To Hold Back the River Acheron

Sarah walked away from Miyagi and opened a bottle of water, she took a quick swig trying to replenish the energy she had lost in the fight, before dumping the rest of the water over her head as it ran down her face and neck. The coldness of the liquid was just what she needed and could feel the energy beginning to seep back into her body. Listening to Anthony she smiled. "Yeah, I know, but its been a long week and it was nice to get some of my aggression out. But I told you before, I'm not a fighter, I'm learning, but you have to be patient with me, but I'll get it eventually Anthony. I promise."

Taking a few more swigs of water she walked back over to Miyagi and bowed. "Is that all for today or do you want to continue, I think I'm getting my second wind." She smiled and then looked back at Anthony. "And when are you going to show me this surprise?"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah, I know, but its been a long week and it was nice to get some of my aggression out. But I told you before, I'm not a fighter, I'm learning, but you have to be patient with me, but I'll get it eventually Anthony. I promise."

Anthony simply smiled. "Understandable. I know you'll get it--I was just making sure. My only other student had a difficult time grasping that. A stubborn one, she was. Still is, for that matter," he added, chuckling.

When she in turn addressed Miyagi, implying that she was actually eager to try again, the old man grinned, his eyes twinkling as he returned the bow. "Well, not only willing to learn, but eager, I see." He pointedly glanced all around him. "I have no place I need to be," he stated, his expression not changing in the least.

She smiled and then looked back at Anthony. "And when are you going to show me this surprise?"

To be honest, she'd already met the surprise, though she didn't know it. It--or rather, she, had walked out the door before Sarah's lesson had begun. Anthony adopted a knowing smile. "You'll know before the day is out," he said, and refused to answer any more questions on the matter.

Miyagi couldn't help but be amused even further--he had a very good guess as to what they were talking about. His grin got even wider as he took a ready stance.

This time the fighting went much quicker, though perhaps not as furious as last time. Sarah had expended much of her anger, her strength, and her aggression in the first attempt and so she went much easier on Miyagi. Not that it would really matter, he was the master, not her. If she went in half-assed, he doubled her attempts making it extremely hard for her even to keep on moving. Finally after throwing a hasty punch she collapsed onto ground, breathing heavily, but with a smile on her face and sweat dripping across her entire body. She felt ten times better than she had in a long while.

Looking up at the master she grinned and shook her head. "Thanks. I needed that." Standing up she walked back over to her bag and water and collapsed onto the ground once again. "So Anthony, what's next on the agenda for tonight. Cause I think I'm pretty much tired out from here. Anything else, or I might just head back home. I need a shower really bad right now."

Anthony watched with a calculating eye, and an approving one, as Sarah learned from Miyagi. She had definitely calmed down.

When it was over, Miyagi bowed, showing his respect for his ruler, despite that fact that she was currently his student. At her thanks, he wasn't quite sure what to say, so he simply bowed again, retreating to the far wall and kneeling in a meditative pose.

Anthony continued to watch her even as she collapsed again next to her belongings.

"So Anthony, what's next on the agenda for tonight. Cause I think I'm pretty much tired out from here. Anything else, or I might just head back home. I need a shower really bad right now."

Sitting down to stay near her eye level, he answered her calmly. "We do have one more place to go, but I see nothing wrong with going back to the Manor first so you can shower and change."

Anthony watched with a calculating eye, and an approving one, as Sarah learned from Miyagi. She had definitely calmed down.

When it was over, Miyagi bowed, showing his respect for his ruler, despite that fact that she was currently his student. At her thanks, he wasn't quite sure what to say, so he simply bowed again, retreating to the far wall and kneeling in a meditative pose.

Anthony continued to watch her even as she collapsed again next to her belongings.

"So Anthony, what's next on the agenda for tonight. Cause I think I'm pretty much tired out from here. Anything else, or I might just head back home. I need a shower really bad right now."

Sitting down to stay near her eye level, he answered her calmly. "We do have one more place to go, but I see nothing wrong with going back to the Manor first so you can shower and change."

"Well no, I mean we can go do that first. I'd rather get a shower and be done for the evening than go back into town and gallivant around." She got up from the floor and threw back on her sweatpants and sweatshirt. She turned to Miyagi and bowed her head to say good-bye and then walked out the door back into the dark streets of the Brisbane evening.

"So where are we heading anyways Anthony?"

"Well no, I mean we can go do that first. I'd rather get a shower and be done for the evening than go back into town and gallivant around."

"As you wish," he said with a cryptic smile. Miyagi opened a single eye when she bowed a head in his direction, and smiling, returned the gesture before closing the eye again.

"So where are we heading anyways Anthony?"

He simply retained the smile, refusing to answer the question as he led her down another route, not in the same direction as Diet Hall, but nevertheless out of Fuyo-Town. Though the area they entered was no less lavish, it was obviously not Asian in any way, with hotels, restaraunts, and other establishments catering to tourists and travelers.

One such hotel turned out to be their destination, and when they walked in, the receptionist simply nodded at him, recognizing him at once. Her eyes widened when she saw who was with him, but only for a moment, recovering her proffessional demeanor at once as she let them pass.

It was only a short trip down the carpeted hall before Anthony turned and knocked on a door with the number 15 displayed prominently in gilded numerals.

The occupant of the room was not currently in a position to be seen by Sarah as the door opened, but that changed in a fraction of a second, as they stepped out--revealing Melissa, the girl from the dojo. She had a curious expression on her face as Anthony spoke.

"Sarah, you already met Melissa. She was...supposed to be the surprise I mentioned earlier, though she spoiled that somewhat by not staying put. But I suppose everyone should expect that of their children at one time or another..."

He trailed off, leaving Sarah to draw the obvious conclusions...

She was happy that she had stayed under dressed, chances were that if Anthony had insisted that Sarah go home, shower, and change she would have dressed up much nicer to go back out in town. So while she looked like a complete slob, no one gave the slightest nod to her and she drifted around town with Anthony, just like another bump on the street.

They left Fuyo-town quickly enough and arrived north of the city center. North of the cultural district, which comprised of the area around Diet Hall and the main boulevards, was the tourist attraction areas. Lying near the Brisbane River, hotels, boutiques, and parks drifted along the shore, along with spectacular view of the Exposition Hall from the World Exposition a few years back. Taking her into one of the hotels they walked up briskly to one of the rooms, inhabited by the girl that Sarah had seen at the Dojo.

"Sarah, you already met Melissa. She was...supposed to be the surprise I mentioned earlier, though she spoiled that somewhat by not staying put. But I suppose everyone should expect that of their children at one time or another..."

Her eyes widened. "My god, so after all this time, all the stories that you told me, I finally get to me the daughter of Anthony Harlem." Sarah approached Melissa and held out her hand. "Its a pleasure Melissa, it really is. I'm afraid I don't know all that much about you, but I'm sure that will change. I see that you're quite the fighter though. You get that from your father?"

Melissa shot a brief, unreadable look at her father before turning to Sarah and grinning. She took the offered hand and shook it enthusiastically.

"Its a pleasure Melissa, it really is. I'm afraid I don't know all that much about you, but I'm sure that will change. I see that you're quite the fighter though. You get that from your father?"

She nodded. "Yep. He taught me pretty much everthing I know. Said something about how he 'didn't want to leave me undefended' or some such thing." A brief shadow, a hint at some memory, crossed her eyes, but was dispelled a moment later by the renewed bright expression.

"Where are my manners? do you want to come in? It's not home, but my mother was always saying to 'be polite, not shy.' Normally that old fogey over there--" she gestured at an indignant-looking Anthony "--would tell me not to let strangers in, but since you're with him, I don't see any why there should be any problem."