A Great Uprising: The Nation of Nod

The Aether Empire would love to have a diplomat in your nation :P, I've looked through the thread for some time and it seems like our two leaders have a lot in common... Kane and Zarfef are both bald. They both want to take over the world using wild crazy inventions and they both want like the colors Red and Black on everything they have... :P.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: Ok Here is the NDII 'Devastator' Super-Heavy Tank

IC:

Excerpt from "The Great Divide: The Differences Between BoN and NoN Armour and Military Doctrines"

...in the The Brotherhood of Nod's glory days, large mechanized divisons would be spearheaded by Russian-made Heavy Tanks. These lumbering titans would roll infront of the line, cannons blazing, while the Bradley M2s and other light skirmishers would try to out-maneuver and harass the enemy's flanks... this tactic often worked - the Russian MBTs were well armoured and were able to shrug off glancing hits while striking killing blows with the the anti-tank punch their 120 mm guns packed at a reasonable price, an ability the Brotherhood sorely lacked elsewhere... This 'combined assault' tactic resulted in relatively few losses opposed to kills inflicted - if one were to ignore the massive, but permitted losses of the Bradley's...

...however, as technology advanced, these Heavy tanks became glaringly obsolete. Initial provisions to correct this often included the commissioning of larger and larger amounts of these tanks, but soon the Brotherhood and the Nation of Nod's commanders realized that the overbearing cost of replacing Heavy MBT divisions was becoming cost prohibitive - they could not afford to start treating these tanks like the Bradleys. Due to command's inability or refusal to change policy, the NoN was tasked with pioneering its own solution...

Destroyed.jpg

These tank graves are scattered throughout the Ethiopian wilderness - a testament to the will of the NoN's brave tank commanders, and the obsoleteness of the Brotherhood of Nod's mechanized doctrine...

...the NoN tasked the newly founded National Defence Industry Incorporated (NDII) to come up with a new front-line combat system. NDII's scientists and design engineers originally looked into a multitude of different options - most having something to do with a tank that could be easy to mass-produce, but was lightly armoured, with MBT weaponry - however, all attempts down this road lead to nowhere, as the NoN could never even dream of being able to out-produce other larger, numerous enemies.

...this forced the NDII to look to ancient history - it is said that long ago, a small, but elite, well armed and armoured force of infantry was able to stave off a force much larger than it was (exaggerated reports placed the odds at 1:3333). The NDII thus came up with a new armoured doctrine...they aimed develop a tank so heavily armed and armoured that it would be worth many times its number in enemy tanks - it would be capable of taking on multiple enemy MBTs and still come out on top and battle-ready. The designers unofficially dubbed this new design concept as 'War-in-a-Can'...

After much toil, the NDII revealed the fruit of its labour - a monstrosity so overbearing on the battlefield that it forced the NDII to reclassify it as a 'Super-Heavy tank', so destructive that only one name seemed fitting....the NDII 'Devastator' Super-Heavy Tank...

NDIIDevastatorSuper-HeavyTankII.jpg

The 'Devastator' is an aptly named, armoured monstrosity designed to challenge any enemy on the battlefield and be the last one standing. Armed with Dual C130G systems, Dual 'Asylum' Ordinance Projectors, a twin-linked 30 mm Autocannon with a third one manned on the roof and four sponson mounted 9.55mm Torrent Machinegun/AT-R Launcher systems

The Devastator was a huge behemoth dwarfing any MBT system on the Ethiopian deserts. It sported two, independently aimed and fired 'Compact 130mm Gun Systems', capable of firing Armour-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding Sabot (APFSDS), High-Explosive Anti-Tank Fin-Stabilized (HEAT-FS) or High Explosive FRAGmentation (HE-FRAG) rounds at its Commander's discretion. Thus, the Devastator could be outfitted with a variety of rounds to suit the required mission parameters. A high rate of accurate fire (6 to 8 rounds per minute per gun) was ensured by a reliably functioning autoloader system and convenient arrangement of elevating and traversing 'worm screw' mechanisms to allow for swift and fine tuning of the guns' aim...

It also had two 'Asylum' Ordinance Projectors - missile/rocket pods normally mounted on the Nation of Nod's vastly upgraded and fearsome 'Ravager' Heavy Helicopter Gunships - that fired the 'Stabber' Anti-tank/helicopter guided missile. Each missile was based on the highly successful PG29V, an anti-tank rocket intended to defeat most modern tanks fitted with ERA and other active protection systems. The newer, domestically produced 'Stabber' is a 120 mm triple-stack charge, anti-tank guided missile that can be switched to dumb fire in a missile barrage launched from the 'Asylum', or individually launched to engage low flying airborne threats. The 'Asylum' was also capable of housing the smaller 'Spiker' 90 mm unguided rockets in greater amounts than the 'Stabber'. They could be fired in massive volleys to suppress enemy positions and destroy light armour columns.

The Devastator's heavy firepower was only half the reason for its battlefield supremacy however...

...each and every Devastator was equipped with a Three-Tiered Active/Passive Defence, supplemented by many built in survival mechanisms.

Tier One was the 'Deceiver' - an active system designed to disrupt enemy Anti-tank Guided Missiles, be they laser, thermal or even electro-optically guided. The Deceiver contained an aerosol grenade launching system that masked the tank from laser rangefinders and designators as well as the optics of other weapons systems and a modular laser system to 'blind' any missiles that managed to surpass the screen that can also be used to confuse the thermal scanners of other missile systems.

Tier Two was a double layered front-to-back network of housings for advanced ERA tiles. Each tile was a specially placed explosive sandwiched between two ceramic carbide plates - the plates themselves could widthstand standard .50cal and 20 mm autocannon rounds and were highly resistant to 30 mm shots. When hit with a tank gun round however, the explosive would detonate, causing the top plate to slide sideways, forcing the impact of an enemy round to be spread across more armour and in the case of penetrators, may break them in half without damaging the underlying plate, which then serves as an extra layer of armour on top of Tier Three.

Tier Three was the Devastator's own Heavy Duty Hull Armour - consisting of Nod Heavy Tank Armour (Kevlar lining, ceramic titanium plates sandwiched between Nod's top secret armour composition material and a controlled deformation section.

Built in survival mechanisms included CNB protection, automated firefighting systems, hardpoints for frontal dozer blades used for mine clearing and extra armour [OBSOLETE! Replaced by the RORS II!] or more currently the RORS II system that was developed for the NMI Defender system. The Devastator also contained a complete system redundancy for all vital components and systems...a hit that would otherwise disable the tank would merely slow the lumbering juggernaut down, and give its location to the Devastator's vengeful crew...

This system of heavy weapons and supreme defence allowed the Devastator to take on any number of combatants and still have a high success and kill ratio. It has been documented during the Battle of Addis Ababa that one Devastator successfully engaged 3 actively firing M1A1 Abrams heavy tanks used by enemy militants simultaneously, single-handedly and at extremely close quarters - although the crew eventually sacrificed their lives and the tank to critically disable a fourth by ramming it...

...the Devastator still had flaws, however...

...the Devastator was worth its weight in gold, both on the battlefield and in its high costs in construction - it cost as much as two contemporary M1A1 tanks (approx 10 million USD) ...it consumed huge amounts of fuel compared to other AFVs and was a logistical nightmare when it came to ammunition usage.

The tank had a gross-weight of 75 tonnes, which placed stress on the ability of this tank to be airlifted into the battlefield - only specially stripped down airlifters could handle the Devastator's colossal weight - even the mighty 'Harbinger' Assault Transport had to forgo its troop carrying capacity to handle the Devastator. Commanders' thus had to carefully pre-place the 'Devastator' on the battlefield almost confining the tank to a defensive role. Although the tank had an operating distance of 300 km, it was severely hampered by its size and and weight - the Devastator could not use some local bridges and roads due to it being grossly heavy...

...Devastators often were the first targets of the enemy - wise enemy commanders often tried to single out the Devastator for a quick destruction, lest his forces be annihilated. This reason and the Devastator's slow speed meant that it was the prime target for Anti-tank infantry squads, low flying close air support units and anti-tank vehicles - although the enemy had to lose several units and spend a large amount of ordinance to destroy the Devastator, it still meant that there would be one less juggernaut to face. This lead to a quite ironic fate for the Devastator - it was usually the first tank to fall in massive battles under combined weapons fire from several different enemies...

It was in the face of these glaring oversights that the NDII looked for an alternative to the Devastator. They eventually came up with the NDII 'Defender' Heavy Tank program, but found that it lacked the decisive punch of the Devastator. Thus, the Super-Heavy tank was not removed from active service and shared an almost symbiotic bond with the Defender - the Defender, with its faster speed and agility would handle enemies that managed to out maneuver the Devastator, while the Devastator dealt with heavier opposition with impunity.

....the Devastator lived up to its name - the introduction of this tank unto the battlefield often single-handedly turned the tide in the NoN's favour and helped the fledgling nation break away from its parent, the Brotherhood of Nod - the BoN had no hard counter to the Devastator and lost deplorable amounts of men and MBTs to forces made up of relatively few amounts of Devastators. This overall huge success for the up-and-coming NDII and other subsequent developments caused the NoN to officially commission the NDII to be the sole producer of all national Armoured Fighting Vehicle needs...

OOC: Specifications will be coming...

Edited by Executive Minister

The Aether Empire would love to have a diplomat in your nation :P, I've looked through the thread for some time and it seems like our two leaders have a lot in common... Kane and Zarfef are both bald. They both want to take over the world using wild crazy inventions and they both want like the colors Red and Black on everything they have... :P.

Hm...Kane isnt our leader, hes our soon to be formal ideological leader - acting leader is the Executive Minister, and although he never shows his face in public, is definitely not bald :lol1:

OOC: This is a continuation of John's Epic...ive had a bit of thinking time and decided to continue - the cure to writers block is time, pure and simple

NOTE: SOME MAY FIND THIS POST DISTURBING READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!!EDIT:Not really...the real stuff is happening next post

...there just isn't any rest for the weary...

After my grueling 15 lashes were done, the guards took me off the arch. As they walked me off the platform and the observers in the rafters started to leave, I started to notice things I never really noticed before...

...I felt tingly all over...with every step I took I could feel each individual force acting on my tendons - a slight pain shot up through my ankle up to my knee every time I placed my foot down. With every breath I felt each individual muscle in my chest whine in protest. I started to notice a dull ache over my entire body...everything felt sluggish - the only thing that still felt alive and sharp was a throbbing pain on my back from the lashes. It was so intense and clear I could almost picture the slashes using the feeling of pain as my guide. I looked down at my hands, they were trembling - not out of fear, I felt strangely calm, almost as if I was some serial killer, looking over my latest handiwork on a victim...

...the guards eventually left me alone; one of them clasped my shoulder and gave me an affirming nod, I flinched at the sudden human contact, but quickly regained my composure and nodded back.

As I walked into the trainee barracks, there was a great murmuring going on - I could hear snippets of conversation, all of them with me as the subject, not all in a favourable light...

"Did you see how that guy took those lashes?" one voice said, "he didn't even make a sound or cry or nuthin man!"

"Dude, that guy is hardcore man! Hardcore!" another replied, "what the hell did he do anyways?"

"Man that guy is a freak! I think hes one of those sado-maso guys...i bet he liked it!" a less favourable voice declared...

I chose to ignore all the stares and comments, and walked over to my section of the barracks. I saw Kevin talking excitedly with other recruits, so I walked over. Kevin rushed up to me.

"Man, you took that like a champ! Command's gunna have to think twice before messing with you!" And with that he led me over, towards where I came from, to the restrooms. I felt a prescence behind me, and turned to look and see Oshibutu walking on my other side, he did not make a sound and didn't stop staring ahead as we walked, but he said "You have great strength....You also now have a great name...you must quickly kill your name before it kills you..."

I turned ahead and didn't say anything, I just mused on what he said and decided he was right.

As we entered the main hall, the three of us could see all the other trainees at the facility had assembled on either side of the hall. I looked back and noticed my other cell mates had gathered behind me - as if we were in some kind of procession. Thats when I heard the chanting...

"Michaelson! Michaelson! Michaelson! Michaelson!" the hallway was filled with the triumphant noise, each and every man in the hall raised a fist with each chant. The ones closest to me moved forwards to congratulate me, to pat me on the back. The sound was deafening, and that, coupled with the pats made me feel a bit nauseated. Oshibutu and Kevin noticed and started to part the growing crowd infront of us, like two bodyguards.

As I passed by the crowd, I could see varying states of dress - some had on their black uniforms, others had varying amounts of black carapace on them, some looked like they just finished live combat training with blood stained practice garments, and others seemed to have just gotten out of the shower with nothing but a towel wrapped around their waists and shaving cream still on their faces! The only thing they all had in common was the chanting. It gave me a sense of pride to have overcome such a great hardship, and I felt a surge of happiness and relief in my chest, I was one of the guys, and I felt at home.

"The Lost Boys eh?" Kevin smiled at my side. "I like it... the decision's up to you, of course, but I think that's what our Cell should be called from now on."

[...]

Over the next months, we were told that we would be performing this advanced conditioning program. It sounded harmless enough at the time, but we later found unpleasant surprises in the most unlikely situations...

...the most important feature of the PET's 'advanced conditioning' component is the lack of time given to each individual to reflect on what is ahead of him. A recruit undergoing the program would be subject to unpleasantness, danger and terror unexpectedly - the idea was that it wouldn't give us time to be scared. When we overcome, we will become proud of ourselves, our daring, determination and ability to take risks. After more and more surprises, we would eventually be fearless...

Sometimes, there would be a hold up at the main elevator, and one of us would be late for combat instruction class - we later learned these hold ups and lates were part of the program - we would enter the classroom with our apologies ready when a live snake would be thrown around our neck.

On a Saturday night, after a long days work at the gym, we would be grabbed from behind with a cloth bag thrown over our heads and be locked in a small room with a rabid dog - our only defence was an entrenching tool...

These and other 'incidents' gave us all a sense of apprehension at first, but as time went on we realized that we had no fear of whatever was to come, because the most frightful things were already behind us. Boy were were wrong...

[...]

Another crucial element of our 'Advanced PETs' was the lesson of not being afraid of killing and more specifically...blood...

This is more difficult for us Heavy Infantry and Elite Cadres, as is for the normal Light Infantry. Regular soldiers were mainly taught to kill at 300 - 400 metres or more. They would not see their enemies faces, their job we be to simply aim, hold their breath and squeeze the trigger with fluidity. They were taught to aim and shoot using practice dummies during peacetime - during war the enemy would often look like the same dummies. Blood that a Light Infantry man would see would be his own or that of his comrades' - both would instill a sense of rage and vengence. With all these factors into play, the regular soldier within the NoN would 'kill' with no remorse.

Our lessons however were much more complicated...we were often trained with Close Quarters Combat (CQC) in mind. We were told that we'd often see the enemy face-to-face. The blood we'd see would be their blood, and we would all realize that essentially we were murdering an innocent man. Thus, the 'Advanced Conditioning' portion of our PETs ensured that we would 'do the job' and do it without hesitation or pangs of guilt and conscience...

In the past, it was thought that soldiers could gradually get used to blood and killing gradually - start off small, then work your way up. However, the higher ups threw out this concept. Our first encounter with blood should be quite unexpected and in gratuitous amounts. We were continuously taught to be prepared for many monstrous things that would spring up infront of us during battle without any warning at all...

[...]

It was a normal day it seemed - the previous night it had been raining heavily - and everything smelled like dew. We all did our normal routines and then assembled infront of Sgt. Konig.

"Today we will be doing a mock 'mop-up' mission with live ammunition. Get suited up and be ready to roll, your Cell Leaders will be given the co-ordinates on the site. When you have located the area, there will be targets for you to fire upon. I cannot stress how much control you must have with your new 'Sentinels' - yes thats right I've seen to it that you lot recieve your service rifles now - but be warned! Others have already been sent on the mission before you to strike the enemies main force. You will be cleaning out the survivors! I will not tolerate sloppy usage or maintenance of these weapons, you've already been through your marksmanship and weaponsmithing courses, so don't screw up!"

We all got assembled and started our long trek. We thought it would be simple enough, but we were wrong - the previously enjoyed rain had made everything slippery and wet. As we marched, we could see Ravagers in the sky, flying in the direction opposite to where we were going, back to base. The pilots saw us, and performed amazing loops and other flying tricks as they flew by. We all waved the helicopters off, feeling lighthearted - today was going to be a good day.

[...]

We finally got to the destination point, and found a dark cellar, with its doors ripped off the hinges. The co-ordinates I was given pointed to the direction of this cellar, so we assumed that we needed to go inside.

"Ok Martin and DaCosta, take point! Johnson and Levy cover our rear. The rest of you, follow me!" I said.

It was dark in the cellar, and as we descended we noticed it smelled dank, as if something wet had been left here for ages. "Everyone, lets light it up!" and with that we all turned on our Sentinel Flashlight Attachments. We scanned the cellar passageway with our weapon lights - we were prepared for any 'surprises' command might have placed for us. Or so we thought...

We came to what appeared to be a large open room, big enough for all of us to enter - it was still dark so I ordered Kevin to light a flare and throw it into the middle of the room. It was here we saw the bodies.

About fifteen or twenty recruits, some in their uniforms and others in armour were strewn about the room, bullet holes evident in them and the surrounding walls. We could see blood on the ground and the remains of an enemy ambush...

OOC: To be continued...

OOC: A continuation....

NOTE: SOME MAY FIND THIS POST DISTURBING READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!!!!

IC:

...as we walked into the room, we surveyed the scene infront of us with utter disbelief... "I didn't know this would be real life-or-death combat!" one of my men said.

"Since when is it been anything other than that here?" I answered, I tried to sound calm, but I caught a hint of terror in my voice.

I looked down. I saw a recruit not much older than I with a death grimace. I looked at the bottom half of his torso and saw that it lay about a metre away from him with his legs, between them and his upper half was a crater probably made by a grenade.

I looked at another body. His head was gone, in its place was what looked like shredded watermelon. Brains were everywhere on the wall behind him.

"Ok, DiBernardo, Wakjiira, Adobei clear these-" I was interrupted by a radio transmission from one of the bodies. I went over to a man with a throughly perforated torso and picked the radio up.

"Say again, I didnt hear that! Over!" I said.

"....*static*er heavy fire!...We need support n*multiple gunshots*...we are pinned on grid *static and gunshots*..."

"Understood, what is your location again? Over!" I desperately cried out.

"...*static*oger that, grid Charlie 13, Delta 37!!!*Gunshots*" was the reply.

"Ok guys," I said, "we are going to move out...don't be scared guys...just-" at that moment I remembered a line my father always used to say "-we're all dead men eventually.... We can't choose how but, what we can decide is how we meet death, so that we are remembered as men!"

With that we exited the room and continued down the cellar. We were running at full speed, when we came to what appeared to be a low ceilinged grotto, filled with knee deep water. We already started splashing about in the sticky liquid towards the final co-ordinates when we noticed the smell...

It wasn't water the grotto was filled with, it was blood! Everywhere we looked there was blood! Suddenly a blindingly bright light flashed on in the grotto, and we saw that we were actually in a giant pool of some sort. To one side we saw Konig standing their with his retinue...

"Ha! You maggots actually made it on time! Now, come on in, the waters nice and warm for you!" he said.

All of us stood still, utter shock on our faces. I looked around, everyone was wide-eyed and hesitant to wade through the horrific mess. We saw the corridor twist ahead, we looked up and noticed rotting cow carcasses hanging from hooks on the ceiling - the maggots occasionally dropping into the pool. There were gutted entrails everywhere we could see. We looked back at the entrance ramp and saw that it was slippery with slimy bits of brain.

I looked over to Kevin - he was ghost white, and swallowing - he was trying desperately not to vomit. I turned round and saw one of my men retch into the pool. Others saw him and soon a chain reaction started. I desperately tried to keep my composure, but in the ruckus caused by the retching, I managed to hide my own vomiting spell.

"Aww, I see you don't like the surprise our friends at the slaughter house set up for you! Do be good guests and oblige their wishes...Oh and don't worry about your comrades upstairs, those are just dummies. NOW MARCH!"

"Come on men lets go!"I said and with that and a wipe of my mouth I started wading deeper into the pool. We found out that it wasn't a knee deep pool, we got waist deep in it soon enough, and in some places it went up to our chests.

The 'Blood Tank' as we subsequently learned the mess was called, was narrow and twisting with a low ceiling overhead. Every once in a while we could see rotten boards, beams and concrete slabs making obstacles we had to overcome. We had to sometimes climb up a pile of debris, only to splash down into waist deep blood on the other side. Other, more traumatizing times, we came up to what we thought was a dead-end, only to read in big white letters "SUBMERGED OPENING", so we had to dip under the surface to get past. While fully immersed, we could feel the warmth of the blood, and when we reached the surface actually taste it on our lips...

It was very limited in overall size, but the layout they made us go through made the whole ordeal seem like a labyrinth or maze of blood. There were many twists, turns, gaps, dead ends and passages.

The worst part however was that the bottom of the 'Tank' was uneven. Time and time again we dropped under, only to come up a thrashing mess of blood, coughing and spitting the horrid substance out.

We finally made it out into the open fresh air again, but we soon learned that the 'Blood Tank' was not the end. Command had determined through trial-and-error that the greatest mistake of training was to bring the exercise to an end after the blood, allowing recruits to clean up and go to bed. If that happened, they realized that the blood ordeal would appear to the men as only a terrible dream. So Konig drove us through other obstacles...

The exhausting training exercises were repeated again and again, with no time for rest. We laboured on, caked with blood, without food or drink. They said it would make us stronger - im not so sure - my guess was that they wanted to work us to the bone and feed us to the monstrosity we left behind...

Eventually, after months of repeated 'Conditioning' we grew used to the tank. Almost none of us felt like retching anymore - some of us even felt the smell calming - it was something we were used to, something routine. There was blood throughout our training - blood on our uniforms, our boots - it was nothing new to us after a while. There was blood here, blood there and inbetween lots and lots of fighting, gunfire and explosions.

Sometimes we'd have to crawl under some barbed wire - oops there's sheeps innards underneath - lets just crawl over that, forget about the plain ole ground! On the firing range? What a surprise, your surrounded by chunks of rotting meat!

These were all standard tricks in the NoN's PET. To increase the effect the instructors were constantly creating situations in which we were obliged to get blood on our hands. Sometimes we would need to scramble up a wall, only to reach the top and feel that all too familiar sticky liquid. You could either 1) Drop down and break your legs, or 2) Hang on tighter, put your chin on that disgusting sill, shift your weight, pull yourself up and swearing profusely go on your way...

The process of familiarising the Nation of Nod's men with the sight and the reality of blood is not in the least intended to make us into sadists we were instructed. It was simply that blood was something we would frequently be dealing with in wartime. A soldier must not be scared of the foul liquid. A medic works continually with blood and so do butchers. What would happen if a medic or butcher were suddenly afraid of blood?

The tank of blood was remembered by us as something quite ordinary in a whole series of painful experiences.

OOC: To be continued

OOC: Very nice post. Personally it messes me up to read RPs in first-person but if it suits your tastes then continue.

Basically, im using first-person for John Michaelson's past accounts of Pre-split NoN life in the military. In my first post on his mini-bio, 'he' said that he'd tell the reader everything of importance up to the 'present'.

So it will be in first person until it gets to the 'present' for him, then it will be in third.

But to make things a little more complicated, John's present, is in fact the past...

We would like to purchase 3 of both tanks.

ok which ones? I have three different kinds, light, heavy and super-heavy...

Also guys for future references, any and all weapons orders shud b pmed to me, followed by an appropriate RP thread between myself, the Nation of Nod, and you and your CNRP nation, ty guys and thanks I am getting close to 1k views!!!

Lol, damn the faceless internet!!!!! Oh and on a side note I just realized you were a Mod :wacko:

OOC; not a mod...just a GameMaster. If there's a dispute on an issue pertaining to rules, I or another GM gets called in to settle it.

But i can't give anyone warnings or suspensions... :D

Edited by Subtleknifewielder

OOC: Ok guys I gotta hurry with these military posts, i might have a war to deal with in about 3 days....

Presenting

IC:

An excerpt from "On Divergence: An Annotated History of the Nation of Nod"

When word of Kane's demise at the hands of his enemies reached word throughout the organization, the Brotherhood of Nod predictably fragmented into several warring tribes; all vying for control of the remains of the Brotherhood, but still a part of the same body...

One such fragment managed to remain isolated from the others. Located in Ethiopia, the forerunners of the Nation of Nod, the 'Brotherhood of Nod - Ethiopian Chapter' was a particularly notable fragment that managed to subvert neighbouring factions and assert a certain peace and stability...

The time from before Kane's death up until the Executive Minister's declaration of independence from the Brotherhood of Nod was known as the 'Pre-split Era'...

...when the Executive Minister of the Ethiopian Chapter announced that he was to become the Executive Minister of the newly declared Nation of Nod, and announced that Kane, The Brotherhood of Nod's 'deceased' leader, was

'...a traitor to Nod, the Brotherhood and everything we have worked to achieve!'

it was common knowledge that this fledgling Nation would be immediately singled-out as a target for the religious zealots within the different factions of the Brotherhood - although they fought each other, they still met 'blasphemy' against Kane with a shared rage...

...the Nation would desperately need an adequate military force to stem the tide of enemy Nod Insurgents and develop a national weapons manufacturing industry that was localized - although the Nation became a separate entity from the rest Brotherhood, indeed even an enemy of it, the Nation of Nod was still treated as the Brotherhood's cohort and was included in the blanket resolution of a World-wide weapons embargo on the Brotherhood and all its affiliates...

20071302_G_001sized.jpg

Men like these - poorly trained and armed, but numerous, and led by the Elite Super-Soldiers of The Brotherhood of Nod - would be the Nation of Nod's primary adversaries

The Nation of Nod immediately seized all private and national properties owned by the Brotherhood and its proprietors in the former state of Ethiopia. Fortunately for the NoN, the Brotherhood held vast military storage and research holdings in Africa that was protected and serviced by locally recruited garrisons who threw all their efforts into helping the uprising capture these sites and set their new nation on an advantage.

Unfortunately, these sites were manned by Kane loyalists who, fervently believing these uprisings to be blasphemy, destroyed much of the highly advanced laser, stealth and plasma technologies privy only to Kane's closest followers...

This did not stop the uprisings however - many industrial and weapons research facilities were confiscated, consolidated and relocated to Addis Ababa, formerly the largest population center in Ethiopia, and currently the Nation of Nod's 'Temple Secundus', or Capital City.

The term 'Temple Secundus' has been a point many outsiders do not understand. If the Nation of Nod decided to break away from the Brotherhood of Nod, why cling to old traditions? Interviews with locals and top-level scholars have shed some light on this puzzling point.

...the 'Brotherhood of Nod' is not the actual enemy, they claim, it is in fact those who follow the 'Brotherhood of Nod' led by Kane that are the villains. The Nation of Nod sees these Kane loyalists to be the followers of a madman, a madman who had betrayed all the Brotherhood stood for, for some undisclosed reasons only the Executive Minister and his own Inner Circle are aware about...

The Brotherhood of Nod is not simply a name, they state, but a larger picture - Nod being the certain set of teachings, beliefs and mindsets that the populace follow, and the Brotherhood being the vast network of followers who follow them. It is from this belief that the citizens of the Nation of Nod say that they are all that remains of the true Brotherhood of Nod, and that the others are simply Kane's pawns....

This uprising, and all subsequent conflicts with the Brotherhood up to the final and decisive 'Battle of Addis Ababa' was called the 'Great Divide'

During this Great Divide the Nation of Nod was for a time under a new-found state of peace and prosperity, however during the latter parts of the Divide, the Nation was embroiled in a bitter, fratricidal war - Brotherhood forces rolled into the outskirts of Ethiopia. The Nation's newly founded military was put to the test. For a time, its mix of low numbered but highly trained, armed and equipped soldiers, tanks and aircraft was more than a match for the masses of poorly trained militants that the Brotherhood sent at them. During these victories, however, the Brotherhood retaliated with a massive Fuel-Air Bombardment of Addis Ababa. Bombers, disguised as friendly aircraft and civilian transports, ravaged the once beautiful city.

However, in spite of this tragic event, National forces had a slew of victories against the invaders. Pushing them farther, and farther away from the City's remains...

Unfortunately, a great trap befell the defenders. As they pushed the Brotherhood forces farther and farther away, it left the City once again open to attack.

A massive aerial, amphibious (aided by the Islamic States of Africa) and subterranean invasion occurred. Most of the National military might had been cut off, with some being destroyed in this daring move. The Brotherhood's aim was to enter the Undercities - these 'Undercities' were the real population centers of the Nation of Nod, the surface being essentially an elaborate ploy - to finish the deed they had started...

The Nation had grown complacent during its period of settling down, building its grand city and underlying infrastructure - underestimating their former brethren's disregard for their soldiers' lives - they did not forsee such a costly feint, however, the Brotherhood of Nod underestimated the Nation of Nod's airlift capabilities - National forces were scrambled back to Addis Ababa. Many were airlifted directly into hostile zones, joining, and eventually leading the City's garrison in a massive, desperate defence of the City's remains and underlying infrastructure.

HindsEngagingenemycopters.jpg

As the frantic battle of Addis Ababa raged on, all of the Nation of Nod's military might was brought to bear on the enemy - here are three early Ravager helicopter gunships engaging foreign-made 'Blackhawk' transports with 'Stabber' anti tank/helicopter missiles...

The defending forces were greatly outnumbered, and war-weary however. After a valiant defence, the Brotherhood pushed the defenders deeper and deeper into the City center...soon all that remained to block Brotherhood from performing a wide-scale fratricide was Temple Secundus and the remaining defenders. Located at the center of the city, Temple Secundus was almost totally surrounded by enemy Brotherhood forces pouring more and more men and equipment into the City's streets...

But it was the Brotherhood's turn to fall into a trap. In addition to infrastructure, the Nation of Nod had placed huge networks of Napalm and High Explosive bombs throughout the temple's adjoining city blocks - all were detonated - creating a great swath of fire and destruction emanating from the Temple Complex , destroying a significant portion of Addis Ababa's invaders.

11_28Weeks_BD_firebomb.jpg

A wave of destruction rippled from the Temple complex, sweeping the surrounding area clean of invaders until it left only the temple's defenders standing

This 'Great Purge' severely crippled the Brotherhood's hold on the city, allowing the remaining NoN forces outside the city to link up with the defending forces. Subsequent battles within the City limits were merely the Nation of Nod's mop-up of remaining Brotherhood forces...

Eventually the entire city, and nation were taken back. The Brotherhood was essentially destroyed, and no longer held any semblance of existence in the world. The Nation of Nod rebuilt itself to become the military and economic beacon of self-sufficiency and stability in Africa...

EDIT: DONE

OOC: In order to assuage Subtle's grief :P , here is the info on the various military production agencies within the Nation of Nod

IC:

An excerpt from "Peace Through Power: A Compendium of Facts on the Brotherhood of Nod"

...when the Nation of Nod ceded from the Brotherhood of Nod controlled by Kane's ideologies, it was immediately cut off from all external military aid. Fortunately, there were several arms and armour corporations located within Ethiopia that served their former parent entity:

• Hibret Machine Tools Engineering Complex - specialized in production of medium weapons
  • Gafat Armament Engineering Complex - specialized in producing wide range of infantry equipment that meet military-grade specifications
  • Homicho Ammunition Engineering Complex - specialized in producing wide range of ammunition for use
  • Bishoftu Motorization Engineering Complex - a repair and overhaul center for heavy armament, tanks and military vehicles
  • Dejen Aviation Engineering Complex - a center for overhauling and upgrading military aircraft with a primary objective to provide depot level maintenance and carry out upgrading/modification to combat aircraft
  • Nazareth Canvass and Garment Factory - produces and supplies military uniforms, canvas, leather and strap products
  • Zuqualla Steel Rolling Mill - provides steel for heavy industries - specialized in production of heavy armoured vehicle systems, parts and manufacturing products

NMIPerforatorManufacuring.jpg

A view of the NMI's automated manufacturing facilities - seen here building NMI 'Perforator' Anti-Materiel Rifles

During the Great Divide, the Nation of Nod consolidated all these firms into three major sectors of arms and armour - the NMI, 'Nod Military Industries' for ballistic weapons and infantry equipment, its Sister-Corportations, the NDII, 'National Defence Industry Incorporated' for armoured vehicle production and the MILAC, 'MILitary Aviation Complex', tasked with overhauling, updating and manufacturing aerial weapons systems and vehicles.

HarbingerAssaultTransport.jpg

A worker seen here inspecting a newly minted and thus bare-boned MILAC-34 'Harbinger' Assault Transport

...these manufacturing facilities were drastically overhauled, with most of the production being moved to the Undercities, with only a few Corporate holdings on the surface Capital of Temple Secundus and the surrounding city of Addis Ababa.

Due to a history of Russian-sent aid to Ethiopia, much of the production facilities employed a Russian-style manufacturing process - most products were either made with rolled-steel, metal stamped parts and a reliance on vaccuum diodes over transistors for electronics. All of these resulted in a relatively affordable, low-tech but highly reliable and resilient localized armed forces.

The Nation of Nod at first had a large surplus of Russian made AKM's, RPG's, Mil-24 Hinds, T-Series tanks, 7.62 x 54 rounds and all their associated parts. The Nation embraced these old gifts and upgraded, modified and created new weapons based on these reliable foundations - hence, even the newer, self-made weapons of the Nation of Nod had a distinct 'Russian look-and-feel'...

OOC: here is the info on the NMI 'Sentinel' Modular Combat System (MCS) the first weapon to come off the conveyor belts of NMI...

The MCS is Battle rifle I based on the awesome-looking Troy M1A/M14 MCS. NMI's MCS is the standard light infantry service rifle, but is also in use with other branches, due to its power, reliabilty and customizability.

IC:

An excerpt from "The Technology of Peace: Nod Military Industries (NMI)"

...in the initial stages of the Nation of Nod's independence, command desired a national Battle Rifle that would be unique only to the NoN. However, the ban on Arms Imports imposed by the National community prevented the National Military Industries', specifically NMI, access to combat-grade munitions...

...however, the NoN turned to us, the newly formed Nod Military Industries, to come up with a rifle that would use a powerful, domestically produced round - capable of supreme armour penetration or nullification, high accuracy on semi and burst fire, complete customizability and a modular design for different mission requirements...

...on the first issue - the used round - the 7.62 x 54 was the obvious choice. The Nation of Nod had a large surplus of this round and there were many international variants with different usages and properties in mind. However, the ambitious Executive Minister ordered a new round to be used on the grounds of 'National Uniqueness and Identity' as well as the facts that most advanced nations had active protection for infantry against such rounds and that the Nation of Nod lacked a concrete production capability for the 7.62 at the time...

We at NMI, however, are always looking for innovative solutions to pressing problems...

Being an African country, the sport of big-game hunting is a huge industry. It was here that we found the beginnings of a solution - a powerful rifle round and arguably the best-known medium-bore cartridge in the world - the .375 H&H magnum round.

HH.png

The .375 H&H was a classical round suited for big game hunting - a high powered and larger round that out-classed contemporary Full-power cartridges, seen here with common 7.62 x 51 mm and 5.56 x 45 mm rounds from top to bottom

... the H&H was the perfect foundation for the NMI's new battle rifle round - a relatively light weight, flat-shooting, long range bullet that with a bit of tweaking could be highly anti-armour capable. The round was essentially a 9.55 x 72mm round - extremely larger that the 7.62 rifle rounds. NMI modified the H&H to be either a regular FMJ-AP round or a more robust Semi-Armour Piercing, High Explosive round (SAP-HE).

The 9mm bullets had a jacket of Copper or Coppernickel around the projectile while the projectile itself was hollowed and filled with an explosive compound and a delayed-detonation impact fuse...

When the round impacts a target, the jacket will initially help the projectile maintain its shape, allowing it to travel into the target before detonating almost immediately after impact. Positive side-effects were almost no cases of overpenetration, leading to reduced friendly-fire in CQC. The rounds were devastating against infantry and could be used in a limited role as a anti-materiel/light vehicle round.

On to the more pressing matter of the rifle itself, the NMI chose the almost legendary M14 battle rifle - although aging, the M14 had an impressive reliabilty, accuracy and power - having all the traits desired by the Nation of Nod's military.

The NMI bettered the design by building the entire frame out of machined aluminum, light-weight but strong, lowered the bore axis, resulting in a straight-line recoil opposed to upward recoil for increased accuracy against stationary and moving targets while negating muzzle climb, and a standard four sided picatinny rail system for the addition of a number of mounted accessory combinations...

The NMI dubbed this new system as the NMI 'Sentinel' Modular Combat System (MCS)...

Sentinel1.jpg

The standard layout of the NMI Sentinel MCS given to all light infantrymen

..features of the MCS included easy stripability for a possible 10 second field striping with optics still attached, a butt-stock inline with the barrel for further reduced felt recoil and muzzle climb, the ability to mount any modular optics, foregrips, laser designators, muzzle breaks, silencers, under-slung weapons systems, barrels with differing lengths, and a mounted bayonet.

Sentinel2.jpg

An MCS system outfitted for the squad support role - a drum magazine, reflex scope, bipod and bayonet attachment

...the Sentinel was suitable for any battlefield task at hand, given it is outfitted with the proper modifications. Sentinels have been seen in the Squad Support, Designated Marksman and even CQC combat roles, all with varying appearances, but sharing the same reliable frame.

Sentinel3.jpg

A Sentinel outfitted for the marksmanship role, seen with an enlongated barrel, high-res scope and side-mounted flashlight attachment.

This unique weapon did have some drawbacks however - using the powerful H&H cartridge meant that there would still be a noticable recoil (although felt recoil is drastically reduced!) especially on fully automatic fire, thus, the Sentinel was limited to a low 400-500 RPM to maintain control of the beast. This lack of Rate of Fire was a deciding factor in developing the later NMI Ripper system.

The weapon was also prone to overheating during sustained firing - either a barrel shroud (which limited the addons that could be attached) would be required or the operator would need to use discretion when firing in fully automatic.

Also, the wide-spread usage of the special SAP-HE rounds has drawn unwanted criticisms from the World Community - denouncing such firepower and its results on human flesh and tissue as barbaric - straining relations with its neighbours...

Overall, the benefits far outweight the cons of the 'Sentinel', this Battle Rifle has subsequently been distributed to all branches of the Nation of Nod's military...

OOC:Ugh, i really dont like this post...i need to make it more fluffy.

Now where did I put that yeast?

A breakdown of what the SAP-HE rounds do:

Basically, these rounds are from light elephant guns. In Africa, the absolute minimum you can use on Elephants legally is the H&H .375 round...

On top of that, i've filled these steel/copper/copper-nickel rounds with a percussion cap or however you say it and HE. The rounds are Semi-Armor Piercing, High Explosive, which means the round impacts the target, where the steel or copper jacket maintains the bullet's shape for a little while, until the percussion cap is struck and the round detonates. This is based off of the original pistol's rounds in Halo: CE.

The effect is devastating against unarmoured targets. The round would penetrate quite deeply, although the cap would be struck before the bullet over penetrates within the victim's body, usually. If not, then the round overpenetrates. When it explodes, its nothing comparable to a grenade or anything, but it is enough to probably sever the man's torso completely.

Against armoured targets, the round would detonate much much earlier, within the woven fabric or armor plates or even between the armour and the flesh, destroying the armour and the wearer's body, albeit with a reduced damage to his body, its still devastating.

Against super-heavy targets, like Lavo or Lynneth armour, I dunno. If their armour is ubergodly strong, which i doubt, then the round would detonate outside the armour, which would create the HESH effect, or detonate in the outer most layers, which would destroy the armour. Even if the latter is the case, due to human limitations, this would still cause horrendous damage, at least concussions.

At least, that is how i get this. But not to worry, these rounds are ferocious, and the Sentinel Battle Rifle can only fire them reliably at semi-auto. The full auto function is pretty slow... slower than the WWII BAR, and is impractical due to the recoil. The only gun that can fire these full auto is the M60 sized Torrent Machine gun, a full sized Squad Automatic weapon based on the MG 42 or newer MG 3.

In any case, even if the armour was enough to fully protect from the round, yadda yadda yadda, the soldier would still be knocked flat on his $@!, regardless.

Obviously, the effectiveness of the round is proportional to how strong or protected the victim is. The bigger they are... the harder they get hurt.