Project Horace

iamthey

OOC: Correction to title Project Horus.

It had been mere weeks after the transfer of the land formerly belonging to Naboo. Upon claiming it the region had been dubbed formally by the new Viceroy, Jeffrey Avers, “Sub Administrative Zone Four” and its capital renamed to New Lausanne. Since then Vladimir Kaine, the head of the nation’s military sector of the External Ministry, had been asked to directly run operations out of the region to ensure it was safely transitioned from Naboo to the Imperial Alliance. He had arrived early the evening of the summons, choosing to arrive in one of their converted bombers capable of rapid international flight. He had been transferred to the military’s regional command by a caravan of LRV’s, and now sat perplexed in an office that had been quickly set up for himself. Having left the secure room only a moment to relieve himself he was now confronted with a thick parchment page folded in to three sections the imprint of a seal belonging to the Imperium’s long defunct Imperial Regent. Under it was the long stem belonging to a rose, though the petals of its flower rather than being red, were instead black. Lifting the letter, and broke the seal and unfolded the page, it was written by hand and its letter head was that belonging to the Senior Partner of the Solex company. The name though rather than Othran, was Devereaux the previous leader. Absent of a small note in the center of the page, it was blank. Call me. it read. He continued to stare at it, then he realized, having once been a partner there himself, that the phone number imprinted within he letter head was incorrect. He set the page down and proceeded to lift his phone from its cradle. Dialing the number he put it to his ear. The phone rang, and soon after he heard a voice, “I apologize old friend, but I could not be here to answer your call. I propose we meet sometime soon, but allow me to take care of the arrangements. I have a bit of a proposition, one I think you and Mr. Othran might find equally interesting.” The line went dead. Kaine sat rigid in his chair, he was startled, in all his time he had never thought that he could ever be alive… It appears that Michael Devereaux, the man he had followed his entire political career was back.

Edited by iamthey

After exiting the main administrative center of Sub Administrative Zone Four, Vladimir had begun to feel uneasy. He felt he could trust Devereaux, but he hadn't ever claimed to understand the man. The Administrative Center was more of a palace than it was an office, it sat on a raised foundation which like a pyramid was visibly one level stacked upon another. In this regard the layers formed a cascading set of steps leading up to the main building. Suddenly he noticed something, the military police who normally stood vigilant and guarded the center were derelict of their duties. Without announcement a black van pulled up ten meters from Kaine, and five armed men climbed from its rear. Each of them wore a mask and each was indistinguishable from the others. Behind him he suddenly felt someone shove him, and shortly after his vision blacked out; the easily deduced product of the thick nylon bag pulled over his head. Dragged into the vehicle Vladimir was helpless to stop them...

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: I am Rping this primarily for internal reasons (as part of my nation’s personal story) all of it is classified, and I will still be Rping my RP wars the exact same way I always have.

Light flooded Vladimir’s eye’s as the black bag used to kidnap him was pulled from his face. He was in a stone room, with a single light, and from the looks of it no entrance. Standing in front of him was Michael. “I apologize old friend, but I couldn’t compromise my own organization no matter how much we trust one another.”

Slightly annoyed but understanding, Kaine sighed, “Its alright… you know, you could have just asked.”

“Heh, no; how do you think I pulled the guards from the area… someone in the building staff betrayed you.”

“What?” Vladimir was a bit surprised.

“Its not that important, they are a simple infiltrator some kind of local resistance I guess, I’ll give you their name when you leave. Point is I had to make it look like I was kidnapping you.” Vladimir accepted the answer.

“So what is this about?” He asked.

Sighing Michael took a seat opposite of his friend, there was a table between them. “Clearly my first message answered the most pertinent question, and shattered your most basic assumption; that being the state of my life. However do you have anything you’d like to ask before I begin?”

“Where have you been all this time?”

Devereaux coughed, “I’ve been here, in Naboo; for the last twelve years I’ve been researching particular areas of a number of sciences, most specifically genetics, robotics, artificial cognition, and neurology. I’ve been working with a team to create some prototypes; funding myself on the private reserves of wealth. The little that remains of the Devereaux trust.”

“I see, why?” Kaine asked.

“I’ll get to that; on the matter of my legal status I am particularly enraged at what happened with Solex. You were there, perhaps you could explain that?”

“Well, when you fled we were not sure what to do. The Devereaux trust was primarily concentrated in the Imperium on account of the war; it drove us all protect to our fortunes within our own system rather than leaving it up to the chance that the banks/companies would be nuked by one of the two sides. When the invasion occurred the terms of our own security was the dismantling of your trust. With your shares gone Solex fell into Othran’s hands. This initially came with the side promise of restoring Thomas’s control in the company but once Othran got in there he decided not to give it up…”

“That !@#$%^&,” Michael shook his head, “I started him in politics, I made him a viceroy over turkey when we controlled it all those years ago! I gave him a partnership in Solex, I gave him his wealth, and after all of that he doesn’t even have the decency to restore my son to his rightful station.”

“To his credit he made your son a Viceroy in his own Empire.”

“My son deserves no less than to be an Emperor, making him a viceroy is a cruel way of mocking me.”

“Anyway this isn’t about me feeling bad; its about you, and its about Othran. Do you know what this is, he said pointing a small incision along his left temple.”

“A scar?”

Michael laughed, “No, while in Naboo my team got to work developing a cerebral Implant of sorts. We began by studying the sensory organs, recording patterns in input. At first with very small components, a dot of red, or a single tone to see how the brain reacted. This gave us the pieces for the first artificial stimuli the pieces needed for essentially the importing of information into the brain. From there we began studying thought, especially how internal commentary, and visual thinking work. The point of this was to create an implant which essentially could allow the mind to send and receive information to a computer. My implant is our final prototype, the hundredth generation give or take. By this point I can communicate fully with my own computer systems which are designed to be operated with an implant, think about a program it opens, request an image its imported to my mind, see the desktop in my eyes but really have no desktop at all ect.”

“Sounds interesting.”

“Oh yes, and that’s only the beginning. A second project I was running drew from my studies in artificial cognition, and computer science in general. We began that as an offshoot study of the implant technology. We began monitoring a series of implanted hosts, about a thousand, all the brightest and best minds available. All hosts were basically screened to be of one distinct background, highly left brained, scientific, well educated, and high IQ’s. Their brain functions were constantly scanned and each had undergone a process to create an exact computer replica of their brains. Taking the patters we created a so value system to define different patterns, and essentially combined the entire test group into one simulated consciousness. We found something amazing, an artificial mind. Rudimentary at first but capable of learning and as we improved upon it, it became more and more… human. We created and continued to add onto a massive post-Petaflop computer, essentially a quantum computer. One which operates on electron spin rather than binary, as the spin changes at the speed of light the computer is capable of near limitless numbers of calculations a second. The human mind which doesn’t require near that much processing power was easily replicated in this environment. To be honest we don’t fully understand how it is conscious, or if it is entirely a farce; all we know is that it appears to be conscious, and seems to be able to creatively think. We have built in some structural frameworks which basically set up its personality. It is more or less a neutral administrator; it doesn’t care what the order is, or have any cause of its own; but it will creatively problem solve in order to achieve the given task.”

Kaine was a bit worried, “Eh, is it safe?”

“Yes, we have designed a number of fail safes, we can directly cut power for one through a physical barrier, and we also have a series of thermite charges located in the room above the server house, if it were to go rampant those could be manually activated and the entire server farm would become nothing more than slag.”

“Fair…”

“Besides as I said the frameworks we put in place to sort of shape the personality is more or less analogous to our own hormones and genetic coding, the computer isn’t even aware of the frame working and wouldn’t consider it unnatural anyway even if it did, it would just consider it part of its own cognitive structure… What I mean is you come to like your own personality over time, to the point where you would fear a radical change. The computer is the same way. But all of this is really leading up to my point of bringing you here. The Alliance has a few…outdated laws in place.” He paused, “Biological Replication Protocol number Thirty Seven, Cloning Vladimir. We have allowed all of it up to one point, total artificial gestation; as long as the genetic code is unique to the individual it is acceptable. Unfortunately this is costly and ineffective for the sorts of applications I desire.”

“I see… go on.”

“That being said I give you… the universal soldier.” One of the stone walls began to lower into the ground revealing a ovular vat in it an adult human male. “Imagine the fiercest robot military, now imagine one which can repair itself, feed without the need of cumbersome batteries and power packs but instead simple grains and food staples. Imagine the same obedience without the ignorance but instead the creativity of a human brain, the same precision that only a computer can provide but with the elegance of a humanity body. This is the suboid, he can think and feel yet he lives to serve. We grow them into adult hood and implant them, born with fully developed muscles and a metabolism that can be regulated through the implant to be low when logistics are failing or normal when in the heat of combat. Training protocols, and needed knowledge uploaded directly into the mind and the ability to feed orders from a centralized intelligence… our compound intelligence. All the while the leader of the grand army can feed his strategic genius to the CI, and it can find the best way in which to achieve that grand strategy. All is needed is that BRP#37 be repealed a simple order by the Administrator and such an army can be his.”

“I am intrigued at the prospect that never again will a human being have to die in a war, but what should I tell Othran?”

“Ask him… if he wants to be a god. Tell Othran to imagine the omniscience of Osiris along with the Omnipotence of Horace. That is what I offer him.”

Edited by iamthey

OOC: Hmm...interesting, and intriguing. How much of this is actualy considered possible at the present time?

OOC: My RP is in the year 2022, right now (2009) rudimentary quantum computers are possible and computers with a processing power up to 20 petaflops exist. Which is essentially 20 million calculations per person on the earth at once. By 2022 its likely full scale quantum computers will be present probably not in actual application but in laboratories basically the technology will be there. Right now the largest projects regarding AI are really just scientific pursuits done at MIT and several other major universities, and they are pretty much hindered by the problem of financing and manpower (there are come corporate projects but against the same problem arises). Which basically puts very conservative estimates (eg the max estimated time as to give the people making the statement a lot of leeway) at about the year 2040-2050 when the first true Strong AI will really be in existence. If enough money and manpower were dedicated to the study itself its likely that the date would be significantly reduced. Furthermore to create a strong AI they will basically need to be able to map a human brain and its functions, which an implant like device would be necessary for (or some other brain to computer interface). Right now we already have a basic brain to computer interface that allows a person to type messages and move a mouse around. The commands are based basically on what I laided out, the idea that they look for patterns in thought, moving a mouse up vs down and assign a value to the patter to allow the computer to read it. We will probably be at a similar point by 2022 within laboratories (like I rp'd).

As for genetic technology, humans have already successfully cloned a sheep, and we have already decoded the human genome. This opens the door to sex cell/embryo manipulation. We can already clone a human and with some experimentation we could get around the mistakes, its just ethical issues get in the way of development in that field. So its more than certain full scale successful cloning will be possible by that time. On another level, nanotechnology needed to construct an organic body already exists at basic levels in about ten years the self learning nanites will be capable of more complex functions like organic compound construction eg the construction of a body like a human. I personally would say its entirely possible at the given year in so far as enough financing and manpower is present. In the case where large portions of wealth and human resources are being dedicated like a major government project (like the RP) it should be entirely possible. As I said though its entirely irreverent if anyone accepts it anyway as its basically not going to make a difference in RP wars im just doing it for my own personal nation story. Also I do have the NRL wonder which would imply the ability to focus large amounts of money and manpower at specific scientific projects so *shrug*.

Edited by iamthey

OOC: My RP is in the year 2022, right now (2009) rudimentary quantum computers are possible and computers with a processing power up to 20 petaflops exist. Which is essentially 20 million calculations per person on the earth at once. By 2022 its likely full scale quantum computers will be present probably not in actual application but in laboratories basically the technology will be there. Right now the largest projects regarding AI are really just scientific pursuits done at MIT and several other major universities, and they are pretty much hindered by the problem of financing and manpower (there are come corporate projects but against the same problem arises). Which basically puts very conservative estimates (eg the max estimated time as to give the people making the statement a lot of leeway) at about the year 2040-2050 when the first true Strong AI will really be in existence. If enough money and manpower were dedicated to the study itself its likely that the date would be significantly reduced. Furthermore to create a strong AI they will basically need to be able to map a human brain and its functions, which an implant like device would be necessary for (or some other brain to computer interface). Right now we already have a basic brain to computer interface that allows a person to type messages and move a mouse around. The commands are based basically on what I laided out, the idea that they look for patterns in thought, moving a mouse up vs down and assign a value to the patter to allow the computer to read it. We will probably be at a similar point by 2022 within laboratories (like I rp'd).

As for genetic technology, humans have already successfully cloned a sheep, and we have already decoded the human genome. This opens the door to sex cell/embryo manipulation. We can already clone a human and with some experimentation we could get around the mistakes, its just ethical issues get in the way of development in that field. So its more than certain full scale successful cloning will be possible by that time. On another level, nanotechnology needed to construct an organic body already exists at basic levels in about ten years the self learning nanites will be capable of more complex functions like organic compound construction eg the construction of a body like a human. I personally would say its entirely possible at the given year in so far as enough financing and manpower is present. In the case where large portions of wealth and human resources are being dedicated like a major government project (like the RP) it should be entirely possible. As I said though its entirely irreverent if anyone accepts it anyway as its basically not going to make a difference in RP wars im just doing it for my own personal nation story.

OOC: Fair enough.

So the RP is basicaly research being done, that's what you're saying? And a long way from being really implimented?

OOC: Fair enough.

So the RP is basicaly research being done, that's what you're saying? And a long way from being really implimented?

OOC: Kind of, I am going to RP this for about a month or so, I plan to eventually implement it but its not going to really effect anything other than the content of the story. (Im going to coup the present leader of my nation and replace him with Devereaux who basically was screwed over by this guy. He was the previous leader of the company Othran is now the head of. He also was the previous leader of the Imperium when I was RPing that nation). The clones are ultimately just human soldiers at the end of the day, the only difference is they can be manipulated to turn on the existing leader.

Edited by iamthey

OOC: Kind of, I am going to RP this for about a month or so, I plan to eventually implement it but its not going to really effect anything other than the content of the story. (Im going to coup the present leader of my nation and replace him with Devereaux who basically was screwed over by this guy. He was the previous leader of the company Othran is now the head of. He also was the previous leader of the Imperium when I was RPing that nation). The clones are ultimately just human soldiers at the end of the day, the only difference is they can be manipulated to turn on the existing leader.

OOC: Oh, OK, got it. Thanks for the clarification. :)

START://

To: Laboratory NAT6 Director Devereaux
From: Office of the Imperial Alliance General Administrator Othran

Communique: Based on the reporting of Mr. Kaine I am waiving BRP#37 and pardoning your organization for previous infraction. You may proceed with development of your Suboid concept as well as continue to develop a military system concept centered around them. As I do not wish to be further tied to this project I am placing it under the oversight of Mr. Kaine, and sending Dr. Ambrose to assist with funding and manpower needs. In so far as they approve the full resources of the state are at your disposal. Also please forward future requests through to their offices.

//:END

Devereaux read that and smiled. "Good" he thought, he had already developed the technology the only trouble was inefficiency and time, with the funding though that would soon be resolved...

Edited by iamthey

Devereaux was occupied by a deep state of contemplation, the puzzle before him seemed insurmountable. He laid reclined on a shay’s lounge, crinkled balls of paper littered the floor, all ideas but no solutions. The wall sized panes of glass, his form of wall board, were defaced with seemingly random scribbles of wax pen, gibberish to all but their author. The Suboid’s were perfect, he could create them, control them, and train them. He faced only one problem, time frame. He couldn’t create them in a reasonable timeframe. He had tried everything, growth accelerants, hormones, even genetic modification none of it seemed to matter. Regardless of his attempts it seemed as though a capable Suboid would take nearly ten years before it would be fully battle ready, 99.9% of which was the growth and development period. If he couldn’t overcome this his plans would be in ruin…

Standing up from his chair he walked over to his standing desk and removed from one of the drawers a syringe and a vial. He didn’t like to tamper with his mind, but he needed a boost. Filling the syringe to a reasonable dose he injected the liquid intravenously. Nootropics something he had done a little personal work on were a particular type of drug which sped up the synapse firing rates of the mind and sped up brain activity. This particular form he had designed to be very potent, reserved only for rare situations such as this. His analytical powers and focus would be greatly increased for a few hours. As he felt the effects take hold he stared at the board. Having a limited ability to increase his own natural brain function he began to focus even more. Thinking at impossible rates time seemed to slow around him. Looking through the glass panel he felt the room melt away around him. The firing was increasing exponentially in speed to the point where time itself seemed to stop. Standing still he began to rack his brain for an answer. Summoning the Compound Intelligence (AI) he now referred to as Ra he allowed his mind and the CI’s to merger opening a channel of free thought between the two entities. His biological mental power amplified to a point of infinite processing power was for the moment capable of handing the CI’s own processing, his mind was nearly limitless. He began to rapidly access and analyze all the available data on cloning, analyzing chemical compound structures, building and rebuilding them in his mind attempting to find a solution. Suddenly he realized… I won’t create them, I’ll build them… he began pulling every available data source on nano-machine technology. Examining patents and re-designing the existing machines remaking them even smaller. He wrote protocols, and designed self replication processes and fail-safes. As he did so the CI copied the plans to its files ready for him to access at a later date. As the effects began to wear off, he re-sealed his mind, exhausted from just an hour of intense thought he stumbled backward and collapsed on the lounge.

In the center of Michael's lab a cylinder like tank was set up. In it a was a liquid relatively similar to that which is located in a normal placenta, a fairly common fluid manufactured in the Homeland as all children are grown through artificial gestation after genetic corrections are made to their host's donated sex cells. This however would be used for an entirely different purpose. He should have seen it before... using a swarm of nano-machines he had them disassemble one of his fully matured suboids which was still suspended in vitro. As they did so they mapped the body and analyzed its contents to construct a virtual blue print and determine a precise breakdown of its composition. Now he would start the first test of many to see if his theory was actually plausible... checking his list and readings one more time he glanced at his page.

oxygen	37 L
carbon	7.08 L
hydrogen	98.6 L
nitrogen	2.05 L
calcium	645 mL
phosphorus	429 mL
potassium	162 mL
sulfur	67.6 mL
sodium	103 mL
chlorine	63 mL
magnesium	10.9 mL
iron	0.53 mL
fluorine	1.72 mL
zinc	0.32 mL
silicon	0.43 mL
rubidium	0.44 mL
strontium	0.13 mL
bromine	64.2 µL
lead	10.6 µL
copper	8.04 µL
aluminum	22 µL
cadmium	5.78 µL
cerium	4.85 µL
barium	6.12 µL
iodine	4.06 µL
tin	3.48 µL
titanium	4.41 µL
boron	7.69 µL
nickel	1.69 µL
selenium	3.13 µL
chromium	1.95 µL
manganese	1.61 µL
arsenic	1.21 µL
lithium	13.1 µL
cesium	3.2 µL
mercury	0.44 µL
germanium	0.94 µL
molybdenum	0.49 µL
cobalt	0.34 µL
antimony	0.30 µL
silver	0.19 µL
niobium	0.18 µL
zirconium	0.15 µL
lanthanium	0.13 µL
gallium	0.12 µL
tellurium	0.11 µL
yttrium	0.13 µL
bismuth	51 nL
thallium	42 nL
indium	55 nL
gold	10 nL
scandium	67 nL
tantalum	12 nL
vanadium	18 nL
thorium	8.5 nL
uranium	5.3 nL
samarium	6.7 nL
beryllium	20 nL
tungsten	1.0 nL

Seeing that the readings were accurate he executed the list of commands for the nanomachines. Suddenly the water darkened in the center and the swarm of miniature builders began rapidly moving around the tank. He had estimated the process would take three to four days. He'd check on their progress later.

Edited by iamthey

Deveraux stood in the middle of his lab somewhat still amazed by his own handy work. Within the vat was the hibernating body of the first constructed suboid. Standing six foot four, its pale blue eyes, hairless head, and pronounced muscular structure gave it the appearance of a warrior. Ready to begin phase two, he looked down at the computer terminal in front of the tank and entered the needed commands. The tank lifted upward from the floor and began to tilt backward until horizontally parallel with the floor soon after the tank began to drain and the glass casing slid backward toward the top of the now horizontal tank. The suboid was now suspended on a frame what was within the tank. Placing a gurney beneath him he let the frame split and the body fall down onto the soft bedding. Rolling the subject over to a near by computer terminal he restrained the individual. Sedating him he removed a small fiber optic link and linked the suboid's implant to the terminal. "Ra, upload file 1224", he spoke and the compound intelligence did so. Suddenly the Suboid gasped, and seemed to be fully alert.

"Upload Complete" the CI transmitted to Devereaux.

Still gasping the suboid spoke, "Where am I?"

"You are in a laboratory, and don't mind the restraints they were only a precaution... I wasn't sure what would happen to be honest."

"I see, and who are you?"

"I am Michael Devereaux, though you can call me Doctor. Devereaux if you like. However, the more pertinent question is who are you."

"Alright..."

"You are subject 1, signified by the number one preceded by seven zeros. By this I mean you are the first of a new generation of beings. You and those like you have been engineered with one significantly pertinent talent, warfare. It is your mandate as a being to live to defend your creators and serve them in combat when needed, do you accept this mandate?"

"Without question." The response almost seemed mechanical... interesting.

"Good, then as your first task you need to assist me in my own project, and that is to produce more like you. Is that acceptable?"

"Yes." He believed him, the Suboids were not supposed to be capable of dishonesty.

Pressing a button on the terminal he released the restraints on the gurney. "Good, then lets begin, first you are going to want to get dressed." He said handing him a black pair of light cotton battle fatigues, leather boots, and a red beret. The black uniform had his number stitched on it. "Since you are the senior most of your kind you will be one of the highest ranking of your group. There will be a general's committee of seven individuals each with 100,000 soldiers under their command. Beneath you there will be subsequent subdivisions down to divisions of 100 units. While ranking will be determined by seniority internal ranking will exist which is based on performance. There shall be four castes. Trustees, Elites, Adepts, and Subjects. Those who prove themselves worthy through competence, valiance, innovation and any great service to the Alliance shall be advanced, those dishonoring their post and creator shall receive an appropriate demotion, or worse... termination. Trustee's shall be given special privileges, and preference over those beneath them as well as to a significantly lesser degree elites. This will encourage and motivate all to do well, do you agree?"

"Yes."

"Good, then explain to me how you feel."

"I suppose I would say I am hungry..."

"Yes, your stomach has never been used; we will start you on an intravenous diet, them move to liquids, and eventually solid food. In fact i'll get that set up... in the mean time here is a set of tests please do the best you can." He handed him a thick packet, part of it was a mathematics and critical reading standardized test, and the other part of an IQ, and psychological test designed to measure decisiveness and independence. If things had gone to plan he should either score very low on the psychological test or be incapable of doing it within the time limit entirety. As for the Intelligence Quotient he should score either high average or more. The first part was more a test to see if the implant worked properly or not as well as a measure of his reasoning skills. The first part of the test itself was a sort of simulation of a battlefield order, he was given a series of problems and questions to answer, given the means to do so, and asked to do it; that being said how well he did would be a marker of how effective a soldier he would be. He inserted the intravenous drip rich in vitamins, minerals, and glucose. This was the first of many, Devereaux was excited, things were finally moving forward again...

Edited by iamthey

To: The Office of the Executive of Military Affairs in the External Ministry

The enclosed attachment includes a detailing of our most recent, and most successful methods for suboid development you may read at your leisure. That being said while testing is still underway I believe that we would be justified in moving forward with phase two of Project Horus. To this end I request that you speak to Dr. Othran regarding the needs of Project Horus, said needs  are laid out below. I also suggest that we re term the project as Agenda 21 for public, and intra government correspondence. I will be returning to the Homeland soon, once I finish getting my Laboratory ready for relocation I can finish my work there.

NEEDS:

*A facility based on the designs within the attachment; it must be capable of producing our first corp of suboids. This is to be constructed in the homeland, and eventually there will be one in each of our holdings.

*The beginning of a resource reclamation project in north Africa,  norfolk, and Romania collecting and recycling unneeded buildings and machinery leftover from the transitions in the regions. Further the creation of several strip mines in North Africa created to harvest mineral resources from the land, these will be vitally needed in large quantities as part of the Project. Areas in the west, and north which are rich in Iron, Zinc, Bauxite, Lead, Coal, and other mineral resources will be mined, their resources extracted and refined on site. The East will be harvested for its oil, and other similar mineral resources. Romania, and North Western Siberia  which possesses similar resources will also be harvested. Resources that are not immediately used by Horus will be transported back to the Homeland, and Romania for Manufacturing Applications. Therefore the NAT, NWS, and Romania can be used as sources of raw materials leaving Romania and the Homeland as the manufacturing heartlands of the nation. This leave Norfolk as a great trading port, and sets romania, NWS, and the NAT up as independent markets as well as similar trading sources in their regional markets. Anyway point is the raw materials from said locations will be used to support Horus. 

*A new state of the art laboratory for my own work located in the Homeland.

Edited by iamthey

OOC: Did you mention nano machines? I'm pretty certain that we haven't gotten around to being able to produce and use them yet however, if you can provide evidence to the contrary then that will be ok if you can't then I am afraid you can't go ahead with this.

OOC: Did you mention nano machines? I'm pretty certain that we haven't gotten around to being able to produce and use them yet however, if you can provide evidence to the contrary then that will be ok if you can't then I am afraid you can't go ahead with this.

OOC: I responded to this earlier in subtle's questioning you can look at my response there. Conservative Estimates created by uncertain company spokesmen wanting to create time for their companies put the exact technology I described at 2050 which means it could be much earlier. Right now we have rudimentary "stupid" nano-robots however they are capable of learning and with time they will become more and more adept in their abilities. My current tech year is 2022, and this is after ten RP years of research (since I began this right after the Ferrous Pacifican war (generally accepted to have been ten years ago). I would further argue that my NRL wonder, which implies the ability to focus capital on a specific scientific project, would give me the leeway to do this. That aside I would say that your OOC picking at the RP is essentially uncalled for as this gives me absolutely no strategic advantage. I am only RPing this for the sake of my nation's internal storyline and because I find it interesting. I would do this non-cannon however i'd like to at least be able to nominally refer to my rp from time to time. That being said I don't mess with the internal storyline of others unless I see them as an unfair advantage or threat to my own nation; as my previous explanation was satisfactory to the GM who looked at it, and considering how much time I have already invested in it I will be continuing it regardless.

OOC: I responded to this earlier in subtle's questioning you can look at my response there. Conservative Estimates created by uncertain company spokesmen wanting to create time for their companies put the exact technology I described at 2050 which means it could be much earlier. Right now we have rudimentary "stupid" nano-robots however they are capable of learning and with time they will become more and more adept in their abilities. My current tech year is 2022, and this is after ten RP years of research (since I began this right after the Ferrous Pacifican war (generally accepted to have been ten years ago). I would further argue that my NRL wonder, which implies the ability to focus capital on a specific scientific project, would give me the leeway to do this. That aside I would say that your OOC picking at the RP is essentially uncalled for as this gives me absolutely no strategic advantage. I am only RPing this for the sake of my nation's internal storyline and because I find it interesting. I would do this non-cannon however i'd like to at least be able to nominally refer to my rp from time to time. That being said I don't mess with the internal storyline of others unless I see them as an unfair advantage or threat to my own nation; as my previous explanation was satisfactory to the GM who looked at it, and considering how much time I have already invested in it I will be continuing it regardless.

OOC: I see that you have RP'd and put some OOC research into this and all the reasons you stated seem perfectly fine with me and as for it being uncalled for I think you will find it wasn't as everyone always voices their OOC thoughts and arguements on tech and other such issues so seeing nano machines which are a quite advanced piece of technology I asked a question about then and you provided a suitable answer. Thus case closed.

OOC: I see that you have RP'd and put some OOC research into this and all the reasons you stated seem perfectly fine with me and as for it being uncalled for I think you will find it wasn't as everyone always voices their OOC thoughts and arguements on tech and other such issues so seeing nano machines which are a quite advanced piece of technology I asked a question about then and you provided a suitable answer. Thus case closed.

OOC: Alright, I apologize if that seemed a bit harsh, I just get tired of people constantly messing with everyone through OOC comments. A lot of times people derail RPs when there is no real fairness reason to do so. That being said thanks.

OOC: Alright, I apologize if that seemed a bit harsh, I just get tired of people constantly messing with everyone through OOC comments. A lot of times people derail RPs when there is no real fairness reason to do so. That being said thanks.

OOC: No problem and I understand your feelings so no need for any apologies anyhow I will stop posting here OOC and let you get back to your IC posts.

Finally in province one of the Homeland (Kerguelen Islands) for the first time Michael enjoyed the scenic beauty of the surface. Many years ago it had been decided that the surface would remain a biological preserve, and that only specific government projects would be allowed to operate there. The population and, the industrial activities that followed them were sequestered underground, in three massive essentially inverted cities. At the center of the island sat a large array of recantenna, receivers for the low energy microwaves that the Solex array above beamed down. He was on the islands western section, on the slopes of the massive sub-continent beneath them which poked upward creating both the islands and the tall, almost volcano like mountain. After long contemplation he had decided to build his new laboratory and facility in the massive volcanic like crater at the top fo the formation, it would be secluded, difficult to get to, hidden from the surface, and there would be plenty of fresh water.

Standing at the edge of the giant basin below he saw great potential. The altitude and the fact that it was an island meant frequent rain in the summer and constant snow in the winter. As his own project required massive amounts of freshwater this would be perfect. To control flooding he planned to build a draining system into the impermeable rock and a series of large cisterns meant to catch and hold the pools. If there was a time of shortage he would be prepared. In the center he would construct a large spire to serve as living quarters, and would construct a landing pad for a VTOL equipped plane in the event that snowing or raining prevented surface travel. Around it would be a deep set of pools to direct surface water, and around those a circular shaped facility. This would be the production section of the facility itself. Directly beneath the spire approximately a quarter of a mile beneath the surface he would establish his secure labs for research projects and the most sensitive of projects, namely his compound intelligence. This Agenda 21 facility would be fairly similar to the one he had commissioned for Agenda 11 back in the old Imperium. The surface facility would have five levels, two surface floors, and three subterranean. The bottom two sub surface floors would have their inner and outer walls lined with cylindrical amniotic tanks designed for the construction of suboids, or any other biological entity for that matter. The top sub surface floor would be used for final refinement storage and distribution of the different components needed for biological construction. The surface two floors would be for non-sensitive lab work. On all four sides of the facility there would be rectangular barracks to house a corp (100,000) of suboids during the first week immediately after being created as well as the permanent non-suboid staff needed to keep the place functioning. As there would not be a constant need for suboid production the agenda 21 facilities would work on alternative projects during periods of long term peace or limited wars. The only exception being about once every ten years when the suboids would need to be replaced. They planned on engineering a twenty year lifespan into the beings in order to keep the military in good condition. Once they died their bodies would be returned to the facility, broken down and reconstructed to their original state.

Upon being created there would be a week long evaluation period. The first day they would be issued a black set of cloth battle fatigues, boots, and their beret. They would undergo a full medical examination, and a set of psychological tests one designed to measure IQ, and another to measure decisiveness. Followed by a set of subject exams designed to test the effectiveness of the implant. On the second day they would be physically evaluated and drilled to measure the effectiveness of the construction process. This day will test the magnitude of their strength. On the third they would be again drilled though this time to measure the limits of their own endurance. On the fourth and fifth day there would be a series of war games designed to test the effectiveness of the CI's (Compound Intelligence's) strategic control over their actions. They will also be assessed for their ability to employ individual or small group tactics on the battle field beyond the general parameters issued by the CI. On the sixth day they would be equipped with their long term issued weaponry, body armor, and battle field equipment. They would be drilled with this one final time to ensure they can effectively use it. On the seventh day they would be deployed throughout the empire to needed locations. These are less of training exercises as the training already is there, but rather tests to ensure that the upload and the construction process were up to par.

Beneath the facility there would be a network of tunnels to link it together and ensure fully access throughout the facility during the winter season. Below that there would be a Hexlev terminal that will link the facility to the other cities in Province One. Devereaux expected it would be at least six months if not several years before the construction of the facility was completed. Soon things would be as they should...

Edited by iamthey

The personal jet issued to Devereaux touched down in Province II (North Western Siberia), the province his son was now the Provincial Governor of. He had much to discuss before his labs were completed and the first suboid army was introduced into service. Stepping off the jet Michael felt the bite of the utter coldness characteristic to the region. He wondered how anyone had even survived there before the Alliance had moved in with its own city construction which was adapted to the climate. Already they were underground, the runways were sloped downward so that once a plane had touched down it could then taxi into the subterranean cities outer hangers, though being underground only intensified the cold. Outside the plane a small luxury sedan was waiting to pick him up. The Alliance almost exclusively used public transportation however a few personal vehicles were reserved for political, and military leadership clearly he was deemed worthy. The driver stood at the rear passenger door, and closed it behind him as he stepped into the luxurious vehicle. The driver climbed into his own seat and began to drive. "The Governor is expecting you I have been given instruction to take you to his state apartments."

"Very well." They drove. As they entered the city he admired its splendor. The lone one lane high way ran through the center of the massive cavern. Above was an enormous dome encompassing the entire city, and above it visible through the glass the rock mound that lay above the city. Around them were characteristic sky scrapers, and buildings built into the stone itself. Looking ahead the empty freeway appeared to end at a tall set of buildings at the center of the city. "Those are the Administration buildings?"

"Yes sir, functionaries live in and around the buildings and the more important officials actually live in the buildings themselves." They pressed onward turning onto a ramp which took them spiraling upward until it turned straight towards the largest of the buildings. The ramp took them straight into a parking garage somewhere near the middle of the building. The driver exited and told Michael to follow him. Leading him to a set of elevators at the center of the garrage he inserted a key into one of several holes before calling the elevator. "This should take you to the Governor." Devereaux road the elevator to the top before being deposited in a stately set of chambers no doubt belonging to his son.

Standing outside the elevator to greet him, his son walked forward to shake his fathers hand. "It has been so long... I thought you had died." Thomas said the emotion clear in his voice.

"I wanted you to... I wanted you to take my place." He shook his head, "I am not happy with the way things turned out." Both men agreed.

"There is no use lamenting the past, we're done." Michael paused,

"Are we?" he asked.

"Definitely, our wealth is gone, as well as our power, and we don't even have solex to rebuild what we lost."

"Son, im going to make things right; I didn't raise you to be the servant of another party's interests. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to be there to see your future." Michael knew he couldn't ever publicly reveal his existence, his old enemies would return, as well as the grudges of the war that had destroyed the Imperium. However, he could restore his legacy. "Is there someplace we could sit."

"Sure, in here." Thomas led him into his sitting room. Sitting down Michael began to lay out what he intended to do, and his son listened, interested, and perhapse even eager. For once in ten years the weight of all that Michael had lost seemed to evaporate from his shoulders. Soon... the name Devereaux would once again mean something. Soon, his son would have what he deserved.