Project Horace

iamthey

It was early in the morning and Deveraux had just begun the first tour of the project's pilot run. Passing though the long circular and narrow halls of the lower facility he glanced at each bio-tank as he passed them. The bone structures of each suboid appeared to be in the process of forming and he could already see the outlines of major arteries and veins. He watched as a red light blinked on one tank as a thin stream of powdered carbon slipped into the mix suspending itself in the mixture. He stopped and examined the tank in greater detail. It like the thousands of others like it was essentially a cylindrical yet curved pod the base of which attached to a dais full of mechanical dials and meters, and the top of which contained a socket for the many tubes leading to to the element reservoirs on the second floor. The pod was filled completely with what was essentially amniotic fluid, and soon would be occupied by an unconscious suboid. Deciding that everything was normal he carried on. He couldn't wait to see how this run turned out.

Standing before the group he could feel almost… prideful. All the work that had been done was finally coming to a head. Before Michael were 100,000 suboids clothed in simply black cloth battle fatigues taking the first of several written tests to check a number of implant functions. They were presently taking a reasoning test that was designed to check their ability to creatively thinking and reason. They should score relatively high as the intent is to diminish their ability to think independently not reason and work towards set goals. After which they would take a subject exam and then finally be sent back to the barracks for sleep. As the timed test drew to an end, the proctor clicked his watch, “Stop,” He commanded to the group the suboids instantly obeyed. Rather than use scantrons each individual took the test via their own implants. This allowed Ra… or Alice as the CI had recently requested being called, to measure things such as reflex, and response times, as well as thought patters to better model the her subject’s brains. This would allow greater integration as she could then predict future outcomes and behaviors more accurately. Devereaux created a note with his implant. “It is important to note that these suboids are not drones as perhaps originally intended. They feel, think and act perhaps alarmingly similar to normal humans. They just seem to lack the normal independence of an unaltered person.” He looked forward to testing the uplink’s capabilities tomorrow. He wanted to see how synchronized the first part of his… no the alliance’s… army could really be when under the direct control of Alice.

The next day he assembled them at the parade ground like square outside of the facility. The massive crater around them and the pure physical beauty of their surroundings didn’t seem to phase them. They were instructed that they may converse and talk. Arriving at the front of the group Devereaux was looking forward to seeing the group drill. Willing the next step he spoke through his implant, “Ok Alice lets begin.” The iris’s of each suboid seemed to take on a reddish glow as the up-links in each implant activated. “Assemble” Devereaux thought and Alice acted turning the chaotic mass of people into a synchronized block. “Turn” He thought willing the group in the direction he had in mind. The group swiveled 90 degrees. “March” The group began marching straight. “Interesting” He noted. “Alright Alice, run them through our drill routine, you know what to do, great work so far.”

“Very well.” She replied, and the group continued.

Edited by iamthey

It was the final day and all members of the first group of Suboid soldiers had been fully evaluated and checked. They were ready for deployment... They stood before him in their full body suits hermetically sealed each holding the latest in Alliance standard ordinance. They were magnificent. He called them forward to give them one final message. "You all have done great, and you have been the source of great pride to myself. I leave you all with this final message; you are all instruments of greatness. Know that you are all always going to be part of something much larger much more important than yourselves. As the first of your kind you all have the honor of defending this very province, our home land. And for making it through this initial period I here by promote all of you to the rank of Adept. Good luck, it has been an honor." Once they were fully integrated into their positions as soldiers, the existing military forces that they would be replacing would be retired. This would be the case with all future groups of suboid soldiers. Devereaux stepped away from the group and began making his way back to his offices. When he arrived there was a memo-waiting for him.

To: The Agenda twenty one facility director Devereaux.

START://

Once you have completed your replacement army for our existing standing army please create a way to use suboids as a source of labor. From the way you have described they might be exceedingly good at the tasks of manual labor.

//:END

Devereaux was pleased, the final batch of soldiers had been finished and was now on its way to one of many remote locations around the sprawling empire. The internationally private nation had quietly disbanded its former military force, and now was in early stages of introducing suboid labor crews in the Kerguelens. As the "suboid" was still a national secret they would only be deployed within the island, and as for the use of soldiers abroad the full body armor that the military wore, along with the private nature of military bases would minimize knowledge of them escaping too early. Michael was on his way to the offices of Othran a final meeting before Devereaux installed a master implant to control both Alice, and therefore the national defense of the empire. This was essentially his negotiation meeting for payment. The subterranean city of Centre was much different from his son's own city. Things were... compartmentalized. The city was overall a large circle, but its interior was divided into city districts. Public transportation rather than being open, traveled beneath the city making a stop in each district. This ensured that everything was within walking distance. Devereaux having just exited the main hexlev lift from his own facility entered one of the outer districts. This one appeared to be dedicated to entertainment. The City itself had modern appeal to it. The ground was white, and polished to a gloss, the walls were light concrete, and the buildings in the district were glass. Above them the ceiling had a layer of LCD screens which showed the appearance of a sky. Temperature was kept at a temperate level, and lighting was supplied by bright halogen lamps strategically positioned to offer ubiquitous light. Moving to one of the surface openings leading downward to the city’s transportation system. One of the monorail trams had just arrived. Climbing aboard with the crowd standing around it he made his way toward the front set of cars, the ones reserved for members of the upper tier. When he reached the door he was asked for his identification which he promptly showed. The guard a little surprised by the designation marked “Special Status” promptly opened the door and allowed Devereaux into the luxury cab. The room had a rich hard wood floor as well as matching paneling. A fellow group of finely dressed individuals were already congregated. Approaching the bar he sat, removing his identification card once more, he handed it to the bar tender. Knowing that his own status extended to him a limitless expense account he ordered a particularly expensive bottle of wine, and an accompanying cigar. Such an occasion was deserving of celebration. He thought to himself. He took a sip of the wine; deciding that it was too his satisfaction he lit the cigar. The rich favor flooded his mouth, as he puffed the strong smoke. In reality his calm, perhaps decadent demeanor hid a person in a state in utter glee. After months... no years of work he finally was ready to approach the Alliance’s Emperor.

Once the train had arrived at the district located in the exact center of the city, a place known as the “Imperial Center” he disembarked from the train and made his way to the surface. Once there, he found himself standing in a district probably more elegant and exquisite than his own capital had been. In the center of the massive circular district was a grand executive estate, its front façade of a grecco-roman style. On either side of it were large monolithic structures one serving the Internal Ministry, and the other the External Ministry. Around the entire structure in a large circle was a tall stone and wrought iron fence. Outside the fence there was a large parade ground surrounded by the city’s primary financial district; within it was a finely cared for garden, and a small forest. Entering the district at an odd hour he found that no one was to be seen. One of the guards sitting in a small golf cart pulled up. “Mr. Devereaux?” The guard asked

“Yes.”

“The Emperor is Expecting you please climb on I’ll take you through security.”

The cart pulled forward to the front gate which was promptly opened and they proceed through the garden surrounding the executive mansion. Pulling around in a wide arc (following the paved path to the front entrance) Michael was deposited at the foot of a tall set of stairs leading up to a platform behind the columned façade of the building. As he approached the front entrance which was guarded by two royal guardsmen who promptly moved to open the door for the visitor. Entering he admired the splendor of the mansion itself. The floors and walls were constructed pure marble. Before him was a long hall, and to either side of it a semi-circular stair case leading up to the floor above it. The long hall was lined with columns and roughly every ten yards there was a basin of fire sitting upon a block of marble. Parallel to one another on both walls were identical crimson standards bearing the symbol of the nation. One of the stewards approached Devereaux. “His Excellency the Emperor is just upstairs.” The man said referring to Othran. Devereaux climbed the stair case to the right and followed the hall to the end arriving at a single ebony door. Entering he found Othran at his desk across from the door. The room was lined with book cases, and in its center as well as beneath Othran’s desk there was a thick red rug.

“Ah Mr. Devereaux, it is a pleasure to see you.” The man said standing to shake his equal’s hand.

“Likewise.” Devereaux said in a flat tone.

“Is something wrong?” Othran asked noticing the nature of Devereaux’s voice.

“Oh, no its just I have never been one to partake in lying. Its clear you and I have a… negative history. You stole my legacy away from my son, and now command the men who once served me. Let’s call it what it is, you used me and the situation I created to climb into the throne you now occupy.” Devereaux’s replies cut coldly through the mask of warmth which Othran had been wearing.

“You made your own choices Michael, you didn’t have to fire the nukes, you didn’t have to bring justice down upon your nation, but you did. Your choices are what have damned you. Now lets remember this was your offer, and considering the work you have done I am inclined to grant you about anything. Let’s keep this civil lest I change my mind.”

“Well we both know exactly why you wouldn’t do that…” he paused the two stared each other down. Michael resumed. “Anyway, I have decided upon five reasonable requests as payment for my efforts. I will ask each one by one, and as I do so you will accept each one at a time. Upon accepting each one the appropriate contracts and legal paperwork will be initiated by our lawyers who are to be present during the meeting. If at anytime you decide you do not like a request the requests previous to it will stand as payment and I will not conduct the final procedure. Assuming all five requests go through you will awaken two days from now… more or less a god. Is this acceptable?”

“You leave me no other choice.” The two called in lawyers who had been summoned in advance.

“Alright lets begin, Othran said.” Taking a seat Michael began.

“First, I request the material restoration of the Devereaux family trust placed under the management of my son, Thomas. It must be divided as such, 25% will be Alliance Credits, 25% will be an assortment of other strong currencies , and 25% will be in gold, and other hedges. Finally 25% will be in tax free bonds divided over these very three cities encompassing the long term production of their manufacturing output and the mineral output of the Kerguelen plateau. In short I request our trust receive a percentage of this very islands profits in exports to the rest of the nation and the world in perpetuity.” It only took Othran a moment to respond.

“Done.” The laywers immediately began messaging the needed banks and began applied Othran’s seal to a series of documents confirming the act. Once they had done so copies were flash scanned and sent to a series of institutions.

“Second, I request that the Devereaux family be-reinstated into a state of special status, the same status you give yourself and the rest of the former Oligarchy members. This includes coverage of personal expenses by the state, immunity from law, and right of free passage to and from the Alliance.”

“Done.”

“Third, I request the addition of the Devereaux Family trust to the Solex board of partners. As Senior Partner you can do this.”

“Done.”

“Fourth, I ask that you fire that senile individual running the National Governing Party, and replace him with my son.” This one took some pause… “Its your choice Othran, I couldn’t care less if you said no, just know there are consequences.”

“Fine.”

“And Sixth, and perhaps the most important of them all. You must agree that no offspring of yours present or future will serve as an heir to your throne.” Othran tensed.

“Absolutely not.” The man said anxiety in his voice.

“Look Stephen,” both to the lawyers jumped at such a casual use of the emperor’s name, “what I have been working on has taken away twelve years of my life. Twelve years I could have spent as Imperial Regent in my own nation, or as a father with my son. And let’s remember you are the very reason my family lost everything. So when I offer to make you a god, it’s worth a bit more than some money, and a several titles. You have already restored our wealth, made me immune from law, given us back our share of solex, and made my son the head of your political party something not easily undone, this is just one more thing.” The air was chillingly silent and time seemed to stretch… at last Othran hung his head, and let out a large sigh.

“Fine. Now leave.”

“Thank you my emperor.” Michael said almost sardonically. Please arrive at the Agenda 21 facility tomorrow and we’ll begin.

To prevent infection a normal operating room is kept at around sixteen degrees Celsius; this one was no different. The walls were tiled with iridescent navy blue tiles, the kind that had been polished to almost mirrored look. This accompanied the floor which was smooth concrete. Hanging above the central operating table was a rack, and affixed to it were a series of high intensity halogen lamps, each with a diffusing filter to prevent its intense light from blinding the doctors… or the patient. Normally additional technicians would assist Devereaux however for this operation he had insisted that he do it alone… This was of course excluding his own Suboid assistant. Formally known as Trustee 01, Lloyd stood a full six feet. As Michael didn’t demand typical military protocol he had grown his sandy blond hair out a bit, and possessed a pair of deep blue eyes. Wearing a lab coat and a pair of scrubs beneath it, he stood watching attentively as Devereaux made the final preparations. On the metal operating table Michael had already shaved Othran’s head, and began cleaning the right temple and the surrounding area with a strong anti-septic. Totally under general anesthetic and a paralyzing agent Michael lifted the unconscious man’s head and placed it in a frame designed to hold it steady. Taking a scalpel he cut a two square inch section out of the subject’s skin surrounding the area just past the temple. Soon after he removed a small drill and aligned its bit with the guide built into the frame and began slowly pressing it until it made contact with the skull. The room filled with the grinding sound of metal on bone, as the high frequency rotation of the bit began to penetrate the skull. As the bit went deeper he felt the skull slowly give under the bit until at last he knew it was just about to break through the skull. He cut the flow of power. Removing the bit he repositioned the guide and drilled another, and another. Until a small equilateral triangle was formed by the three holes. Unbolting the guide he replaced it with one designed to hold a bone saw. Taking the small circular saw he slowly lowered it into the horizontal guide into the slit. As the saw made contact the frequency of the sound dropped as the blade started to bore its way through the skull. Proceeding has he had with the bit, he let the blade unite each of the three holes. Taking a small chisel like tool he tapped through each slit and removed the section of the skull. Taking a new scalpel he cut through the thin outer sack that surrounds the brain finally exposing the gray mass. Taking a small needle which would be used to insert a component of the implant he inserted it into the mass and angled it toward the area dealing with the transmission of sensory information. He did this once more implanting a second probe just beneath the bodies control center for involuntary activity… the medulla oblongata. Planting both links he withdrew the tool. Withdrawing he took an outer section of the implant, it was a small disk with a mount for a second piece and four needle like electrodes. He pressed the electrodes into the cerebral cortex until the small disk was flush with the brain. Taking an outer device for transmission and processing he activated it. He then pressed the activated cube up against the disk. He had told Othran that he would be giving him the master implant, unfortunately he no longer had that to give. In his visit with his son (in province II) six months ago he had installed the true key implant into him. In actuality this was nothing more than Michael elegantly setting up the brain of his enemy to be more or less fried. As the cube made contact the electrodes and links surged quickly burning up the right cortex. Almost simultaneously similar surges occurred in both the sensory sections of the brain, and the Medulla Oblongata. The man’s heart stopped... In a great show Devereaux removed the man’s head from the frame and began to attempt to resuscitate him… all for the benefit of those who may or may not watch the video footage o the event. Acknowledging that the man was dead Michael stepped back and shut down the video footage. “Alright… Lloyd clean him up, and make it look good.”

“Certainly.” The Suboid responded. Michael left the room. He’d give the Suboid an hour to ensure that the procedure looked entirely legitimate... then he’d notify Othran’s staff, and soon after his own son...

Edited by iamthey