Azerbaijan celebrates Republic Day

Agostinho Neto

President Ilham Aliyev has told Azerbaijani celebrating three months of independence from Nova Roma that "Azerbaijan has a reserved slot in the future". Mr Aliyev was speaking after raising the Azerbaijani flag at Baku's Presidential Palace, where the Roman flag was lowered in late November 2008. Troops paraded in the streets of Baku, with a few platoons showing off the Byzantine era uniforms and flags. President Aliyev praised the work of those who fought for Azerbaijan's freedom but said the Azerbaijani people must be strong, and never give up. "We are a young nation. Once unleashed, the energy of our youth will drive Azerbaijan onto a new growth path" Prime Minister Ali Kerimli said.

Hundreds of balloons in the colours of the Azerbaijani flag were released into the air. Amid tight security, Mr Kerimli said: "I assure you that for each one of you, a new bright future has yet to come." But he also said a lot of Azerbaijani enjoyed the benefits of one of the fastest growing economies in the Transcaucasus. "Three months ago we started a new journey. We were inspired by democratic thoughts and views. We succeded in the creation of the greatest of the transcaucasian Republics" he added

President Aliyev urged the Government to work hard to "Avoid economic recession". Mr Aliyev pledged to press ahead with industrialisation and improving infrastructure. Analysts say there is clear concern among Azerbaijan's leaders that the benefits of its booming economy have not reached a vast majority of its population. But despite this, the mood in Azerbaijan is upbeat, with many believing that the country has finally emerged out of its European shadow to take its position on the global stage. Azerbaijan is on its own since now. As celebrations got under way across Azerbaijan, a huge security operation swung into action to thwart possible threats. Helicopters and hundreds security forces have been deployed to fend off what the government says are threats by international terrorism. In Baku, around 700 policemen and military troops were posted at government buildings, diplomatic enclaves and main intersections.

610x.jpg

OOC:

Fun fact: It happened three years ago, on my time scale. =3

OOC: Yes the time scale is a kinda unrealistic, its impossible for a nation to build all the improvements i have in just 3 months, at least in real life, but still i prefere to use 1 day = 1 day scale and pretend those improvements were "previously started".

OOC: Yes the time scale is a kinda unrealistic, its impossible for a nation to build all the improvements i have in just 3 months, at least in real life, but still i prefere to use 1 day = 1 day scale and pretend those improvements were "previously started".

OOC: meh, works well enough, i suppose.

IC: Promised Land congratulates Azerbaijan on this landmark acheivement as a nation.