindset. Wake up, go to work and preform work to the best of your ability, come home and socialize with friends and family at the huge evening meal. Friday nights are spent at pubs in cities and in small towns. Whether working at a computer software company, airplane factory or on a farm, the people see each other as equals. No man is better than one another and anybody would feel comfortable coming up to me, a high ranking government official and criticizing my preformance to the face. They would not do so rudely or thoughtlessley, but they would explain why I am doing a poor job and then tell me how to improve my preformance. It would be dishonorable for me to look down upon them and them to think of themselves as my inferior, simply because I am elected to do a job. In that regard, Tahoe is quite egalitarian despite differences in wealth and prosperity. Communities help each other so none starve. Whether it is a factory worker who loses his job or a farmer whose crop suffers from a drought, the community finds out and supports that person, knowing that others would do so for them. A very good question and I hope I answered sufficiently, but if you need any clarification or want to know more about anything I stated, just ask."

"What is Tahoes Policy regarding Deep sea exploration , for example, an ancient tahoan ship is sunk in for eg, Procintian waters, the procintian government claims the find and its treasure. even tho it would be a tahoan vessel of historical value but in procintian waters?"

"Hmmm. I would have to say that if the ship is sunk in Procinctian waters and found by the Procinctian government, then it is the property of Procinctia unless someone can produce a legitimate claim to the contrary, which would be quite difficult considering it is an ancient ship according to your hypothetical. Generally speaking if governments get involved, our government will get involved, but if the issue is between a private treasure hunter and somebody who claims the treasure, it is the individuals to solve."

Does Tahoe still hate the Pope? The Pope attempted peace talks with Cardinal Patrick Wood, but he dropped out in mid-discussion.

OOC: For some reason you didnt log on for a while and I had to keep going because I had a long list.

Does Tahoe still hate the Pope? The Pope attempted peace talks with Cardinal Patrick Wood, but he dropped out in mid-discussion.

OOC: For some reason you didnt log on for a while and I had to keep going because I had a long list.

"I cannot speak for the Patriarch, but I certainly don't hate the Pope. Now if we are talking about the same Pope, that is the real question. If the Tahoan Church does not recognize a man as a Pope, then to me he is not the Pope."

OOC: I was in Hawaii

LUKAS REITZ (TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE NUUS): "Excuse me sir, Tahoe has always had strong and close ties with Transvaal. How does the Foreign Minister see those relations remaining - or changing - with the new government in Transvaal? Does Prime Minister van Matteus taking office warm or cool the ties between Cruachan and Pretoria? Thank you for your time."

LUKAS REITZ (TRANSVALER DAAGLIKSE NUUS): "Excuse me sir, Tahoe has always had strong and close ties with Transvaal. How does the Foreign Minister see those relations remaining - or changing - with the new government in Transvaal? Does Prime Minister van Matteus taking office warm or cool the ties between Cruachan and Pretoria? Thank you for your time."

"It has traditionally been the position of the Tahoan Government that the Government of Transvaal has full support of the Tahoe Republic so long as Staatspresident Botha retains his authority. If he approves of the current government, so do we. The full level of the support given though is dependent on numerous factors, chief among them the opinion voiced by Ambassador O'Grianna, who more than any other of our ambassadors has the authority to set policy towards Transvaal. Now, on the current administration, we always support freedom and civilian democracy over fascist dictatorships and so are happy that Transvaal has returned to civilian government. It is to early to fully grade Prime Minister Van Matteus's government but over time a more fully developed policy should be implemented. Ambassador O'Grianna is still trying to get a handle on the situation. I am sure though that Tahoe and Transvaal will remain steadfast allies."

The reporter nodded, smiling. “Thank you for your answer, it is satisfactory. Now, there is one aspect I’m curious about: what opinions do the citizens in Nova Scotia have of New England? We remember the Nova Scotia government condemned us when we moved into Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.”

How would you classify your goverment in power. For example, Molakia is a Leftist, Democratic Monarchy, if that makes sense. Also, what is Tahoe's offical stance on Molakia and Europe in General.

"The current government is comprised of two political parties; my own Democratic Party as the junior member of the coalition and the larger National Party that is the senior member. The National Party is fundamentally a socially conservative nationalist party. It is large enough to have a number of different bases, but like I said is fundamentally nationalist so its members opinions on economics vary anywhere from free market capitalist to Keynsian. The Democratic Party is fundamentally a free market, pro liberty party that is more open to different social views believing that liberty comes first and foremost. We are proponents of anything that restricts government power, while the National Party feels the same in some respects, they are proponents of increasing the power of the nation and are willing to increase the power of the government to do so. Basically we are both right wing parties on opposite spectrums of the right, with some overlap. Our government is structured as a federal constitutional republic governmed by two right wing parties."

"Our official stance in Europe is that we have no official stance. We are quite pleased with how Europe is seemingly rejecting large fascist states and especially about how Slavorussia is returning to its prewar borders. That particular war was one of histories greatest injustices and we wish them, and the Tsar a speedy recovery. Our closest allies in Europe are the Polish-Czech Commonwealth, with whom we get along well although have no official treaty and Scotland, who are our blood brothers to the death. We do not have enough knowledge about Molakia to say anything good or bad about it, although hope that peace between it and Finland may be preserved."

The reporter nodded, smiling. “Thank you for your answer, it is satisfactory. Now, there is one aspect I’m curious about: what opinions do the citizens in Nova Scotia have of New England? We remember the Nova Scotia government condemned us when we moved into Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.”

"Nova Scotians are, like all Tahoans, proud people. The past year has been very difficult for them, facing countless attacks on their image by nations calling them a colony of the Tahoe Republic, which they firmly reject and declare that they are as Tahoan as someone born and raised in the town of South Lake Tahoe. I cannot speak for the Government of the Province of Nova Scotia, a Sovereign State, but I believe New England surrounding Nova Scotia was viewed as a threat since so many in the world viewed Nova Scotia as a colony. That opinion has died down since the downfall of Aotearoa in particular and once the people realize that there is no threat from New England."

"What is the Central Government of Tahoe's Opinion regarding the contemporary rising of 'Mercenary Companies,' companies that either subjugate large landmasses as a nation under company control or even companies like the new 'Soldiers of Fortune' that have already begun operating in Northern Russia? Concisely, how does Tahoe feel about companies owning a nation of people and these companies in general?"

"What is the Central Government of Tahoe's Opinion regarding the contemporary rising of 'Mercenary Companies,' companies that either subjugate large landmasses as a nation under company control or even companies like the new 'Soldiers of Fortune' that have already begun operating in Northern Russia? Concisely, how does Tahoe feel about companies owning a nation of people and these companies in general?"

"Totally unacceptable. If a company subjugates land as a corporate state than it is either a nation with a corporatist dictatorship government or a company acting in a completely unethical manner. Actually, it seems like in most cases it is both. I understand why mercenary companies exist but I am wary of them, seeing that they are often not held accountable and act in oppresive manner."

"Simon Teller, Xaristan National News, WXNN. How does the Tahoan government view the recent rapid expansion by New England on the North American continent, and what is your government's reaction to the world's outrage over threatening Procinta in the Bering?"

"New England's expansion has been democratic and supported by the people of the newly aquired territories, so we must morally support them. They have the right to self determination. As for the so called outrage over the Bering Sea affair, well, I don't mean to use excessive hubris, but if we actually were threatening Procinctia then there is a very good chance that nation would not exist anymore. We percieved a threat and reacted to it and luckily successfully negotiated a peaceful resolution. World opinion is irrelevant to our actions."

"Totally unacceptable. If a company subjugates land as a corporate state than it is either a nation with a corporatist dictatorship government or a company acting in a completely unethical manner. Actually, it seems like in most cases it is both. I understand why mercenary companies exist but I am wary of them, seeing that they are often not held accountable and act in oppresive manner."

"I find this very agreeable, as it is the stance of our government as well. Thank you for your time, sir."

citizen_journalist-1.jpg

Guy in the back, probably freelance reporter

“At the Anchorage talks Mr Foster claimed ‘1,000 residents on Nelson Island who voted 71% to 23% to join the Tahoe Republic as the State of Alaska.’ At that time there wasn’t anyone living at Nelson Island because during the Alaska Protectorate Plebescite election the only people residing on Nelson Island were military forces aligned along the demilitarized zone.

– care to explain the discrepancy?”

Edited by Generalissimo