Best time to start building airforce/navy

What's the best time to start purchasing your aircraft and naval vessels? I've heard asap, and I've heard not to bother buying anything until you can buy the top levels.

One can fly aircraft assaults all seven days of a declared conflict. So if you don't have any aircraft, anyone attacking with their own aircraft gets 2 free shots at you. If you're not fighting and not expecting to fight, you need just enough cover the first round's casualties. Otherwise, get the best you can afford at the time.

Even 'lower level' aircraft can be useful...started with L2's as I was attacking some targets at the time...as I grew I deleted and replaced with higher level craft as needed <<shrug>>. I'm running all L9s atm...beyond my current max, technically, since I lost construction recently... Oh well...that will be fixed in time.

As for naval...folks are still experimenting with it. Me, I'm at 4k infra and have a small navy....mostly to mess with any blockade attempts....if I catch the attacks early enough...I can replace any losses as they occur... A bit more time and I'll have a larger navy.