The Modern Age

The Confederation

"The world is different now..."

Tanzband addressed the graduating class at the Königsberg Military Academy. It is something that he always liked doing...watching boys turn into men, and men turn into officers.

"The world is different now...Europe is free from oppression, Asia is free from the economic stranglehold it has held periodically for the past decades, democratic thought and ideals have begun to rise across the planet, and for once the world is at peace."

The crowd cheered.

"Now is a time for opportunity...a time to spread the ideals of love and peace to the world. Now is a time to look back on our pasts and realize that all nations make mistakes, and that all nations make great leaps forward in the development of the world. It is of course, it is the nation that contributes more to the world than it takes that is remembered throughout history as great and noble.

So I compel to you, future leaders of the Prussian Heer and Luftwaffe, future leaders of industry and future leaders of the world. Look at this time of peace and opportunity as your time. Heed the guidance of those who came before you, mimic their successes and do not repeat their mistakes. Yes...today is a great day in the history of man...but together we can make tomorrow even better."

He bowed to the crowd and shook the hands of each of the deans before he parted off stage right. Expectantly, the crowd went wild.

As he crept backstage he thought to himself,

"Indeed...today is wonderful...but tomorrow..."

He smiled at his security detail and his pilot who were waiting for him at the security access point.

"Well gents, I suppose we're off then?"

The pilot sprung up..."Yes sir...yes."

concorde_03.jpg

They walked quickly as a group to the air training field that lay right infront of the converted hanger/auditorium and boarded Tanzband's trademark Concorde. The jet's engines purred and whistled as it taxied the runway headed eastbound. Wherever the aircraft was headed...it was away from Prussia.

The plane would come to a soft land in the city of Apia. The area of Samoa had only recently passed to the Hanseatic Commonwealth, and the islands of Upolu, Savai'i, Apolima and Manono were some of the most jeweled possessions in the Hanseatic holdings. These islands, making up the political territory of German Samoa, was a virtual gold mine of resources and they were resources that Sarah intended to exploit to the best of her degree. Unfortunately, as a protectorate and a promise to herself that she would allow other governments to form on the islands those resources were in fact a finite resource and would no doubt disappear. However, one of the first people to jump on the claims for the nation, were the Prussians. When Albert had sent letter to Sarah about the claims of German Samoa, he had only requested a meeting, but when he had said Apia, she could guess where the conversation was going to go. But the least she would do was humor him and perhaps something good could come for both of them.

When Albert exited the plane he was greeted by only one man, wearing a button-down Polynesian shirt, khaki shorts, and a strong Australian accent. "Welcome to Apia, Mr. Tanzband. Its a pleasure to meet you." He said holding out his hand. "I understand that you're hear for an audience with her Ladyship." He sighed. "Though I should tell you, you arrived a bit earlier than we had thought. But...I suppose that considering you and Lady Sarah are a bit closer than most leaders I could probably take you to her." He turned to a red corvette sitting at the far corner of the air port. "If you'd come with me, I think I know where we can find her. If you'll come with me."

He lead Albert to the car and pulled off onto the main road that began to fade to dirt roads as they passed under the canopies of tropical trees heading to the crystal clear waters on the horizons. It was an extremely hot day, and fresh rainwater was still falling down from the leaves on the trees, when they finally came to a small hill leading down towards the beach front. There on the open white sand, as the waves gently lapped onto the shore, sat one lone beach chair. Sarah lay, face down, towel over her head and tanning oil coating her back. She breathed easily and parts of her body still dripped with the water from the ocean, as her back moved up and down slowly, breathing to the rhythm of the ocean.

"She's down there. Just be quiet when you disturb her. I think she's sleeping."

Tanzband bowed to the man and handed him a small bag filled with golden coins. Smiling, he sat down on the beach.

"Make sure you buy yourself something really nice with that."

The man was utterly stunned, he had inherited around $20,000 in bouillon just by driving down a thin road for a few minutes.

Tanzband laid back on the sand in his traditional white uniform and glared at how blue the sky was and how the waves rustled against the shore. He fished through his pocket for a small sepia toned picture, lifting it to his face to shade his eyes.

The picture was old and smelled like mildew and had stain on it's front that was shaped like the bottom of a coffee cup.

Tanzband stared at the picture of the man carrying a Prussian Needle Gun shaking the hands of two natives that were heavily adorned in paints and leafs. Tanzband thought to himself about times past...days when Prussians lived around the world and were ruled by other Prussians. An empire some would say...but it was far from the truth, Prussia sought to help the world, and nothing else.

Under his breath he spoke..."Great Grandfather...your dream will be realized...I assure you..."

Laying back down, he closed his eyes and listened to the cool breeze and the ocean, careful not to wake Sarah up.

Edited by Brian Reimer

The ocean breeze blew gently across the sand as Albert sat down next to Sarah and the ruffling of the sand was enough to perk her ears up. She let out a soft groan and reached up to remove the towel from her head and turned to see who was it this time that disturbed her. Looking to her left and seeing Albert sitting there in the hot sun, in a military uniform looking at a picture as he blocked the sun from his eyes. "Albert?" He turned. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't supposed to come for a few more hours?"

Sarah shook her head. "Doesn't matter." She reached down underneath the chair for another towel that she folded over her legs as she reached behind her to tie her top tighter from laying against the chair. "So I know you wanted to talk about something." She opened a cooler next to her and handed him a wine cooler. "Its feminine I know, but take it at least. Then I'm not drinking alone. So what did you come to talk about Albert?"

He took the wine cooler and eyed it's label.

"Not Feminine....no...I used to drink these as a child..."

He said it in a sarcastic, yet humorous tone.

"Forgive my expedience, but my advisers always forget that my staff-jet is super-sonic, and never calculate the correct times for flight...."

He took a sip of the sweet liquid and put it down on the sandy ground. No more for him.

"I am here today...to plead to you for this island, and it's three sisters...you see...this land was forged in German blood. In the late 1800s, the Americans, British and Germans fought a long proxy war for control...in 1900, we all agreed to separate the islands. Germans to the west, and Americans to the east. He pointed to the east at the former American Samoa. These islands are in my veins you see..."

He handed the picture to Sarah.

"That's my great grandfather...he was one of the first germans to settle here once the war ended. You see, unlike the other super-powers, Germanic colonies weren't formed to economically exploit the natives. No, they were formed to develop the area and bring the Germanic way of life to it's people. We worked to keep hem self-sufficient and proud. Sarah...please allow me to do this again for these proud people. Allow me to realize the dreams of my elders and to satisfy the spilled blood of my ancestors and those who were brave enough to fight along with them."

Sarah nodded at him as she pushed her hair back behind her ears and took the picture from him. As he talked she nodded and smiled back finally when he finished. "Albert, you seem to have a genuine connection to the land and protectorate or not, if I'm already giving the islands west of Fiji to New Zealand for the same reason of bringing in the ethnicity, it would be hypocrisy to turn you away." She leaned down at put a hand against his warm cheek. "You helped me so much in the past Albert." Sarah chuckled lightly. "If it weren't for you, I and the Hansa wouldn't even exist anymore. You've protected me from demons, time and time again and yet I never seemed to have rewarded you for this."

She looked out to the crystal horizon in front of her. "I want you to have it all, all the islands that you requested. Make them great, make them strong again and find your past. I always believed in self-rule, but I'm sure these Prussians would much rather be under their President, then a Hanseatic queen. You have my work that the land is yours."

Sarah retracted her hand and kissed him lightly. "I only want you to remember our friendship and protect me still as you do now."

Sarah nodded at him as she pushed her hair back behind her ears and took the picture from him. As he talked she nodded and smiled back finally when he finished. "Albert, you seem to have a genuine connection to the land and protectorate or not, if I'm already giving the islands west of Fiji to New Zealand for the same reason of bringing in the ethnicity, it would be hypocrisy to turn you away." She leaned down at put a hand against his warm cheek. "You helped me so much in the past Albert." Sarah chuckled lightly. "If it weren't for you, I and the Hansa wouldn't even exist anymore. You've protected me from demons, time and time again and yet I never seemed to have rewarded you for this."

She looked out to the crystal horizon in front of her. "I want you to have it all, all the islands that you requested. Make them great, make them strong again and find your past. I always believed in self-rule, but I'm sure these Prussians would much rather be under their President, then a Hanseatic queen. You have my work that the land is yours."

Sarah retracted her hand and kissed him lightly. "I only want you to remember our friendship and protect me still as you do now."

"I will always protect you Sarah...I would do anything for you!"

He was so excited that he could not contain himself.

Leaping up, he grabbed Sarah's hand.

"Let's go to Apia's city center and grab a real drink, it's time to celebrate!"