Barracks Oddity

Kryievla

Nation: Volsunga

Link: My nation :P

Hi! I'm having a weird thing happen with barracks.

I had one improvement slot available, bought a barracks, and went to -1 slots.

Testing, dropped the barracks, went to 1 slot available.

Bought a single barracks again, went to -1 slots.

I don't know why one barracks takes 2 slots, unless there's an enviro penalty or something, maybe you can clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Kry

I thought that Barracks and GC are like border walls and they lower total population?

I may be wrong though.

They do if they cause the soldier efficiency total to exceed 60% of working citizens at which point you suffer a one point hit to your environment. And since the changes made to environment, that point is worth around 1.73% of your working citizens. The OP has 61,521 working citizens. He has 24,495 soldiers. This is modified by having Aluminum (+20%) and Pigs (+15%) as resources and having Federal Government (+8%) as his government. That looks like:

(24,495)*1.20*1.15*1.08 = 36,507

This is just under the 60% of working citizens mark that kicks in the environmental penalty at 59.3%. By adding the barracks, it boosts his soldier efficiency to 40,158 and well above the 60% mark (65.3%) needed to cause the environmental penalty. That penalty in turn causes a drop in working citizens. And that loss of population is just enough to drop him under what is needed to have 62 improvement slots, so he loses a slot. Delete the barracks and everything reverts back to the way it was. His soldiers are under 60%, he regains the lost environment hence regaining the lost population and regains the lost improvement slot. That is what he is seeing happen.