What determines Starting Resources?

The Libra

Howdy there. I'm a serious n00b at this game, already ruined my first country, and waiting to be able to delete my nation and start over after having read the Nation Building Guide. Unfortunately, what I can't seem to find an answer to is what determines the resources that a country has initial access to. Is it totally Random? Is it based off the CIA World Fact Book, or something else?

For instance if I wanted Fish, would I need to choose a nation known for having a great fishing industry (like Iceland) or just have an island to have the Fish resource, or would I need to choose some place right on the coast, or could I get it even if I chose a spot in the middle of the Sahara Desert?

People choose nation names like Crayola Crayons- names completely unrelated to a rl country. So it has to be random.

I guess he thought the map had some influence.

For the new guy: The map has no influence at all, it's just a gimmick which might be fun.

The resources you get when you created your new nation are in fact random. Bear in mind that by re-creating you may well face resources you like even less.

Please make sure you do not create your new nation until your old one is deleted.

But on a side note. Are you a member of an alliance? Those guys can often help young nations who think they have messed up.