Land errors, war and reporting

diskord

Since land is now computed as part of the defense value of a nation, when defending it would be nice if you got your "modified" land total, not your base land total (otherwise, whats the point of the modifiers?)

Also, when using the nation ranking screen it once again uses the base land value, not the land modifier, but when you click to view the nation you view their modified land amount...

Thats all.

It's always been this way...

... is not a good reason not to look at the idea, right?

...and there's really not a good efficient way to change this.

this should be discusse.

At least I agree that for the battle- and NS-calculations, your nation-size (after all modifications) should count. Because either your nation IS 5,000 miles large, or it ISN'T (from the realism point of view). If these modifiers are only in the game for the sole purpose of lowering the population density (which with ~0.01% of all players have a problem anyway), then these modifiers are not even worth looking at.

The following resources in the game provide a land bonus:

Coal (15%)

Furs (10%)

Rubber (20%)

Spices (10%)

Sugar (5%)

Wheat (5%)

After looking at this, I would say the implemention would even make sense from a balancing point of view, because Coal, Furs and Rubber are clearly "weaker" then Spices, Sugar or Wheat right now. They would be boosted a bit (even if the effect is really marginal) in comparison so the others and shift the balance in the right direction.

An implementation would have my full support, because it is not only logical to do it that way, it also is benefital to the resources balance.

Btw: the imho best solution would be simple to get rid of "land modifiers" (its quite unrealistic that importing a certain resource would magically grow your land by 2,000 miles, and when you stop importing it your land magically shrinks). Just make them apply to the land purchase costs and people can buy as much land as they like. By importing land-cost lowering resources they could simply purchase 20, 10 or 5% more land for the same price and you save the hassles of modfiying around in an unrealistic way.

Edited by (DAC)Syzygy

How about this for an implementation solution (would probably require a brief 5 minute outage or something).

Update everyone's "base" land amount in the database with their modified amount, then drop all the modifiers out of code.

Then, modify the code so that whenever you "aquire" land (steal, buy, donation, etc) your base land value is increased by base amount + modified amount.

So if you nab a resource like say... Coal, you get no "immediate" benefit. But if you have it for a few months, get a bunch of land, and then drop it later, you still get that boosted land amount even after you drop the coal.

Pretty simple fix, stays within the current system, and gets rid of the whole "modified" amounts and makes it easier to track.

Also as a side note, I would say that if you have land modifiers, and you attack someone, you still only can steal a max of 75 land, but the amount you get back is 75 + modified amount... but implementation however you want is fine.

Just my .02 on how to fix this bug.

Edited by diskord

Also note, this change would also fix the ridiculous "negative" land error that we see from some events. Instead of having a -15% land for the next 30 days, you just have the event do a one time reduction of the land by 15%, call it good, and although the event is "active" for 30 days (shows up in the event screen) it persists forever. Which again, is more realistic than having land magically coming and going out of your nation...

Also, bumping again because land is one of the last few gaping errors in the game (you got the biggies in soldier modifiers, etc... now lets just knock land out of the park and make everything sync up and work).

It boosts natural growth by 10% (i'd rather it give effective land as you said)

Anyway i think Diskord's idea is pretty good :)

our tests say clearly: furs boost purchased land. either i am in error, or the description is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Since land is now computed as part of the defense value of a nation, when defending it would be nice if you got your "modified" land total, not your base land total (otherwise, whats the point of the modifiers?)

Also, when using the nation ranking screen it once again uses the base land value, not the land modifier, but when you click to view the nation you view their modified land amount...

Thats all.

I've addressed the modified land issue in ground battles. Defending nations now use their fully modified land amounts.

I am unable to address the land issue on the nation ranking screen at this time.